Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The Undiscovered Country is such a treat. I remember seeing it in the theater as a kid but a lot of the Cold War allegory went over my head. Just watched it again a few days ago for the first time in probably 30 years. I think it's my favorite Star Trek movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Seemlar posted:

It doesn't help that Odo's actions are quite literally swept under the carpet, off screen in a closet, never to be spoken of again, the episode after the occupation ends.

Classic Ron Moore

Ron Moore: *throws a dart at the board* Yeah we're going to make Odo one of the Final Five

Rene: What?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Judge Dredd would beg to differ :colbert:
and be wrong obviously

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
*Odo shapeshifiting into Slavoj Žižek at Quark's bar* I already am eating from the trash can all the time. The name of this trash can is ideology.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
What about a communist impersonating a cop? :thunk:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Lemniscate Blue posted:

First Contact is a good movie. It is not good Star Trek.

:hmmyes:

The only TNG movie that felt like Star Trek was Generations. All subsequent Star Treks, including the JJTreks, are generic sci fi movies with Star Trek veneers.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I'm glad I skipped Picard, it looked awful.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
How many times across the original star trek and TNG did the enterprise leave the galaxy? For some reason I thought it was a lot but when I tried to think of specific episodes I could only come up with that TNG episode with the Traveler. Even when Q blasted them to see the borg for the first time it was still in the milky way.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Atlas Hugged posted:

The Motion Picture is loving brilliant. Space battles are a little treat we get sometimes if we're nice, but this is what Star Trek should be about.

:hmmyes: 1 2 and 6 are all top-tier trek. TMP is obviously totally tonally different, but it's the only one of the star trek movies that really nails that feeling from the Q quote about space being wonderous subtle and gross but not for the timid. I can't rank it above 2 or 6 just because I have great memories of those, but I would've loved being in the theater to see TMP and even that long enterprise fly-by in star dock.

Anyway. Dennis Villeneuve enchanting Star Trek movie when?

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 24, 2023

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Feldegast42 posted:

Tarantino needs to make his Star Trek first sorry

I'd love this as a legacy sequel to DS9 except it's all set in Quark's and it's basically Reservoir Dogs except it's over gold pressed latinum instead of jewelry. Weyoun cuts off Odo's ear and it grows right back

edit: except that René Auberjonois is dead, drat

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 24, 2023

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yes, they are all good, even if some are better than others. I would watch any of the TOS movies over any of the TNG movies.

It pains me to agree with this sentence but it's true :negative:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

MikeJF posted:

Lower Decks is great guys watch it if you don't and come hang in the modern trek thread as well.

I can't handle the modern Trek thread, Trek hasn't been good since What You Leave Behind :corsair:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

DavidCameronsPig posted:

The trick to enjoying TMP is to approach it as classical music album with some weird cool trippy visuals instead of as a blockbuster film that's supposed to depict a sequence of events occurring.

:hmmyes: It's 2001 with Kirk Spock and Bones. Don't need to hear anything else for me to be all about it.

edit for something not so snide: Like 2001, I am still amazed at the special effects for the time. That spacedock shuttle flyby is panned by modern audiences for being slow and boring, but it's the first time the Enterprise (and not just the Enterprise, but the refit Connie) was on the big screen, and watching the movie back in the 80s was like watching Apollo 11 footage. Like it was promise of the future.

Obviously the future turned out suck and now TMP is basically retro-futurism, but goddamn at that time it was amazing. Plus the size and scope of V'Ger. TMP captured the majesty of space in a way that none of the other Star Trek movies (and which only a few episodes of any Star Trek series) ever did.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 27, 2023

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

nine-gear crow posted:

I love how both of those options look legitimately better than the actual canon "Enterprise-G".

Is that the one from Picard or that fat-bellied barge from STO?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

MikeJF posted:

Neocon class for short I guess.

:scolbert: :gonk:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

No Dignity posted:

The Kazon are lowkey one of the most racist bits in Star Trek

Admiral Cartwright voice: The alien trash of the galaxy.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Rewatching the TOS movies and I realized that the nautical, sub-in-space vibe of those films really gives them a sense of verisimilitude that all the other movies and shows lack. It's in a bunch of little things like Kirk calling for fulll astern. Cliff Eidelman's score in TUD with all the snare drums really adds to that feeling.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 30, 2023

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Arivia posted:

It does a good job of adding to the tension in BSG, which turns the space navy dial much higher.

:hmmyes: Star Trek was best with the Navy vibe and the modern series could use more of it

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
There has to be a post somewhere in this thread with all the Enterprises posted in order :spock:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Years of weaponized nostalgia have vaccinated me against legacy sequels and I am extremely glad that I had no urge to watch Picard

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
*mourning that ent c kitbash* look at how they massacred my boy

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I always wondered, are those like, floor windows in the saucer section?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Klingons are just drunk fat vets mostly, posting that Praxis was an inside job on DawI and bIQ

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
With all the crazy poo poo the enterprise gets into I would under no circumstances want to serve on it tbqh

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Tunicate posted:

Bajorans look like they're good tippers but they just leave tracts about how you should pay less attention to profits and more attention to the prophets

:hmmyes:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
i remember getting a good lol at Chakotay's "Was anybody on that ship working for me?" after Seska. Chakotay's crew had more moles than the Tom Cruise IMF smh

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
anyone have that gif of voyager smashing into the giant reset button at the end of Year of Hell?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

:discourse:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

No Dignity posted:

Honestly the revisionism on here around BSG is insane. The show started to get a little shaky around S3 and the ending was insanely stupid but the first two seasons were captivating and the popularity of the show as it aired was completely justified

:hmmyes: everything up to the escape from New Caprica was fantastic, minus some goofy characterization and pant-seat writing choices. But I never saw a show fall apart as hard as BSG did until GOT came out.

Edit - House of Cards maybe

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 8, 2024

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
*Replacing Soundgarden's Spoonman with racist spoonhead lyrics*

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Taear posted:

Also yea what the heck zoomer are you speaking to that's like that

I saw one of these in Tár

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

counterfeitsaint posted:

This is a great example of why prequels are garbage and make every setting worse.

:hmmyes: The only example I can think of where the prequel is better is (lol) Spartacus Gods of the Arena, and even then the writers still try to jam too much backstory and explanation into the plot. GotA is as good as it is almost entirely because of John Hannah chewing scenery as Batiatus. So I guess what I'm saying here is, if you want a good prequel, get John Hannah.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Boxturret posted:

My dream is ending tng after all good things and not making a bunch of movies I have to ignore.

But how can you not love old doddering Picard, sad fat Riker, and all the nostalgia bait you never wanted?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've said before that while I've seen TNG in passing, and obviously I've seen the big episodes like Best of Both Worlds and All Good Things, but I've never done a proper watch. As I'm nearly done with Enterprise, I plan to binge through Discovery to catch up with with season 5 as it wraps up. Then, I'm finally going to do a proper TNG watch. I am very excited to see consistently good Trek (after season 1...) week after week.

To be honest, I think TNG really only bats about .500. Even past season one there are some really bad episodes (though most are just average). It's just the good ones are so good that they carried the franchise for years.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

feedmyleg posted:

I just vibe more with the average episode of TNG.

Hell, same

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

FlamingLiberal posted:

Reg is way more interesting than any of those characters

And way way better acted. I grew up knowing Dwight Schultz from TNG and the first time I saw the A-Team I couldn't believe it was him.

Hell, I'd say after Patrick Stewart he's probably the best actor in TNG (easy) and maybe the entire franchise (not counting movie villains like Christopher Plummer or Tom Hardy).

The Nth Degree wouldn't be as great of an episode as it is if the actor couldn't pull off the Flowers for Algernon transformation, and Schultz just crushes it. Those two contrasting Shakespeare scenes are so good.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 27, 2024

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

skasion posted:

Cyrano de Bergerac isn’t Shakespeare. I have no idea who did write it tbh, but it can’t be Shakespeare bc 1) he’s French 2) the real Cyrano lived after Shakespeare was dead.

You're right! I forgot it was Cyrano.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Make Star Trek Master and Commander in Space

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Speaking of changing what aliens look like and the use of prosthetics Captain Rixx the Bolian probably used less than most people would assume because Michael Berryman's hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia gives him a distinct look already.

Conspiracy was such a great episode. I have no idea how Remmick's death ever got on TV back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Anyone have that gif of Bashir showing Dax the data pad that says GO AWAY