Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Soul Dentist posted:

Like half of these are racial slurs. The other half sound worse somehow

"Mr. Spunk, please come immediately."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Boxturret posted:

The intonation is really different.

Yep. One's "Speelk", the other is more of a "spihlk". Same with Spirk and Spirk.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

As soon as VOY came up with an excuse to keep the holodeck running despite their desperate situation, it was pretty clear that they weren't going to go anywhere interesting with the premise but just recycle all the TNG scripts that hadn't been good enough to make it into season seven, which was already a step down from the higher quality of the middle years. It's a drat shame too because a Voyager that forced itself to come up with new scripts, even limited as it was in our timeline not to have the long-running continuity of DS9, would certainly have found a voice for its characters instead of languishing with a bunch of wooden stereotypes.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

No Dignity posted:

That's on the Voyager writers for making them boring.

Literally every script Harry gets in the back half of the show is 'I'm a gay worthless loser but I'm going to do one interesting thing before going back to yelling "impulse engines are offline!" for the rest of the season'

Whoa there don't try and foist Harry on the gay community. That man's sexual psyche is so screwed up he's too weird to even qualify as queer. Countless lives were saved by Harry spending his twenties 70,000 light years away from all the easily stranglable young Risa tourists of every gender.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's more boring than anything else, but Christ whose loving idea was it to change them from truly alien aliens to just African-inspired humanoids?

IIRC, the episode director, who was so racist the cast was pissed.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Boxturret posted:

Couldn't they have thought of some other menial job to have them doing? We now have lots of automation and mechanisation in mines, and even in TNG they had some fancy laser mining station. Why a bunch of men with pickaxes.

Some may argue that a diamond is still a diamond, even if it is one among millions. But blood diamonds shine brighter still because of all the suffering that has gone into them.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

NJM posted:

I've never actually watched TAS, except for bits & pieces. I didn't know the holodeck was introduced in it. Reading the episode description, sounds like the holodeck malfunction was there from the start. Interestingly, on Memory Alpha, they say the TNG writers probably weren't inspired by the TAS version.

Is TAS worth going back to? I haven't really found the parts I've watched to really be all that engaging

If nothing else, watching Yesteryear is a great examination of Spock. Even when TAS wasn't fully canon, Yesteryear was the exception.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

He was already ruined by episode 13...

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

As a gay dude I like The Outcast except for how they were too chicken to have Riker make out with a dude. They should have had it be another man. And there should have been nudity and full penetration.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Didn't that capitalist they woke up from cryosleep figure out the Romulans they were dealing with that week were bluffing just because he had a lot of experience in business negotiations before Troi could?

Well yeah but in her defense she was terribly written that season. And the next four. And also the last one. And the first thirteen episodes of season six and also the last twelve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

CPColin posted:

Good news: I just watched "Endgame" to keep up with Greatest Gen and now I never have to watch Voyager again

Bad news: Enterprise is next :ohdear:

You're allowed to stop, you know. You don't have to watch everything Star Trek just because it's Star Trek. Don't make my mistake.