Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just realized that I've never purchased any of the Lower Decks blu-rays and should rectify that (after the post above saying Amazon is out of Season 4). Are there extras on the disks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Voyager has seven Emmys, The Wire only has two.

Well then maybe The Wire should have had more episodes set on alien planets! :smuggo:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure Baltimore was destroyed in WW3.

It was royally hosed in the Expanse series.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

I think the D7 and the newer Vor’Cha(?) Klingon ships aren’t appreciated enough. Much better than the bird of prey, big or small.

This is where you crush me and reveal they’re basically copied from another TV show or book or something.

The D 7 is still my favorite Trek ship after the Refit Connie. I was stoked when the Vor'cha showed up in TNG as I was never a big fan of the bird of prey as well.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sash! posted:

Kirk did recite the Pledge of Allegiance then admonish the aliens for not following the true Consitution

For decades people have said Spock's Brain was the dumbest TOS episode but that one was the worst piece of crap ever conceived in the show's entirety.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

zoux posted:

I never loved the Odo Kira stuff

It never worked for me because Odo is a fascist and I doubt Kira would have had anything to do with him beyond "I work with this rear end in a top hat"

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 6, 2024

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Squizzle posted:

star wars got the mandalorian,we got the delorean man

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

zoux posted:

Vulcans are what, twice as strong as a human?

No more like 8x. Spock smashing the computer like it was aluminum foil is a good demonstration.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Better yet, with direct manipulation of the molecules involved, the replicators can make stuff that tastes a specific way but has the nutritional content you need (and possibly zero calorie if necessary.)

That would be the dream, order whatever you want and the ship's computer already knows how much you ate per day, your BMR, and how much you exerted yourself on the ship and gives you the exact amount of calories and nutrients you need to be 100% healthy, craving free, and ideal weight.

I think the computer is limited on what it knows about you when it comes to things like blood sugar levels, nutrients taken in (You might have had a protein bar you had in your pocket from a while back that you didn’t replicate etc) as you still have to have medical scans done to you to find out what’s up. In TMP those little tech looking belt buckles WERE medical scanners that were supposed to feed info to the computer all the time but iirc in one official book they mentioned those were short lived because many SF members started neglecting going to sick bay for regular check ups because they figured the belt info was enough.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The question is when the gently caress are we going to see a female Vulcan go through Pon Farr?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

Sounds like someone didn't watch Enterprise.

TBF I haven't watched it since it aired so I completely forgot about T'Pol.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I would listen to the everliving poo poo out of this

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Phy posted:

Reminded me of my headcanon for how much the first four engineers swear

:hmmyes:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I haven't watched Enterprise in decades but the one thing I remember that still annoys me is hearing that T'Pol was originally written to be a young T'Pau from Amok Time but then they decided not to do that. I still think it would have been an interesting thread to do.

Yeah it was creepy how may times they sexualized situations with her for no reason other than Maxim Magazine was cultrually popular so might as well tits this place up, boys.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

LividLiquid posted:

I used to think about this as a kid. Why not just embed stun phasers into every room on the ship?

IIRC there was one time where the Enterprise in TOS used the ship's phasers set to stun to knock out a big crowd of people on the surface of a planet. I wondered why that wasn't used more than once.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Squizzle posted:

indiscriminately lazor-sedating a few neighborhoods surely wont create any negative externalities

But that drat dog wouldn't shut up! We had to do SOMETHING

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Arivia posted:

Honestly the thing I see here is someone’s pride and joy. There’s an incredible amount of work put into organizing, staging, etc. it’s overwhelming but it’s obviously a labour of love, if that makes sense.

I completely agree- and there are some wild things that I never knew existed on that person's collection, like the different Star Trek character thimbles!

Also I had forgotten how awful the JJ Trek phasers looked.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Fighting Trousers posted:

drat, "Duet" is so loving good.

I'll go ahead and say it: I'm glad Michelle Forbes passed on DS9, because Kira Nerys is a better character than Ro Laren.

I can agree that Kira was better for DS9, but Ro was better for TNG.

galenanorth posted:

On CBS Sunday Morning, there was a media interview with a birdwatcher and nature show host who is also a Star Trek fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1E71CwXJhI

Edit: In the video, he credits being a fan of Spock for helping him stay calm and rational during an incident where a dogwalker threatened to lie to the cops that "an African-American male" was threatening her life and her dog, then she called the cops

As a kid with wildly overwhelming emotions, Spock was also my role model. :unsmith:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

I'd say Olmos walks off set after a week because he can't stand the Klingon makeup and thinks the script is dogshit, never does anything sci-fi related again.

I'd pay real earth dollars to see Olmos playing a Klingon captain like El Pachuco.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

No Dignity posted:

Starfleet is a very NATO-vibes organisation, I can see it

It was originally staffed by nazis?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

A.o.D. posted:

Germany is not a charter member of NATO.

:eng101: https://www.historynet.com/these-nato-generals-had-unusual-backgrounds-they-served-in-the-third-reich/

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

Starfleet is a direct descendent of the United Earth Space Probe Agency which can trace its lineage directly to NASA so yes.

:hmmyes:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The only thing good about all of the JJ Trek movies is Carl Urban.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Nonetheless, it was still dumb as poo poo

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Der Kyhe posted:

Also worth keeping in mind, it is as close as cartoon show for adults in network TV you could get at the times, it clearly isn't written for children...

unfortunately that isn't true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctobqk0RFeE

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

bull3964 posted:

I mean, yeah but...

Ever take a look at an early TMP poster?

drat I vaguely remember that thing. I was a lad so I was mostly going "Look at those warp nacelles!" and going :eyepop: at the crew photos.

I didn't notice how weird it looked.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah especially because 6 is a really important one for me. I don't want to buy the 4K set unless it's included.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I put on the JJ Trek movie the other night because I haven't seen in in years and years and thought I'd give it a go and boy did I forget how much I really hated the part with the car.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Feldegast42 posted:

Granted I've never given ENT a fair shake but man does it have the worst opening theme known to man

It was made even worse since the Voyager opening is probably the best in all of Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mostly because it's ecofascist nonsense.