Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

For readouts and graphics, TNG did occasionally, but it was much more complex, since for the most part moving stuff was bluescreened onto the consoles. Stuff like this

https://i.imgur.com/Nm6W1Gf.mp4

Or even just them sitting around at the back consoles reading a databank entry like this, would largely be bluescreen.

DS9 being later could set things up with integrated flat-front CRTs where they could have readout loops running in the background. TNG could've started to do that in the last few seasons, I suppose, but the sets were already designed, and it wasn't really possible to put a CRT inside those big flat black-glass bridge stations. Cardassian consoles were specifically set up to be able to hide CRTs.

This is cool. I feel like the early-on ones you can really tell they're real screens are like TNG Naked Now where the computer readout is monochrome. I don't recall that happening much more often in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU