Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Also loving disney managed to exactly replicate a guy's homestead, including the house, exact river bend and old tree, just to get thr land for disney world

Have any more info on this? Sounds like an interesting read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

I am the nerdiest of nerds.

What the hell is that ship supposed to be

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

They should lean into that. Next time we meet Harry Kim in-universe he's head of a huge hydroponics research station putting out the Federation's dankest, and yet he's somehow still an Ensign

You can't replicate crystals like these bro

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Would show impressive restraint if not

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are your father's feelings on Margaret Thatcher

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there a good Voyager "essential" viewer's guide? Might try it with my partner after we finish DS9.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hell yeah. Glad its canon now that Miles O'Brien is the most important person in Starfleet history.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Plotac 75 posted:

I found myself watching an episode of the godawful miserable television series Seven Days, and I'm wondering: How do I recognize this kid...? Well there it is, turns out it was Scarlett Pomers, who played Naomi Wildman on that other show that aired on UPN at the time, Voyager.

Seriously though Seven Days is an unfortunate waste of an interesting premise.

Just like Voyager. :garak:

Isn't that the kid that auditioned for Anakin? I thought his performance was much more naturalistic than Lloyd's.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Being well cast as a bad actor does not make you a good actor

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MrMojok posted:

I do know a couple of people who insist on watching them as they originally aired, but I have never really understood that. The CGI changes to TOS are nothing but great IMO, none of them are intrusive, or make any significant changes... the ship scenes just look a lot better.

Could not disagree more with this. The CGI updates are largely atrocious, with the majority of shots not even attempting to match the 60s aesthetic. There's an occasional well-done shot by one of the effects houses, but by and large they look incredibly out of place and add nothing. They look exactly like cheap 2010s CGI suddenly interrupting a show made in the 1960s.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Question for the thread;

I’m about to start a Star Trek Adventures TTRPG campaign but a couple of the players have watched very little/none of the shows and only have a passing knowledge of the characters you’d expect (Kirk, Spock, Picard, etc). Because of this they’re a little apprehensive about playing in a setting they’re so unfamiliar with, but I really want them to play anyway because I know they’ll have fun.

Do any of you know of a decent video that basically recaps and summarizes the bulk of the TNG/DS9 era, preferably one made with newbies in mind?

How much time are they willing to put in? Rowan J Coleman has a good series but they're long:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0nUOPq31Ug

Maybe have 'em watch the OT and TNG ones.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Enterprise intro is actually extremely evocative of what the premise for the show was, but the main thing there is that the premise the show was designed for wasn't very good or very Star Trekky.

It's about being a prequel and how the show is going to be about some big milestones in human history (rather than the typical exploring outwardly that defines the franchise). The more "modern" (and dated) musical style really denotes how the show is planning to be a lot more modern and down to earth and actiony (and coincidentally most of the decisions they made in that direction made the show extremely dated). The theme purposely broke from Trek tradition because the show itself is trying to buck a lot of Trek tradition. And then the faith bit I guess connects with how Archer does seem like the most sanctimonious captain, his actions justified both from the innate value of the Earth and from the fact that everything he does will in theory lead to the rest of the franchise. He's a Great Man explorer pushing the boundaries with his special innate strength of soul.

Okay but the song sucks and is bad

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
BIG RECOMMEND: check out the Wah Chang Vimeo channel. Uploading lots of archival special effects tests, behind the scenes footage, and HD versions of some of his commercial effects work.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Was having trouble getting my TNG/SNW-loving partner into TOS, even after Menagerie, Balance of Terror, and a Space Seed/TWOK double-feature. That is until we popped on Star Trek IV. Being a woman of taste she adored it, and it made the TOS cast finally click for her. Now we're gonna plow through the whole thing :cool:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ate there any good Trek Discord servers?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If planets are terraformed, I think we can safely say they figured out how to deal with climate change on Earth

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, it's a fun one.

Also, my partner and I are bouncing around Treks after finishing SNW and TNG, mostly catching TOS but also a bit of DS9 and the movies and an occasional LDS. I asked her what show she was in the mood for and what tone last night, and she said she was open to anything. So I took a chance and we watched the salamander Voyager episode.

I hadn't watched Voyager since syndication, and the first thing that struck me is just how utterly lifeless the production design was. The second thing is just how true it is that the show chokes itself to death on technobabble. The third was that the characters are just not compelling or well-written.

These are not unique observations, naturally, but I figured they were overstated in my memory and in discussion. But nope. First thing my partner said was "This show really isn't well-written, is it?" followed soon after by "These characters aren't very good."

Still, I'm gonna watch one of the film serial episodes soon, I remember those being super fun. They also got me into film serials, which I'm not sure if I should be thankful for or not.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

There, it has the effect of "oh, I guess the Bird of Prey's bridge is uh, inside an empty cargo bay now?", it looks bad in that context.

I think that's supposed to be the neck of the ship. Kinda dumb that there's no door back there, but an interesting interpretation.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hell, ESP in general got largely dropped outside of betazoids, didn't it? Makes sense since TOS came out during that time when it was a relatively mainstream belief that ESP in humans was real.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Knormal posted:

I miss sci-fi with weird future fashion. It feels like everything now just goes for pretty much modern styles, but possibly grungier. Give me more catsuits and neon.

Unfortunately, as a society we've finally realized the future isn't going to be cool and fun, it's going to be boring and bad

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Interfering with a cowboy planet should be against the Prime Directive, even if they've had first contact. You can't risk modernizing a cowboy planet.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
All humans in the future have a 4 letter name that starts with K and ends with K and has one vowel in the middle.

Just wait for the Captain Kuck episode

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just vibe more with the average episode of TNG.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I was raised to be a Trekkie, but I never actually watched TOS. It just wasn't in syndication in my area. But I'm familiar with a lot of the content of TOS because I saw the movies, I played Star Trek games on my dad's Apple II, I even have a copy of the comic book where Spock uses Vulcan Voodoo. (I have seen "The Cage" because I rented it on VHS.)

So I've been slowly watching TOS and it's crazy. I just finished "The Naked Time" and the infection is basically just a metaphor for the stresses that a starship crew are under every day. Toward the end, McCoy even compares the effect to simple drunkenness--and then Spock makes advances in applied physics in a few minutes through the power of getting drunk and talking about his feelings.

Hell yeah. TOS is the best.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Disco will only be decanonized if a particularly spiteful fan gets control of the franchise in 20 years and creates a show to specifically to scrub its timeline from history. But even then, the mycelial network and the conditions for the burn and all that implies will stick around.

More likely it'll just be quietly ignored outside of an occasional sideways glance, like how SNW treats it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Maybe I'm part of the problem, but I'd rather watch a good HD upscale of DS9/VOY with some occasional weird glitchy bit than the current poor DVD encode on its own. It's unfortunate but both of those series look terrible right now and it's a huge bummer. Obviously we should all hope for an eventual proper restoration, but it's not a lamentable thing to have a version that is easier on the eyes on a big HDTV. There's some solid amateur AI upscales of other SD shows popping up on YouTube these days.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, SNW anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Feldegast42 posted:

Granted I've never given ENT a fair shake but man does it have the worst opening theme known to man

Sorry, it's a strong runner-up, but I've got to give it to Firefly. Enterprise's at least has a camp factor to it.