Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HD DAD posted:

Picard makes Nemesis look like a drat good time.

Remember when the lamest thing Picard was in was a dopey movie about clones and dune buggies? What quaint and innocent times those were....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Angry Salami posted:

That is the charitable reading. The uncharitable reading is that they looked at an episode about how the 'savages' on the frontier are actually sapient beings with their own valid point of view who can be negotiated with, and decided "No, wouldn't it be cooler if they actually were monsters to be exterminated? Nits make lice!"

Believe it or not, they actually thought they were doing TOS and the Gorn a favor:

Wikipedia posted:

The writers discussed ways to incorporate the Gorn without contradicting the fact that the characters in "Arena", which is set around seven years after the events of this season, have not seen the species before. Perez explained that their goal for the series was to not "undo people's experience with The Original Series, but if we can manage it, perhaps to give us an interesting perspective to consider that lines up with the original stories".[24] Specifically discussing the line "I face the creature the Metrons called a Gorn" spoken by William Shatner's James T. Kirk in "Arena", Perez explained that "maybe Kirk has never seen them, he could even be one of those people who still doubts the stories, or maybe even he has seen them and they don't look the same".[25] Some of the ways that the series attempts to maintain continuity include featuring the Gorn in the backstory of La'an Noonien-Singh, a character who does not appear in The Original Series; not actually showing them in "Memento Mori" when Gorn starships are seen;[24] and only showing baby Gorn in "All Those Who Wander".[25]

Apparently the implications of the Gorn reproductive cycle never crossed their minds.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

i never really watched boston legal when it was on the air, were those jump cuts and weird pans in the original? good lord that's distracting

That obnoxious faux-documentary handheld style was in vogue at the time, you can thank NYPD Blue and 24 for that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

95% of Threshold is a perfectly average Star Trek episode but then lizard Kathy and lizard Tom hosed. If it weren't for the lizard babies at the end we would barely remember it

This is nuts, the episode treats both Trek science and real science with all the respect and coherence of any random paragraph of Time Cube, it's 42 minutes of :techno: mad libs capped off with salamander gently caress larva.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yo momma's so fat that Starfleet's only charted 19% of her

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Honestly when Q isn't playing Judge, I don't really like him very much. He's a dick and a nuisance despite how outrageous the performances are. DS9 having a single episode with him and Sisko punching him in the mouth is honestly the best way to have handled him. Good loving riddance.

It works best in "Q Who?" when he's teaching the crew a lesson with alternating smug aloofness and somber import, and "Deja Q" where he's copping his usual self-superior dickhole attitude but without the power to back it up, everyone's just so over him.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

I like any episode where Harry Kim dies.

https://twitter.com/TVMoJoe/status/1672303666269933568

I'd post this in the other thread but I haven't seen this weeks SNW yet. Nevertheless, what the gently caress?

It was already posted, also gently caress paramount for canceling The Objectively Best Modern Trek t:mad:t

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Really makes O'Brien's lines in Bar Association even better somehow, knowing they line up with Colm's actual views.

He was more than a hero -- he was a union man.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A lot of people said the same thing about Obi-Wan, too.

I wasn't convinced.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The one with the Bynars frickin rules you reprobates

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

:c00l:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arivia posted:

a Very Good Episode.

FOR ME TO POOP ON

I'm of two minds about Section 31. On the one hand, the enemies-of-decency-and-transparency take is a good one and in a vacuum it's okay to have an internal force of semi-institutional corruption to fight against, to prove that the "evolved sensibilities" can stand up to scrutiny and pressure and come out on top.

On the other, it planted a seed in the minds of writers that bore bitter fruit in our blighted post-9/11 world -- that there must be a force of HARD MEN making HARD CHOICES to protect ARE FREEDUMS, answerable to no one and beholden to no ethical or moral restraints, even in the optimistic utopian future, and gently caress that poo poo forever. Can we have just one future setting that doesn't involve this goddamned cynical nihilistic actually-better-things-aren't-possible poisonous bullshit, just ONE?!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

It doesn't have to be flawless, but the implication that it really only worked because of S31 or that they're largely happy to tolerate S31 the way America tolerates the CIA's darker stuff is pushing it far too much for me. S31 on DS9 was fine because it was a cabal and not well known and even inside Starfleet's Admiralty it seemed like only a few knew about it, and our characters immediately know that this was wrong on a fundamental level and fought it. When you get into the point presented in Disco or Picard where S31 is a well established entity in Starfleet and our characters just put up with it or it takes them a whole drat season to come around to 'oh this is probably bad', you're just reducing the Federation back to nothing more than Space America. It should at least be a bit beyond that.

The fact that as of PIC S3 apparently Worf and Riker and Picard know about Section 31 and while they may not be happy are just fine to accept its existence as a secret but official part of Starfleet with their own space stations and poo poo is just no to me.

Thank you, this is precisely what I was trying to get at.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

You can live with it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I love how Torres' idea of a realistic family wasn't just dysfunctional by 24th century standards, but practically by Jerry Springer standards. Got some things you wanna get off your chest, B'lanna?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sash! posted:

Plus, there's a lot of stuff that would make more sense in the naval tradition and with the scale of the crew and operation.

Picard should probably been a Rear Admiral. Riker (CO) and Data (XO) would have been captains. Geordi and Crusher captains too. Worf would be a Colonel. Then there'd probably be an overall commander of the science operations (akin to the CAG on a carrier), who is also a captain. And probably another 15 or 20 staff officers of at least commander rank. Although they probably wouldn't need some roles like public relations on the staff, but would need additional diplomatic roles. Hell, they'd probably have a CAG too.

That kind of arrangement would definitely be more realistic, but wouldn't be as easy to follow for casual viewers. They do mention department heads and lower staff now and then on TNG but yeah, it's kinda crazy that seemingly all of the ship's operations are managed by the day shift senior staff.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sash! posted:

There's no way you could possibly have 50 regular cast members either

No, but it did make me think that you could have a Galaxy-class ship performing its original mission to fly out beyond Federation space on a long-term voyage of exploration, with several series taking place on the same ship like all those Chicago shows. Galaxy Command, Galaxy Medical, Ten-Forward, Lower Decks the Sitcom, the possibilities are endless!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

skasion posted:

If they wanted to do the midshipman thing where there’s a kid on the bridge learning the work, they should have just…had it be a thing, instead of making Wesley the only kid who gets to play with the big boy toys. Real, historical fighting navies have done it—you can argue that that was an insane thing for them to have done, but the Ent-D already has a bunch of civilians and literal children on board anyway! You could still spin plenty of drama out of him being the son of the doctor and the captain’s old friend. The focus on the uniqueness and genius of Wesley hurts more than it helps imo.

I agree with all of this, especially that last line. Anytime the Teen Wunderkind stuff comes up it's seriously groanworthy, it's good enough just to have him as a bright, promising young man who needs to learn the ropes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arivia posted:

I liked the Outrageous Okona! It was funny and the actor playing Okona had enough charisma to be interesting without overpowering everyone.

Take my Worf, please!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

dr_rat posted:

I'd like to think there is a difference between being a fan and a large portion of ones brain to be missing.

The Enterprise theme slaps

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've got to go with the classic: TOS theme is the best.

My man :respek:

Best modern one without a doubt.

Arivia posted:

Law & Order almost counts, except it was never in SD (it was always shot on film).

I think OTA NTSC transmission counts as SD.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Eimi posted:

Was it even popular with kids? I heard that it just got us Trekkies on board.

It aired on Nickelodeon and was available on its digital outlets, so at the least they were trying.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Angry Salami posted:

Again, Lwaxana.

In all seriousness, there's more than a bit of Kirk Drift going on here and it's starting to edge into Keiko the Demon Wife From Hell territory.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

And in The Cage one of the people that beams down to the planet tells the "survivors" that they've broken "the time warp barrier" so it's funny as hell to think about much of the stuff we take for granted as the bedrock of Star Trek just hadn't been figured out. Hell, Zefram Cochrane was supposed to come from Alpha Centauri, so somehow we'd traveled to and colonized other star systems before he invented warp drive. Glad we eventually retconned that.

The line was "Zefram Cochrane of Alpha Centauri", correct? If he became the first human to take up residence in another solar system, that in itself would almost certainly have been a significant enough achievement to earn that distinction even without being born there.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Lmao Chakotay just got spermjacked. Voyager is a weird show.

There's an amazing bit about this in a later episode that almost makes all the fake Indian mystical bullshit worth it.

"Acoocheymoya, I need the wisdom of my ancestors."
"What troubles you, my son?"
"I've discovered I have a son out of wedlock."
"You must accept a man's responsibility to care for your child."
"No you don't understand, the mother stole my DNA and impregnated herself without my knowledge."
"...wtf"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

As is customary, at this point I have to remind everyone that what Kevin Uxbridge did wasn't genocide, it was extinction, an entire magnitude worse crime.

Powered Descent posted:

The case of Talos IV is especially funny because later they established that the Talosians can project their illusions at least as far as Starbase 11, so there wasn't much point to only forbidding visits to the planet itself.

That isn't why Talos IV is forbidden, it's forbidden because it's possible to learn the Talosians' godlike power of illusion, as they themselves said.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Serenity now... TNG later

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

What the gently caress is up with all of these Vic Fontaine episodes?

Watch it pally

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

I feel like Babylon 5 setting up and resolving its war across 4 seasons did a much better job of keeping the viewer engaged than DS9 has done over 7 seasons. Season 5 of Babylon 5 is the weird one because everything is already sort of done but they got a sudden order for an additional season and had to come up with loose ends to wrap up. The cult of Dukat is at least better than the cult of Byron.

B5's arc was always planned that way, the only thing its cancellation/uncancellation flip flop did was move the first four episodes of season five into season four for closure on the war. The ep with Sheridan getting interrogated would've been the season four finale and the telepath cult stuff probably wouldn't have taken up as much space with those other four eps placed in the fifth season, otherwise everything went as planned.

And in that regard, I wish DS9 was more like B5. A season of securing the peace, getting things back to normal after such a massive conflict and exploring the Cardassian reconstruction would've been a lot more interesting than dragging out the war that much longer, I think.

DavidCameronsPig posted:

God I can’t believe I’m writing words to defend that twerp, but don’t assume automatically assume malice when a hack that obviously massively incompetent is involved.

You may note that Keeper North didn't ascribe creator intent to their interpretation, likely because it doesn't matter. Intentional or not, that's how it came off and it sucks massive assimilated donkey balls.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MuddyFunster posted:

A Matter of Perspective has a nice use for the holodeck, but it's a pretty dull whodunnit/courtroom drama with some preposterous scenes played over and over again. In the end, while YES the true killer is revealed (WHOOPS, SUCKS TO BE YOU), the whole seduction/attempted rape thing is entirely forgotten. I know the intent is probably supposed to be "she's clearly lying to cover up her clumsy seduction", but it doesn't really work without any kind of walk back. Naturally, Troi is loving useless so we never get a definitive answer beyond "that's the truth to her" or some poo poo.

YOU'RE A DEAD MAN APGAR, A DEAD MAN.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DesperateDan posted:

it gets copied pretty much wholesale for a voyager episode too

That's not how I remember it

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MuddyFunster posted:

Okay, somebody danced around this last week, worried about spoiling it for me, but I am HAPPILY spoiled. Now I know to brace for impact when she next turns up.

My brother's been taking the piss a bit, he's much more of a TNG head than me. When I mentioned I felt like I was through the worst of it, he was all "Oh, wait until you hit the sexy ghost episode!" I am clueless, but the way he said it makes me think I do not want to watch the sexy ghost episode.

It's a rite of honor. You must go through the sex ghost episode.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I meant what I said, it's a rite of honor. Enduring something truly horrible, your Code of Honors or Course: Oblivions or any random Picards, has no honor.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wait people don’t like Course: Oblivion? It’s one of the few Voyagers I genuinely love because it’s so bleak.

Wait, people do like it? It's Pointless Nihilism: The Episode, I'd rather get ludovico'd into a whole musical season of Picard than rewatch it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

No Dignity posted:

Gates McFadden really sells answering the door after having just got off too

I just watched "The Game" and she does practically the same thing when Wesley walks in on her playing the titular game. It's a unique skill but hey, actor's gotta act.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

...! posted:

And it doesn't help that Wil Wheaton himself somehow seems even more insufferable than his character. Still. At 51 years old.

He went full nerdlord. You never go full nerdlord.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CPColin posted:

It's like putting too much air into a crime against humanity!

And then something genocidal happens!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

davidspackage posted:

It's trite, but Dukat has become a lot more believable in light of guys like Trump and Musk writhing their way into the public consciousness; there are people who are utterly loathsome, who loathe individual people who don't have their status, and yet, deeply crave their approval and admiration as a whole, but are at the same time totally incapable of turning a critical lens on themselves, to achieve this.

Yes, the most fantastical thing about Dukat is that he's a truly cunning, charismatic individual who could maneuver his way into success on his own dark merits, instead of being carried there on a wave of nepotism and societal mass idiocy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Mudd's Women is the episode that has most leaned into the "wagon train to the stars" premise, but it's also just real bad. That loving accent on Mudd.

Mudd owns actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If anyone had actually paid attention to "The Enemy Within" it's not "good side/evil side". It's more like ego and id.