Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Drone posted:

Jean-Luc, blow up the drat thread!

So much for the Trek Thread-E. We barely knew her. Think they'll post another one?

"planty of latters lift in teh albavet" - nine-gear crow

(kidding, the op is pretty good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BioEnchanted posted:

I kind of like Eddison in Deep Space 9, the mid-series Security Chief for the Federation (alongside Odo as chief of Bajoran security), because he's just there as some guy. No major subplots so far or drama, he just does his job and goes home. It's an amusing contrast to everyone else having some kind of major personal stakes in every situation.

:allears: lol

eddington is one of the only people on the station that takes things incredibly personally, even if he later says it's not

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
just throwing it out there: eddington was a loving idiot for becoming a terrorist because he figured out how to grow plants

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

dr_rat posted:

Oh come on we all know 95% of all computation power in the federation goes to holodecks related activities.

Also it really doesn't make much sense with the amount of science people who would be replicating their food daily, that there wouldn't of been just a whole bunch of them who would of figured out many different ways to make food not taste identical every time you get it. Like this seems something that should be pretty trivial to figure out, and even in Starfleet crew members often seem to have time to work on what ever side projects they just feel like.

I put people complaining about the food as people just like to complain about poo poo. I don't care how far humanities advanced, people love to bitch and moan about random stuff. Oh this stake isn't michelin five stars delicious. Complete garbage. Utterly unedible swill.

complaining about the food is fine. we see lots of people cooking their own stuff: riker, sisko and even pike. riker and sisko in particular note that it either tastes better or provides more variety, and i think that's a pretty solid reason for doing it. i'm lazy as poo poo and probably wouldn't bother personally, but if they want to do that, then i don't see the harm

...however, becoming a terrorist because you've discovered tomatoes is insane

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

DesperateDan posted:

I remember not trusting eddington right from the start, and gently caress the original starfleet security guy who was up himself too, luckily he seemed to disappear like a tng first season chief of engineering

always figured replicated food was okay just a bit different and not in a great way- like it was reheated in the microwave

i think the writers said that was intentional. before the klingon arc derailed everything, the main threat of the show was the changelings — you were supposed to not be sure if he was an infiltrator, and to be fair, they do an excellent job of it. see also:

BioEnchanted posted:

I kind of like Eddison in Deep Space 9, the mid-series Security Chief for the Federation (alongside Odo as chief of Bajoran security), because he's just there as some guy. No major subplots so far or drama, he just does his job and goes home. It's an amusing contrast to everyone else having some kind of major personal stakes in every situation.

he's really pretty boring at first and just does his job, which is exactly what you'd expect from a changeling infiltrator

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

HD DAD posted:

I have his musical “Constable Odoooo” forever engraved in my brain for some reason

also gonna have to :yossame: this

it's tattooed. i'll probably have advanced dementia at some point and call people "con-stable ooodoooo"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Arglebargle III posted:

If Wishes Were Horses or The Storyteller?

gently caress it, i like "if wishes were horses". it's a more TOS-ish episode than TNG; it really reminds me of "shore leave", right down to children's book characters appearing and things seemingly going disastrously wrong. that said i don't think it's excellent or anything, maybe a solid C+

"the storyteller" is a D at best though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

holefoods posted:

I just want to know if Riker was a bad cook or if it really was just the eggs.

i think it's implied he's a terrible chef but just loves cooking anyway. which is fine, he looks like he enjoys the poo poo out of it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BioEnchanted posted:

I also like the Prophets because whatever they are trying to do it seems that they aren't TRYING to cause problems, they just have trouble with the concept of linear time, and so make mistakes. When asked questions directly, they are surprisingly forthcoming, you just need to know how to connect with them. They're mysterious but not in the way of being total assholes, the mystery is just a lack of communication. At least so far, I am only halfway done with the series.

*dukat-ishly* the prophets were completely full of poo poo

they understand linear time just fine, how else do you explain (end of series spoiler) sisko's whole arc? they basically possess his mom in order for him to be born, indicating a thorough understanding of how that would affect the future

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Arivia posted:

luckily i was mostly okay, i just needed to be kept calm while i was on the vent. i just sent some weird messages and stuff like the enterprise theme song thing, i knew where i was and what was going on.

sounds like a long road, getting from there to here

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BioEnchanted posted:

AH! But did they understand linear time at that point, or did that happen after Sisko taught them about linear time? All time exists at once for them after all, so maybe they altered that event in the past after Sisko spoke to them in the present.

I accidentally saw the spoiler making this post, but it was worth it. :v:

i don't see how that would work. this is giving a pretty significant chunk of plot away so i'll be careful: joe sisko has memories of her being basically (to borrow an episode title) his perfect mate (because the prophets needed sarah sisko and joe sisko to conceive ben sisko, who because of this is also part-prophet, apparently). she eventually snaps out of being possessed by a prophet and leaves him, and then later dies. he's got an old photo of her, which is how (ben) sisko identifies her in the first place. he doesn't remember her at all — he was raised by his stepmom, something his dad didn't ever tell him about until the episode in question (season 7's "image in the sand", if you're curious).

but basically if it were something the prophets had modified after meeting sisko then they'd probably be like "uh, who the hell was that?"

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 28, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BioEnchanted posted:

I think it's obvious, but my post there was a joke, making fun of how confusing things get. Or to quote both Miles' O'Brians: I hate temporal mechanics.

lol, some people truly don't get it anyway. it is pretty confusing!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Tunicate posted:

the pah wraiths were imprisoned purely because they were a different color than the other wormhole aliens, the interest in bajor is primarily in order to keep people from freeing their political prisoners

the prophets are the true wormhole fascists

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

dr_rat posted:

It should be noted that the Animated series is the only series to be officially considered cannon.

It itself being based off the 60's cultural crazy that was Spock flavored sugar smacks

lmao jesus christ

quote:

At the time of its introduction in the early 1950s, Sugar Smacks had the highest sugar content in the US cereal market (55% per weight), surpassing Sugar Crisp (later renamed "Golden Crisp") by competitor Post Cereal which had debuted with what The Oxford Companion to Sugar and Sweets would later call "an astonishing sugar content of 51 percent".

highly illogical

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Atlas Hugged posted:

So I'm thinking about the aphasia episode and there's that whole subplot with the space freighter alien and his cargo.

I can't tell if it's hilarious or dark or both. Dude really needed to go before his goods spoiled, but O'Brien was too busy to fix his ship, then everyone got put into quarantine, then the dude tried to leave on his own but the docking clamps were in place, then his whole ship detonated.

The guy was absolutely ruined because O'Brien was overworked.

and he got the aphasia virus anyway, lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BioEnchanted posted:

I heard that apparently Keiko isn't that well liked, which is weird to me because I always thought she was fine. She's very supportive (although without being a total doormat, she pushes back when Miles is being childish), and has fairly reasonable problems when they crop up. At least one of the Steve Shives video titles implies that fans don't like her.

there's a lot of really lovely misogynistic takes out there about her

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Atlas Hugged posted:

"I'll get you next time O'Brien!" he says as he's transported onto a Klingon cattle freighter that is on a 6 month long haul trip.

it turns out every time o'brien had a bad day, that guy was secretly puppet mastering from the shadows. like the g-man from half-life

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i thought "the quickening" was generally pretty well-received (imo as it should be). what are people's complaints about it?

i guess i could see people disliking it if they don't like dax or bashir as characters but that's hardly a reason to dislike the story. it even takes bashir down a few pegs

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oh hey, it looks like at least some of the movies are back on paramount+. i had TWOK and TMP on my list and they're back

beyond that, no idea which ones specifically are up though, because the loving search doesn't work at all lol

e: scrolling through the main "home" screen, it looks like it's probably all of them. saw III-X also

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BioEnchanted posted:

I like when it implies that Weyoun has hobbies outside the dominion, like at the end of the baseball card episode where he adopts the mad scientist and starts helping him with his dumb idea for "Keeping the cells entertained".

in a different episode they had written weyoun as having a bizarre collection of trinkets from around the station and cut it

quote:

A scene in the script for "You Are Cordially Invited" that was ultimately cut involved the Starfleet crew clearing out their quarters, which had been occupied by various members of the Dominion. Doctor Bashir's quarters were occupied by Weyoun, who was apparently fond of collecting various items and studying them in his quarters. The items included shoes, coasters, bits of string, broken bottles, power cells, picture frames, and chair legs.

i really wish they had gone through with it though, that sounds hilarious. i could see him being a weird hoarder that's incredibly protective of his junk pile in an attempt to understand these alpha quadrant creatures

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Tighclops posted:

Lookit this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1WlpDqYwzw

this poo poo is loving tight

these are extremely well done

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sash! posted:

Plus he's probably high. He's like the third highest person in Star Trek history.

obviously gene is first, but who is second?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Brawnfire posted:

I think that ship hit a patch of phased space or other some such bullshit

lol it's not that it's really bad — it's certainly better than anything i could do by hand — but there's a bunch of bizarre errors that make it pretty funny

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FISHMANPET posted:

Screw the haters, I love The Storyteller.

ok. why

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Atlas Hugged posted:

I can't tell if "eat a pile of edibles before binging episodes" is working exactly perfectly or not, but holy gently caress "If Wishes were Horses" was another out there episode. I kind of figured it was a first contact scenario, and then the conference between the imagined creatures confirmed it for me before the reveal at the end. This is another episode with a really unique premise but come the gently caress on with this Rumpelstiltskin poo poo.

would the white rabbit from alice in wonderland be more plausible? that one shows up in two episodes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved the gag where Quark quotes Picard's "THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE!" line in frustration.

i wish he had said "this bar, no farther"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Atlas Hugged posted:

With Odo, it's a fine line between wanting to embrace uncanny valley because he's only imitating what he thinks a human is supposed to look like, and he only does so imperfectly after having spent years practicing, and also just looking like a guy in makeup. The makeup works best when he's only in a scene briefly and the camera doesn't linger on him too much, but the more time he's on screen, the more obvious it is that he's not a Changling struggling to appear humanoid, but a dude in makeup.

For the second, it's very much "The Truman Show" where you have the same people walking the same loops in the background. You don't notice it because it's not a detail you're supposed to focus on, but when you start counting the faces and looking to see if anyone repeats, it becomes more obvious that there are only 20 people on this station, not the hundreds that the show wants you to believe. I figure they use Morn because the makeup is pretty intense and they want to get as much use out of him as they can, but watching him walk the same direction more than once in a scene is funny when you start looking for it.

I'd like to stress that these are not major criticisms of the show. They're artifacts of being 90s television. They stand out to me now in the context of 2023 and HD televisions, but they're not deal breakers and are in fact kind of quaint.

they do change odo's makeup at some point, although i don't remember when exactly. you get used to it, and the later iterations look better

also, you don't learn this in season 1, but morn is supposed to be in quark's bar all the time. that's basically his entire characterization: he's quark's best customer. in a much later episode quark even dedicates a seat to him because everyone thinks he's dead. it's a running gag and very much intentional

e: extremely minor spoiler i guess

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 7, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
perhaps today is a good day to dine

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the honor is to serve... appetizers

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Arivia posted:

Having watched it this last month, you’re supposed to dislike Paris in the first five minutes is the thing. Like he’s got the literal central character arc Caretaker is built around, culminating in him actually showing some well, care, by going back for Chakotay in the staircase out.

e: and Janeway also comes off a bit weird until you get that scene where she promises Tuvok she WILL get him home.

If I watched the first five minutes of TNG I’d be pretty put off by some of the characterization too.

the first 5 minutes of TNG is basically picard talking about what an incredible machine this new enterprise is

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nine-gear crow posted:

It was so weird going back and seeing him without the bleach blond hair after like a decade of him playing Damien Dahrk in the Arrowverse.

First Contact is so good at weaving Hawk into the story in minor ways that you think he's going to become a new mainstay on the Enterprise-E because he's young, good looking, and competent. And then he just gets owned halfway through the movie and its hilarious.

i always figured it was a garrovick kind of situation where the story semi-intensely focuses on one character we never see again just for narrative convenience. i guess that ended up being true but for a different reason

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Zaroff posted:

I thought Sisko’s problem was that Vic’s holodeck program wasn’t racist enough - it didn’t have anything to do with the staff getting overinvested in Vic Fontaine DLC.

i think it was both, he said that black folks like him and kasidy weren't welcome in 1962 las vegas unless they were entertainers or service workers, but beyond that he also didn't understand why they were so emotionally invested in saving a holographic bar

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

disaster pastor posted:

And the episode strongly implies that Sisko wouldn't have been such a grumpy dad about their emotional investment at the start if he didn't already have that underlying offense about the whitewashing implicit in Vic's program.

it does, but they'd also shown sisko as not being completely accepting of the crew's hijinks anyway. like when o'brien has yoshi in ops, or when bashir tells off dukat while sisko is talking to him on the viewscreen

it makes sense to an extent. yes, this is their home, and they deserve to have some recreational time, but it's also their workplace and they're supposed to be professional military officers during an extremely deadly war

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
they didn't come up with the founders = changelings thing until season 3. it makes the final episode of season 2 a bit anachronistic but still very enjoyable

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Atlas Hugged posted:

I heard it described to me by a friend when I first commented on how good the dynamic between Quark and Odo was that this basically encapsulates the major different between B5 and DS9. DS9 benefited from being made after TNG and so they did manage to avoid a lot of the blunders that early TNG made (with a few exceptions) and started strong with the character interactions and relationships, but they unfortunately don't develop too much over the show.

I'm guessing where Odo and Quark end up isn't all that different to where they started, as opposed to say Londo and G'Kar's intertwined fate over the seasons.

it does evolve, i'm not really sure what you're expecting but quark and odo eventually respect each other. it turns into sort of a version of the bones/spock relationship dynamic

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Khanstant posted:

You can still have that if SNW continues on and eventually their Kirk takes over. Assuming we like him enough anyway.

i really wouldn't mind if they did a couple of episodes where we follow a different crew on a different ship. it doesn't even need to be kirk on the farragut

not that i don't like the SNW cast or anything, but it'd be an interesting idea. disco kinda did that with introducing pike anyway and the results were good enough

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

bennyfactor posted:

He was also the response for the Final Jeopardy clue tonight, and nobody got it.

couldn't believe this honestly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i never really watched boston legal when it was on the air, were those jump cuts and weird pans in the original? good lord that's distracting

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Powered Descent posted:

Hill Street Blues?

lol maybe it was remington steele

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BioEnchanted posted:

I think something that hit me in DS9 was that it's episode with Q really shows his true colours - in other series he's more of a nuisance, a goofy imp who just shows up to do shenanigans and then go away once bored, but the episode with his Ex Vash shows him in a new, much crueler light that also shows how powerful he really is - when he reveals that after leaving the continuum, the only reason Vash survived her trip around the galaxy was that he'd been protecting her from countless diseases that she didn't even know existed. Then to make a point, he shows her what would have happened to her without his help, and suddenly most of her hair has fallen out, she's barely able to stand under her own power, and her skin has been badly ravaged by countless sores and buboes. It's a really effective scene to show how little empathy he has, that he would do that to someone just to make a stupid point.

i get what you mean, but since Q was just trying to prove that he was useful to her (and then "cured" her again, instantly), it kinda makes the opposite point: he's not completely without compassion and did care about her