Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Kris xK posted:

You're not helping.

well

It's been a long road, getting from there to here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I remember not trusting eddington right from the start, and gently caress the original starfleet security guy who was up himself too, luckily he seemed to disappear like a tng first season chief of engineering

always figured replicated food was okay just a bit different and not in a great way- like it was reheated in the microwave

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

shattered mirror did feel like a bit of a missed opportunity with some weak acting/writing/direction but the combat scenes were good pew-pew

seconding the quickening being drat good- I was initially a little pissed off with it till I realised they were building something up in order to tear it apart- finishing up season 4 now and the build up of the storyline feels immense

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

yeah the jake and bashir stuck in the hospital under siege was really good and a relatively rare jake is written well episode- bashir actually treated like medical staff rather than an awkward prodigy too

just watched "for the uniform" and sisko just war crimed a whole planet but it's cool cause eddington did it first and he was being a smarmy little poo poo (he acts a smarmy little poo poo well)

In purgatorys shadow/by infernos light up next, oh gently caress yeah trek party tonight

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

rolling into season 6 of ds9 and easily by this point ds9 has had 3x as much combat as all previous trek combined

"in the cards" which is late season 5 is pretty drat good for filler/feel good/relief- especially for a jake/nog centric episode

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Nessus posted:

My posting will never improve. I promise

shitposters blood oath

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

yeah I also got up to far beyond the stars this morning and then after that I stopped and went and sat in the garden awhile and cried a bit more

goddamn this goddamn show sometimes

also the one where quark has to assemble a crack squad of ferengis to rescue his mum from the dominion is the best ferengi nonsense episode yet, and that's a fairly high bar to pass at this point

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Eimi posted:

In the Pale Moonlight is great, but I always saw is a Sisko being the villain there. Like his speech is incredible, but to me it always was meant to be a dark moment in his life. Its shot triumphantly, but if he really could live with it, he'd have turned himself in. Certainly Admiral Leyton would be proud of what Sisko had done there.

starfleet had a good idea of most of it, or at least that was my reading of it this morning- sisko mentions having to clear the plan with headquarters to garak and bashir gets pissed off about the bio gel transfer and makes a deliberate paperwork trail to cover himself

for me it's probably one of, if not the best episode of trek but I wouldn't recommend it for someone new to the series because it relies so much on the previous 6 seasons worth of character development- this is behaviour sisko detests but has been manipulated by foul circumstance into accepting, and it only really hits hard with that previous character development

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

goddamn most of keikos bad writing seems to crop up in "time's orphan" which is probably the weakest episode of the season

other than the bits with worf and kirayoshi, gung gung gung indeed

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

i deliberately took it slow with the last season of ds9 because voyager is next and I wanted to savour things

definite difference in the middle few episodes- not even that they weren't any good, just a bit out of pace (hey there's a massive existential threat of a war going on but we can all take a few days to help vic do a heist to fight hologangsters, right?) and would have been suited to previous seasons better- but at the same time I can see how having all plot all the time wouldn't be helpful

all action from here on out to the finish though- really love how damar advances as a character in the final arc- will be finishing up the final 3 tonight, then it's voyager while finishing up the tng films and seeing if nemesis is as bad as folks say

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

the end to ds9 could have been better paced and slightly less maudlin but grand otherwise

starting voyager now, opening episode does a pretty good job of setting things up, feels like a tng episode with a different cast

**Edit

ah gently caress slightly rescinded, we didn't even get through the first episode without the jamake highwater bullshit appearing

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 13, 2023

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

yeah I don't see much point in getting excited about tos continuity when tos is inconsistent by nature as it set things up- from memory in the first season starfleet/the federation get one or two mentions as a whole, and I seem to recall different names for them that never reappeared (maybe it wa just on the cage I can't remember)

on some reflection the opening to voyager is a bit weird- they sacrifice their chances of going home in order to save the ocampan folks, and then after this heroic undertaking they... leave them trapped underground with 5 years of energy left before apocalypse and then gtfo out of there without so much as a word?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

okay I take back a couple of the bad things I said about voyager after watching season one critically but not all of them and some of them are worse now

there's some pretty well put together episodes, normally associated with a good acting performance or two- "faces" and "jetrel" in particular, and others like "learning curve"/"heroes and demons"/"state of flux" wouldn't be out of place as enjoyable mid-tier tng episodes

the bad is still pretty loving bad though, some really bad pacing issues, failure to engage the actors/bad writing, insanity strength technobabble, jamake highwater bullshit and sometimes just straight up boring- watched "cathexis" twice and drifted off both times

finding season 2 a similar mix at the moment, though right now paris and neelix are quarreling (pasta fight!) over the romantic affections of a two year old girl a few episodes after one where she was going to get pregnant by one of them and it feels more than a little creepy tbh

Arivia posted:

prime directive bitch

like basically janeway's whole thing is that she can't make things any worse, so she destroys the array so the kazon don't get it. means she can't do any more to help the ocampans, but like she says to the caretaker, they've got to grow up sometime.

voyager probably ended up making things better for them in the end by leaving the kazon a splat on the shields as they zoom away at top speed, anyway.

I guess I would have just hoped for some kind of closure on it, like they warn the ocampans to get their poo poo together in the time they have left- I'm guessing we never find out what happened there

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

holy gently caress tattoo is bad

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Arivia posted:

Told you. Next episode is much better though, and provides a possible answer to your question about the Ocampa.

next episode was alright but all it really answered was "if they found another ocampan would they be a manipulative pompous dick" and the answer is yes

maybe that's why no-one suggested saving the stranded ocampans to the caretaker worshippers, in case they develop powers and turn all lovely also

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

BioEnchanted posted:

Or you could be a counsellor. Kess and Troi prove all you need to qualify is basic empathy and common sense. I do like the worldbuilding moments though, like there are about 118 elements IRL but by the time of Voyager they've discovered 256 of the fuckers.

I want to study the bridge consoles a bunch

maybe work on figuring out why they explode/throw out rock concert sparks/emit flames all the time in combat, make starfleet about ten times more combat capable

Did "resistance" earlier and thought it's probably janeway's best yet, once again feels like a middling to good tng episode but that's okay with me

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

finished up with season 2 of voyager on the marathon run, "tattoo" remains worst ep, second half of the season apart from "threshold" was consistently alright to good, "deadlock" was my fav, "meld" and "resistance" also scored well

I leave you with four words, I'm glad tuvix dead

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

finished up with S3 of voyager- has a few good episodes in "real life"/"the chute"/"basics pt2"/"worst case scenario" but particularly "remember"- that one felt dark enough to have been a ds9 script

as for the rest I thought there was a notable decline- it felt pretty cheap at some points too, can't remember specific episodes but they were just kinda narrating the majority of the ship combat rather than show it more than once- and there were some really quite dull episodes like the time travel two parter, "before and after" and the q episode- nothing really offensively bad, just... dull, directionless tng rejects or rewrites

they also seemed to change kes into a proto seven of nine about halfway through the season, total outfit/hair change and apparently somewhere she dumps neelix but it gets like half a sentence of attention, unless I dozed off during an episode happened at least twice

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

not even half way into season 4 of voyager but this is a good step up in pace and quality from season 3 so far, really enjoyed year of hell this morning

disaster pastor posted:

The actual breakup happens while in "Warlord," i.e. the one where Kes is possessed, which makes it tricky to realize that, yes, it's real. IIRC, there was only going to be a scene in the Neelix terrorist episode where they discuss having broken up, and even that didn't make it as far as being filmed; the producers just didn't care.

and he just rolls on as normal after she goes all anime character because continuity doesn't really exist unless you are paris and torres

MrMojok posted:

Just watched Relics

It is a total LOL that at the end they give Scotty a shuttle and just let him gently caress off in this tiny craft to go… somewhere.

What a sad-rear end episode.

pretty much the worst of the shoehorned fan service appearances imo, something voyager actually did okay on with sulu

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

MrMojok posted:

Why no Kirk episode, in any of these shows? Is it because Shatner is just a total dick?

I’m not trolling, I am legitimately wondering

Other than

Powered Descent posted:

The Kirk episode was called "Star Trek Generations".

and the explainer he's a pain to work with/schedule, ds9 had Kirk they just used classic TOS Kirk which was the best way to go with it imo

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

mllaneza posted:

That's Voyager's biggest sin. It wasn't bad, it was boring.

If it had all been boring that might have worked a bit better- because when it does work, it works well, and that makes the boring parts even worse

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

feedmyleg posted:

Is there a good Voyager "essential" viewer's guide? Might try it with my partner after we finish DS9.

If you just want the stuff that's dealing with the overall plot then it's probably gonna be about 10 episodes long and you will miss some good stuff-

I initially did it a few years back by contrasting a few episode guides that often disagreed on stuff and I feel I missed out on some good stuff on coming back and watching them all because voyager ain't really about the story line

drawing from my ever growing excel spreadsheet and combining the ones I gave better scores with those few that are flagged for continuity-

s1

Caretaker, state of flux, heroes and demons, faces, learning curve

s2

Projections, cold fire, maneuvers, resistance, meld, dreadnought, deadlock, basics

s3

The chute, remember, real life, worst case scenario, scorpion

s4 (only up to ep9)

The gift, day of honour, nemesis, year of hell

you need more after that then ask because by then I will probably be slogging through enterprise and ready to claw my own eyes out

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 2, 2023

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

MrMojok posted:

This is most disturbing.

About five hours ago, I was watching Paramount+ using the Amazon app on my blu-ray player. And had been doing so for several days.

I went to sleep for a while and now I’ve come back to watch more DS9, and suddenly it says “This device doesn’t support a subscription to Paramount+. Subscribers can still watch this title by using another device.”

The Amazon app on my phone will still play it, as well my desktop computer, but the player won’t.

What in the gently caress

e: God drat it, I tried the other blu-ray player and it says the same thing

you should have known this was coming

insert two slips of gold pressed latinum into the slot on the side of your device to continue

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

unrequited bromance

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

through s4 of voyager and most of the way through 5 now and it's been fairly consistently watchable- some dull episodes but nothing too grating, a marked improvement on 3 and better than 1+2

there's a major decrease in the amount of technobabble being thrown about both as conversation filler and as solve the shite plot from whatever hole they wrote themselves into which has been nice, and the plots just seem a bit tighter/more thoughtful and more relevant to "we are traveling to go home" rather than "how can we make this tng reject script fit"- seems to coincide with nick sagan showing a bunch on the writing credits but that might just be me

No Dignity posted:

Please, continue with the updates.

Also, the only way you're going to see all the ferengi content? A complete watch through

seconding both, I would be posting more if there was much to remark on other than "the best seasons of voyager don't make me want to poke my eyes out"

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

so with 11:59 someone mixed up one of those hallmark xmas films with the actual script, right?

the gently caress did I just watch

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

finished s5 of voyager and there wasn't anything really standout, "gravity"/"bliss"/"dark frontier" were alright

"Survival instinct" from the start of s6 was pretty good but then was followed a few episodes later with paris really wants to gently caress a spaceship in "alice" and before that they kinda whiffed what could have been a good klingon episode in "barge of the dead"

Arivia posted:

a Very Good Episode.

It wasn't the worst by far (damning with faint praise) I was just a bit taken aback by how little you would need to cut to turn it into a generic seasonal xmas romance

zoux posted:

WOMEN.....BE SHOPPING

need retail therapy after being punched during pregnancy by bones

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

first voyager stereotypical irish holodeck program episode was very bad

second one is even worse so far to the point I miss Beverley's Scottish sex ghost

there's gonna be a third, ain't there?

gently caress

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

troi gets a couple of alright episodes later in the series

but the early ones eeeesh

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

So season 6 of voyager was a bit of a trip really

a large chunk of it was the standard dull, but some was really quite poo poo, like the "irish" holodeck stuff, paris wants to gently caress a shuttle, kes comes back and somehow her acting got much worse, doc wants to go off and become a singer also I'm saying the irish holodeck bullshit twice cause I had to watch it twice

the borg get changed over in tone from hivemind to whatever is going on with the queen and it just kinda kills the concept of the borg and makes them much like any other antagonist

they get a regular communication method with earth and it gets... pretty much zero attention

the better episodes were "survival instinct" as a good borg ep, "tsunkatse" for combs and hertzler turning up and chewing the drat scenery to shreds and "blink of an eye" for a good, engaging sci-fi plot that wasn't marred by technobabble

honourable mention to "muse" too for a fresh feeling plot and "riddles" as a tuvok/neelix piece I wasn't expecting to enjoy but did

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

ds9 theme is long enough to go take a piss or grab a snack it can stay on sometimes imo

voyager for least worst intro though

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

season 7 of voyager- marked improvement over 6 generally but it was spread out so most of the episodes are... unremarkable to okay. No really special standout episodes but the better of the season was- "body and soul" with the doc/7 body exchange, "Repentance" had good performances and "author, author" for a return to examining sentience/rights- maybe "critical care" for another good doc performance

I enjoyed the ending a bit more the second time around, but it still seemed abrupt at the end- they return home after a phenomenal travail and janeway is all '"well uhh it will be in my report" to the welcoming committee, cut scene to 3 seconds worth of CGI showing voyager returning to earth, roll credits, done

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I was gonna try and do all the tng films before commenting on them as a whole but I just paused nemesis sixteen minutes in to say holy gently caress this is bad

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Railing Kill posted:

Good news: it's better than you have heard.

Bad news: you have to listen to the theme song before every single episode because of Space LawTM

I gotta start this through next and I'm doing the theme once at the beginning and once for the mirror ep and if the space police want to put me in a starfleet penal colony on new zealand that's probably fine with me it looked pretty tight tbh

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Oh yeah and tng films

well none of them were great, generations was a mediocre tng two parter on twenty times the normal budget and they got progressively worse from there for the next two then nemesis went off the fuckin' cliff goddamn

but that poster who said the intro scene up to the title was fine was right

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

None of the TNG movies reached the highs of the best TOS movies, but yes, First Contact is the best of the lot.

I wanted to like it more I mean it's even got picard machine gunning down some borg but it just doesn't feel quite right& the plot never really felt like it came together, and bits like picard smashing the glass and yelling that felt cheesy rather than dramatic

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

CPColin posted:

By Apgar's wave generator…(sighs)…what an episode.

it gets copied pretty much wholesale for a voyager episode too

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

feedmyleg posted:

I hadn't watched Voyager since syndication, and the first thing that struck me is just how utterly lifeless the production design was.

For about 90-95%+ of the show this and the rest of the post is accurate but there are a handful of good episodes

try "blink of an eye" from season 6 maybe, standalone sci-fi episode that's low on the technobabble

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

finally made myself start enterprise for the watch through and that's probably the worst opener to a trek series yet, I already don't give a gently caress

poo poo writing poo poo plot let's send captain mc threatens a diplomat off into a tense diplomatic engagement to stick it to the vulcans and let's be sure to mention emotions about twenty times so people get the point

not to mention someone slipping erotic fanfic into the script for that fuckin' sleazy shower/quarantine/rub space goop on each other scene (good job the spores won't go anywhere non pg-13, eh)

loving poo poo and yet tomorrow I will watch more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

FISHMANPET posted:

Is, uh, "The Empath" any good? Do I get anything out of watching it that I don't get from reading the plot summary on Wikipedia? I keep bouncing off it trying to watch it and I don't know if it's one of those garbage episodes that sucks or one that's really good/really important to the cannon and I should soldier through it.

my notes say cheesy plot but some good crew interactions later

you could probably skip it fine