Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm watching Deep Space 9 for the first time. Seems like good timing with a new thread.

I just finished the Tosk episode. This is a pretty strong first season so far.

Man I'm jealous you get to see it all for the first time. It only gets better. DS9's first season is good for Trek first seasons but it's also still the worst season of DS9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The problem with Keiko is the writers want to have stories where there's conflict in O'Brien's life, which is fine, but family conflict inherently means pitting Miles and Keiko against each other and since Miles is our dude, main cast, every episode, who the audience is always with, that ends up placing Keiko in an antagonistic role. So it ends up being unfortunate for her character, even though it's not like she's a bad person or anything. We get fewer opportunities to be on Keiko's side, like the school episode where she's up against Vedek Winn.

And there are the lovely misogynists but that's another thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My favorite part of Move Along Home is the freaking out about oh god our heroes are dead and the game guy is just it's lol nobody died, it's a game, are you loving stupid?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They saw a star and someone started muttering "no ring" over and over.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

And they were already planning Voyager at that point. I don't think it's ever stated that Chakotay's from that planet, but there was a consistent theme of Maquis=American Indian.

I am sure I've read they intended Chakotay to be from that planet but it just never made it explicitly into the show. They did mention he was from a colony near the Cardassian border.

"The producers of Star Trek: Voyager originally intended Dorvan V to be Chakotay's homeworld. (Star Trek Monthly issue 4, p. 55) Although this idea was not established during Voyager's run, the Voyager relaunch novels state that Chakotay and his family were native to Dorvan V. However, "Tattoo" established Chakotay's colony to have been established centuries ago, which does not appear to be consistent with "Journey's End", which stated that the settlers had been on Dorvan for about twenty years. Even though Picard's statement "Dorvan Five? Isn't that where the group of North American Indians settled?" to some degree implies that Dorvan is unique, Chakotay would seem to originate from a second planet of American Indians in the DMZ."

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 1, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bong is the appropriate headspace for Move Along Home.

I also don't think it's a good episode, but it is the type of bad episode I prefer, where at least they're trying something even if I don't think it worked. The episodes that are both bad and lazy are the ones I really hate. Insert Voyager joke here.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm watching the Storyteller. Did they have two half finished scripts and rather than developing them they just stapled them together?

Mind you, I don't really hate either plot, they're just both thin and don't feel connected in the slightest.

Old Man Yells at Cloud: The Episode might be the most complete zero of a show DS9 ever made.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Lots of Combs in DS9? I do recall hearing that he had several Trek appearances but I don't remember the details.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's not perfect, but my complaints are basically quibbles. Like if you put Li Nalas next to Vedek Bareil in casual clothes, I don't think I could tell them apart. They are the two most dour men I have ever seen in a TV show. You get the impression that neither really wants to be there, and I don't really mean the characters, but the actors on set. I assume this has something to do with the direction they want to take Bajoran men and their characterization. Jaro also has a certain dourness to him, but he feels far more distinct than Bareil and Nalas do, like the actor has a clearer idea of what the purpose of his characterization is.

The thread title was once "He puts the beige in Bajor" in reference to Bareil.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My mom used to watch Boston Legal and Shatner was delightful in what I saw of it. Also seemed like half the cast was from Trek.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Neat, but a bit disappointing they're sticking with just four main factions. I know in the real world there's only so many prominent alien groups, but Trek in the show always liked to imply that there was a lot more complexity in international galactic politics even if it didn't spend that much time detailing it, so that they could feel the freedom to slide in new big alien nations whenever they wanted.

I'm hoping it suggests they're going for more of a Birth of the Federation 2 thing than a straight Stellaris mod. That game had these four plus the Ferengi as playable factions.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

IIRC they were thinking about using those guys as recurring antagonists but, it's Voyager.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

zoux posted:

Are the whales the biggest thing ever transported

No, that would be your mom.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

https://intl.startrek.com/news/star-trek-deep-space-nine-a-stitch-in-time-audiobook-announced

It's finally happening.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like Bashir overall but he has some pretty wild swings in medical ethics that don't ever feel justified to me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

He died of radiation poisoning and was replaced by himself but from several hours in the future.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Lower Decks is actually in the mirror universe.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mayweather should've been the most vital guy on the ship, their guide to space. Especially early on when they don't trust T'Pol so aren't going to listen to her.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Bashir was not the greatest doctor.

He's usually good and then like every season and a half the writer's room go hey what if Bashir was Dr Mengele for a minute?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MrMojok posted:

Ferengi DS9 stuff is IMO the worst of all Trek.

I’m sure that is an unpopular view, but there it is.

The Soulless Minions of Orthodoxy exist even within the thread.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MrMojok posted:

Well I did just rewatch In the Pale Moonlight (ye gods, what a fantastic episode) and it’s got me wanting to attempt an entire DS9 watchthrough.

A monumental task, but I may just try.

Watch it all man. It's a great show.

I like all the Ferengi episodes except Profit and Lace. Watch the whole show but you could also just go watch Bar Association right now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

zoux posted:

Another thing I was interested in in watching TOS is that they don't even mention the Federation until Arena, before that the things they say about the political situation of the era conflict significantly. In fact the bad guys in the Corbomite Maneuver are called the Federation! You don't see other starfleet ships until Court Martial, space feels so empty and remote, I understand why it was pitched as Wagon Train to the stars, it really is like they are on the frontier.

It's kind of interesting how trekkies are arguably the most continuity obsessed fandom while the original series just did not give a gently caress about world building.

This is why I don't give a poo poo about anything contradicting TOS. There was no attempt at a consistent canon until later so why bend yourself into knots trying to make TOS something it wasn't?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Quark trying to explain financial documents to the high council is one of my favorite scenes ever.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MrMojok posted:

I think now my Ferengi-hatred came from the TNG episodes, where I do not think they were portrayed in quite the same way.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Eimi posted:

The basic idea of the Ferengi as villains isn't even bad it's just all the details Gene wanted that made them complete jokes.

Yeah the idea of them as villains makes total sense. Who better to be the Federation's enemies than 1980s Wall Street aliens? But the execution, uh.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

disaster pastor posted:

We love Colm and Colm always justifies our love.

He's great in every way.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Chain of command and rank are different concepts, which like most military things Trek tends to be fuzzy about. Medical people would be staff officers who are not in the main command structure but instead have their own within their field.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Genuinely one of the worst episodes of Trek.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah the Memory Alpha article says her problem is being delusional and believing everyone is obsessed with her, not just being horny. The actress mentions trying to play her with a bit of a Hannibal Lector vibe.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's especially funny having Chakotay say that line since I think he personally blew up more shuttles than any other crew member.

E: Lol apparently the technical guide for the writing staff says Voyager has two shuttles. They lose ten for sure during the show and seven more that are most likely lost.

Imagine how they could've turned limited shuttles into story hooks. Situations where they lose a shuttle and it's a blow to the ship. There's one shuttle left and they have to risk it for something, making it tense. Building the Delta Flyer could've been a huge deal, a multi-episode project after losing their last shuttle and then losing crew members because they didn't have a shuttle anymore and god drat it, they're never going to let that happen again.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 1, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

What the gently caress is up with all of these Vic Fontaine episodes?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I liked that the solution in Arsenal of Freedom was just to tell the sales computer yeah we'll buy your loving robots. Much better than having to outsmart it or something.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Discovery pulled a few amazingly audacious ones. There's one where they call a staff meeting in the other room while the ship is five minutes away from being consumed, and I think at one point they reverse engineer the time suit in like a half an hour?

Disco does it all the time. The ship is going to blow up in 30 seconds! Two minutes of deeply emotional conversation time!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Still think a good show premise would be a mission to one of the satellite galaxies like the Magellanic Cloud.

(People sometimes suggest Andromeda but you'd need to invoke a wormhole or some bullshit for that, it's so drat far. You could get to one of the satellites with a year or two cruising in the void at high warp and I could see starfleet setting up a mission of volunteers willing to go that far beyond in the name of exploration) (Or you could just say they have drives that can zip over to Andromeda but honestly that feels like it would shrink the setting too much)

Good news, Picard already beefed this idea.

"From 2301 to 2305, the Leondegrance was commanded by Captain Nyota Uhura on an exploratory five-year mission to the Lesser Magellanic Cloud, during which the ship participated in over one hundred first contact missions. (PIC: "The Star Gazer" commemorative placard)"

Somehow they traveled 200,000 light years, explored it thoroughly, and returned. Fuckin Voyager taking seven years to do 70,000 light years, losers.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I dunno who first made the "he puts the beige in Bajor" joke about Bareil but I'll never forget it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's not that odd IMO. The Cardassians have only been gone for a few months when DS9 starts. The provisional government is new, some level of civil war often follows a revolution or decolonization. Really it's Trek utopian for Bajor to have as little strife as it does.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

I finished both parts of Scorpion last night, do I'm officially in Voyager's fourth season. 7 has only just barely been introduced, so let's see what chemistry she brings to the cast.

Congratulations, you're now in the high point of Voyager. Season 4 and 5 are overall pretty good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I still liked his cameo as the captain of the ship the enterprise kept crashing into in that time loop episode

Oh yeah, that was him and his ship wasn't it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Turning off life support I've always taken to mean 'turn off oxygen generation/heat' so it's not like instant death you're gonna be fine for an hour or two before you have a problem

The size of Starfleet ships you'd have days at least. Possibly weeks.

What would actually kill you is the ship getting too hot, assuming the cooling systems are life support. Space is a giant thermos.

Next thing would be CO2 buildup. You'd never survive long enough to run down the oxygen in a Galaxy class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Everything on the ship being powered by plasma siphoned directly out of the warp core is one of those loving crazy things I never think about. Is the plasma going through the electronics themselves? Like is there plasma running through the light bulb next to my bed? What psychopath came up with this? Is it the same guy filling the ship with rocks?