Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Doesn’t Beverly make Captain and have her own medical ship in All Good Things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Klingons are a bunch of rowdy frat boys, they’ve spent some time in the gym and have lots of drunk-fueled enthusiasm and pain tolerance but are plenty capable of getting their poo poo rocked by anyone who knows what they’re doing. Starfleet are all clean-living yogalates moms, surprisingly good flexibility and core stability, and get them riled up plus a glass of wine and they’ll throw down dirtier than a back alley bar brawl

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

thotsky posted:

He feels like a misstep because his existence implies that a lot of Starfleet ships have civilians voluntarily assigned to them. That makes no sense due to their missions being crazy dangerous and it kind of conflicts with the episodes with the Bolian barber, who is explicitly Starfleet.

A plausible explanation is that he's the not quite adult son of some officer on board or a stray like Mirasta (the warp scientist from First Contact) that they've picked up along the way.

One could assume he's someone who wanted to join Starfleet but didn't make the cut and this is the only way for him to still have a taste of the life, but why wouldn't they just give his spot to someone who did make it into the academy?

I like this idea, he’s Wesley but without being a warp genius or whatever his credentials were, just some rando older teen stuck going along with their parent’s traveling job, who lacks the independent living skills or family to stay off the ship and isn’t smart or driven or interested in being officially Starfleet.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
And actually that last part about kidding his friends how seriously they take things kind of hits, there’s a part of me that’d have a blast going with my Navy buddies on a tour and rubbing in their faces the whole time I don’t have to follow all the annoying rules or wear their silly outfits. Even more so given the Enterprise is a hell of a lot more plush living experience than anything the Navy has to offer

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess also the idea of godlike ascended beings out there also was part of the idea of maybe as part of the infinite opportunity of the sci-fi future, humanity too could somehow ascend to a higher form of existence, which it was never really clear as to what that meant, but it has mostly been left behind, either from the lack of optimism in newer sci-fi, or from the lack of influence from weird drugged-out new agey people.

For the most part sure, but I do kind of like the implication on Lower Decks that it’s just become another thing people can do so long as they’ve got the willpower and commitment, but not a lot of folks do because it’s an annoyingly hard and abstract process and may require a near death experience as well as being excruciatingly awful?.

https://youtu.be/MPGxboWWKDg?si=AUVlSlzLC4yjIEbE

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

thotsky posted:

There seems to be a pretty clear corralation between academics/intellectuals/nerds and freaky sex stuff. Vulcan have hella libido, they just really like edging and have settled on 7 years as the optimal amount for Vulcan physiology.

Come to think of it, I’d be down seeing Sting portray a Vulcan on SNW or wherever

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Atlas Hugged posted:

You could never quite tell if Trip was trying to repair the engine or have sex with it.

Who said anything about “or”?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

zoux posted:

He's a messy bitch that loves drama

Honestly more Trek series need this archetype. I’ll bet Anson Mount could bring a lot of that energy to Pike if the writing was right!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I just want another show where the crew randomly stumbles across some omnipotent reality-bending being, talk the being down from their latest moral crisis with clever tricks or kind empathy or whatever, say “huh that was weird” and move on with their lives without ever acknowledging they basically just met god, then do the same thing again next week, is that too much to ask?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What would acknowledging “basically just met god” look like in the context of having done so multiple times in the show, and specifically how would you want it to inform future such episodes?

I wasn’t being ironic at all, I’ve admittedly not watched the last few seasons of Discovery but I don’t see us getting a Trelane or Kevin Uxbridge from the general tone or tenor of what I did see, which is one of the reasons I’m less a fan of that series. I want more inexplicably weird allegorical stories in my Star Trek!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Romulan society is post scarcity, but they still keep the Remans enslaved, not because they need to, just because they’re dicks

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Soul Dentist posted:

I'd like to see the opposite where an Age of Sail culture is Uplifted to warp capability and maintains every aspect of naval tradition, including rigging, hardtack, cannonade broadsides and rum/lash motivation

And the buggering. So, so much buggering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Angry Salami posted:

I like the episode where some alien planet has a fertility crisis so they kidnap, like, a dozen kids from the Enterprise and figure that's enough to keep them going for another generation.

Look, it’s a really small planet