Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Summer Games Done Quick 2023 is over! A big thank you to everyone who participated in raising over 2.2 million dollars for Doctors Without Borders!

It is indeed time for Summer Games Done Quick 2023! And this one's in person again, after AGDQ earlier this year moved back online for reasons. It happens from May 28th to June 4th, and as is tradition, it is benefiting Doctors Without Borders.

And while there's not really been a shortage of it in prior GDQ threads this one will be made by me copy-pasting a lot because I ran out of time because I've been playing Tears of the Kingdom. Also there's really only so many ways you can write the same information twice a year.

====================

Watching a marathon always begins with reading the schedule. It will adjust to your time zone. Due to setup and stuff, expect minor variances, so make sure to be on time.

The places to watch are the GDQ website, and the GDQ Twitch page. When you watch through a browser, the website is generally recommended.

But instead of using a browser, you can use your media player of choice, by running Streamlink and Streamlink Twitch GUI. They're quite easy to get running. Just make sure you're using the latest version of both since Twitch loves changing things to make them not work smoothly.

2023-06-01 addendum: So Twitch introduced an integrity check thing that broke third-party stuff, including Streamlink. But there is a (for now, at least) working workaround for making it work again. In Streamlink Twitch GUI, you first go to Settings, Main, and check "Enable advanced settings and features". Then you go to Streaming, and put:
code:
--twitch-api-header Client-ID=ue6666qo983tsx6so1t0vnawi233wa
in the "Custom parameters" box. It is not the "Custom parameters" box in the Player tab in settings.

And if you're doing commandline, you can obviously just add the thing when you run it.

You're still going to miss stuff, but that can be remedied as all the runs will be posted to the GDQ Youtube channel so you can watch them at your leisure. After the marathon, a good place to find them is GDQ VODs, a very nice website run by fellow goon Steve Holt!.

And you will of course also want to talk to people about the runs you're watching, so here's some places for you to do so:

GDQ IRC: #sdamarathon at irc.quakenet.org (not GDQ official anymore, has been taken over by myself and anton and is now the Speedrunning marathon channel on Quakenet.)
Direct link | Quakenet Webchat
GDQ Discord

====================

This history section is definitely a copy-paste job.

Games Done Quick started in 2010 with the first marathon, Classic Games Done Quick, hosted from GDQ founder Mike Uyama's mother's basement. Since then, it has grown immensely and hosts not only two big Games Done Quick marathons annually, but also other shorter marathons like Frame Fatales, one-offs like a Corona Relief Done Quick back in April 2020, and lots of other speedrunning content happening every week on their Twitch channel.

The two main GDQ events are currently the largest global fundraising events for the charities they benefit. AGDQ 2014 was the first time any GDQ event broke one million dollars in donations for a single event, and SGDQ 2019 was the first to break three million. The current lifetime total of donations to GDQ events is just shy of forty-four million dollars.

All of the money raised during Summer Games Done Quick goes directly to Doctors Without Borders. No cut is taken by any of the staff or participants, all attendees pay for their own travel and living expenses. It is true that some organizers get paid for it, but not through any cut of the donations—the truth is simply that putting on GDQ is more of less a full-time job for many of the core staff, so some of them are employed by the charity to make sure the marathon can even happen.

The staff always tries their hardest to make sure that the quality of the stream is as good as it can be. Mistakes can always happen with all the tech involved, especially for an online marathon. Delays and unforeseen problem are not unlikely to occur. Please be patient when this happens, it's definitely even more frustrating for the runners and staff than it is for you as a viewer!

====================

A guide of how to donate will now follow.

Step 1: Go to the donation page on the GDQ tracker.
Step 2: Enter how much money you want to donate.
Step 3: Write a donation comment.
Step 4: Choose what incentives your donation should go towards.
Step 5: Dream of the prizes that donation can win.
Step 6: Click the button to donate.

Easy enough, eh?

So, the two specific things to talk about here are incentives and prizes. Incentives are things you can bid on to change various things about some runs, like naming a character or playing some extra level or in some cases adding extra games to the schedule. The list of all of these incentives can be found in the bid index.

Prizes are, well, prizes. Things you can win if you donate at least a certain amount. There'll be a raffle, and if you're lucky, you win! The buy-in for most of the prizes is in the $5-$25 range, with a few higher ones. There are also three grand prizes which have a buy-in of $250 cumulative, so you'll get entered in the drawing for all three of them if you donate at least $250 across the entire event. All the prizes can be found in the prize index. And among the stuff you can win are:

An apple.

A meme.

An equipment.

A directions.

A friend.

A birb.

A ball.

A Yobby.

A cryptid.

A game.

If you want to make sure you get some cool SGDQ stuff then you can head over to The Yetee or Fangamer for some shirts and other stuff you can buy, with a portion of the sale for each item on either store going directly to Doctors Without Borders.

====================

As always, a FAQ:

Q: What runs should I watch?
A: This question has no answer. Read the schedule. Find games that you're interested in, or that you think will be interesting. Thread should hopefully have some recommendations over the course of the marathon. Silly Games block is normally great though.

Q: Will ____ be featured?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner or commentator, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. There's been some, let's say, controversial runners/commentators in the past—it's for the best if we don't bring that up.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Because there's simply not enough room for it. GDQ has grown so much that it's not even remotely possible to let everyone who wants to attend have a game on the schedule anymore. There's going to be hundreds of people there, and while not all of them are runners, many games and people have had to be cut from the schedule to fit it into a weeklong marathon.

Q: What's this about GDQ banning fun?
A: Just a silly misconception. There's no fun police, and certainly no rules in place that state everything has to be super serious and clinical. A rule that is in place is that people on camera who aren't the runner shouldn't be taking focus or attention away from the run or the runner(s). When you're an event the size of GDQ, allowing people to do whatever they want on camera just isn't possible... not that that applies as much to the online marathons.

Q: Where is this happening?
A: Minneapolis, Minnesota.

====================

And that's about it. Now just remember why we're all here. We want to watch cool speedruns and talk about them, all for a good cause. So please, please, don't use this thread to bring up GDQ-related drama, be it about marathons in general or specific runners. Above everything, please be respectful towards everybody working hard to make this event happen in the first place. The organizers, the runners, the commentators, the announcers, even the watchers. We want to have a fun time.

Should you have any further questions about GDQ or speedrunning, just go ahead and ask. There's a number of goons involved with GDQ, and even more involved with speedrunning in general, so the knowledge is not far off. But if it's about non-marathon related matters, you might want to swing over and inquire in the main speedrunning thread, where we're always happy to help.

So let's enjoy another marathon together!

====================

Past marathon threads
AGDQ 2012 | AGDQ 2013 | SGDQ 2013 | AGDQ 2014 | SGDQ 2014 | ESA 2014 | AGDQ 2015 | ESA 2015 | SGDQ 2015 | AGDQ 2016 | SGDQ 2016 | ESA 2016 | AGDQ 2017 (Chat) | SGDQ 2017 (Chat) | ESA 2017 | HRDQ | AGDQ 2018 (Chat) | SGDQ 2018 (Chat) | ESA 2018 (Chat) | GDQx 2018 (Chat) | AGDQ 2019 (Chat) | ESAW 2019 | SGDQ 2019 | ESA 2019 | GDQx 2019 | AGDQ 2020 | ESAW 2020 & FF 2020 | CRDQ | SGDQ 2020 | AGDQ 2021 | SGDQ 2021 | AGDQ 2022 | SGDQ 2022 | ]AGDQ 2023

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Recommendations from various people (might get sorted out more elegantly eventually):

Mierenneuker posted:

The credits are still rolling right now, but I'm already typing up some personal recommendations for SGDQ2023:

PHOGS! (remote): An indie game about a two-headed dog in stretchy adventures. Physics are not so much a science but a suggestion in this game, with the dog(s?) spinning, rotating and launching itself everywhere. I can still imagine playing this on co-op with someone because clearly that experience will be nothing like the craziness of this run.

Peggle Deluxe: Is an hour of Peggle really fun to watch? Well, that's up to you. But although the game is just very repetitive the couch does a great job talking about all the tactics, strategies and tricks that go into speedrunning this game. It's more than just shoot at a peg and await the result.

Overcooked! 2: The "YES CHEF" meme got really run into the ground in no time, but I still got to respect the introduction to this run and the teamwork displayed throughout it.

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 1 & Curse of the Moon 2: I love Castlevania, but I've seen Symphony of the Night and the first game played in several forms so many times. So I appreciated this continuation/loveletter to the series and love that it has plenty of tricks and strategies to make it more exciting. Also, the second game has a dog... piloting a mech? Amazing! Shout-out to The Blacktastic who ran the first game and was an excellent couch on the second one.

The Elder Scrolls anthology: Two hours, six games (one was an incentive). I like how each title in the series offered something different. Arena is very repetitive, but that's because they broke it that way. Daggerfall feels like such an ambitious title for that era, no wonder it has the reputation that it all feels like it is held together by duct tape (this run included). Morrowind is a blink and you'll miss it run. Oblivion just skips so much. I can't say much about Skyrim, because I was preparing food at that point. Incentive game Redguard is such wonderful late nineties jank.

True Crime: New York City: Speaking of jank, have some more, take your fill! This GTA clone from 2005 has enough of it. A pleasure to watch it being broken apart.

And the rest of my suggestions haven't been uploaded to YouTube yet but they include games like Titanfall 2 and Star Wars: Dark Forces. I'll also still need to watch Alpha Prime but based on the game choice, the runner and the couch I think it'll be amusing to watch.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

PHOGS was a very mood game of weird hot dog creature flopping around to get eaten and then regurgitated.

Peggle had lots of pegging and it was great.

Is that beans? Yes chef, yes it is.

i don't remember why i liked Gauntlet, but i did. maybe for watching someone beat such a quarter eater into submission

Golf It! because the commentary was adorable, and balls were matched.

Give Me Toilet Paper! is a lovely bizarre japanese indie game featuring, well, toilet paper, and someone that needs it.

The Cat in the Hat for primo old licensed game jank.

The Incredible Hulk's runner was great at appreciating Hulk rear end.

i swear this isn't just a listing of Silly Block. i also liked the Pokemon runs! though probably less as something i would recommend for vods than their being good live chill runs

the couple running The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords had a great dynamic; im sad it looks like they maybe don't stream that often, but definitely my one "im subscribing to this channel because i would legit watch these people outside GDQ" even though i don't normally watch much speedrunning outside the events

the SMM relay, however, is definitely VOD-worthy if you somehow missed it. did i quite understand what was going on? no. sort of! i have no idea how the runners do that. primo sports to convince your polycule to watch.

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Banjo-Kazooie: long run, but worth it for the nostalgia alone, and some great showing off of tricks, most of which work (and the ones that didn't were very entertaining).

Loom: Ask me about LOOM! (It was good.)

Peggle Deluxe: I never thought Peggle could be this exciting.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night Randomizer: I loved Dr4gonBlitz' run at AGDQ earlier this year and this was more of the same but very, very broken. As ever his patter is great and is good at explaining the game.

Overcooked 2: The origin of YES, CHEF. Also, see the film The Menu.

Alpha Prime: Danejerus is back after his Fashion Police Squad run and this is a doozy. Broken levels and a good amount of jank. Chair, please!

Ratatouille: Where YES, CHEF reached meme status.

The Elder Scrolls Anthology: Watch broken games get ever more broken.

N++: I completely forgot about this game and I used to play it a lot. Great to see someone run it who knows what they're doing.

Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask Randomizer: Highly entertaining randomized run by Spikevegeta. Excellent couch and the display showing all the items yet to get was very helpful.

Paper Mario: Also for the nostalgia, but apparently the Paper Mario speedrunning community is absolutely insane with injokes and memes and that made the donations very entertaining, especially because the host was Danejerus.

True Crime New York City: The true start of Silly Block, and Danejerus continues to read out funny donations while the runner plays through a broken yet entertaining GTA clone.

Golf It!: The energy between the two runners was hypnotic. The whole thing is definitely worth a watch for the vibes alone.

Give Me Toilet Paper!: Self-explanatory.

VVVVVV: Excellent game run excellently, and an excuse to listen to that banging soundtrack again.

Wild Guns: YEEEEEHHHHAAWWWWWW! Seriously, watch it, it's only 20 minutes and it's a hell of a ride.

Princey posted:

Kaizo Monkey Ball - Monkey Ball is always hype, now imagine the kinds of stuff a bunch of dedicated fans would put together. Very fun watch.

Clone Hero - What if Guitar Hero, but too much? Truly insane run that starts out looking like hail Mary button mashing, but the longer it goes the more it dawns on you the precision and talent on display. Ends with a sick sing-along, too!

Sure Shot - Mario romhack run by Shoujo. Great goofy energy between the runner and the couch.

Ravus posted:

Overcooked 2 (All-timer)
FF4 (If you are an RPG-run enjoyer like myself this is top-tier)
Loom (point-and-click shenanigans)
Monkey Island (more point-and-click shenanigans)
SMM2 Relay (Best Mario maker race yet, and that is very high praise)
PHOGS! (Weird-rear end indie game, very compelling)
GTA: SA (kz_frew on couch, broken AF game, very un-marathon safe)
Darkest Dungeon (Bit short, but as someone who sucks at DD this was super cathartic)

Vermain posted:

ratatouille - extremely loving funny adef run that deployed the chef meme even better than overcooked thanks to the excellent comedic timing on display
bioshock 2 - probably a classic for most people by this point, but still an excellent run and deeply amusing if you've never seen it before
exodus from the earth - a forgotten classic (?) run by the always excellent catalystz
sonic adventure DX - great game, great couch, great energy, big the cat
titanfall 2 - mindblowingly exquisite run with a lot of insane tricks being pulled off effortlessly
wild guns - lmao
breath of the wild - hard to top blindfolded runs and bubzia absolutely delivered

Kestral posted:

I can't believe I'm posting this, but I'll add Neopets: The Darkest Faerie to the recommended runs list. Wasn't able to catch this live so I've just seen the VOD, and man, this is classic early 3D speedrunning. It's a nice mix of busting the game wide open with ledge-flying and out-of-bounds madness and money-duping, with plain ol' Just Playing It Really Fast with legit movement tech. The runner does an excellent job of explaining what's going on and manages to pass the commentary around to his couch with the kind of practiced ease that should be the benchmark for every marathon run. He's also been playing the game since he was literally seven years old and has a genuine love for it and appreciation for how well put-together it is despite being a licensed Neopets game of all things.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 17, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Wow! Very Cool! I will watch it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
GDQ is better than Xmas, because we get it twice a year.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
The Yetee swag slaps this year. Definitely grabbing the water bottle and pennant as per tradition.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Holy poo poo that Goose Window Sticker :stare:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Don't mind me, just bookmarking thread.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

This is my first year attending the whole thing! Already met cool people! Can you tell I’m excited!?

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
https://twitter.com/RoxTV_/status/1662683926500974592

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

OneMoreTime posted:

This is my first year attending the whole thing! Already met cool people! Can you tell I’m excited!?

Be sure to find the Pringles shrine and familiarize yourself with the hottest practice room speedgame

If only there was some way they could have known this fact about *checks notes* Roxy's Cabaret.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 28, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

one of the many dangers of missing the cycle and losing time

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:comfyoot:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I am ready.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

good work OP, but I feel the need to point out that this is in fact a pepper!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
well i'm glad streamlink exists because twitch looks like this on my firefox for some reason, even after allowing it through ublock and noscript

anyways :toot: let's go sgdq!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Speedunning the marathon by holding it a couple months earlier than usual, I respect it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's going to make the wait for AGDQ feel much longer than usual tho.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

site posted:

well i'm glad streamlink exists because twitch looks like this on my firefox for some reason, even after allowing it through ublock and noscript

anyways :toot: let's go sgdq!

I've been using this for years for twitch in firefox and it works great, highly recommend it

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Ground floor!

Some great shirts on the yetee. I think I'm at least getting the samus and celeste ones

Hope I can stay awake for silly block.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Greetings from the interview area once again! I spent all day yesterday preparing the pre-show with the reat of the team. Hope y'all like it.

I'm also hosting Monkey Island, San Andreas, Neopets, THUG, Spelunky, and Ori later this week.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Anfauglir posted:

I've been using this for years for twitch in firefox and it works great, highly recommend it

nice, that worked. thanks

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

SeXReX posted:

Be sure to find the Pringles shrine and familiarize yourself with the hottest practice room speedgame

I have seen the glory of Pringles but I was to busy losing a Mega Man 4 race, I willchange this

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Musical_Daredevil posted:

I'm also hosting Monkey Island, San Andreas, Neopets, THUG, Spelunky, and Ori later this week.

I'll be watching most of those. What should goons say in their donations during your slot?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Greetings from the interview area once again! I spent all day yesterday preparing the pre-show with the reat of the team. Hope y'all like it.

Thanks for all the work you and the rest of the staff put in to make cool charity things happen! :hellyeah:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I'll be watching most of those. What should goons say in their donations during your slot?

Less than three

e; wait no that's Cartridge Blower's thing

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Hungry Squirrel posted:

The goal is to find the cringiest possible thing you can get them to read out on stream

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSLlZh9yelk

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

not a fan of whatever this gimmick is tbh

batman forever is good tho

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I learned that it started today like ten minutes ago lol. Very early this year, but I'm ready

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I don't get why they don't bring some extra studio lights with them. The whole thing looks like it's being shot at candle light. Same problem every year.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That was a decent Bentley "that's impossible"

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Lookin' good, Mike!

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

BoldFace posted:

I don't get why they don't bring some extra studio lights with them. The whole thing looks like it's being shot at candle light. Same problem every year.

This is bothering me way more than it should. And the giant wrinkled table cloths. Went and bought a Spoony Bard shirt. Hope they use my money to rent an Arri kit or something.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Just found out that it's early this year! Any specific reason it's like a month early, or just generalized logistical issues that made it move up?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Looking like it's going to be till some time tomorrow morning to find a block of runs I'm particularly interested in seeing, but great to see GDQ back in a venue and hopefully permanently after Covid and Florida's shittiness making it difficult for the past several years. :unsmith:

e: Well actually curious to see what Megaman Maker is like, but in another hour I'm gonna be visiting family so I'll be checking out the archived video on that front, but other than that not super invested in what's up for day 1. Seen/played DMC4, Luigi's Mansion and Minish Cap already many times and not super into sports/racing games so yeah.....

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 28, 2023

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Love how broken Sonic games seem to get.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'll give sonic frontiers this: for all i made fun of their absurdly jank-looking prerelease footage, the final game looks, if not incredible, at least modestly fun if you're a sonic fan

it's never not going to be funny seeing cartoon man super sonic fighting these weird evangelion-rear end robuts though

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
So the map completion never goes up, I assume because they skipped the tutorial? Does that make this a 0% run?

edit: apparently not.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 28, 2023

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

what the hell is this sonic evangelion game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
sonic frontiers pwns