Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

ZiegeDame posted:

I really hope they don't beef the very first bonus game. I've got a date I scheduled around the start time for Ring Fit (already a risky proposition, I know, trying to schedule for GDQ runs) and it would be a real bummer if my date's first exposure to GDQ was an incentive not being met.

"Babe wanna come over to my place to gdq and chill?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Studio posted:

"Babe wanna come over to my place to gdq and chill?"

“No, you always speed run the chill part.”

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

BoldFace posted:

I don't get why they don't bring some extra studio lights with them. The whole thing looks like it's being shot at candle light. Same problem every year.

The stage lights have literally given me headaches bad enough to leave the stream room. They exist. I'm going back down with sunglasses in a bit.

I am also light sensitive nowadays so take that with a mine of salt.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Played so much mega man you became Dr Light sensitive 😔

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I was so into F-Zero X, a big reason i got the 64DD in like ‘06 was for the expansion kit

I still have it, too

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

I was so into F-Zero X, a big reason i got the 64DD in like ‘06 was for the expansion kit

I still have it, too

This owns.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Oh also their opening games are a lot weaker this time around. Agdq had BotW, Splatoon 3 and Crash by this point in the marathon. Perfect storm for a weak opening, but gdq isn't really an Opening kind of event

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Studio posted:

Oh also their opening games are a lot weaker this time around. Agdq had BotW, Splatoon 3 and Crash by this point in the marathon. Perfect storm for a weak opening, but gdq isn't really an Opening kind of event

I'm fine this is, stream is muted while I watch the end of ComboBreaker. This F-Zero X run is really cool though, always loved this game.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ravus posted:

I'm fine this is, stream is muted while I watch the end of ComboBreaker. This F-Zero X run is really cool though, always loved this game.

Muting the F-Zero soundtrack is a crime.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kestral posted:

Agreed on both counts, and man, Ring Fit is a bit of a stretch too at $45k. Fingers crossed, I really want to see that one.

i've said it before but they really need to tie bonus games and incentives to total donations raised rather than specific things to donate towards. i can't imagine how much of a bummer it is to practice for an incentive only for it not to be met because either your game is too niche or they amount was just too high, and a non-trivial amount of donations go through without being put towards anything.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
I used to think this game looked awful and charmless when it first came out, but I don't think I've ever seen all these later courses until now. The 60 fps is great and some of these later tracks, like those with pipes and a lot of verticality, are pretty cool. Glad I stuck around for this one.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Studio posted:

imo the overall lineup is a lot weaker, but that's fine cuz my tastes aren't everyone's and it also makes it way easier to watch the runs i actually wanna watch. i'm kinda zoned out till minish cap and the next thing i care about after that is...link between worlds, i guess.

wednesday is the first day full of bangers, i am stoked for everything from trine through true crime. give me toilet paper is also prolly a real fun run but it's at a total garbage time slot so welp.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

JammyB posted:

I used to think this game looked awful and charmless when it first came out, but I don't think I've ever seen all these later courses until now. The 60 fps is great and some of these later tracks, like those with pipes and a lot of verticality, are pretty cool. Glad I stuck around for this one.

When you're not in time trial it keeps that framerate up with a shitload of other cars on the course.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Cernunnos posted:

Less than three

e; wait no that's Cartridge Blower's thing

I'm not hosting this event so they can borrow it for a minute. But I'll want my correct pronunciation back!

I am at the event though! Just doing some donations, a panel, and having fun times with friends. Really enjoying the vibe of the event this time.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

Muting the F-Zero soundtrack is a crime.

Not the first. I unmuted for sent and there was no sound, was real confused.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The way they have the lighting is so weird. The runner looks like they're going to break out sweating under the stage lights and the audience/couch are invisible.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Somehow I thought a Skating speedrun would be more interesting.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i only want a skating speedrun where it's like, tony hawk pro skater 2 and merging your body with the wall somehow counts as an olley

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i've said it before but they really need to tie bonus games and incentives to total donations raised rather than specific things to donate towards. i can't imagine how much of a bummer it is to practice for an incentive only for it not to be met because either your game is too niche or they amount was just too high, and a non-trivial amount of donations go through without being put towards anything.
To be fair, for quite a few years, nearly every incentive was met - some very narrowly or with a lot of time spent pushing donations (also a problem), but it'd still usually happen. It's only in the past couple GDQs that missed incentives have started becoming common. Presumably it's just simple misjudgments of how much people would be affected by rampant inflation (last SGDQ) or the holiday weekend (today's missed incentives), though I guess you could make the philosophical argument of "if you're meeting every goal, you probably aren't setting challenging enough goals".

Hopefully Ring Fit gets met though, because I like those sorts of runs. I don't think they've done any massive Yetee/Fangamer drops yet and I assume a lot of people buy their shirts pretty early in the marathon, so presumably that's a bail-out for the incentive if needed.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

twitch chat tried to do a $5 hype train at 15:55 and 10 minutes later they tried another because they'd only added 1% to the ring fit goal :sigh:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

there thankfully wasn't the big bank kablooie i was expecting a couple months back, but i imagine everyone's still keeping their hands on their wallets for the most part. CAD still having a poo poo conversion rate ain't helping me, at any rate

not gonna worry too much about incentives since i'm sure they'll be proactive and start scaling them back if the trendline isn't fitting well after the first day or so

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
SGDQ 2023 thread has set a new WR in the "They're not gonna meet the incentive..." discussion speedrun

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I'm stoked for Hitman Freelancer

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Vermain posted:

i only want a skating speedrun where it's like, tony hawk pro skater 2 and merging your body with the wall somehow counts as an olley

Yeah I wanted to see crazy ragdolls, clipping through walls, and your skater is Shrek.

This does seem to be a solid speedrun and the runner is fine, but "I'm going to abuse check points to finish challenges in the simplest way possible" just isn't all that exciting to me as someone who doesn't know the series.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I'd have donated by now but I lost my job just before agdq and I'm still unemployed :(

Pretty hyped for minish cap, always thought that was underrated and I can imagine there's some fun tricks.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

JethroMcB posted:

SGDQ 2023 thread has set a new WR in the "They're not gonna meet the incentive..." discussion speedrun

i am usually the first to point out that bigger incentives usually get met last-minute, but agdq had at least one entire run get missed that only eventually happened because they had a re-do for donations and ring fit is looking like they will have to either do the same sort of shenanigans or have a yetee airdrop save it

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Next couple runs should be cool. I like zelda runs and luigi's mansion is fun too.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

El Jeffe posted:

I'm stoked for Hitman Freelancer

the rest of today and monday ain't really my thing, but tuesday has what should be some excellent runs between marathon infinity, hi-fi rush, returnal, and the bioshock 2 any% run

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
At least a Luigi's Mansion race should be pretty hype if the Yetee doesn't save the ring fit incentive.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i am usually the first to point out that bigger incentives usually get met last-minute, but agdq had at least one entire run get missed that only eventually happened because they had a re-do for donations and ring fit is looking like they will have to either do the same sort of shenanigans or have a yetee airdrop save it

It was this last agdq that had some rich person doing 5k a day on incentives too right

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

site posted:

It was this last agdq that had some rich person doing 5k a day on incentives too right

yeah some dude ended the event with some absolutely silly amount of total donations and a fair amount of stuff still got missed even with that

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
This dude looks exactly as ripped as I'd expect from someone who does Ringfit speedruns.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ZiegeDame posted:

This dude looks exactly as ripped as I'd expect from someone who does Ringfit speedruns.

this man could probably rip a controller in half, jesus

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Yeah, to be fair this one does seem to be going exceptionally poorly. Seems like starting the marathon Memorial Day weekend seems to be having a definite impact (and not the good kind, like you want.)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of casual GDQ fans who don't actively follow the speedrun scene wouldn't even know that the marathon had started. Probably expecting it to be a month or two later.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I can't believe I tuned in just in time to hear "Ring Fit Adventure is technically an isekai"

(I really need to start playing RFA again, I wonder if learning World 1 speedruns is a good idea)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

JethroMcB posted:

Yeah, to be fair this one does seem to be going exceptionally poorly. Seems like starting the marathon Memorial Day weekend seems to be having a definite impact (and not the good kind, like you want.)

i can't find stats for sgdq 2022, but for sgdq 2021 they were at roughly 20k more viewers than this the entire first day until like 1:30am eastern so yeah scheduling it for this weekend might've not been for the best

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
They have about an hour and twenty minutes to raise another $23k.

I have concerns.

Math Edit: that's about $290 per minute.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
people pay attention to the money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I'm paying attention to the Ring Fit incentive.