Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

HonorableTB posted:

The timing for this marathon was very weird. Silly Block was at an unwatchably late hour and the website for GDQ says its going through June 5 but I woke up this morning and the marathon's been over since 4AM for me, apparently. I wish they would be more considerate of west coast timing for the fun stuff :/

As I recall the silly block is always at an unwatchably late hour; I just think that's how they do it. The finale being at ridiculous AM seemed new, but I figured that might be to give other time zones a chance to watch it live.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

The timing for this marathon was very weird. Silly Block was at an unwatchably late hour and the website for GDQ says its going through June 5 but I woke up this morning and the marathon's been over since 4AM for me, apparently. I wish they would be more considerate of west coast timing for the fun stuff :/

silly block has pretty much always been at a weird AM hour, that's not new

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Research has shown that Australians are far sillier and yet more awful than American; thus these blocks are timed to accommodate.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If you start a speedrun in AUS and end it in the US do you get to subtract the 15 or so hours?

E: after joking that, I remembered that some runs use igt. I wonder if changing region might actually mess the clock for any of these?

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 4, 2023

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

If you start a speedrun in AUS and end it in the US do you get to subtract the 15 or so hours?

E: after joking that, I remembered that some runs use igt. I wonder if changing region might actually mess the clock for any of these?

Pretty sure most game mods would sigh and deny your run if you tried to pull "adjust the console clock" games for IGT. Also, probably not. There's likely a timer running, or if they are doing like, console clock calculations, it's probably off unix time

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Studio posted:

Pretty sure most game mods would sigh and deny your run if you tried to pull "adjust the console clock" games for IGT. Also, probably not. There's likely a timer running, or if they are doing like, console clock calculations, it's probably off unix time

I think for me, it would depend on if I had coffee yet that day.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Awful/Silly Block does always start super late local time, but this year even it drifted to starting around 4:30 AM Thursday rather than being the lead-out of Wednesday primetime. I was able to see like two hours of Silly Block runs Thursday morning, whereas usually I only catch part of the last run in the block - two if I'm lucky - as I'm getting ready for work.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Previous Awful and Silly blocks for me started around 10-11pm. This one was an aberration for starting so late for me in the same time zone. VODS mean I won't really miss anything but it was still kind of strange that Silly Block ended about 45 minutes before I got up to get ready for work, when previous years I've been able to see at least 70% of the block before passing out

Overall I think the marathon was good but it had unfortunate scheduling and tech issues that caused problems. It's to be expected I guess!

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 5, 2023

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Sonic Adventure 2!

... oh

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

personal recommendation list:

ratatouille - extremely loving funny adef run that deployed the chef meme even better than overcooked thanks to the excellent comedic timing on display
bioshock 2 - probably a classic for most people by this point, but still an excellent run and deeply amusing if you've never seen it before
exodus from the earth - a forgotten classic (?) run by the always excellent catalystz
sonic adventure DX - great game, great couch, great energy, big the cat
titanfall 2 - mindblowingly exquisite run with a lot of insane tricks being pulled off effortlessly
wild guns - lmao
breath of the wild - hard to top blindfolded runs and bubzia absolutely delivered

i'd say the run of the marathon was titanfall 2 for me; BotW was extremely impressive in terms of raw memorization, but titanfall 2 had an excellent pace and some truly bonkers movement tech that was handled with incredible grace and finesse

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Aw geeze, the GDQVods site doesn't have any entries for this event yet. I usually use that to catch up on the good runs I missed in order, so it keeps track for me. Am I just going to have to search the GDQ youtube channel like some kind of animal?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Here's the SGDQ 2023 YouTube playlist. They're all in order, but only up through the GTA San Andreas run right now though.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Just watched the Sure Shot run by Shoujo, which is a SMW kaizo with a Sonic gimmick.

Extremely hilarious and the couch/runner combo is great.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Ravus posted:

So glad I didn't stay up for the finale, I'd have been ruined for the whole week.

I didn't get to watch as much as I'd have liked to, but my top runs:

Overcooked 2 (All-timer)
FF4 (If you are an RPG-run enjoyer like myself this is top-tier)
Loom (point-and-click shenanigans)
Monkey Island (more point-and-click shenanigans)
SMM2 Relay (Best Mario maker race yet, and that is very high praise)
PHOGS! (Weird-rear end indie game, very compelling)
GTA: SA (kz_frew on couch, broken AF game, very un-marathon safe)
Darkest Dungeon (Bit short, but as someone who sucks at DD this was super cathartic)

Adding Sure Shot (Shoujo being godlike and the game being fun was given, the level of sass from the couch was a big bonus)
Golf It! (Funniest run of the event)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

This ring fit run is great. Speedrunning exercise with chair poses

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

JethroMcB posted:

Here's the SGDQ 2023 YouTube playlist. They're all in order, but only up through the GTA San Andreas run right now though.

Reddit has timestamped twitch links for everything not on youtube yet (or if you're interested in seeing chat go wild at the really cool bits): https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/13u4weq/sgdq_vod_thread_2023/

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I can't believe I'm posting this, but I'll add Neopets: The Darkest Faerie to the recommended runs list. Wasn't able to catch this live so I've just seen the VOD, and man, this is classic early 3D speedrunning. It's a nice mix of busting the game wide open with ledge-flying and out-of-bounds madness and money-duping, with plain ol' Just Playing It Really Fast with legit movement tech. The runner does an excellent job of explaining what's going on and manages to pass the commentary around to his couch with the kind of practiced ease that should be the benchmark for every marathon run. He's also been playing the game since he was literally seven years old and has a genuine love for it and appreciation for how well put-together it is despite being a licensed Neopets game of all things.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

They're doing SGDQ backup runs on Twitch rn?

Is this people who couldn't make it to SGDQ proper?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
lol. This Golf It! banter is loving top tier. Oh my god.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Jiro posted:

They're doing SGDQ backup runs on Twitch rn?

Is this people who couldn't make it to SGDQ proper?
Backup runs are used if someone with a run on the primary list drops out of the event, I think?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Incoherence posted:

Backup runs are used if someone with a run on the primary list drops out of the event, I think?

This and also if, by some speedrun miracle, they get ahead of schedule they can be plugged in.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Kestral posted:

I can't believe I'm posting this, but I'll add Neopets: The Darkest Faerie to the recommended runs list. Wasn't able to catch this live so I've just seen the VOD, and man, this is classic early 3D speedrunning. It's a nice mix of busting the game wide open with ledge-flying and out-of-bounds madness and money-duping, with plain ol' Just Playing It Really Fast with legit movement tech. The runner does an excellent job of explaining what's going on and manages to pass the commentary around to his couch with the kind of practiced ease that should be the benchmark for every marathon run. He's also been playing the game since he was literally seven years old and has a genuine love for it and appreciation for how well put-together it is despite being a licensed Neopets game of all things.

I loving love jaxler

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

AlternateNu posted:

lol. This Golf It! banter is loving top tier. Oh my god.

It's like the ultimate stream of consciousness commentary. The one guy on the couch occasionally trying to play it straight and explain a mechanic kept cracking me up

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ilmucche posted:

It's like the ultimate stream of consciousness commentary. The one guy on the couch occasionally trying to play it straight and explain a mechanic kept cracking me up

fondly remembering the rachet and clank run of ages past. may god bless and preserve bonesaw and his professional cosplaying ways

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I really liked the Sonic Adventure DX relay. Lots of great runners, good banter and a great team spirit all around.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Vermain posted:

fondly remembering the rachet and clank run of ages past. may god bless and preserve bonesaw and his professional cosplaying ways

Andy's Zelda crowd control run with a hostile couch a while back as well. We need more snarky couches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpjTxcFQXo0

Shoujo has her two runs up on her channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANJtVzVHvfY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzauiksx_PI

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Speaking of, any idea why the GDQ youtube stopped uploading VODs?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Think they're just tired. They had a long week that went even longer, with teardowns and flying home. Figure they need a break!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Tayter Swift posted:

Think they're just tired. They had a long week that went even longer, with teardowns and flying home. Figure they need a break!

Fair enough!

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Vermain posted:

Is this referring to the Jak and Daxter / Owen Wilson run is there another Bonesaw insanity run?

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

This Golf It! Run is amazing. It's like if the SNL NPR sketch did a golf speed run.

Long live Robert Frost.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Bremen posted:

I have a pretty good idea considering I unplugged the computer they were being uploaded from during tear-down.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SeXReX posted:

I have a pretty good idea considering I unplugged the computer they were being uploaded from during tear-down.

Rude!!!!!!

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Bremen posted:

Short answer: The person responsible for handling the final steps of our upload process was at the event and is currently very worn out.

While I do have a significant hand in the flow, it's been many years since I've been the one who actually cleans things up and publishes them.

Edit: Also we've changed how we handle the raw footage, which makes things both easier and harder, so it'll affect the upload cadence while we fiddle with things.

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 8, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I didn't mean to sound demanding or anything, I was just surprised they were getting uploaded at a rate of several a day and then stopped. In hindsight "the person uploading was at the event and had to stop when the event ended" is a very obvious answer that didn't occur to me.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Twitch vods work and there's a reddit thread somewhere that has timestamps for particular runs

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

A jargogle posted:

Twitch vods work and there's a reddit thread somewhere that has timestamps for particular runs

This thread has links to the timestamped Twitch VODs as well as the YouTube links for the runs that have been uploaded:

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/13u4weq/sgdq_vod_thread_2023/

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

A jargogle posted:

Twitch vods suck rear end to navigate if you want to skip forward or backward and sometimes I want to watch a 30 minute video as I go to sleep, not queue up a 14 hour vod. I'll just wait for the youtube clips to go up.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/GrandPOOBear/status/1666098027038380034

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I wish I could say that was surprising, but, well, called it earlier in the thread, and also:

The Mario crew poppping positive is hilariously predictable after one full team - wait, wasn't it GPB's team? - showed up to the relay with their masks in total disarray. Going to go out on a limb here and guess that a lot of the people who were masked up for their time on stream were chin-masking at best when the cameras weren't on them, if they wore them at all. It'll be interesting to see how this affects their performance going forward - I imagine it's difficult to kaizo when you have brain fog for months or years. The irony of a community event eroding its own community with debilities is potent.