Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Been thinking on this heavy...How do you stay productive to increase dopamine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Urophagia therapy

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i pray to god every day i never encounter these terms used sincerely in my professional life

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i pray to god every day i never encounter these terms used sincerely in my professional life

How do you keep productive with dopamine on fleek at your engineering job hot cocoa on the clout? What does your project manager use to keep you from straying from the path?

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
I had to take a project management class for my LIS degree, and I think we learned about agile and waterfall. I can't for the life of me remember anything about them, though. Sorry, OP.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
No we moved on to STRGTH and RCKFLL

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

MuadDib Atreides posted:

How do you keep productive with dopamine on fleek at your engineering job hot cocoa on the clout? What does your project manager use to keep you from straying from the path?

my previous project manager used gantt charts or some poo poo. then she asked me how much longer til design was done and i could procure every now and then. it was a small shop, about 35 people with 3 engineers.

my new job i'm the only engineer so i'll manage my own projects

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i've purposely stayed away from big design firms that have huge engineering depts with pms that freaking love poo poo like agile and six sigma or w/e the gently caress. seems liek cancer to me. anyone confirm?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

can't say I'm familiar with that. could we circle back on this later and strategize over a coffee?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

what kind of tasks are you looking to streamline with tehese productivity tools op?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

MuadDib Atreides posted:

i microdose

what do i microdose? anything. any compound, food, or drink...i microdose. tiny little amounts of anything i can get my hands on. the doctors call it pico pica and its killing me

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

they call it agile because you should run away if anyone talks to you about using it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I invented them

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Wtf is a scrum master

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Saalkin posted:

Wtf is a scrum master

been asking this question for seevral years....

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Come to think of it, I don't remember much from that project management class.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

scrumgeons and dragons

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
Without those tools how can you expect to deliver granular bandwidth or syndicate best-in-breed vortals, OP? THINK OF THE VORTALS.

(for all your bullshit terms needs: https://www.dack.com/web/bullshit.html)

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Tipping back and RTIC drink from the islands :fyadride:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i've purposely stayed away from big design firms that have huge engineering depts with pms that freaking love poo poo like agile and six sigma or w/e the gently caress. seems liek cancer to me. anyone confirm?

It's bad. We're doing it and the only outcome is fatigue for everyone with no real gain other than being able to tell that to the board of directors.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Saalkin posted:

Wtf is a scrum master

Last I checked my MegaCorp has a mix of 85 scrum masters & agile coaches. Far as I can tell they just meet with each other & management all day. Not too bad when I can avoid them, occasionally have to nod at manager saying we’re no longer Kanban, we’re Kanban lite as I continue doing my job exactly the same.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Last I checked my MegaCorp has a mix of 85 scrum masters & agile coaches. Far as I can tell they just meet with each other & management all day. Not too bad when I can avoid them, occasionally have to nod at manager saying we’re no longer Kanban, we’re Kanban lite as I continue doing my job exactly the same.

lol epic. wonder if maybe i'm in the wrong line of work and i should search for a scrum coach master job or w/e and jerk off all day instead of work

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Is this real? :psyduck:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

YeahTubaMike posted:

Is this real? :psyduck:
Yes its how Toyota Priuses are made.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Scrum masters make like 100k at my megacorp.

How do I get in on that?!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

unless you're the dorkiest of dorkass nerds people just load poo poo into a google sheet or shared drive .xlsx lol

every two weeks we have a meeting to go over the plan for the next two weeks. if it needs to be an ongoing thing then we just put it in jira and let the jira nerds figure it out. i don't work at a large company though (~2-300 people)

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

lol epic. wonder if maybe i'm in the wrong line of work and i should search for a scrum coach master job or w/e and jerk off all day instead of work

You should get certified in Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Smugworth posted:

:kstare:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I feel like literally everyone I am friends with knows about all this stuff

Well maybe not the guy with a pet care business. Though I bet agile and waterfall still come up a lot with cat care

I do at least know it has something to do with...group projects? K guys are we going to do Six Sigma for our presentation on the Soviet Union

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I went to Niagra Falls last week. It seemed fine so I think waterfalls are still I thing afaik?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Smugworth posted:

None of this is real

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Epic Owner

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

None of this is real

The actual principles behind the agile (iterative) development process are really simple and easy to understand.

The Agile Manifesto posted:

Principles behind the Agile Manifesto

We follow these principles:
Our highest priority is to satisfy the customer
through early and continuous delivery
of valuable software.

Welcome changing requirements, even late in
development. Agile processes harness change for
the customer's competitive advantage.

Deliver working software frequently, from a
couple of weeks to a couple of months, with a
preference to the shorter timescale.

Business people and developers must work
together daily throughout the project.

Build projects around motivated individuals.
Give them the environment and support they need,
and trust them to get the job done.

The most efficient and effective method of
conveying information to and within a development
team is face-to-face conversation.

Working software is the primary measure of progress.

Agile processes promote sustainable development.
The sponsors, developers, and users should be able
to maintain a constant pace indefinitely.

Continuous attention to technical excellence
and good design enhances agility.

Simplicity--the art of maximizing the amount
of work not done--is essential.

The best architectures, requirements, and designs
emerge from self-organizing teams.

At regular intervals, the team reflects on how
to become more effective, then tunes and adjusts
its behavior accordingly.

It's the companies who come in and dice everything into incomprehensible garbage and meningless rituals and process so they can charge for certifying agile coaches that don't understand that all that process is bullshit anyway that end up loving it all up

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Smugworth posted:

Wow this looks like poo poo, anyone got an office job that's hiring?

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

what kind of tasks are you looking to streamline with tehese productivity tools op?

Respectfully I shan’t dox

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Smugworth posted:

The actual principles behind the agile (iterative) development process are really simple and easy to understand.

It's the companies who come in and dice everything into incomprehensible garbage and meningless rituals and process so they can charge for certifying agile coaches that don't understand that all that process is bullshit anyway that end up loving it all up

itt we discover smugworth is an agile scrum master

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Scrumworth

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Been thinking on this heavy...How do you stay productive to increase dopamine?

I stick with the legal speed and legal weed methodology. It’s the only one that works OP. Everything else is jerk-off fantasies for middle managers and other such parasites.

Whenever they try to institutionalize me I create a diversion by asking the smelliest engineers in the room if they prefer org-mode or taskpaper. Then I sneak out back and smoke more weed. I get a whole lot done this way and my reviews are always good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

yes and its really funny because nobody knows what they 'really' are so everyone just pretends to know and someone how through brutal bs it works out