Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
That Lydra (and the other one whose name I forget) show up at a decent rate and as your screenshot shows, the heaven aura sells for 21k spirit stones (the earth aura is less but still a good amount) so it's a nice source of quick money any time they show up. Or dump them on to the auction house if there's one coming up soon and you aren't in immediate need of cash since they should sell. Usually...

e: With the out of depth cultivator who hates you, you might be able to bribe them to get back in to their good graces since gifts seem to solve everything in that regard (unless this one's hard-coded to be hostile). Though if they're picky and don't just accept high value manuals you'll need a bunch of mood items of the type they like.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

The Lone Badger posted:

You can start on the skill wheel immediately on finding them. Bonding is only a requirement for about 10% of it.

Hmm, for some reason when I tried it I was locked out of putting points in. Not sure if it was a bug, only some of the characters are limited that way, or the system was just so poorly explained that I missed out on what I was supposed to be doing.

In any event, this is about the first time I faced a problem that I thought was sufficiently worth trying to investigate the system further. It still wasn't much help with the Imperial Sword being under level, but I was at least able to proc the charm ability once or twice for a short bit.

Evil Fluffy posted:

That Lydra (and the other one whose name I forget) show up at a decent rate and as your screenshot shows, the heaven aura sells for 21k spirit stones (the earth aura is less but still a good amount) so it's a nice source of quick money any time they show up. Or dump them on to the auction house if there's one coming up soon and you aren't in immediate need of cash since they should sell. Usually...

Alas, at this point in the game the Lydra was way too tough for me to be taking on regularly. And by the time I could farm them for something like that, spirit stones had stopped being a problem. At least on the scale of tens of thousands.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

19. Leads to True Nascence

Eventually, after some more treasure hunting, I was able to find a guardian that had a Star Pyrite for the upgrading of the Imperial Sword, along with some additional treasures of no mean status!

But there was only so far that I could improve the sword in this limited time frame, so further development would have to wait for a later date.

It remains a welcome improvement and a roomier locale, nonetheless.

(Well, for those of you who wanted to see the upgrade process, here it is. Still took way too long even to get the sword to Golden Core, let alone improving it beyond that to Origin Spirit. The ring is nice though, still better than most of the storage rings I could get at this level and also gives a slight bonus for Artifact usage.)

On my way out of the Fallen Valley, I encountered a merchant dressed as a ghost. He claimed that he had a large number of treasures for sale, but appeared surprised when I agreed to buy something from him. After rummaging around in his pack for a bit, the merchant sold me the lantern that he was carrying for 5000 Spirit Stones.

But unbeknownst to the both of us, that lamp turned out to be a rare find indeed, albeit one with a horrid backstory. The lamp contained the souls of an entire sect’s worth of swordswomen, who had been refined into a single Yin energy lampwick so that the forger could complete the lamp and exchange it for an artifact in a treasure cave. They begged me to get vengeance for them, and what could I do but agree?

The grave of the Demonic Elder turned out to be a trap, as bringing the Soul Lamp was enough to stir him back into coherence. He was waiting in stasis for someone to bring him the lamp so that he could stabilize his path and continue cultivating. Fortunately, he turned out to be exceptionally weak, such that even the toll of his mourning bell artifact was unable to slow down my blade from cutting through and dispersing the demonic cultivator.

Or perhaps his trap was simply meant for a desperate native of Hua Feng, and you were lucky not to encounter the Elder until this point.

In either event, he was defeated and had left behind a map for use with the lamp. I was curious to see if the old monster had missed something and there was anything in the cave that could be used even in the absence of the lamp, so off I went.

As it turned out there was indeed only an exchange for the lamp. Now, by defeating the Demonic Elder, the souls of the Azurite Sect had been freed to reenter the cycle of reincarnation, but it still seemed crude to benefit from the object that had been the focus of their suffering. So I smashed the lamp.

The grateful souls of the Azurite Sect all spoke out in unison to recite a single death… afterdeath poem, before vanishing for good. I left the treasure cave in a highly reflective and somber mood, but in this case I did not find it unwelcome.

(Choosing to not exchange the lamp gives you a reward of its own, of course, and a very powerful one at that: one free in-battle revive to full.)

With the poem in mind, I went off to the Hundred Thousand Hills to confront the Lord of all Mountain Specters – the Dreambreaker.

Were the beast not onerous enough on its own, it also brought an advanced Mushroom Man in to support its assault by pelting me and Mengyi with deadly fungus bombs. I focused the mushroom down to ensure that it could not interrupt the battle against Dreambreaker, but that gave the mountain specter plenty of opportunity to wear me down through an onslaught of multiple small tornadoes.

And eventually they proved to be too much, and my heart stopped…

At least before the mental clarity left behind by the poem expended itself to bring me back to life.

From that point on, I slowly wore down the beast. Dreambreaker realized this as well and tried to slay me once again with one final charge, but Mengyi was able to throw the beast off its course just enough that I was able to use its momentum against it. So the great lord of all mountain specters died, slicing its own head off.

You are welcome for the assistance.

(I have previously stated that I hate this boss so much, and that's doubly true for the World Boss version, which also comes with a surprisingly difficult random mini-boss that you have to deal with alongside the main Mountain Specter.)

With all the region’s Heaven and Earth Treasures in my possession, ascending to the Nascent Soul Realm was as easy as turning over one’s hand.

(

Rewrite Destiny time!

Training Partners: You’ll earn 30% more EXP after training together with others, and they’ll gift you an item.

What, EXP, not Knowledge? Worthless. Even then, this is till pretty mediocre unless you’re constantly getting artifacts or top tier pills from the gift or something.

Emperor’s Legacy: When you’re dying, you’ll transform into Flower Faerie x12. When the battle ends, as long as there’s at least one Flower Faerie alive, you’ll revive. Can be triggered once every 90 s.

Once again: Rewrite Destinies that require you to die are bad, because they don’t change the scenario that lead you to your death.

Vitality Seed I/II: Max Vitality +10%/20%

Duplicates, sure why not? The better of the two is worth taking if there’s no better options.

Energy Seed II: Max Energy +20%

I’m a big believer that Vitality is better than Energy because energy problems are either solved through some other means or that extra 20% isn’t going to save you in a big fight, whereas the 20% extra Vitality might save you from death by getting one-shot.

Shield Stance: After taking damage 50 times in a battle, your subsequent Ultimate Skill will generate a shield: damage taken -80% for 15 s. Cannot trigger more than once per battle, can be upgraded to True Shield Stance.

Hmm… see, the thing is I would usually say that this isn’t that great, but I am trying to go for a turtle-y Blade build, and insofar as emergency skills exist, this is probably as good as it gets under this specific set of circumstances.

Given that my other decent options are just generic bonuses, I’m going to take this. Worst case scenario if I don’t ever see True Shield Stance or it turns out to be awful, I’ll use a reroll that I know I’m going to get and just try to pick up some generic bonuses or improve some other multi-chain Rewrite Destiny that I otherwise couldn’t cap without the space.

Finally, I also take the opportunity to use several of the books dropped by Dreambreaker to improve most of my techniques to Nascent Soul level/purple rarity. So at least for the next realm I’m at roughly where I should be, though of course nowhere near breaking the power curve over my knee.)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 15, 2023

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Our destinies have been somewhat unimpressive. Free revive once per battle sounds waaaaaay the hell better than all of that.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Our destinies have been somewhat unimpressive. Free revive once per battle sounds waaaaaay the hell better than all of that.

It's not once per battle, it's once. Just once.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

20. Recalling the Past

We meet again, Stranger, I see that although the years between our chance encounters are getting longer, time remains as kind to you as ever. I even keep up hope that one day I might be able to ask about your story, though I suppose the telling of mine is thrilling enough to make for a whole night's entertainment!

Some time shortly after my ascent into the Nascent Soul realm, Xi... that is to say the granddaughter of that Old Man from Yukong Village back in Bai Yuan, found me again. She said that her heirloom, the iron ingot that had previously lead the two of us to the cave where Yu the Great spent most of his early life with the Jagu, was acting up again.

This time though, the ingot had a much more ominous destination - the mound near Duality Village where the Blood Cultivator that gave rise to a wandering Blood Lord that had plagued the village, was sealed.

As it turned out, although still trapped the Blood Cultivator had, in-fact, been awake this whole time! Not only that but he claimed to know me from a past life where we were friends and mortal enemies! But Sanguine Riverstar, as his name was, said that he was willing to put all that water under the bridge and even grant me a wish, as long as I freed him from his prison. Naturally, given what a terrible fiend I knew Riverstar to be from his reputation, I had no intention of doing so...

But the iron ingot had other plans, and unlocked the seal to free the Blood Cultivator from his prison. With the full scale of his mental abilities returning to him, Sanguine Riverstar immediately pieced together that I had been the one to destroy his Blood Lord, which even if it had ultimately not delayed his release, cost him a lot of his cultivation ability. This left him in a foul mood and so he tried to kill me.

In the end, the loss of the blood puppet also cost Sanguine Riverstar his life. Without it, he had been reduced to a weak Nascent Soul level, perhaps even Origin Spirit, and was no match for Mengyi and myself. His blood field techniques, although vexing in nature, just could not stand up to my blood-draining blade!

No, don't you worry: Mengyi was invaluable to my journey throughout the Nascent Soul realm, so much so that she's enjoying the opportunity to rest. Even with that being the case, I bet that she'll have something to say later once we start getting to the truly impressive battles.

There were two major consequences to the battle against Sanguine Riverstar. The first was discovering that apparently I am the reincarnation of Yu the Great? I suppose that's one way to explain why I keep having these flashbacks. In any event, defeating Sanguine Riverstar revealed that Yu had not relied entirely upon the Xirang to suppress the flood in Bai Yuan. Instead, he had freed the Blood Cultivator from his original prison under the Xirang in exchange for Sanguine Riverstar's help in suppressing the flood... though the vision cut out before revealing just how the event itself had occurred.

The second was that Xi had been present during the battle and exposure to the Blood Cultivator's abilities had left her in a state in-between life and death... similar to that of my master. Likewise, a Body Reconstruction Elixir would be necessary to revive her, though requiring nowhere near the same level of potency. Not only did I feel obliged to help the young girl recover, being responsible for what had happened to her and our connection in karma, but in doing so, I would truly start on the first step to becoming the sort of alchemist who could bring people back from the brink, no matter the circumstances. Unfortunately, the ingredients for even a minimum potency Body Reconstruction Elixir would have to be found in the Everfrost, so it was time to head back to Yun Mo, in preparation for confronting the snow-filled lands beyond.

It was just as well, for right after I teleported back to Yun Mo, I received a message from Feng Lixi saying that her father had wandered off into the Everfrost by himself in search of the Holy Flame, in the hopes of purifying the deathly Nether Air aura that was emanating out from the Nether Mountains into the Untamed camp in the southwest of the region.

After preparing my pack full of supplies, I made my first steps into the wilderness, and who should I find there but the itinerant vagabond Mystery Man Jo? I was especially surprised, as in my previous experiences Jo would appear right before my entry into a new region to try and sell me something related to its current specialty. But this time, he showed up to hand me something for free.

The manual that I received was strange. At first it seemed like it had nothing to do with my cultivation at all, but the more I trained, the more I felt like just taking the conventional path to higher realms would have been a mistake? After completing the technique, I ended up with a number of foreign ghostly receptacles hovering around my Nascent Soul. The experience left me feeling extremely... hungry? Empty? And I knew that I would not be able to reach Soul Formation without filling that void.

(Welcome to the mid-game, in which the final realm breakthrough starts changing up a bit. From this point on, you're now always doing something different to reach the next tier, although the overall process does have some familiar elements. The Nascent Soul to Soul Formation breakthrough is going to involve gathering the souls of five guardian beasts before completing a final challenge dungeon. I'll get into it more in an update or two.)

After defeating a number of fierce bandits and monsters living in the Everfrost, I was able to make my way to the tree where Feng Yunchuo believed the Holy Flame to be... but ah, that was a battle of such magnitude that I will need some help in jogging my memory in order to ensure that I am able to recount it all!

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 22, 2023

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You're a Nascent Soul cultivator and still being attacked by bandits? That's some Oblivion-tier scaling.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

To be fair, with what we just learned from being handed that manual by Jo, they could be all the Nascent Soul cultivators that lack the ability to make it through to Soul Formation and turned to preying on people wandering through the Everfrost instead.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The real leader of that gang is obviously the starving dog who did the minimum for his cultivation, but shows off every time he could.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

21. A Demon Without Equal

Well Stranger, when I ask for a drink you do always seem to deliver. So surely I will not hold back and tell you the story of my and Feng Yunchuo's battle against what might have as well have been a primordial titan of the Wood element.

Growing there right in the middle of the Everfrost, against all odds, was the most monstrous tree that there ever was. Not only in terms of size, for it was nearly as tall as a mountain, but in nature as well. The tree emitted a sickly, fetid aura that made my blood boil just by being in its mere presence. And yet there was a flock of birds that not only found a way to ignore this impure aura, but ate directly from the tree.

The birds had not noticed my approach, but this was primarily because they were instead all focused on Feng Yunchuo, who had arrived at the same time and was preparing to attack the tree directly in the hopes of finding the Holy Flame that had been nurturing this abominable foliage. The birds instinctively recognized the danger, and with shrill cries and blood-streaked eyes all immediately began to dive-bomb Feng Yunchuo in an attempt to stop his assault on the tree.

What could I do but help fend them off? Even as mighty as the demon cultivator was, he had been investing all of his energy in a singular strike and could not fend off an entire swarm of maddened Nascent Soul spirit beasts.

With an appreciative nod towards me, the leader of the Untamed then proceeded to jump straight towards the gnarled heart of the tree and deliver a flaming fist technique of unparalleled power. With a sickening crack and a terrific explosion, rivers of sap and splinters the size of buildings began to rain down from the sky. But this had only managed to injure the great monster of a tree, it was nowhere near ready to give up its life.

Low lying vines coiled up from the ground, shifting and morphing to become miniature versions of the tree. Their fruit and pestilent aura healed the birds, and now I found myself having to deprive the neverending flight of a strategic anchor before grounding them entirely. I might as well have been wielding an axe rather than a blade for all the woodcutting that I was doing! Meanwhile, Feng Yunchuo was preparing to line up another blow, one that would make his previous strike look like one from a mere squabble in the training hall.

The final blow struck the tree so hard that everything in the area besides its originator was hit with the force of a tornado. I was forced to grab onto one of the birds and hang onto its legs for dear life as it sought to fly out of the area of effect. The Blighted Tree, of course, was entirely pulverized. Unlike the last time, not even a bit of pulp or a single wood chip remained. Just a desolate, empty crater...

(The fight is pretty much as described, although the trees are there from the beginning and it's a bit more repetitive in practice. KO the trees to stop them from healing the birds, kill the birds, and Feng Yunchuo will punch the tree and knock off a section of its health. Repeat several times until victory is achieved.)

And, of course, the Holy Flame that had been the whole reason for this earth-shaking struggle in the first place. Freed of its confines, the gentle flame seemed a much less powerful source of heat, but if it had given rise to that monstrosity of a tree in the middle of the frozen depths of the Everfrost, then its' appearance was certainly deceiving.

After carefully picking the Holy Flame up and placing it into a special container that he had prepared, Feng Yunchuo thanked me for my assistance and said that he had something he wished to speak with me about, but that since the normal climate of the Everfrost was about to reassert itself, the two of us should head back to the Untamed camp first. This seemed more than fair, as I had no desire to become an icicle now that the frigid winds were picking back up.

When the two of us made it back to the camp, all of the Untamed were there waiting, eager to see what the results of our trip had been. One of Feng Yunchuo's direct subordinates even burst into tears, saying that she didn't know if their boss was going to make it, before being chided by her compatriot. He said that their leader had made it all the way to Tian Yun Mountain, so of course such a thing as this would be nothing to him. Lixi was, of course, her usual calm and collected self, although she did express her sincere gratitude that I had gone all the way to the Everfrost to help her father despite the potential risk. I told her that it was nothing, and that any true cultivator, unlike those so called "righteous" ones, would do the same.

...as I matter of fact, I too was quite surprised when I heard that Feng Yunchuo had been to Tian Yun Mountain! I was starting to think that it really was a myth or a fairy tale, but here was a living, breathing person who had seen it.

In fact, from this point forward it was supposed to be a relatively straightforward journey throughout the rest of the continent, at least until one got to Chi You, at which point you would have to ask for instructions from a local on how to reach the passageway to the central mountains. There would, of course, be perils and adventures along the way, not to mention the dangers of Tian Yun Mountain themselves, which gave even Feng Yunchuo pause. But when has that ever stopped this Peng Jun before?

What? Ah, of course, you're still speechless. I'll give you a minute to catch your breath.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 29, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
How many years into your journey are you now? I can't tell since it's always blurred out when there's a window open in game. Do you think you're still on pace to revive the transcendent cultivator before their time runs out?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Evil Fluffy posted:

How many years into your journey are you now? I can't tell since it's always blurred out when there's a window open in game. Do you think you're still on pace to revive the transcendent cultivator before their time runs out?

As of this point, it's been 19.5 years since Peng Jun started, subtract about 4-5 years or so for the initial build up time in getting to the Transcendent Cultivator event. I do get sidetracked for like a year or two later on, but we're still generally on track to save Ding Yuhua unless the final part of Nascent Soul and the next two breakthroughs take more than a decade each, which they shouldn't. I am assuming that I can get this done upon entering Rebirth though, if I have to go all the way to Transcendent to not die while gathering herbs for the pill, that might be cutting it a little close unless it turns out that I really can just blaze through the next few tiers.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That guy towers over you far more than the dialog box shows.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Scalding Coffee posted:

That guy towers over you far more than the dialog box shows.

That's just because Tale of Immortal believes in making all these guys big on the battle-map to show their importance/boss battle relevance if necessary. Hou Yi was supposed to be a normal sized human and he was like twice your height in-game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jossar posted:

As of this point, it's been 19.5 years since Peng Jun started, subtract about 4-5 years or so for the initial build up time in getting to the Transcendent Cultivator event. I do get sidetracked for like a year or two later on, but we're still generally on track to save Ding Yuhua unless the final part of Nascent Soul and the next two breakthroughs take more than a decade each, which they shouldn't. I am assuming that I can get this done upon entering Rebirth though, if I have to go all the way to Transcendent to not die while gathering herbs for the pill, that might be cutting it a little close unless it turns out that I really can just blaze through the next few tiers.

Yeah I think you''ll be ok unless you start getting roadblocked real badly by low weapon/element levels and can't pick up good skills. Especially if your build isn't particularly strong (IDK how good blade builds are).

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

22. Defying Dragons

That should be more than long enough. Time for the tale to continue!

Before I left, Feng Yunchuo did mention that after thinking about it, there was one strange thing about Tian Yun Mountain that had changed since he had been there. Earthquakes had caused the Nether Mountains to grow recently, with the increase in potency of lingering fogbanks of Nether Air and the emergence of new peaks making the path even more treacherous than it had been before. The majority of the journey as had previously been described to me remained unchanged, but it might be that I would specifically require the assistance of giants to make it into Tian Yun Mountain itself.

As I left, Lixi was a little bit anxious that I wouldn't come back to see her and the rest of the Untamed again, so I reassured her that I would. After all, what's the point of being an Immortal if you cannot do as you please, including visiting friends?

From this point onwards, the path to breaking through to the next realm was a bit more loosely defined. I started by returning to some of the array formations in Yun Mo that I had been unable to break open at Origin Spirit and tearing through the array cores to get maps for heavenly treasures hidden in the Everfrost. If nothing else, these would be useful at some point, surely?

But I was interrupted during the process by Ge Yi, who said that she had come across something so ridiculous that she couldn't bear to keep it to herself.

Not, in truth, that she could have. There must have been a dozen times during the plumbing of the treasure vault where Ge Yi nearly lost her life, as the spirit beasts present were far above her realm of cultivation. And yet, fiery soul that she is, she just kept consuming pills in a frenzy and coming back for more, refusing to let me clear the place by myself even though I far outclassed spirit beasts in question and could have defeated them at this point just by turning over my blade half-heartedly. I guess that sort of attitude is why she hasn't asked me to just gather all the materials for her to break all the way through to Origin Spirit or Nascent Soul in one go...

Of course, maybe that's just the pride of being a Heaven-Chosen. My Master had to scrape and struggle to find the materials to forge a single Qi Condensation grade sword treasure, and Ge Yi managed to find a Nascent Soul grade one just lying around. Ge Yi was insistent that I take it, saying that the other scattered materials from the vault were more than enough reward for her at her level of cultivation.

Now then, Stranger. I will say that I was tempted by my own stubborn pride to refuse and just keep using the sword that my Master had gifted me all those years ago, as my sole memento of her. But I am fairly certain that she would have called me an idiot and told me that even under this set of circumstances, as long as I had fought for it alongside a friend and not just been handed the sword like a complete silkpants, it would behoove me to take every advantage that I could get.

And if she had not, I would have been more than glad to do so in her stead.

After all, how would I have been able to assist you effectively, if I had been confined to that paltry trinket?

I must admit, she does have a point. We went to fight the fiercest monster in the Everfrost, a Leonid which was undaunted in having its fires persist even in the midst of that frigid region, as if it was empowered by a piece of the Holy Flame. Even such a fierce creature barely lasted a minute under our dual onslaught of whirling swords and blades.

(This was a pretty lucky find and will let me school most of the remaining fights in Nascent Soul pretty easily. Case in point: the World Boss melting here. Mengyi's getting a lot of abilities now, though I did sort of just throw them on at random rather than have a coherent gameplan here.)

More importantly for the purposes of our tale though, it dropped a mushroom...

You have not explained why that is important.

I mean, I was about to do so.

No, you were about to explain why you needed the Immortal Lingzhi specifically, but your tale meandered so much that you forgot to explain the system in its entirety. I suppose I shall have to describe it myself, although I hardly see why it is necessary since...

My, my, you are quite scary. What are you doing following this blockhead around? Maybe he really is quite special after all. In any event it is not important, I said I would explain the process regardless:

Mengyi's Lecture posted:

What you mortals understand as cultivation involves the refinement of one's own soul until the apex of the stage referred to as Origin Spirit. Beyond that point, you begin to encounter problems in trying to reconcile your monadistic natures to the demands placed on your soul as you obtain a greater understanding of the nature of existence.

Nascent Soul is the first step in trying to accommodate this contradiction. Breaking through into the stage requires fracturing your own soul into two pieces, the "greater" soul and the "nascent" soul. However, this is merely preparation to endure the struggles of the apex of the realm.

For some strange and fortunate reason, your continent is blessed with five divine guardian beast spirits which are magnanimous enough to provide what they consider to be worthy Cultivators with a portion of their own existence, which the cultivator's own body recognizes as a "soul". Only after the souls of all five divine guardian beasts are incorporated into the Cultivator via some kind of structural framework, like the one provided by Jo, can the Cultivator utilize them to produce a harmonizing agent through a refinement crucible such as the one referred to in Yun Mo as the Staircase to Heaven. After all of that, the Cultivator is ready to break through, although even then a Cultivator can no longer truly remain a singular being any more and will retain elements...

Alright Mengyi, I think that's enough for now.

(Simple version: 5 beasts, each with their own sub-questline, culminating in a fight. They give you an orb, which you eat to gain abilities. Once you eat all 5 orbs, you go into a "final exam" dungeon for the tier to get a different kind of orb. Once you break through, most of the abilities fade away and are replaced by stats with the exception of the beast you choose to keep. It's a bit easier to see in action than to explain, honestly. Though I forget to eat the orbs as soon as I'm done with each segment, saving it for the final dungeon.)

Besides, you missed the part where each of the guardian beasts was protected by a priest that had to be fought through, first!

They were not particularly worthy of notice. They are, at best, part of the guardians' system for determining worthiness. If not an entirely unnecessary part of the process altogether.

Apart from the priest explaining Jiaolong's nature as a rain deity, they did also convert the mushroom from the King of the Leonids into an ointment that would allow me to scale the mountain without freezing to death. If nothing else, I'd say that was fairly useful!

If you are not already immune to the cold.

Mengyi, I can't tell if you're going to be more or less insufferable once we get to the desert...

(This is an actual buff that exists in-game and lasts for two years. Fail to get to Jiaolong in time and you have to go back and kill the World Boss again.)

So there I was, Stranger, standing before the great thunder dragon Jiaolong once again...

What do I mean once again? Even though in exile in Yun Mo, Jiaolong still leaves Panlong Mountain and wanders the world every few decades, so it turned out that back near the beginning of my adventures when those two cultivators were incapacitated by a dragon? That was just Jiaolong out for its equivalent of a leisurely stroll! I shared that with the dragon and we had a good laugh about the interconnectedness of fate.

Which is a good example of how friendly the divine beasts are. I suppose having watched over civilization for thousands of years, if not longer, they have long since lost any need to lord over humanity. Or perhaps it is a side effect of the priests only allowing the worthy to pass and if everyone could attempt to scale the mountains they would be in a much fouler mood.

Once the pleasantries were out of the way, I announced my intent to challenge Jiaolong and our contest began in earnest. It summoned a number of spirit beast protectors to run interference and shoot fire at me, while casually spewing forth a ball of a lightning twice my size. I focused on weaving my way through to the dragon, only stopping cut down the smaller spirit beasts as they tried to impede my progress, before eventually making it to the edge of the cliff. There, I released Mengyi and the two of us were able to get a couple of glancing blows on the dragon, before Jiaolong unfurled its wings and took flight.

The two of us found ourselves buffeted by the fury of a storm, but by avoiding the dragon proper were able to remain mostly unharmed. Eventually, Jiaolong realized that it would never be able to win if it merely kept racing across the mountaintops, and settled back down for a proper clash.

But even if me and Mengyi found it tough to get through the dragon's hide, the truth was that every trade of blows between blade, sword, and claw only further weakened Jiaolong and invigorated us. It was not long before the dragon conceded defeat and offered up its' Divine Soul, the first of many...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are you limited to just one treasure at a time for any reason?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

You can hold multiple treasures at a time for their passive bonuses in your item slots, but I didn't think the stats were important enough given the several tier discrepancy, and you can only actively use a single treasure at a time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jossar posted:

You can hold multiple treasures at a time for their passive bonuses in your item slots, but I didn't think the stats were important enough given the several tier discrepancy, and you can only actively use a single treasure at a time.

I'm 99% certain if you have the focus to spare you can have multiple treasures active at the same time, though they might have to be different types of treasures.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Are you limited to just one treasure at a time for any reason?

Each Treasure in an active slot requires a certain amount of Focus - doesn't consume it, but does mean you can't use that Focus to pay the equip cost for another artifact. You could equip multiple lovely artifacts, but multiple good artifacts is likely to require more Focus than you have.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

23. Meeting the Kuafu

My next goal, after conquering the frigid heights of Panlong Mountain was to search for the hidden spaces revealed by the maps from the Nascent Soul level arrays.

Contained within each of these realms was a Carpia, a fish spirit of prodigious strength. They were difficult to fight, but that only meant that I had ample opportunity to show off my skills with the blade!

(In the absence of any special destinies allowing me to trigger the Blade Ultimate, the way you do so is by getting down to really low health. This is not a general "low health lets you trigger ultimates" deal and is specifically keyed off the fact that the Blade's primary function is lifesteal. Useful for difficult fights because it's guaranteed you'll get to break it out though. The technique name is entirely randomly generated as all of them are, it's just that for the Ultimate you end up with stuff like "Purity's Rear Demonfury Blade" splashed across the screen.)

Each Carpia dropped a rare Heaven and Earth Treasure, but I was puzzled. It did not seem like these would directly assist in any kind of cultivation for beasts or humans, so why were they being guarded so fiercely?

But I was quickly forced to drop this matter, instead being confronted by a different mystery. After one of my run-ins with the Carpias, I got lost. After wandering through the Everfrost's snowdrift for a long while, it suddenly appeared as though the sun had vanished entirely. I was curious as to what could have caused this to occur: perhaps a once in a millennium eclipse that I was otherwise unaware of? I was disabused of this notion once what I had taken to be a nearby mountain started bellowing at me. Instead, it was one of the giants that Feng Yunchuo mentioned that I would have to contact in order to make it through to Tian Yun Mountain!

After some difficulty in communication due to his being so large, I eventually asked the giant, Agar, what he was doing all the way out in the Everfrost. He responded that he was chasing the sun because he wanted to know where it would come down. He then asked me if I had any questions that I was curious about.

Now Stranger, there were a lot of things that I could have asked, but this Agar did not seem like he would know the answer to most of them, so I settled for asking Agar whether he thought the question or the answer was more important. After a moment, the Kuafu shook his head, sending a minor avalanche's worth of snow in the opposite direction, before saying that more than either the question or the answer, it was the process as a whole that was important. Then, he remarked that the sun was vanishing and he had to go and follow it, trudging off westward into the distance with a loud, cacophonous boom accompanying his each and every step.

With the giant out of the way, the weak sun of the Everfrost shone through once more and I was able to find my way to Moonfall Mountain. After defeating the Priest there, they gave me their task: to hunt some rare Kunlun Wood back in Yun Mo. Hmph, I was wondering if the Priest was just using me as an errand boy, but if nothing else, they held control of the wards leading up the mountain to face the Divine Guardian Beast, so I had no choice but to comply. Fortunately, I had kept a supply of Teleportation Charms that would let me head back to Yun Mo directly, if necessary. I likely would have used them before this, were it not for my conversation with Agar leading me to the mountain in the first place.

After combing the mountainside for days, I was able to spot a piece of Kunlun Wood right in between a particularly large Harpy and Coatl engaged in a titanic clash to the death. Unfortunately, the only way that I was going to be able to obtain the wood was if I disrupted their fight and slew them both myself. After distracting the beasts, I was able to use the clashing interference between heaven-sent lightning and atmospheric gusts of wind, to create an opening for myself to navigate through, and then the cutting began in earnest. In truth these were merely Nascent Soul level variants of spirits that I had already defeated before and there is not much to speak of beyond that, which we have not already discussed.

Ha! See, how far that this Peng Jun has progressed along the road of cultivation such that I can now call things "merely" at the Nascent Soul level? Things are far different from how they were several decades ago! ...that incident involving returning Feng Lixi home not withstanding.

But before I headed back to the Everfrost there was first the matter of Xi to take care of. Having collected all of the requisite plants and herbal medicines while fighting monsters out in the cold, it was time for me to finally get that "raising-people-from-the-dead" practice in...

Jossar fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 3, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Now that is a real giant. I wonder how his size is compared to the world bosses?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Scalding Coffee posted:

Now that is a real giant. I wonder how his size is compared to the world bosses?

I think as depicted on the map Agar isn't that much bigger, but for most of those world bosses, it's more of an indication of difficulty than size. Meanwhile, Agar literally cannot hear you unless you use your cultivation-enhanced lungs to shout because you are so tiny and he is so large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

We came a long way from being killed repeatedly by an rear end in a top hat cultivator