Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Right now, there are a lot of wildfires across the Great White North and it really sucks!

In Nova Scotia, we currently have a massive (over 10,000 hectares) wildfire in Shelburne, plus a smaller one in Halifax (788 hectares). Humans caused both.

Below is an image of both fires from NASA's FIRMS website.

Many people have lost their homes. Many pets have been lost.

Very bad all around.

(USER WAS AUTOBANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Haven't seen an accidental autoban in a while. I'm opening the thread since it's a reasonable topic - try not to rib the OP too hard about the autoban. K thx bye.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Looks like op got burned by their choice of tag

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I have been laughing about this thread for a solid hour, good one op

Sucks about the fires though.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
this seems like bad news

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
we've had some very pronounced wildfire smoke sunsets down here on lake Michigan from some other fires to the north

and then like a month ago some smoke as well from fuckin Oklahoma I think??

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hello from california. we are also constantly on fire. a couple years ago when we had a particularly bad year, our state fire fighters borrowed a couple of fire planes and their crews from you guys, i saw them several times. thanks for that. i hope you have them back now.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
ashlander...

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm in Oregon and there's already been one small wildfire nearby. We had a very cool and wet winter, and I'm hoping we have enough snowpack fire season won't be hell on earth again this year.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I autobanned myself for my first thread ever. Happens to the best of us. I'm not the best.

Wisconsin has been having air quality warnings the past few days due to the Canadian wildfires.

State Farm is pulling out of California or maybe not making new policies or something due to all of the wildfires. Just saw something about that today.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Hey to add something somewhat valuable here: https://encycla.com/Corsi-Rosenthal_Cube

For all my smoke-suffering friends, these work incredibly well and for a fraction of the cost of an expensive air purifier.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Sorry op. As a Californian, I can relate to living in a kindling pile full of kids who play with matches.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Not yet but fire season is right around the corner. Hopefully this year it won't be too bad and we won't have any loving psychopaths going around starting them on purpose like a couple years ago

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I grew up in Washington and summers were mild and wonderful.

I don't think I've had one since moving back where the world wasn't on fire and our AQI didn't shoot up over 100 for weeks/months. It's getting hard to look forward to summer anymore.

When smoke season rolls in I buy air filters and stick them on box fans and run them inside. I use an AC constantly so I can keep my windows shut.

Last year our AQI hit the worst in the world multiple times, temporarily rivalling places like Beijing.

On a normal day, our AQI is one of the best.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm in Oregon and there's already been one small wildfire nearby. We had a very cool and wet winter, and I'm hoping we have enough snowpack fire season won't be hell on earth again this year.

i was living in the rogue valley when the almeda fire happened back in 2020 and vowed to be back on the east coast by the next summer after a bunch of my coworkers lost everything they had. gently caress wildfires.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

My house burned to the ground in 2016.

I rebuilt. But many many people in my area didn't

I still have nightmares of opening my eyes to our entire room/ house bright red. The PTSD has mixed the real memories with manifested ones and I see my room in flames as i wake up (wake up in the dream as that's when the memory starts) unable to get out of bed as the flames creep closer and closer. My wife creaming loudly as the flames creep up

Not to say the house was burning while I was inside of it, but the fires were so tall and so bright around us that the entire house was red.

I have loving nightmares of burning in hell.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I still have nightmares of opening my eyes to our entire room/ house bright red. The PTSD has mixed the real memories with manifested ones and I see my room in flames as i wake up (wake up in the dream as that's when the memory starts) unable to get out of bed as the flames creep closer and closer. My wife creaming loudly as the flames creep up

Not to say the house was burning while I was inside of it, but the fires were so tall and so bright around us that the entire house was red.

That sounds absolutely awful and I'm really sorry and hope the best for your future but I just had to laugh at this.

That wouldn't have been my response. :shrug:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Well the fires start coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming

Hot was the right tag though

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I hope Nova Scotia gets through this.

I hope Alberta continues to burn.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The Nova Scotia fire is bad, but one massive silver lining everyone is talking about is that there have been no deaths or injuries resulting. The original fire was spotted by some roofers who hauled rear end to notify the neighbourhood and as a result everyone got out safely. Even animals are being rescued and reunited with their owners fairly often

Smelling the smoke and seeing the mandatory evacuation area creep closer and closer with each alert has been harrowing, but it could have gone so much worse in so many ways. That brings people a bit of comfort at least

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i was living in the rogue valley when the almeda fire happened back in 2020 and vowed to be back on the east coast by the next summer after a bunch of my coworkers lost everything they had. gently caress wildfires.

Yeah, that year was ugly. I'm in Eugene, so poo poo was on fire all around us but not like on our doorstep. I've been dreading going up the McKenzie to see what it looks like up there since a lot of that area got wiped out.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

my garage (not connected to the house) burnt down in the dead of night a few years back and I was first to wake up and notice it and then evacuated my family and that poo poo stays with you, the worst part is how silent and drat bright it is.
it was quite lucky that there was no wind at all since the neighbor's house was very close by, some of his window-mounts melted.
now I'm the guy who shames all my friends into buying working smoke alarms and owns 3 smoke extinctors.
i had trouble sleeping for a while but weed helped me to sleep more and after a few years it's almost gone.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Getting all your second hand smoke here in Montana. Just came back from LA, which is surprisingly not on fire?!

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

You probably hear this alot, but you should move

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

this map looks like a tiny needledick facing left, with a colossal, gigantic ballsack below it

my monitor is confirmed to be on. is yours?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Fire looks pretty small from here mate

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Clearly a false flag. Canada is far too cold to be on fire.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

can you blow your smoke somewhere else op? air quality alerts suck

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Clearly a false flag. Canada is far too cold to be on fire.

It's 30 dang degrees today!!!

Eh

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I live about 4 hours away from Halifax (and 1.5 hours away from the COMPLETELY UNRELATED FIRE IN NB :negative:) and I do not want this.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Das Boo posted:

Getting all your second hand smoke here in Montana. Just came back from LA, which is surprisingly not on fire?!

wait a month.

there's already been two small brush fires in my neighborhood in the last few weeks. lafd got them out very quickly but its not even the season yet

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Das Boo posted:

Just came back from LA, which is surprisingly not on fire?!

I just drove by a fire started by a hobo for fun yesterday, LA is always on fire.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
A lot of people not in the office here in Dartmouth this week because of the evacuations, so I get to handle the massive backlog it's causing. Don't worry though, I'm halfassing harder than I ever have in my life

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

We just had our first small one a few days ago:

LOVE LIVING IN AMERICA IN 2023!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO HAPPY I WASN'T BORN ON MALLORCA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :911:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Careful with those thread tags, folks

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Wait why'd the guy get probed lol

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i don't understand why we don't just gather up all the fire and send it into space??

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Buce posted:

i don't understand why we don't just gather up all the fire and send it into space??

what do you think the sun is made of?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Wait why'd the guy get probed lol

Lol uncovered re-reg maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"