Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if there's something explicitly defined as an imaginary number, it stands to reason it's in contrast to a real number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

numbers believers posting their L's :smug:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

echinopsis posted:

be fascinated by numbers

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

counting numbers - googoogaga
real numbers - comfort zone
imaginary numbers - neato
quaternions - neato x4
octonions - uhhhhhhhh
hyperreal numbers - what the hell is an infinitesimal
p-adic numbers - grfjrkjfffjkr

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

complex/imaginary numbers are just polar coordinates with different notation. youve learned polar coordinates before

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

complex/imaginary numbers are just polar coordinates with different notation. youve learned polar coordinates before

that’s not quite true tho, imaginary numbers make things spin

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

that’s not quite true tho, imaginary numbers make things spin

so do polar coordinates. thats the whole point of the theta coordinate!!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://youtu.be/v0YEaeIClKY

this only works because pushing something by a certain amount of i spins it around

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

so do polar coordinates. thats the whole point of the theta coordinate!!!

I do not know what you speak of

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
theta? more like shieeeeta

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

I do not know what you speak of

z = a + bi, right?

but you can just write that as

r = sqrt(a^2 + b^2)
θ = arctan2(b/a)
z = r(cos(θ) + i*sin(θ))

which is just normal polar coordinates and then your complex multiplications become way easier, you just multiply the r and add the thetas

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

hmm we just need a web 3 einstien to discover where nfts fit in this equation

maybe they can replace mass entirely

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

r = sqrt(a^2 + b^2) + ai
θ = arctan2(b/a) + ai
z = r(cos(θ) + i*sin(θ)) + ai

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Tiberius Christ posted:

real numbers - comfort zone

:magemage:

real numbers are fuckin nuts. most real numbers are not even computable. in the formal sense of most: if you randomly choose an arbitrary real number, the probability that it is uncomputable is 1

not only is there an infinite amount of real numbers, but between any two real numbers you choose, there is... another infinite amount of real numbers! like, what the gently caress

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

hahahaha

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

DELETE CASCADE posted:

:magemage:

real numbers are fuckin nuts. most real numbers are not even computable. in the formal sense of most: if you randomly choose an arbitrary real number, the probability that it is uncomputable is 1

not only is there an infinite amount of real numbers, but between any two real numbers you choose, there is... another infinite amount of real numbers! like, what the gently caress

the embedding of Z in cantors dust is my favorite math party trick

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

my favorite math party trick

you go to a lot of math parties?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

you go to a lot of math parties?

no i am a thrilling and engaging public speaker and I am able to make the proof a fun thing that laypeople can understand and enjoy.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

no i am a thrilling and engaging public speaker and I am able to make the proof a fun thing that laypeople can understand and enjoy.

ok hit me

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i'd love to

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

hmm we just need a web 3 einstien to discover where nfts fit in this equation

maybe they can replace mass entirely

speaking of that

just the other day i found a cool generative art thing. some guy wrote a flowfield rendering algorithm that he calls "rayhatching" to render SDFs and it has some pretty neat looking results. and afaict its a new thing, nobody else is doing it. so i checked out his linked blog post talking about it and he only released it as part of some VC back crypto nft scam company lol. to use his algorithm you have to write 512 chars or less of javascript which gets "minted" to a blockchain and everything is an nft. screw you dude, just release some software i'll pay $5 or whatever, or talk about the algorithm so i can implement it myself! why cripple it by hiding it behind 512 chars of nft javascript

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

speaking of that

just the other day i found a cool generative art thing. some guy wrote a flowfield rendering algorithm that he calls "rayhatching" to render SDFs and it has some pretty neat looking results. and afaict its a new thing, nobody else is doing it. so i checked out his linked blog post talking about it and he only released it as part of some VC back crypto nft scam company lol. to use his algorithm you have to write 512 chars or less of javascript which gets "minted" to a blockchain and everything is an nft. screw you dude, just release some software i'll pay $5 or whatever, or talk about the algorithm so i can implement it myself! why cripple it by hiding it behind 512 chars of nft javascript

reminds me of sketchy quake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMpx3pupMKg&t=32s

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol "NPR quake"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

z = a + bi, right?

but you can just write that as

r = sqrt(a^2 + b^2)
θ = arctan2(b/a)
z = r(cos(θ) + i*sin(θ))

which is just normal polar coordinates and then your complex multiplications become way easier, you just multiply the r and add the thetas

i don’t really get any of this

but it fascinates me

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

lol "NPR quake"

mellow NPR guy voice "Oh hes doing quite well this level"

Other NPR guy "Yes he is, quite well"

"Ah, i see he's gotten the quad"

"Yes, this should be interesting"

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I used to get really high and watch numberphile videos, it was fun

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

quote:

I get really high and watch numberphile videos, it fun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

I used to get really high and watch numberphile videos, it was fun

numberphile videos are what get me high

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

echinopsis posted:

piss is what gets me high

piss!!!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

i don’t really get any of this

but it fascinates me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr5qEb_kT6c

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

here u go echi, have some polar basis vectors that i made in blender last year

https://giant.gfycat.com/SparseGreedyGardensnake.mp4

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’ll be a few days before I am back a computer I can use to look at them but I look forward to it

about a decade ago I spent a bit of time with a pirates copy of mathematica fiddling with graphs and other graphical representations of maths so might be a wee treat to do so in blendizzle

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i actually think blender is a cool way to learn maths because you can do all the maths nodes and get cool instant visualizations. and then mess around with stuff and see how fits together and interacts

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

rotor posted:

the embedding of Z in cantors dust is my favorite math party trick

last halloween i spent the entire party drunk trying to explain the difference between countable and uncountable infinities to some guy who was really into it but also insanely high

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Tiberius Christ posted:

last halloween i spent the entire party drunk trying to explain the difference between countable and uncountable infinities to some guy who was really into it but also insanely high

that was a mirror

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i’m gonna go make a number 2

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

update: it’s real and it’s spectacular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA