Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
why is october…………….not the eighth monht???!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

october? the eighth month? what else could there be to know?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
realheads start the year in march

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
…aurora australis.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

theyre not real just like gravity

gravity is the snowflake force

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

President Beep posted:

september and december not being 7th and 10th despite the names should hint towards what happened, roman idiots adding months earlier in the year for some reason.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

echinopsis posted:

you're thinking of the usaf

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

echinopsis posted:

I certainly feel like I'm paying a massive bill whenever I have to stand up

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

distortion park posted:

lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

President Beep posted:

August and July happened

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
e = mc^2 is the rubik's cube of equations, so this begs the question: what is the rubik's cube of ai? how can ai disrupt the field of using a rubik's cube to feel smart?

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

George posted:

e = mc^2 is the rubik's cube of equations, so this begs the question: what is the rubik's cube of ai? how can ai disrupt the field of using a rubik's cube to feel smart?

proposal: ai = mc^3, aka the rube's cubic

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Dijkstracula posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

distortion park posted:

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

distortion park posted:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

fun fact: it used to be the 8th month.

Then a couple of roman emperors (Julis and Augustus) were like: you know what the calendar needs? months with our fucken names on them

fact?? or fiction??? you decide

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Dijkstracula posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the complex plane shouldn’t work and yet it does what in the gently caress

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
why shouldn't it work

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
e = m * c^2 * i^4

I am making science history

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

why shouldn't it work

coz it’s hosed up

I presume it’s used in equations where there is a periodic factor like AC electricity??

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
it's just a convenient way to write a two-dimensional value as "one" number

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but isn’t part of the point of it that multipling values of the imaginary part will cycle back and forward??

like it’s not just a drop in replacement for x,y coords right? it’s used in engineering equations for particular use cases? what are those use cases??

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
like I said it’s hosed up

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
look either you accept complex numbers or you stick with real numbers and accept that sometimes you'll solve reasonably simple equations and the result will be "gently caress if i know" because the result doesn't exist as part of real numbers. and you end up with a shitload of special cases for everything so on top of being able to do less it also sucks more

also yeah there's some engineering stuff, signal processing stuff, quantum mechanics, and a whole bunch of other stuff. all the stuff. just so much stuff

i mean schrodinger's equation has an "i" right there in it. wave functions that don't have a complex part will always have zero net momentum (iirc; it's been a while)

pretty much the moment you have anything periodic it's just easier to represent with complex numbers

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

echinopsis posted:

coz it’s hosed up

I presume it’s used in equations where there is a periodic factor like AC electricity??

This is, charitably, everything that makes the internet work from power to the ethernet cable to wifi.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
pills shouldnt work. I mean come on - i swallow a tictac and now i dont have an infection? grow up.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

pills shouldnt work. I mean come on - i swallow a tictac and now i dont have an infection? grow up.

why is a mod trolling a serious thread? answer that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

pretty much the moment you have anything periodic it's just easier to represent with complex numbers

this is pretty much what I was hoping to hear and confirms at least my pop sci level understanding of them is at least in the right direction

I always understood that the proof of the complex plane isn’t in trying to believe that imaginary numbers actually exist but that it gets answers hence it’s legit

SporkOfTruth posted:

This is, charitably, everything that makes the internet work from power to the ethernet cable to wifi.

sick

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

I always understood that the proof of the complex plane isn’t in trying to believe that imaginary numbers actually exist but that it gets answers hence it’s legit

that’s all math ever was. math is a tool we use to construct models of the world. if it works it’s math

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
it kind of has its own structure though. the initial inspiration is definitely from practical examples, but then you get some big brain nerd that manages to tie together a bunch of things that look different at first, then extract some abstraction from that, and subsequent generations of nerds do the same thing, and eventually you get some really abstract stuff. then the math nerds start telling you that, actually, the stuff you call math is really just one possible system of mathematics you can build by choosing whatever axioms you want as a starting point and then seeing where that leads. then they start talking about groups and rings and fields and smooth, sensual manifolds, and then they'll try to convince you that it's critical that you be able to make an infinitely big pile of shoes by taking a shoe from other infinite piles of shoes or some equally insane thing and at that point you should probably just shove them into a locker

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

echinopsis posted:

this is pretty much what I was hoping to hear and confirms at least my pop sci level understanding of them is at least in the right direction

sick

I think "proof" is a bit too strong of a word - proof of what? it's consistent with the rest of maths (you start from i^2 + 1 = 0 and go from there, no need to look inside i) and is very useful for physics so like the rest of maths it's tempting to think that it's saying something fundamental but who knows, maybe there are other radically different ways of modelling things that work even better that our senses, scale or minds make us completely unable to access. or maybe it's impossible to go beyond "it's useful" for any maths!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

distortion park posted:

I think "proof" is a bit too strong of a word - proof of what? it's consistent with the rest of maths (you start from i^2 + 1 = 0 and go from there, no need to look inside i) and is very useful for physics so like the rest of maths it's tempting to think that it's saying something fundamental but who knows, maybe there are other radically different ways of modelling things that work even better that our senses, scale or minds make us completely unable to access. or maybe it's impossible to go beyond "it's useful" for any maths!

I certainly didn’t mean proof in a proper sense, I just meant in a more colloquial way, I would guess that to most people the complex plane is not intuitive in any way, and if you were to make the argument to a layman that it’s legit, it would boil down to “it’s legit because it works”.

but i don’t really know enough about maths to make statements that don’t immediately bring up my misunderstandings lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i wouldn't know how to distinguish between those two senses of proof either tbh. imo the gap between what is intuitive and what is useful really interesting, a lot of the results would have been called "magic" until we were actually able to do them, then they become science/physics/engineering/whatever

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
indeed

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

distortion park posted:

plenty of math is done even though it seems useless, though. ironically enough it often turns out that that useless math ends up being the perfect tools to model things discovered later. buncha dweebs were doing calculus and inventing stupid words like "topological space" and "manifolds" and "diffeomorphic", then einstein comes along and goes "wait that's exactly the poo poo i need to describe gravity and time wtf". those math freaks would've still kept working on that even if it wouldn't have been the case though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

complex numbers are indeed in that category where they seem entirely random to everyone when first introduced, but then seem impossibly elegant in actual use.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

sure, our mathematics does have the appearance of matching the structure of something about the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
once saw a video about the mandelbrot set but this one followed some of the recursive functions around and showed how some kinda jumped around in a box backwards and forwards and how
some would be stable and more or less fall into a loop while others would spin out to infinity and I’ve had concept in my head before but this was the first time I really got what the mandelbrot set was doing

stillll fuckin hate fractals but the complex plane is the mf poo poo