Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the veritasium video where he shows the bifurcation diagram and then turned it on the z axis and you saw the mandlebrot set wan like woah

wanna make a clicker game that somehow includes gravity 🤔🤔🤔

thinking out loud - you have a space field and you have some icons that have (manipulatable?) gravity and from one direction (maybe) you have a particulate resource coming from side and the gravity from each icon sucks in the resource but you might have to fine tune the gravity so the early icons don’t suck in too mind compared to the later icons which might be more powerful or have higher multipliers. and the resource might take some interesting to watch trajectory as it passes some gravity icon and moves around

OR you’re some passive space debris harvesting machine floating thru space picking up stuff and you have to manage the ships meagre resources to keep the different harvesting parts of the ship efficient.

but idle games. love me an idle game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

watched a video last night where a guy was unnecessarily optimizing n64 code, specifically how to calculate sin and cosine values more efficiently and it went into using complex plane

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
deeply offended by echis mathpinions itt

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

echinopsis posted:

the veritasium video where he shows the bifurcation diagram and then turned it on the z axis and you saw the mandlebrot set wan like woah

hofstadter had a good reveal like this somewhere in metamagical themas if that's of interest

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

phi vs e which is better

mondomole
Jun 16, 2023

echinopsis posted:

phi vs e which is better

phi isn't even transcendental, what is this question even

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
https://twitter.com/SummerTimeAlice/status/1581900888364707840

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mondomole posted:

phi isn't even transcendental, what is this question even

you’re lying to yourself

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

absolutely in cahoots with pi. you're just minding your own business flipping roughly infinity coins and you want to know how likely you are to have between a third and two thirds of them heads, and well well well not only is e there, but pi just slips in all "oh don't mind me i'm just here to normalize this probability distribution" like it's nbd. except i'm not doing anything with circles, so why are you here? you weren't invited to this, this is between me and my coins and maybe some sums or integrals depending on how fancy i'm feeling

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

absolutely in cahoots with pi. you're just minding your own business flipping roughly infinity coins and you want to know how likely you are to have between a third and two thirds of them heads, and well well well not only is e there, but pi just slips in all "oh don't mind me i'm just here to normalize this probability distribution" like it's nbd. except i'm not doing anything with circles, so why are you here? you weren't invited to this, this is between me and my coins and maybe some sums or integrals depending on how fancy i'm feeling

um, coins are round dumbass

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

echinopsis posted:

hes gotcha there

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

here's a proof for you:

Volume = (4/3) pi r^3

see, there's p right there in the middle

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

the two bits of maths which really blew my mind when i first learnt them were cantor's diagonal proof (it's so simple but it just feels like it must be wrong, the new sequence must already be in the set! you can't have bigger infinities!!!) and euler's identity

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

distortion park posted:

the two bits of maths which really blew my mind when i first learnt them were cantor's diagonal proof (it's so simple but it just feels like it must be wrong, the new sequence must already be in the set! you can't have bigger infinities!!!) and euler's identity

mine was learning that vectors are derivatives and basis vectors (basically the axes of the coordinate system) are partial derivatives

mondomole
Jun 16, 2023

distortion park posted:

i remember finding this extremely confusing and unclear rather than mind blowing per se. it was covered fairly early in an intro class where up to that point we had been rigorous about stuff like basic properties of numbers. the part that always bothered me was: a) why are you allowed to define an infinite sequence based on the diagonal, and b) why is the resulting number even well-defined? i didn't have a way to articulate my concern but it seemed like there was a disconnect between how rigorous we were on some stuff while letting other stuff slide, and i couldn't figure out the pattern

and as it turns out (a) and (b) aren't even super obviously true. like a small tweak to (a) and you're in axiom of choice territory, and (b) isn't proven until you cover sequences

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mondomole posted:

i remember finding this extremely confusing and unclear rather than mind blowing per se. it was covered fairly early in an intro class where up to that point we had been rigorous about stuff like basic properties of numbers. the part that always bothered me was: a) why are you allowed to define an infinite sequence based on the diagonal, and b) why is the resulting number even well-defined? i didn't have a way to articulate my concern but it seemed like there was a disconnect between how rigorous we were on some stuff while letting other stuff slide, and i couldn't figure out the pattern

and as it turns out (a) and (b) aren't even super obviously true. like a small tweak to (a) and you're in axiom of choice territory, and (b) isn't proven until you cover sequences

welcome to intuitionism comrade

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

if you like your number system, uh, you can keep it

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

echinopsis posted:

...gently caress

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
it's both math and computer science, and it's not a fundamental thing, but i remember going "woah" when i learned how you can solve for all the zeros of any polynomial iteratively without dealing with poo poo like getting stuck in minima or missing some of the zeros. since there's already iterative algos to get the eigenvalues of a matrix, and eigenvalues are the solutions to the characteristic polynomial of that matrix, you just build a matrix that has the polynomial you want as characteristic polynomial and you find the eigenvalues of that. it feels kind of obvious once you learn about it, but when you first learn about this in linear algebra you pretty much always start with a matrix, then build the polynomial, then solve for that, so you never really think of going in the other direction

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it's both math and computer science, and it's not a fundamental thing, but i remember going "woah" when i learned how you can solve for all the zeros of any polynomial iteratively without dealing with poo poo like getting stuck in minima or missing some of the zeros. since there's already iterative algos to get the eigenvalues of a matrix, and eigenvalues are the solutions to the characteristic polynomial of that matrix, you just build a matrix that has the polynomial you want as characteristic polynomial and you find the eigenvalues of that. it feels kind of obvious once you learn about it, but when you first learn about this in linear algebra you pretty much always start with a matrix, then build the polynomial, then solve for that, so you never really think of going in the other direction

this sounds kinda like how when u graph functions like z = y^2 * x or whatever you always do it that way. but if you flip it around and subtract z from the right side and set the equation equal to 0 then you basically have a field that approximates the distance from the n-dimensional surface you just graphed. you can make it more exact by dividing that by the derivative of the function, which is essentially the vector field that defines the gradient of the distance from the surface. the direction of the derivative vector field at the surface itself is the same as the direction of the surface normal, which defines the angle at which light will bounce off it. you can then use all that garbage for computer graphics

it’s basically just plotting a function but sorta flipped around a bit

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

if you like your number system, uh, you can keep it

based 10

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

fart simpson posted:

this sounds kinda like how when u graph functions like z = y^2 * x or whatever you always do it that way. but if you flip it around and subtract z from the right side and set the equation equal to 0 then you basically have a field that approximates the distance from the n-dimensional surface you just graphed. you can make it more exact by dividing that by the derivative of the function, which is essentially the vector field that defines the gradient of the distance from the surface. the direction of the derivative vector field at the surface itself is the same as the direction of the surface normal, which defines the angle at which light will bounce off it. you can then use all that garbage for computer graphics

it’s basically just plotting a function but sorta flipped around a bit

signed distance fields you mean? yeah they're pretty neat. i was a graphics programmer for a number of years in another life so i've dealt with them before. you can use them for collision detection, fluid dynamics constraints, and a whole bunch of other stuff. really nice when you want to compute stuff in parallel, eg on a gpu, since a lot of times you can update each discrete sample of your field independently. they're a case of a "dirichlet problem" where you have a partial differential equation, and you want to solve it in a way that the values on a boundary (the surface in this case) are equal to some condition you set (being the surface normal in this case). it shows up over and over in physics; everything from heat transfer to electromagnetic fields to quantum mechanics

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

OzyMandrill posted:

here's a proof for you:

Volume = (4/3) pi r^3

see, there's p right there in the middle

that equation was actually my aha moment where I wanted to study math, when we did an acial rotation integral on a semicircle and simplified it down to that and I realized that all the bullshit I had been forced to memorize had poo poo backing it up. i was all in

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
what pisses me off about integrating areas and volumes of disks and balls (heh) is that it makes it obvious that whatever moron decided that pi should be 3.14 instead of 6.28 hosed up big time and now we're stuck with all of those 2 factors everywhere for no goddamn reason. half of the time whenever i'm trying to solve something that has trigonometry or anything periodic in it, just replacing 2*pi by its own variable makes things so much easier to think about

kinda like how physics people crunching hard equations just go "yeah assume all physical constants are 1 we'll just retcon it later when we clean this up"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

signed distance fields you mean? yeah they're pretty neat. i was a graphics programmer for a number of years in another life so i've dealt with them before. you can use them for collision detection, fluid dynamics constraints, and a whole bunch of other stuff. really nice when you want to compute stuff in parallel, eg on a gpu, since a lot of times you can update each discrete sample of your field independently. they're a case of a "dirichlet problem" where you have a partial differential equation, and you want to solve it in a way that the values on a boundary (the surface in this case) are equal to some condition you set (being the surface normal in this case). it shows up over and over in physics; everything from heat transfer to electromagnetic fields to quantum mechanics

yah i just used them to make this donut last week

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

fart simpson posted:

yah i just used them to make this donut last week

don’t show us your hairy donut

George
Nov 27, 2004

comb that doughnut

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

George posted:

comb that doughnut

nut in the dough comb

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

he is a complex pain

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

what pisses me off about integrating areas and volumes of disks and balls (heh) is that it makes it obvious that whatever moron decided that pi should be 3.14 instead of 6.28 hosed up big time and now we're stuck with all of those 2 factors everywhere for no goddamn reason. half of the time whenever i'm trying to solve something that has trigonometry or anything periodic in it, just replacing 2*pi by its own variable makes things so much easier to think about

kinda like how physics people crunching hard equations just go "yeah assume all physical constants are 1 we'll just retcon it later when we clean this up"

my friend what you need in your life is τ

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

my friend what you need in your life is τ

you're not wrong, except that τ is 100% the wrong symbol for those "circle constant" guys to have chosen.

A main audience for this is EEs / signal-processing folks, because we have 2π bullshit everywhere. But τ is widely used to represent time-constants in that domain, so it's not open for reclaiming.

They should have picked 🍑 instead of τ if you ask me

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Poopernickel posted:

you're not wrong, except that τ is 100% the wrong symbol for those "circle constant" guys to have chosen.

A main audience for this is EEs / signal-processing folks, because we have 2π bullshit everywhere. But τ is widely used to represent time-constants in that domain, so it's not open for reclaiming.

extremely good av for this opinion

George
Nov 27, 2004

Just make it happen. Pick a symbol and start using it. Make it one syllable and fun to write with a pencil.

The Greek letter Xi is pretty dope.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I propose 麤

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Poopernickel posted:

it also looks sort of like half a π, which seems backwards

George
Nov 27, 2004

wide pi

George
Nov 27, 2004

pipi (pronounced like modern greek)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

using τ probably does make more sense, but the community of people pushing it are the most insufferable bunch imaginable. they really give off the vibe of nikola tesla fanboys or dvorak keyboardailures who have to make it their personality and work it into everything

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

using τ probably does make more sense, but the community of people pushing it are the most insufferable bunch imaginable

you do realize where you're posting, right???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
huh. never heard of the τ thing before. shame about both the choice of symbol and the people pushing for it, though

i'll settle for just considering 2pi a single symbol and making it an error to split it or cancel the "2" in an assignment or exam or peer-reviewed paper or anywhere else. or if not an error, then at the very least rude and not socially acceptable unless in the company of the most reckless, notation-abusing, and frankly depraved physicists around