Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Your Computer posted:

this terrifies me. actually using items?

it was a midnight release on switch for me (eu timezone)

That explains it! Okay should be available in 2 hours here in the u.s. then. Steam shows as no release date right now though lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

RegalStar posted:

Sovereign could sustain your team with Royal Veil, Triumphant Cry and Monarch March, so you're not totally dependent on items even if you have one instead of a monk.

Just make sure to have a Gladiator or Hoplite in the same row if that's your strategy. The default targeting prefers to hit the highest HP target in a row and only those two classes have higher base HP, so without them Royal Veil is much less useful.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Sovereign is more than enough healing to get you to the subclasses, if I remember my party.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Someone with the Switch version of EO3 provided me with an event script file from its assets, and it is byte-for-byte identical with the DS version of that same file. Didn't reimplement what they didn't have to, apparently.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Unarmed glitch is still in EO3 HD. Have a weapon equipped, but leave the first armor slot empty, and they can use weapons with fist skills.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hoping games are available on Steam in the next 9 minutes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Hoping games are available on Steam in the next 9 minutes.

ITS OUT RESTART STEAM

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

LET'S DIVE RIGHT IN!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Have fun!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm extremely happy these remasters were made but I don't know when I'll pick them up.

Etrian Odyssey is a franchise that ground me into a fine paste before I finally figured it out and started fighting back. Getting into the groove of the game is immensely satisfying.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The mapping controls are surprisingly decent I don’t think I’ll turn on auto mapping after all

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I'm getting top surgery this month so the timing on this coming out works really well for me, should keep me real occupied when I'm recovering

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

hatty posted:

The mapping controls are surprisingly decent I don’t think I’ll turn on auto mapping after all

Are you using buttons only? I'm kinda having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Feels weird there's an entire menu controlled by one stick and a shoulder button and you can still move

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Known EO1 skill changes so far:

quote:

-Cloak and Provoke mechanics appear to have been changed.
-Dark Hunter's Boost Up gives 6 points of boost at level 10 instead of 5.
-Dark Hunter's Fury no longer lowers the damage bonus from 30% to 20% at levels 6 through 10.
-Ronin's Seigan's attack bonus at level 9 was reduced from 123% to 113%.
-Medic's Patch Up was increased from 1 to 12% to 3 to 15%.
-Medic's Healing Touch is now a 5 point skill, costing 3 TP at levels 1 through 3 and 2 and 1 at levels 4 and 5. It now heals 50%/75%/100% max HP at levels 1-3+.
-Alchemist's Toxins still does nothing. But it only costs 5 points now.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

neongrey posted:

I'm getting top surgery this month so the timing on this coming out works really well for me, should keep me real occupied when I'm recovering

Hope everything goes well, and that recovery isn't too big of a pain.

Checked EO3, and unless I missed something, there's no changes to the game data here. No player skill changes, no enemy skill changes, no enemy AI changes.

Also Atlus ran an obfuscator on the Unity metadata and just generally built the games in a weirdly obfuscated way. I fear they're wise to us...

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Known EO2 skill changes so far:

quote:

Landsknect's and Dark Hunter's Unbind were crunched into 3 point skills, with speed modifiers of 100%/125%/150%
Suvivalist's 1st turn and Slowstep were changed to be 1 point skills.
Survivalist's Baitstep had its evasion buffed from 21% to 30% at level 10.
Medic's Unbind was compressed into a 5 point skill.
Troubadour: Crusade's defense buff may be functional now? At 25%.

Not much here.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I've played EO1U and EO4-5, so I'm starting here with EO2HD. It is waiting for me to get home from work. Very excited.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I am playing EO V right now and I just got the quest for a specific piece of food from... Ghai the Fiery.

Oof, not sure if I'll recover from that one.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

quote:

-Cloak and Provoke mechanics appear to have been changed.

And turns out this basically means that EO2's Provoke mechanics were backported to 1. As in it will forcefully redirect enemy attacks. Not sure if it has the same shortcomings, but it's definitely way better than it was in DS EO1.

The chances are now:

20%
25%
35%
50%
70%
95%
100%
100%
100%

Cloak instead causes any targeted attacks to the user to have a chance to be redirected off them to someone else. This goes up to a 85% chance, at level 15, and 80% at level 10.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Reading all this makes me want to try 1 for the first time.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I caved and bought the collection. Party wiped on Venomfly encounter. Game is still good.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Guild Ragnarok has started its journey. Party is DLSAT because I love pain.

Medicless does require a bit of doing, but it's workable. You have to funnel a lot of funds into way more medical supplies than usual at the start though.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Araxxor posted:

Known EO2 skill changes so far:

Not much here.

Rip Beasts.

This unlocked at 5am for me, but when I finish work boy howdy am I going on a boat.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Rea posted:

Also Atlus ran an obfuscator on the Unity metadata and just generally built the games in a weirdly obfuscated way. I fear they're wise to us...

It looks like it also includes Denuvo DRM. I might hold off on buying until they get around to removing that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I survived the citizenship test. I do not like the finger touch map controls feel. I need to play this with a stylus.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

nrook posted:

It looks like it also includes Denuvo DRM. I might hold off on buying until they get around to removing that.

Funny thing. They forgot to include Denuvo when they launched the game. This meant that the game was able to be cracked instantly and the thing is now pointless.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016

:confused:

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
i dont know if i want to go in for the whole collection, what game would be considered the best of the original 3 if im only getting one of them for now? my only experience w/ this series is playing through the first couple floors of the 1st game on my DS a decade ago so i barely remember anything

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

loopsheloop posted:

Are you using buttons only? I'm kinda having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Feels weird there's an entire menu controlled by one stick and a shoulder button and you can still move

Yeah it clicked with me pretty easily

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dsf posted:

i dont know if i want to go in for the whole collection, what game would be considered the best of the original 3 if im only getting one of them for now? my only experience w/ this series is playing through the first couple floors of the 1st game on my DS a decade ago so i barely remember anything
3 imo, its the most polished of the 3 games. class balance is a little off but less so than the others.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I'd recommend EO3 as a starting point, yeah.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Predictably the unlockable classes' portraits can't be used as alt portraits right away. I'm guessing it won't be long before mods and/or save editor will be able to get around that, though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
EO3 also has crest of a violent wave

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
so i was making a guild in EO3

but then i decided i actually wanted to play EO1 first

This is the guild Hot Tub, may they go far :toot: it's hard to explain but EO1 feels like such a nostalgic game even tho i've only played bits of it before. also i am jamming out to those fm tunes

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Goddamn EO1 is rough until you get some key skills for your party. F3 where you keep running into groups of 2 hares and 2 rollers sucks. After making no progress a few trips in a row I brought a few warding chimes and Amritas to beeline for the shortcut. The free HP/TP Hexer spot was such a relief.

FOEs being able to blindside you when you're the one that walks into them is also bullshit. And the drop rates suck too.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 1, 2023

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

neongrey posted:

hell yea this is good energy to start the EO thread on

hope everything goes smoothly for you

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Tried some EO3 netplay with a friend on the PC version and I'm happy to report that it seems fairly solid. Even though the game pauses when it's not the active window, it does not kill the session. Everyone sending their commands and the game executing them is also pretty quick and snappy, which... You would hope it'd be, but I've seen ports screw up easier tasks.

The only complaints I have are just...how netplay was back on the DS, when basically no-one could actually play it. You're limited to only bringing one character along in netplay, meaning that if you only have two people, you have to do the 3 person sea quests to have a full party.

One other thing to note is that if you are the host, and you're playing with people who have access to more limit skills than you, you are able to use whatever limits the combined party has access to, which is good. I haven't progressed much because I've been messing with code stuff and datamining, so a friend with a party in the mid-teens carried me with Hellfire.

They also did more than the bare minimum of Steamworks integration—you can directly invite friends to your lobby as host, and can presumably directly join lobbies from your friends list if you're not the host.

Speaking of code stuff:

They left a debug menu in all three games! You have to mess with Unity plugin mods to get it to work, and it's kind of a pain to navigate since the battle menu and the debug menu both take the same inputs, but it's fun to tinker with. You can dynamically change your characters' classes mid-battle, which updates their stats in real time, as well as set enemies to just...anything. ALLDEAD causes the active character to immediately deal 65535 damage to every enemy.

Rea fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 1, 2023

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
ProZD did a video sponsored by Atlas for Etrian Odyssey Origins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS8sWhrTnZo

Bit wild to see Etrian Odyssey in the wild.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Wow okay the Barter option in EO3 netplay lets you just. Trade normal items with other players. I thought it was just for sea items, but no, you can send stuff like weapons or enemy drops to other players. That's going to be a godsend for some pain-in-the-rear end conditionals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

jimmydalad posted:

ProZD did a video sponsored by Atlas for Etrian Odyssey Origins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS8sWhrTnZo

Bit wild to see Etrian Odyssey in the wild.
Incredible :allears:

Anyway I wasn't planning on getting them any time soon but it turns out I am horribly weak of will and now they're downloading as we speak and yeah I'm starting 5 buccaneers :getin: