Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Crosspeice posted:

That LP was made before the HD versions were probably even thought of lol. The entire purpose was to let people know of the hilarious amounts of bullshit in that game. I find it a lot of fun, but when the enemies aren't beating you over the head with level difference, the labyrinth is just being kinda rude.

FWIW, when looking up EO1 class guides, the LP's guides came up a lot as recommendations - there might not actually be a source for detailed guides like that that has been updated with HD's changes. Seems like most of the advice is still sound, though I'll have to look into Healing Touch. Haven't really used Provoke at all, Front Guard and Defender kinda cover that need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

Thank you for the advice! That sounds like a great team, but will that make it harder for my second team to get through since they would have some pretty squishy classes and no real tanks to handle the hits? I know they'll have the later game armor and such, but once I get to the point where the weapons and armor will match the point of the game I'm playing, will I wind up in trouble?

Honestly with how subclassing is in eo3 your two parties will probably end up very similar, besides how they deliver damage. Unless you're restricting your subclass picks too

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Incidentally here's a different class guide for Beast in EO2 taking HD into account, since I pretty much consider DS and HD Beast to be different classes in practice.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Is there any write up for EO Nexus classes, since I know some definitely work differently than in their original games?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
yeah, the nexus lp had writeups too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

Thank you for the advice! That sounds like a great team, but will that make it harder for my second team to get through since they would have some pretty squishy classes and no real tanks to handle the hits? I know they'll have the later game armor and such, but once I get to the point where the weapons and armor will match the point of the game I'm playing, will I wind up in trouble?
you could have a ninja/hoplite in the second party, they couldn't use the direct tanking skills but they could still use the wall skills to reduce the damage the party takes. or a yggdroid/hoplite if you use that class in your second party on NG+. they're durable but they have a small TP pool, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Actually speaking of eo3, does anyone have a ng+ save for hd with the yggdroid/shogun unlocked? I want to mess with them but i havent cleared eo3 hd

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Thanks!! I didn't see this one in the op

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

Actually speaking of eo3, does anyone have a ng+ save for hd with the yggdroid/shogun unlocked? I want to mess with them but i havent cleared eo3 hd

Here's a 100% complete save. Do be warned this has the dragon quest completed, so the levels are uncapped even if you deny carry everything over. Also more importantly it causes that one room in Porcelain Forest to have both Drake and all 3 Omnihunters spawn at the same time the first time you go through it on a given playthrough. I believe the Omnihunters despawn at least after that initial event.

Save files are located at: Users\[NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Sega\EO3HD, so dump this in there.

Due to how TEC scales, Yggdroid bot chasers are actually pretty absurd early on before falling off horribly.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Still in the realm of EO III HD: apparently I was not capable enough of doing enough huge, very big damage with my Warrior's Might comp in a single turn. Lacking in levels? Suitable weaponry? Could have used a second Warrior's Might user or a third Swashbuckler? Better RNG? Plenty of room to improve this strat, because I did not get further than about 33% left in a handful of attempts. Fortunately, t'was not really a big problem.

Turns out that poking at it with an unbuffed Sho/Buc while in defensive mode had Expert AG (at 25%-50%) retaliate with a piddly amount of damage against Line Guards. Like, embarrassingly low for a supposed superboss, absolutely shameful poo poo. Distracted it enough to not use its heal. But then I did lose complete track of the turns and got caught off-guard by the form switch again. And my Monk/Sov died, RIP. Did not stop me from blocking everything with Uroboros Guard on the next turn and delivering the killing blow with a third Warrior's Might on the turn afterwards :toot:

Main comp for most of the game: H/N, G/Sho, A/G, M/Sov, Z/G. I had a love/hate relationship with my glass cannon Front Mortar Arbalist, but otherwise this was superb. Berserker's Vow and (Etheric) Charge are just too good.

Let's see if I can finish the other two routes in February on New Game+ and then there's the whole year to finish the series with EO: Nexus.
Playing the Mystery Dungeon games in 2025!..... ha ha ha, I jest.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 18, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Araxxor posted:

Here's a 100% complete save. Do be warned this has the dragon quest completed, so the levels are uncapped even if you deny carry everything over. Also more importantly it causes that one room in Porcelain Forest to have both Drake and all 3 Omnihunters spawn at the same time the first time you go through it on a given playthrough. I believe the Omnihunters despawn at least after that initial event.

Save files are located at: Users\[NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Sega\EO3HD, so dump this in there.

Due to how TEC scales, Yggdroid bot chasers are actually pretty absurd early on before falling off horribly.

ty

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Finished up the Lush Forest today and that sure was a hell of a surprise right at the end.

Took my main party hero, gunner, and sovereign, then brought along a clear stance ronin and imperial i'd kept in the wings. I'd built the party for the first half, which it turns out was useful for the second half!! The imperial was mostly useless, I hadn't noticed the tp so she did some good and then did a whole lot of chip. The ronin and gunner combo were consistent mvp, ronin landing arm binds and gunner with all the others (bless that owl gun you can get, the innate skill being a head bind came in clutch).

Going back to my main team of hero-night seeker-gunner-ninja-sov feels a little lackluster now that I've had a taste of the glass canon ronin. The ninja has really been carrying me with being able to lock down mobs, though, so I really don't want to give him up.... but also maybe harbringer can lay down status? I might mess with that a little. I'm really digging my hero tanking and then pivoting to contribute some damage when needed.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Took me this full page to remember that HD and 2U were completely different games

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

thought I was cruising through EO1 after making it through the second stratum without much issue (yes I'm using immunize + defender) but what the gently caress is happening with this ant mid boss

also did have to use walkthroughs for the Ant FOE mechanics and the hidden passage to this boss, kinda obtuse

Did the DS versions of these games have the quick save system most portable games of the era did, where it quits to title on save and deletes the save on resumption? Hard to imagine playing that way and not having proper mid dungeon saves. It would probably have added a couple extra hours to my stratum 2 exploration (let alone B11F and B12F). I suppose using them between fights is a little bit save-scummy, but I'm not sure the game is improved by more punishing mistakes - the "run back" isn't much fun in a turn based game compared to, like, a Soulslike, where optimizing the run to a boss can be its own challenge.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

thought I was cruising through EO1 after making it through the second stratum without much issue (yes I'm using immunize + defender) but what the gently caress is happening with this ant mid boss

also did have to use walkthroughs for the Ant FOE mechanics and the hidden passage to this boss, kinda obtuse

Did the DS versions of these games have the quick save system most portable games of the era did, where it quits to title on save and deletes the save on resumption? Hard to imagine playing that way and not having proper mid dungeon saves. It would probably have added a couple extra hours to my stratum 2 exploration (let alone B11F and B12F). I suppose using them between fights is a little bit save-scummy, but I'm not sure the game is improved by more punishing mistakes - the "run back" isn't much fun in a turn based game compared to, like, a Soulslike, where optimizing the run to a boss can be its own challenge.

1 DS did not have quick saves at all! Nor side stepping! Those were added in 2, but yeah full mid dungeon saves didn't exist in the franchise until the HD collection. It was basically suspend saves like you said.

Also the boss got buffed in HD. Cure the blind ASAP! Blind is much stronger in EO1 HD than it was in DS. Cuts your accuracy by 70% instead of 20%! (Untouched in the other 2 HD games as Blind was already much stronger in DS 2 and 3.)

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
It is a bit of a shame that the Untold games are still trapped on the 3DS which is becoming an increasingly prohibitive platform for new players who don't want to emulate, but I am glad the HD releases patch up a lot of the jank from the original DS games. It's especially reassuring to see they are aware how trash the Beast was originally.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Even emulating, Citra has a problem with the RNG where it's the same seed every time on a reset meaning a bunch of the "random" results don't end up being random. Then again considering that the HD collection basically does the same thing, I guess it was ahead of the curve on that front. :v:

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Here's hoping the series continues despite the DS going the way of the dinosaur and that the older games get proper ports so everyone can enjoy them. I've heard the HD releases have done pretty well all things considered, so fingers crossed.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

As actual products/porting jobs, the HD games are pretty good and free of issues for the most part. There's been some odd UI glitches but it seems most of those have been stamped out, and if they do happen, there seems to be more checks in place to restore the UI to what it was originally instead of forcing you to reboot the game.

The price point is definitely a different matter, and I don't blame people for balking at that from a niche franchise competing with several other games out there. But the games go on sale periodically now, so people can wait til one of those to pick them up for a decent price if they want.

The mapping controls take a bit of getting used to, but imo they're pretty much as good as they're going to get on a controller. On PC with mouse and keyboard it translates way better, especially if you've played the games on an emulator before. They've actually stated they're using the HD releases as a testing bed for the new mapping controls and wanted to collect feedback on how good or bad it was so they could improve and put that in future games. Haven't seen a lotta big complaints about that, so seems like that end of the franchise should be able to continue on into future games, remasters or new ones.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 19, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah EO HD sold very well for what it is. like it outsold Street Fighter 6 in Japan, though ofc SF6 is a very international franchise and a lot of fighting game players in japan still use arcades. still thats a great result. theres definitely gonna be more games

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i hope for a 4/5/nexus collection to finish the job

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

4 is my first game in the series and made me absolutely love it. I really hope a lot more people get to experience that.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
4 is probably still my favorite, it's just such a chill and fun game (even if it does have the Golden Lair). I lent my sister my copy years ago and would love to revisit it once more in HD.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

4 did the best job of making every party feel powerful without going too far into overpowered. It's also got the quickest and easiest ways to level new characters between the scrolls or whatever and feeding overworld FOEs their favorite foods to turn them golden.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The overworld exploration was delightful and well integrated, a big step over 3's sea exploration (3 was my first), and I was disappointed 5 took a step back from that.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Can I just say I really hate pasarans? I spent over an hour on floor one just chasing one around that wouldn't leave the map, and also wouldn't just die! I fought that thing at least 7 times before I finally was able to kill it! At that point, I didn't even want the Exp, I just wanted it for the codex so I'd never have to fight that thing again!

Other than that, playthrough is going well. Beat the first Stratum and the first two sets of Sea Quests. But I think I'll take a break so the next sight of a pasaran doesn't make me rage. Really glad later games didn't have them.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Edit: Okay, guess with those added details some of my post is still a bit too soon for you. Putting up a spoiler tag.

I'd recommend not getting too preoccupied with pasarans. They can be a nice bit of XP when they first start spawning on a floor, but they are not essential.

There are definitely floor where chasing one feels like a fools' pursuit.

B17 with its shadow tiles. B21 with the slip 'n' slides. Ugh, glad I just needed a single colored one when I reviewed the enemy codex near the end.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 19, 2024

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I've been tricked

the docs say swallow soar has a 500% speed mod and hell slash has 1000%

this is a foul and wretched lie, swallow soar always goes first

my beautiful plan, in ruins :argh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

Can I just say I really hate pasarans? I spent over an hour on floor one just chasing one around that wouldn't leave the map, and also wouldn't just die! I fought that thing at least 7 times before I finally was able to kill it! At that point, I didn't even want the Exp, I just wanted it for the codex so I'd never have to fight that thing again!

Other than that, playthrough is going well. Beat the first Stratum and the first two sets of Sea Quests. But I think I'll take a break so the next sight of a pasaran doesn't make me rage. Really glad later games didn't have them.

Pasarans will wander around until you enter its wander radius, then they will start fleeing from you. You really want to ambush them from behind, and use the relevant bind to shut down any methods it can use to leave the battle. And/or use a limit skill to chunk off a huge portion of its HP. Poison also works as a method to kill them, though the rates may not be reliable.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
I did do that, and use Limits, but it kept surviving with a few HP before running off multiple times. ...Except for the first time where I accidentally walked right into a FOE and had to blow my limits to kill it.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

felgs posted:

Thanks!! I didn't see this one in the op

Going through this, was there just never a writeup about the Night seeker? It looks like every other class got covered, and it's been very helpful for understanding some of the skills, so just curious. It's cool if not!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

felgs posted:

Going through this, was there just never a writeup about the Night seeker? It looks like every other class got covered, and it's been very helpful for understanding some of the skills, so just curious. It's cool if not!

The LP didn't finish so it didn't get to all the classes.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Rest in peace night seeker.

That said, they seem like they're ok at landing status and tearing through that.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

it doesn't have the writeups, but the skill simulator is still pretty good for figuring out what skills actually do.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

felgs posted:

Rest in peace night seeker.

That said, they seem like they're ok at landing status and tearing through that.

In my EO4 experience, Nightseekers are a lot more damaging than you'd expect from a status infliction class- both because of the damage multipliers they get vs enemies with an ailment applying to big damage skills taken from other classes, and also because Venom Throw might be the biggest numbers on a player-use poison status I've seen in the series. With a bit of luck on Preemptive Spread I even had it wiping entire random encounters on the first turn.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I was starting to feel guilty about just how easy quicksave+healing touch make EO1 - go as far as you want, you'll always be able to full heal with 1TP and even if you hosed up you can just go back a save! - so I'm glad this game just introduced B20F, a floor so hideously designed that I do not feel the slightly bit guilty around the lack of punishment in this version. Because holy gently caress if I hadn't somehow quit long before this, this absolutely would have made me hurl my DS out a window in 2007. gently caress this floor!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

did you know the healing touch can also be used for killing

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

I was starting to feel guilty about just how easy quicksave+healing touch make EO1 - go as far as you want, you'll always be able to full heal with 1TP and even if you hosed up you can just go back a save! - so I'm glad this game just introduced B20F, a floor so hideously designed that I do not feel the slightly bit guilty around the lack of punishment in this version. Because holy gently caress if I hadn't somehow quit long before this, this absolutely would have made me hurl my DS out a window in 2007. gently caress this floor!

They actually buffed the floor in the remake! Or maybe it was a bug fix. You could ignore the red FOEs in the DS version. You can't here. This makes floor 20 rather nightmarish for some parties since those are way tougher than the orange FOEs.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I made it to stratum 5 and defeated the B21F boss :toot:

Hopefully the rest of this will be smooth sailing. I'm pretty sure I'm not touching the post game, but I might try to mop up some of the quests since I've got a lot I haven't done, and I don't think I've seen a lot of the secret areas on earlier floors. Just looking at the regular postgame enemies has me thinking "absolutely not," much less the bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

credits on Etrian Odyssey!!

pretty sure I just doomed everyone in this game's world but hey that's adventuring for you