Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

abraham linksys posted:

credits on Etrian Odyssey!!

pretty sure I just doomed everyone in this game's world but hey that's adventuring for you

Yuuuuup that's the takeaway most people had on the ending at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its funny how dark eo1's plot is. ig eo3 kinda gets there too. eo2 has some dangers of adventuring stuff but is pretty whatever. eo4 and 5 are comparatively more lighthearted

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

abraham linksys posted:

credits on Etrian Odyssey!!

pretty sure I just doomed everyone in this game's world but hey that's adventuring for you

mycot posted:

Yuuuuup that's the takeaway most people had on the ending at the time.

Yeah until the sequel came out that was pretty much the takeaway a lot of people had on the game.

Also get ready for a massive difficulty spike if you intend on doing post-game.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The only EO postgame I ever beat was EO4. That one was fun.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
absolutely not touching the EO1 postgame, no thank you!

i'd like to play 2 and 3, but i think i am going to wait for the next sale (it's only like $50 to "complete the bundle" on Steam rn, but I think that would be around $30 if the games were on sale for $20 again)

wrote up a big ol review thing in the I beat a game thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4047769&pagenumber=15#post537998233

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The later games do improve a lot on the formula, but they are also very different experiences in a lot of sense of that word.

EO2 was also another very experimental title with all the upsides and baggage that statement implies.

For one thing, skill design is different. And by different I mean they decided to give a majority of those skills exponential scaling. Meaning in practice skills are either excellent at level 1 and don't need much leveling (a small minority of skills) or are absolutely terrible for several levels and only get good near or at max level. (Most of them.) This model of skill design quickly died out after that game and only got reserved for very specific skills in 3 onwards.

An interesting title, and if you got through 1, you'll probably get through that one just fine. Unfortunately shortcut indicators wouldn't be more commonplace until EO4. Though EO2 and 3 do have a couple early on.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Araxxor posted:

For one thing, skill design is different. And by different I mean they decided to give a majority of those skills exponential scaling. Meaning in practice skills are either excellent at level 1 and don't need much leveling (a small minority of skills) or are absolutely terrible for several levels and only get good near or at max level. (Most of them.) This model of skill design quickly died out after that game and only got reserved for very specific skills in 3 onwards.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

sometimes people complain about the homogenized nature of skill trees in modern games, where it feels like a linear progression of stat increases that never feel like they change how the game feels

on the other hand, as this table illustrates, oh my god the alternative can be much worse

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Getitng back into where I left EOIV months ago near the end of the 2nd zone. Took me a bit to remember what the hell anything did but I finally took down the hollow queen. Was beating my head against it for a while till I found out that binding bodyparts stopped attacks from those parts :downs: Still didn't figure that binding legs dropped evasion till I googled the fight afterwards to see how difficult other people generally found it around level 25ish. Kinda wanna replace my runemaster with an arcanist now.

Is there a better way to level up a new character or am I gonna have to stick a level 1 guy in and just grind em up to my current partys level?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Is there a better way to level up a new character or am I gonna have to stick a level 1 guy in and just grind em up to my current partys level?

IIRC you should get a quest that gives you a "level me to level 20" item once you beat the 2nd stratum boss. Also, you should be able to defeat the first area's overworld FOEs pretty easily at this point, and if you feed them their favorite food they'll turn into rare enemies (meaning they always go first but give massive bonus XP). You can farm those for a few quick levels.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I don’t think it’s a quest, I think it’s just someone in the bar you talk to. You get two free level ups to 20, 30 or 40, at the end of each of stratum 2, 3 and 4.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ShadeofBlue posted:

I don’t think it’s a quest, I think it’s just someone in the bar you talk to. You get two free level ups to 20, 30 or 40, at the end of each of stratum 2, 3 and 4.

Oh yeah, you're right. I remembered it being in the bar but forgot talking to people there sometimes just gets you stuff.

I should replay EO4 again. It's a drat good game and I've clearly forgotten some of it.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

After you beat the 2nd Maze's boss, you'll get the ability to level up three characters to level 20, if they aren't there already. Same with the 3rd and 4th Mazes later down the road, up to level 30 and 40 respectively.

e: Probably should've checked to make sure I wasn't making a duplicate answer over an hour after it was already answered, huh.

Rea fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 26, 2024

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Cheers for the info. I've pretty much fought all the FOEs except the mantis and weird purple guy in zone 2. Going to kick their asses to see what stuff I can make from their corpses!

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Hey y’all, recently finished EO3. Really enjoyed it, so I’m currently in a dungeon crawler kick (I’m now playing Labyrinth of Galleria). Should I check out EO1 and EO2, even if the their gameplay isn’t as “polished” as EO3?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

If you want to sure. I don't think those games are outright bad like some people do, but they might be a bit rough to go back to.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

EO2 is fine, its largelt EO1 that feels a bit dated

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Yeah, I think I'm pretty much done with EO III HD now. Phew!

I had an earlier guild card screenshot where I was at 99,97% charted. The mapping of the sea makes for a fickle mistress! To be honest, I probably would have not even have bothered with the remainder of the sea exploration stuff if Araxxor (thank you!) hadn't made that video + guide on how to catch the Overlord Squid by touching the RNG in the right places. Now I had more trouble getting the King Tuna (pro tip: leave from the Armoroad harbor instead of repeatedly trying from spot #4 to get a rare fish spawn in the right place).

Didn't expect to see my maps appear during the final roll of the credits. That was a nice detail.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 27, 2024

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
EO3 being weirdly annoying to 100% in a series that actively encourages completionism is one of its two biggest flaws (the other being the bad postgame balance). Good work on doing it anyway.

theshim
May 1, 2012

5 masurao done. Had one of my members with nothing to do one turn throw a petrify gas, which miraculously landed and lasted 4 turns, so by the time the boss got to go again I'd taken off 2/3 of its health with Helm Splitters. Very silly run. Definitely don't regret just switching back to 5 blade masters, my brain isn't big enough to use blade dancer at all. Blade master is a bit frustrating when you can't land a single crit for multiple turns, though, wiped more than once to 5th stratum encounters because I just couldn't deal enough damage.

All that's left for 5 is to finish up my mostly complete 5 pugilist run sitting at 18f and I'll have SCCed it with every class. Kinda fitting that this should be the last one, as it was the one where I named my characters after people in this thread and community (though several of them are on old aliases, so I'll need to update those :v: )

Varthio
Mar 12, 2024
Finished playing EO1 (the "HD" version) recently, and although the last stratum was kind of a drag, the post-game didn't really feel that long. time-skip to now playing Etrian Odyssey 2 and I'm about to enter the 2nd stratum and wanted to clear some doubts:

The "long questline" mentioned is the only post-game?
And, seeing how there were some interactions in which I needed to bring an specific party member, does the game cull around having all of them maxed out? In EO1 I sincerely kind of ignored Troubadour and Hexer completely.

Also, I really miss Immunize.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

HD collection back on sale on Steam, so I picked up 2 and 3 :getin:

probably going to be a bit before I get to them, between Unicorn Overlord and finishing up LADIW, but I'm excited

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Varthio posted:

Finished playing EO1 (the "HD" version) recently, and although the last stratum was kind of a drag, the post-game didn't really feel that long. time-skip to now playing Etrian Odyssey 2 and I'm about to enter the 2nd stratum and wanted to clear some doubts:

The "long questline" mentioned is the only post-game?
And, seeing how there were some interactions in which I needed to bring an specific party member, does the game cull around having all of them maxed out? In EO1 I sincerely kind of ignored Troubadour and Hexer completely.

Also, I really miss Immunize.

It's got the standard EO post-game, full extra stratum, couple of bonus bosses, and some more plot stuff.

For the most part, the class restricted doors aren't essential and the rewards from the quests are very bad, so don't worry about having to keep one of every class up to snuff,
the only thing off the top of my head is a couple of quests require an odd party set-up and you'll need a level 40 survivalist to do a post-game quest, which unlocks one of the bonus bosses.

There is a quest you can only finish in the post-game that they introduce way too early, the chess piece themed quest asking for the queen piece, I'd recommend picking up the quest to unlock the other ones and then abandoning it immediately to free up the quest slot, only picking it back up when you have the piece way, WAY later.

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 14, 2024

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
So I decided to fire up my Nexus game. Will an offense specced hero, a highlander, zodiac, medic and arcanist make it okay DPS wise?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Aerofallosov posted:

So I decided to fire up my Nexus game. Will an offense specced hero, a highlander, zodiac, medic and arcanist make it okay DPS wise?

Should be fine. It's honestly hard for a party with a Hero in it to be bad, as long as it's got an empty frontline slot for them to do their thing.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Well, I did it, I beat EO2U!

It was...ffffffine? I do genuinely like a lot of the game, there's just some weird stuff. Grimoires I think are even worse in this game? They made a lot of improvements to the system but being able to link them turns it from "oh cool, I can get some useful level 6 or 7 off-class skills fairly easily" to "my barrier is never gonna be 100% successful unless I luck out with a level 10 grimoire". Other than that though I do genuinely like a lot of the class design, and War Magus in particular might be one of my favorite etrian odyssey classes, ever. I'm also not a big fan of how many summon bosses there are, because oh boy was my party not well equipped for 'em!

I ran War Magus/Dark Hunter/Beast/Hexer/Troubadour. Genuinely I liked it a lot, given it was basically just disabling the enemy and then hitting with extremely big damage via Ailing Slash and Ecstasy. The only problem is uh, such an extreme strategy was usually pretty easily shut down? There are a handful of FOEs that just completely shut down ailments or binds which cuts my damage in half, and all those summoning bosses sucked because I have no AoE. Also like, a lot of the time it's really drat hard to actually inflict! Dark Hunter feels like it necessitates a hexer because he's so drat bad at inflicting! I do also wonder if I shouldn't have used a beast; I needed some amount of defensive support but I could really use someone who can do more damage when the enemy is disabled. Maybe a protector or survivalist instead?

At any rate, I'm gonna start venturing into the post game and see how it goes. Might need to retire into a better party at some point.:v:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I did story mode on EOU2 and then did New Game+ with my own characters (Beast, Dark Hunter, War Magus, Hexer, Alchemist). I'm glad that I had story characters that transferred because the game definitely feels like it was balanced around some of those classes. Beast is fine, but the elemental walls are just so drat good at making certain bosses not stressful. Sovereign also is a gamechanger with buff/debuff removers and the lack of early amritas in that game makes their Force Break pretty great early on.

I've had some painful first stratum boss fights in this game series, but I think none were worse than Chimaera during EOU2 during my New Game+. Just so many miserable turns of slapping them with piddly auto-attacks. At a certain point I just hoped I'd actually lose so I could re-strategize or level further, but nope, stayed in the fight and eventually won with 2 party members left alive. A Pyrrhic victory: it made me put the game down for almost a week.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 3, 2024

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The story party can do some real work, but the game isn't so much overly balanced around them (nor Fafnir despite heavy misconceptions about that) so much that it's more that EO2U just has a lot more room to make mistakes in party composition and skill builds. Most party compositions can actually hit like trucks, even harder than the story party... if you know how. If you don't, you can end up creating misery for yourself if you play your cards wrong.

EO2U probably has one of the bigger knowledge checks in the series just to play it "decently" compared to any other EO game. The gap between the damage floors and ceilings of how much of that a party can dish out is ridiculously wide in this one, compared to a title like EO4 where it's pretty hard to mess up builds, while optimized ones can still dish out lots of damage. A knowledgeable enough player can shred much of the opposition in short time, whether they're on story or classic, where it be a complete crapshoot on where a less experienced player can end up, though more likely on the suffering side in their case. It's probably one of the harder EO games in the series for that reason.

I will note with regards to inflicting, the damage classes are actually pretty decent at doing so. The whole trend of 2 * attacking stat + luck being used in inflictions actually started with 2U, not 5.

And also with the need for the elemental walls, don't underestimate mists. They're pretty drat good items. Using the defend command on top of that (and an All Mist if you can do so as well) can be enough to stop some of those elemental kill moves cold if you lack disables or the walls, or some other defensive measures.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 3, 2024

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Mierenneuker posted:

I did story mode on EOU2 and then did New Game+ with my own characters (Beast, Dark Hunter, War Magus, Hexer, Alchemist). I'm glad that I had story characters that transferred because the game definitely feels like it was balanced around some of those classes. Beast is fine, but the elemental walls are just so drat good at making certain bosses not stressful. Sovereign also is a gamechanger with buff/debuff removers and the lack of early amritas in that game makes their Force Break pretty great early on.

Tbh I didn't find those classes to be necessary, mainly because their functionality could be replicated. All those skills you mentioned are very easy splashable grimoires, with the walls only needing to be level 5 and the sovereign skills level 1.

I will say though I'm not entirely sold on beast. A lot of the time it is a very solid self-sustain tank, and sometimes it dies 3 hits into an AoE because I never triggered loyalty or deadly resolve. Overall it's probably fine, just feels like a class with high highs and low lows.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I started 5 troubs and it's horrible and I hate everything

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Wow who could have predicted a party of 5 troubadours would lack compelling offensive options

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

why do you do this to yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
EO really should let me know fire mastery rank gains are crap compared to ether, I'm all for obfuscation but rank 10 only being 10% is ridic