Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i think my only complaint so far is that the full map view is too big (takes up half the screen) but the minimap view is too small and useless :negative: seeing 2 tiles ahead of you isn't very useful, it would be so much better if the minimap was zoomed out more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

Your Computer posted:

i think my only complaint so far is that the full map view is too big (takes up half the screen) but the minimap view is too small and useless :negative: seeing 2 tiles ahead of you isn't very useful, it would be so much better if the minimap was zoomed out more

You can do that, it's the button with four arrows point inward on the mapping control screen.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

loopsheloop posted:

You can do that, it's the button with four arrows point inward on the mapping control screen.
what!!!!!!! why is this in the map icon list?

well that solves my problem, thanks :shobon:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Okay I got to the 2nd major dungeon in EO4 several months back, and did as many side dungeons are possible. It was fun, but I felt this sense of slowly escalating dread as I went along, like I had built my party wrong or missed important items, something save-file-breaking, probably from loving up a bunch of JRPGs in the PSX days. Is there an easy way to tell if you're playing "properly" in these, short of using a wiki? I'm considering EO3 on Switch but I don't want to end up in a situation where I'm forced to grind up half a party or whatever, and I have no desire to read stat tables or predefined builds.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
As long as you're winning, you're doing fine. There's nothing majorly missable in 4 or getting screwed up. It's pretty hard to screw up in 4, and even if you do, there tend to be a good variety of ways out of that sticky situation.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

beer gas canister posted:

Okay I got to the 2nd major dungeon in EO4 several months back, and did as many side dungeons are possible. It was fun, but I felt this sense of slowly escalating dread as I went along, like I had built my party wrong or missed important items, something save-file-breaking, probably from loving up a bunch of JRPGs in the PSX days. Is there an easy way to tell if you're playing "properly" in these, short of using a wiki? I'm considering EO3 on Switch but I don't want to end up in a situation where I'm forced to grind up half a party or whatever, and I have no desire to read stat tables or predefined builds.
bad news and good news, it's possible to screw up* but it's also possible to fix it

*in my playthrough of both EO5 and EO4 i got all the way to the final boss with a party that just absolutely could not handle the final boss but in both games i was also able to change things up with my class composition and build in order to fix this and beat the bosses

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its literally impossible to build a bad party in EO4. when subclasses get unlocked you can make bad choices there but resetting subclasses only loses you two levels.

These games are not actually that insanely hardcore, especially past the first two. So long as you have some method of healing you're fine. You might have more issues with certain bosses than others but thats just the nature of the game.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Any Dreck users playing these games? How is it?

I know that $80 is kind of steep and the only one I am interested in replaying is 3 (Though I may give 1 and 2 a fair shake again) but I do want to support these games coming out.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Looks like they didn't touch Loyalty at all. It stlil doesn't work with protector shield skills and uses the defense of whoever it's tanking. Sad.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Does Front Guard only reduce the damage of the first attack the front line takes the turn it's used?

I thought it reduced all damage taken that turn, but it only appears to be activating once.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

LiefKatano posted:

Does Front Guard only reduce the damage of the first attack the front line takes the turn it's used?

I thought it reduced all damage taken that turn, but it only appears to be activating once.

That's how it works in EO1, yeah. EO2 and on is where it becomes able to activate multiple times in one turn.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It's once per party member.

By the way Quick Save was converted into a save state lite feature, as the save you make with it is not erased. You can reload that save as many times as you want until you load an actual save file, at which point it's erased.

Incidentally the game does seem to start with a fixed seed each time you load, so RNG manips are definitely going to be possible. Whether we can pull off the same ones as in DS, we'll see. (And the RNG having a set seed as I found out, was an intentional design decision back in DS, as there's a 2nd field RNG that does not use a set seed.)

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Man. Finally got past Fenrir and I'm really regretting not having an Alchemist on 6F. I hate these gels.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

They really didn't bother to even fix script errors

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

RegalStar posted:

They really didn't bother to even fix script errors

I'm peering at this screenshot like a madman and I cannot find any error, except for, perhaps, the indignation of receiving all of a loving pole stone for this guy's leather fetish.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i thiiink the error is that the item you have to turn in there is fur, not skin? but thats relatively minor

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
OK never mind; apparently warp stone got renamed to pole stone to match this now. I guess the original EO2's quest text was just ahead of its time.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Having to go down to B5F every time with only 1 shortcut on floor 3 is really annoying. The later strata don't have this problem, so thanks for the bizarre pacing issue I guess?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Fenrir is dead! :toot:

As it turns out, Provoke is giga buffed in 1. It does not give a drat about AI targeting, and will force the attack to hit the Protector one way or another. Which is another thing it has over DS EO2's Provoke since that had to obey AI targeting routines. I think this genuinely skyrockets Protectors in EO1 up several tiers of usefulness.

The RNG exploits work in 3. However you have to do a hard reset, exit out of the game outright and reopen it, to pull them off.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 2, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Got the collection off of Fantical, where it is on sale which along with a 5% coupon brought it down to a price that while still high, is closer to what I was comfortable with paying.

I can’t believe I am asking this, but in EO1 HD what is the ‘intended’ difficultly level? I was presuming expert.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Got the collection off of Fantical, where it is on sale which along with a 5% coupon brought it down to a price that while still high, is closer to what I was comfortable with paying.

I can’t believe I am asking this, but in EO1 HD what is the ‘intended’ difficultly level? I was presuming expert.

Expert. Basic is a 20% tip in damage dealt and taken. Picnic is 5x more damage dealt and 5x less damage taken. Also it murders enemy infliction rates, probably by the same amount.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah expert is the same as the ds releases, basic is a fair bit easier, picnic is literally impossible to lose

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

When I play these games and hit the third stratum I usually get the feeling that while I like my party, it could be better! That's the time when I look up a skill simulator/calculator online that tells me what each level in a skill specifically does. I form a plan what I want to spend my current amount of skill points on and what I'll do for the next dozen or so. Then it's time to Rest my character and spend them all. That way I'm more efficient with my skill points and my characters shine even more, without just straight looking up a build that someone posted online.

Of course it might take some time before someone creates a skill sim properly updated for these HD releases. I've been mostly playing EO games after they've been out for a while.

Edit: Also, I'd plan my future skill points a bit further ahead when it costs 5 levels to Rest, I'm spoiled by the 2 level cost in the 3DS games.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 2, 2023

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Do what I do and run (at least) two of every class, swapping your team every time you go back:

Pros:
You have access to almost every build and party composition.
You are significantly underlevelled throughout the entire game making every fight a struggle for survival.

Cons:
None whatsoever.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I played for an hour and the mapmaking using the controller on my Steam Deck does work fairly well. Obviously it is not as quick or seemless as it was on DS or 3DS but they did seem to put thought into it. That said, I am still half tempted to either find my capacitive stylus and try it out on the Dreck or just bite the bullet and play on PC so I could use the mouse.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
...Why does it cost money to store items in EO3? I've never played these DS games, so I didn't realize how much jank I was missing.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Because it was that way in 2. You can get a discount at the very least after doing an early quest.

But 1 and 2 (1 got the storage feature backported) have to pay 100 ental for each item.

Oh and renaming costs 1,000 ental in all the games. Changing appearances is free since that was backported from Nexus and wasn't in the DS trilogy.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I just started EO1 and I have a quick question: Is there any items that I should hold on to for later on for whatever reason, or are they all safe to sell for money?

jimmydalad posted:

ProZD did a video sponsored by Atlas for Etrian Odyssey Origins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS8sWhrTnZo

Bit wild to see Etrian Odyssey in the wild.

Every chance I get, I'm going to make two Ronin called Bradicus and Chadicus because of this.

Edit: Also, I love that the game goes out of its way to basically say "Hey, Expert was the original difficulty. Don't feel bad if you find it too hard, we brought in the other two if you want to experience the game without being frustrated."

Randalor fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 2, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gonna change difficulty to picnic when I face superbosses so I can feel extra badass

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Randalor posted:

I just started EO1 and I have a quick question: Is there any items that I should hold on to for later on for whatever reason, or are they all safe to sell for money?

Not anything missable, but prepare to get quests that task you with gathering items/getting rare enemy drops that you just sold to the shopkeeper, and have it take ages before getting them again. Its one reason why people recommend having multiple Survivalists in your explorers guild that you just bring out to occasionally gather resources (the main reason is to make money).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 2, 2023

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
They really made the Medic better. Healing Touch is an amazing skill. Out of battle full party heal for 3TP and only a 3 skill point investment.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

Not anything missable, but prepare to get quests that task you with gathering items/getting rare enemy drops that you just sold to the shopkeeper, and have it take ages before getting them again. Its one reason why people recommend having multiple Survivalists in your explorers guild that you just bring out to occasionally gather resources (the main reason is to make money).

I checked Before I Play so I made a party of Survivalists in addition to my main party. So there's nothing too important to hold on to like "Make sure you hold on to every white stone because you'll need them all for a quest" or nonsense like that? Worst case scenario is that I may have to grind out drops?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I can't remember, did they redo the music for the HD remakes? If so, how is it? End of the Raging Waves in EO3 was :discourse:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Randalor posted:

I checked Before I Play so I made a party of Survivalists in addition to my main party. So there's nothing too important to hold on to like "Make sure you hold on to every white stone because you'll need them all for a quest" or nonsense like that? Worst case scenario is that I may have to grind out drops?

I think that's pretty much it, but there are some true Etrian experts in this thread who could really confirm that.

Later games have some weapons/armor/accessories in chests that can be sold but can't be bought, but I'm not sure when that started happening in the series. Might be a 3DS thing, since most of it seems to be weapons that are really weak but inflict a certain ailment or bind.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 2, 2023

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can't remember, did they redo the music for the HD remakes? If so, how is it? End of the Raging Waves in EO3 was :discourse:

I think I remember Yuzo Koshiro saying, or tweeting, that the original music was compressed. Here, it's uncompressed. Or that he made new recordings of the instruments from his original old-school FM-music machine, so that they sound a lot clearer.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
I missed the giant fuzzy orbs. They're much scarier than a giant 3d model of the FOE was.

I also love that the battle minimap disappears while the action is playing out, adding a teeny bit of mystery as to whether or not you're about to get jumped.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Slide Hammer posted:

I think I remember Yuzo Koshiro saying, or tweeting, that the original music was compressed. Here, it's uncompressed. Or that he made new recordings of the instruments from his original old-school FM-music machine, so that they sound a lot clearer.

The uncompressed (PC-88) versions of the soundtracks have been around for a while. The physical releases of the soundtracks included both the DS and PC-88 versions of each game's music; EO1 and 2 treated the PC-88 versions as bonuses, while EO3 treated them as the primary versions.

These PC-88 versions of the tracks are what are used in the remasters. I'm not the biggest fan of that for EO1 and 2 since they feel like they were composed with the eventual DS versions in mind, but for EO3 it's great since that always felt like the DS versions of the tracks were inferior.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

:what:

I have questions about what a computer that's almost old enough to run for presidency has to do with Etrian Odyssey.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Randalor posted:

:what:

I have questions about what a computer that's almost old enough to run for presidency has to do with Etrian Odyssey.

It refers to the sound font, not the actual PC-8800 computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Actually

https://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro/status/1664694155833118720?t=Dq9CokajVZKl7qnHGkMvdw&s=19