Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Sanguinia posted:

I dunno, it always seemed to run way deeper than just being comrades in arms to me, and not just because they're The Main Breeding Pair among the principal cast.

The main issue is that his literal final lines in BW is swearing revenge on Kerrigan.

Like, sure there's a time skip between games for Raynor to get all sad, but in the eyes of the players he leaves the story going,

It may not be tomorrow, darlin'. It may not even happen with an army at my back. But rest assured: I'm the man who's going to kill you some day. I'll be seein' you.

Then nine years later we finally get the continuation to his story and he immediately drops it with no fanfare and starts staring longingly at a photo of her. It's just incredibly unsatisfying if you've been wondering how the scrappy underdog would manage to beat the Queen Bitch of the Universe, which sours the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

BisbyWorl posted:

Then nine years later we finally get the continuation to his story and he immediately drops it with no fanfare and starts staring longingly at a photo of her. It's just incredibly unsatisfying if you've been wondering how the scrappy underdog would manage to beat the Queen Bitch of the Universe, which sours the whole thing.

I don't totally disagree. That moment was certainly burned into my brain as well when I beat that mission in High School.

Well, there will be plenty of opportunity to talk about it more in-depth as the LP moves deeper into the story. I don't want to get ahead of things. Kerrigan's handling in the entire Starcraft II trilogy was full to bursting with problems, unforced errors and questionable editorial choices. For now I'll just stick to what I said in that initial effort post, which is that I was OK with the idea of Jim pining for Kerrigan in her human form and trying to put up a mental wall between that woman and the Zerg Queen she became because it was representative of the fact that he starts this story far more broken by the events of Brood War than he lets on, or maybe even realizes himself.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

Even the setting, Mar Sara, is useful for reinforcing this. The OP rolled his eyes at this choice seeing it as empty fanservice and/or ham-fisted "full circle" storytelling because it's where the first game, and Raynor's story, started. I think it's a perfect sign of the decadence of false prosperity of the Dominion's fascism. Remember, Arcturus made his capital on Korhol, a desert planet consumed by the Terran Confederacy's nuclear hellfire and still suffering the ravages of radioactive fallout, just for the sake of the symbolism. The resources he squandered making it not just livable, but the center of government and commerce for an interstellar empire (and we'll see how successful he was at that in this game, especially compared to how the place looked in Brood War) are staggering to contemplate. In light of that, why not recolonize Mar Sara? What better empty gesture toward your government's greatness and triumph over the alien than to go back to a world they glassed and rebuild it, not matter how absurd the expense or how much suffering the colonist have to endure to make it happen? Sure, they have to live in a hellish police state and struggle to eke out a subsistence lifestyle, but at least you got to run up the flag and cut a ribbon!
The key problem with this argument is that two years between the end of the Brood Wars (when Arcturus regained his power) just doesn't seem like remotely enough time to rebuild a planet that (checks post) had the planet's matter distorted, the surface covered in magma, and most of the atmosphere burned away. Remember that the end of Brood War had Mengsk's empire needing to get rebuilt after the mess of the UED then Zerg rampaging through it. Oh, and don't forget that Mengsk needed to call in all sorts of favors and loans and promises to get his final fleet to stop Kerrigan at the end of BW - which then got completely obliterated and presumably needed to be rebuilt from scratch to hold the empire together.

So like, in 2500, he's so short on soldiers ships, and equipment that he has to play tons of politics to even defend his own territory against the omnipresent Zerg threat, but within two years, he's got enough free liquidity to throw away resources completely rebuilding the entire ecological system and atmosphere of a lovely backwater colony nobody cared about?

Even in a soft sci-fi setting with Space Magic, that really stretches credibility. Mengsk has dozens of higher priority ways to spend his time and money during the two years between BW and the recolonization. If he wanted an empty propaganda gesture, it's much more reasonable to just leave the planet glassed as a constant reminder of the need for unity, how only I can protect you, how the Zerg are still a threat which justifies my tight-fisted rule and et al...then use those resources in a more productive fashion.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I mean, I'm not going to defend the timeline. It only being 4 years since Brood War (according to the reporter, I don't know anything about Starcraft's expanded canon except the lore that was in the instruction manual and the official strategy guide that was packed in with the box set) is stupid. It should have been at least 10 if not more, and I don't think that extra period would have necessitated any more radical changes to the characters designs. Nobody really cares how old Batman is and if its plausible for him to be able to maintain his muscle mass. I'm just looking at what's going on on a thematic level.

Side note, World of Warcraft has this problem constantly. The official line from the company I believe is that every expansion has been an in-universe year, and this current expansion just had 4 year time skip which is supposed to justify a lot of changes but doesn't really account for the fact that it's been like 10 years of constant war and near-apocalypse before that. I just don't think anybody in the Blizzard writers room has any concept of time scale.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

I don't totally disagree. That moment was certainly burned into my brain as well when I beat that mission in High School.

Well, there will be plenty of opportunity to talk about it more in-depth as the LP moves deeper into the story. I don't want to get ahead of things. Kerrigan's handling in the entire Starcraft II trilogy was full to bursting with problems, unforced errors and questionable editorial choices. For now I'll just stick to what I said in that initial effort post, which is that I was OK with the idea of Jim pining for Kerrigan in her human form and trying to put up a mental wall between that woman and the Zerg Queen she became because it was representative of the fact that he starts this story far more broken by the events of Brood War than he lets on, or maybe even realizes himself.

This was my read on it too. Yeah, Raynor swears to put a bullet in Kerrigan at the end of the Brood War, and we see over the course of Wings of Liberty that the the man is carrying around gun with only one bullet in the chamber for when that day comes, and he's been sitting around moping in a bar for nearly a decade because Kerrigan curbstomped him at the end of Brood War and then Mengsk picked up the slack in styling all over him after she retreated back to Char. Raynor mourning the loss of Sarah Kerrigan and wanting the kill the Queen of Blades are not mutually exclusive ideas.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I don't think it's wrong to pick up romantic vibes from Raynor/Kerrigan in SC1, because I got them too, but what I liked about their relationship in SC1 was how it wasn't the pure melodrama it became in the sequel, which we're already seeing in the intro cutscene. It's fairly obvious they had a thing for each other in the OG Terran campaign, possibly even slept together, but to me it read as just that: two people who were believably kinda into each other, not ~*~TRUE LOVE~*~ to span the lifetime of the universe. I can't really go into detail because of spoilers, but pretty much all of my issues with their relationship in SC2 come back to that.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I still maintain that a lot of problems with the timescale between 1 and 2 would go away if there was a 0 on the end of that 4 year gap. Because like, that's two full generations, enough time for colonies and a huge population boom to really expand the terran reach and for the dominion to have rebuilt, refocused and rearmed itself.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Oh the plot is going to get so much dumber, I regret watching those cutscenes.
SC1 didn't have that much of a plot but it was good for the time, now you're all going to suffer through WOW in space but less original somehow.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Ah, Starcraft 2. Excellent gameplay (especially with Moebius mod) and absolutely atrocious writing. While people were complaining that single player campaign is glorified tutorial, I like how every mission is different and at least tries to go beyond "kill everything that isn't you".

Also opening cinematics for Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void are loving awesome.

Szarrukin fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 1, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Szarrukin posted:

Also opening cinematics for Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void are loving awesome.

Honestly, the opening for this one is too! Less bombastic, but really good at building up that feeling of hype. As the original announcement trailer it was genuinely awesome.

Although in retrospect Tychus there having trousers on when he gets sealed permanently into his armour seems like it's really going to start causing problems in a few hours' and a few drinks' time.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Yup, art team is that one part of Blizzard that has constantly been top class.

Tenebrais posted:

Although in retrospect Tychus there having trousers on when he gets sealed permanently into his armour seems like it's really going to start causing problems in a few hours' and a few drinks' time.

In Tyranny there was a NPC who was permanently sealed in his armour and it has been mentioned that he reeks of poo poo and piss.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

NewMars posted:

I still maintain that a lot of problems with the timescale between 1 and 2 would go away if there was a 0 on the end of that 4 year gap. Because like, that's two full generations, enough time for colonies and a huge population boom to really expand the terran reach and for the dominion to have rebuilt, refocused and rearmed itself.

Yeah but then Raynor might look more differenter and they couldn't just copypaste him.

Also speaking of how Raynor looks, I know it's so you can pick him out easily on the battlefield, but it's amusing that his model is twice as large as the other marines.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I would say in defense of WoL.

The opening scene of Raynor with the picture is incredibly evocative of the story the game wants Jim to tell for someone completely new to starcraft.

It becomes a garbage fire by early Hots, don't get me wrong, but that opening cutscene was excellent for getting its hooks in me as someone new to the franchise.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Entire WoL story looks like someone in Blizzard got really fascinated by Firefly.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I love StarCraft 2. I played it semi-professionally for a few years (to no results, game is hard lmao) so I'm very attached to the gameplay. Wings of Liberty is SC2 at its peak, both writing-wise and competitive-wise. There's some dumb, stupid poo poo in the game's story (we've already encountered the weird forced Raynor/Kerrigan romance) but it feels really perfect for a small, relatively self-contained sci-fi western story. Heart of the Swarm takes a nosedive, and Legacy of the Void is an improvement over that, but still has some issues.

Even my first time playing this game I thought Brutal was too easy. Even Brutal has absolutely nothing on the difficulty of some of the SC1 missions IMO, I think the only time I played a difficulty below Brutal was when I went for the achievements, but a couple of years ago I went back and did all the WoL achievements on Brutal (even though they're tailored to fulfil some kind of difficult condition but in exchange require only Hard/Normal difficulty).

Anyway, I'll be following this thread every step of the way. You're doing a great job covering everything so far, so I don't think I'll have much to contribute, but I definitely know a lot of stuff about this game!

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

SoundwaveAU posted:

Even my first time playing this game I thought Brutal was too easy. Even Brutal has absolutely nothing on the difficulty of some of the SC1 missions IMO, I think the only time I played a difficulty below Brutal was when I went for the achievements, but a couple of years ago I went back and did all the WoL achievements on Brutal (even though they're tailored to fulfil some kind of difficult condition but in exchange require only Hard/Normal difficulty).

There's a mod called Nightmare Difficulty which should be pretty self-explanatory.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

To add to the recolonizing Mar Sara chat, the central hub of Dominion control is Backwater Station, which, as mentioned earlier, existed back in SCI. On top of this, a later clickable object in between missions will trigger someone mentioning that they're still digging feral zerg out from holes in the outlying areas.

And then, the locals are treated by the writing as longer term colonists who came in later; one of the Mar Sarans in this last mission mentioned remembering Raynor from the old days. Whereas if the place was resettled, everyone would have arrived at about the same time, and very few people would have roots to the old Mar Sara.

Even though that line says that Mar Sara was recolonized, they are attempting to portray it as a place that consistently had life on it for the past two years. They aren't even following their own bullshit.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

To add to the recolonizing Mar Sara chat, the central hub of Dominion control is Backwater Station, which, as mentioned earlier, existed back in SCI. On top of this, a later clickable object in between missions will trigger someone mentioning that they're still digging feral zerg out from holes in the outlying areas.

And then, the locals are treated by the writing as longer term colonists who came in later; one of the Mar Sarans in this last mission mentioned remembering Raynor from the old days. Whereas if the place was resettled, everyone would have arrived at about the same time, and very few people would have roots to the old Mar Sara.

Even though that line says that Mar Sara was recolonized, they are attempting to portray it as a place that consistently had life on it for the past two years. They aren't even following their own bullshit.

the wider universe of Wings of Liberty can be summed up very quickly with "trying to have your cake and eat it too"

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the wider universe of Wings of Liberty can be summed up very quickly with "trying to have your cake and eat it too"

Accurate

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I finally realized something.

Maybe SC2's opening cinematic so prominently featuring a close up on a dude's [sealed in power armor] crotch was in retrospect a warning sign.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I like how Tychus's presumably new power armor comes with decals, graffiti, and a kill count pre-applied

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Cythereal posted:

I finally realized something.

Maybe SC2's opening cinematic so prominently featuring a close up on a dude's [sealed in power armor] crotch was in retrospect a warning sign.

It's a Mechanical Codpiece the size of a motorcycle engine. That's just Science-Fantasy Oversized power armor 101.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm are perfectly fine games if you ignore everything Starcraft had previously established.

Never got around the third one, even though I enjoyed Protoss gameplay.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

wologar posted:

Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm are perfectly fine games if you ignore everything Starcraft had previously established.

Never got around the third one, even though I enjoyed Protoss gameplay.

Legacy of the Voice is also a perfectly fine game if you ignore everything the previous games established about the Protoss.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You also have to stop playing before the epilogue.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

nine-gear crow posted:

Legacy of the Voice is also a perfectly fine game if you ignore everything the previous games established about the Protoss.

It's funny how World of Warcraft draenei started as "fantasy Protoss" but now it's more like post-WoL Protoss are basically lightforged draenei from Legion and onwards, just replaced Burning Legion with Swarm/Xel'naga and Argus with Aiur.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh hell yes, SC2 is a great game. Shame about the writing, but that's been covered in detail.

Looking forward to this one.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
SC2 Trilogy in a nutshell: Great fun gameplay, absolutely poo poo story.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Most pro wrestling matches seem like goddamn Shakespeare in comparison.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
BY GOD IT'S NOVA WITH THE STEEL CHAIR!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm dead serious, they should have fired the writing team and hired Vince McMahon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

By popular demand posted:

I'm dead serious, they should have fired the writing team and hired Vince McMahon.

But Mengsk is already in the game though :v:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

nine-gear crow posted:

But Mengsk is already in the game though :v:

:vince:

I played through WoL a number of times back when it first launched; I even got reasonably good at Lost Viking. I never did follow up with the other two campaigns, though; the release strategy sat wrong with me (iirc they initially released each campaign separately at the full retail price of a complete game), and after the hype died down I heard that as bad as the writing in WoL was, it was still better than in the other two campaigns. And in all these years, I've never had them spoiled for me. I can't wait to see just how bad this shitshow gets.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 3, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Mar Sara 2: The Outlaws

Jimmy misses his girlfriend so much her photo gets a load screen.

Video: Old Times

Jimmy finishes a job and goes right back to drinking alone.

Also, the common housefly has managed to make it to the Koprulu Sector.

Although it looks like he finally got a drinking buddy.

The implication here is that Jim's little tussle at Backwater Station let Mengsk know exactly where to send Tychus.

Jim instantly relaxes once Tychus reveals himself.

Turns out that the obvious Dominion plant was a previously unmentioned friend of Jim, who knew?

Guess what, this all takes place in a pair of side story novels! It barely even matters here! All you need to know is that Jim and Tychus used to be Crime Buddies before Tychus took the fall for Jim after a job went bad. Jimmy then ended up fleeing to Mar Sara, cleaning up his act, and becoming the local marshal.

Every mission will have one of these intermission segments, where you can talk with people and look at things.

The jukebox lets you change the music.

>Talk to Tychus

Haha. Yeah, I've heard this one before! But you left out the part where you walked on water, made off with the Warden's daughter!

Don't you get uppity with me, boy. I heard all about you becoming a big time freedom fighter while I was away! What happened, Jimmy - the war for truth and justice get too much for ya?

I ain't licked yet, Tychus. And I promise you - Mengsk is goin' down one way or another.

>Watch news

Actually Donny, the people I talked to seemed really encouraged by the—

>Examine Kerrigan's photo.

>Examine Viking photo

Folks in these parts are ready to fight back against Mengsk. Guess they just needed a little push.

You still take this whole revolution thing pretty serious, then.

Everyone needs a hobby, Tychus.

>Start mission

Video: The Outlaws

Ex—convict Tychus Findlay has revealed the Dominion came to Mar Sara to excavate an alien artifact. Seizing the artifact will strike another blow against the Dominion and generate funds from selling it to Findlay's mysterious contacts.

Our next unlock is the ever useful Medic, but more than that, we're actually getting paid for this job!

One of SC2's big campaign changes is a more freeform method of progression. We'll have to get off Mar Sara in order to actually spend those 45K credits, mind you, but boy will it give us options.

Well I'll be damned...

On top of marines, this base has some kind of vehicle unit guarding it.

No intro cutscene this time, we go straight to base building! We start with 8 SCVs and 6 Marines.

Some more improvements from SC1, bases will now tell you exactly how many workers you need to saturate your resources. Each mineral patch can take 3 workers to hit full efficiency.

Bases also have far more efficient resource layouts. A setup like this, with one more geyser on the other side of the mineral line, will be pretty much standard throughout the entire trilogy. Gone are the days of New Gettysburg where minerals and vespene were on opposite ends of the screen, forcing you to either make several extra SCVs or an entire second Command Center to cut down on travel time.

A small quirk with SCVs is that they count as both bio and mech, letting Medics heal them or other SCVs repair them as needed.

While we're at it, extra SCVs will help us harvest minerals faster. Train 'em up at the Command Center.

Supply Depots have also gotten a makeover, dropping from a 2x3 footprint to a slimmer 2x2.

They also gained the ability to lower themselves, letting units walk across it. This means you can build them around your base without having to worry about your units getting stuck on them, or slap one in the corner of a defensive wall and drop it as needed to let your own guys in and out!

All we can build in this mission are Command Centers, Depots, Barracks, and Refineries.

While my SCVs are building, I take my starting Marines and head out a bit.

Because just outside the base are resource caches. Blues are minerals, greens are vespene, and each one is a quick 100 of whatever the cache holds. This early in a mission it gives a nice shot in the arm to speed up your economy, and incentivizes you to push out of your base instead of just turtling until you have an unstoppable death ball.

With that 100 gas, I go and make a Tech Lab for my Barracks. Much like the add-ons in SC1, the Tech Lab opens up higher tech units. They're also needed for unit specific upgrades like the Stimpack in ladder play, but the campaigns use an entirely different system for those so they're just a unit prereq here.

Further north are three mineral caches guarded by three Marines. This is one of the differences difficulty can make. On Casual, this would have been completely unguarded, letting you snag it effortlessly.

If you look closely, you can see that one of the enemy Marines looks a bit different.

That's because it's not a Marine, it's a War Pig! They're a stronger Marine that we'll see more of later.

Even more quality of life improvements: Shift-clicking to queue up multiple actions will now show every action as a line.

With a bonus 400 minerals in less than a minute, I start pumping out Depots so I can make an army.

It was at this point I remembered to bump up my game speed. Hard defaults to Fast, but I'm used to Faster at this point.

This also make that timer above the minimap a bit misleading, as it tracks the in-game timer, not the actual time.

A bit later, and an attack wave hits. With my new Medics I can clear them out with no losses.

Medics have been simplified from their Brood War counterparts. Gone are Optical Flare and Restoration, the SC2 Medic can heal and nothing else. Admittedly, they don't need to do anything else, the ability to keep a group of Marines standing is so powerful that I'm not kidding that a mixed force of Marines, Medics, and one more early-game unit can handle about 95% of all fights in Wings with no issues.

They're also the first instance of the campaign unit lineup diverging from competitive, in that the Medic has never been available to Terran in ladder play, with another unit taking their niche.

I build up another Medic and two more Marines and then start moving towards the objective.

If you look at my control groups, you can see that SC2 allows you to group select buildings and hotkey them as needed. This lets me periodically swap over and queue up another batch of Marines to bolster my numbers without having to map over every time.

Moving off the road starts an event.

Good! That'll keep the Dominion off our backs.

Those folks need our help, Tychus. There's no way we're leavin' 'em to rot!

And our bonus for today is to help out these rebels.

Welcome aboard, boys.

Raynor's the man!

It's Raynor's boys!

Dominion can go to hell!

Walking over the marker immediately gives us control of them, netting us another 4 Marines and 3 Medics.

Plus another Barracks, two Supply Depots, and 200 minerals and gas in caches. Not a bad haul for going 10 feet out of our way!

With the free Marines, plus the reinforcements trickling in from my base, I'm now up to a healthy 21 men. That should be enough to finish the mission.

Approaching the base makes the vehicles we saw in the intro, Hellions, to advance on my army.

They...

...do anti-Light damage in an AOE line. As you can see, my army has nothing but Light units, making them tear through my marines.

If their AI was good enough to close in before attacking, they could have torched a good number of my Marines.

Just past them is a Bunker, and I had the bad luck to run into an attack wave as it was heading out.

I'm not even in the base yet, and I'm already down a third of my Marines.

The base itself has even more Hellions, backed by a bunch of Marines to take down anyone burned by the Hellions, with two Barracks a and Factory that's constantly pumping out more Marines and Hellions.

And on Brutal, there's a Siege Tank tucked by the Depot on the upper right! With Marines as your only attacking unit this early in the game, your only option there is to just have enough bodies to survive long enough to close in.

After the initial push, the first priority is taking out enemy production.

The AI is actually smart enough to pull SCVs to repair!

Not smart enough to grab that War Pig and Firebat to attack until one of my Marines wanders too close, however.

The first Barracks goes down.

So does the second.

And then the factory, leaving the entire base defenseless.

And done.

No Quarter - Complete "The Outlaws" mission without building additional Barracks on Normal difficulty.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 5, 2024

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Mission's a straightforward fight to introduce you to how other base building missions will be different. Good gameplay.

But onto bad writing. Bad writing isn't just gigantic, lovely twists and confusing themes, it comes across in small ways, too. The one that really stuck out here:

quote:

Is this one and the way he says it, all wistful-like. Keeping continuity with brood war character wise at least, could've been done without rewriting the whole thing by just having him sound bitter and changing it to the more straightforward "It would've been better if you died that day." Going with the last time we saw him: pledging to murder her.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

I enjoyed SC2 a lot, but, yeah, a good chunk of it had to do with gameplay. I could beat the game without any cheats which is more than I could say about WC3 and SC1 :V

I never did play the last expansion, though I did buy it.

'course, any time I think of replaying the game I think of Blizzard today and just sigh and do something else :[

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

There's not overmuch to say about this update. We formally meet Tychus, and as OP mentioned we don't need the prior relationship to be over-explained by those novels. One went to prison, one became Our Hero. Jim doesn't seem to think there's any bad blood between them, and Tychus doesn't let on that he's holding any grudge. The dialogue is mostly mechanical and serves the purposes of establishing their pre-existing relationship and the plot point that's going to have them working together, so there's not much to read into it. It's probably worth noting that Tychus needles Jim a bit on his status as a revolutionary, as if doubting its veracity, and that Jim does lightly stand up for himself and his cause despite the fact that there's nobody there to judge what he says and based on their interactions he'd have no reason to lie or put up a front to Tychus. That's about the only thing in the text for this section that ISN'T just necessary plot business and VERY basic character establishment, so we can keep it in mind for later.

We also get the start of an important element of dramatic irony in the story. We, the player, immediately know that Mengsk let Tychus go, and our very first assumption (reinforced at every turn by his characterization as a shady rear end in a top hat) has to be that he's here to kill Raynor. Except he doesn't, and we're left to wonder why, and what his true agenda is. Has he double-crossed Mengsk right out of the gate and gone into business for himself? Or is this all part of a deeper design on our villain's part?

The UNN News Reports become a fun (if, again, pretty basic) running gag in these inter-mission scenes. It's a ham-fisted and cartoonish depiction of state-controlled media that masquerades as independent journalism, compared to more serious takes on the trope like Babylon 5's ISN, but Starcraft has never been afraid to embrace silliness alongside the edgy drama. Character-wise, we see that despite the fact that she was used as Controlled Opposition in Mengsk's press conference, Kate Lockwell is not a willing tool of the Dominion, even though the institution that she works for is.

Jim's dialogue toward the photo of Kerrigan is the first of many odd choices they make regarding their relationship. I think there intent here to illustrate how complex his feelings toward Kerrigan really are, that he would say SOMETIMES he thinks it would have been better if she were already dead, which in turn implies that there are other times he's glad she's still alive. That's not terribly consistent with how this part of the plot is going to carry itself forward in this game, let alone how he ended Brood War. Theoretically one could argue that that's the point. He's in so much conflict with himself about Kerrigan he doesn't really know what he feels, and any statements he makes about her ought to be regarded as suspect until he actually takes action to back them up. I don't know if I would swallow that argument though, and I'm more positive on this game's story than most. I think it was just a bad call, a stumble right out of the gate that could have been improved pretty easily.

From a gameplay perspective, there's not much to say about the first level, but it is a first taste of just how different this campaign is going to be compared to the old Starcraft games, and RTS games in general. Few entries in this genre are willing to diverge between the campaign and multiplayer designs so much, and its one of the things I most enjoy about Starcraft 2.

Also, I hope whoever came up with the opening and closing Supply Depots was given a raise. And a promotion. And possible a medal of some kind.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 3, 2023

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
UNN News Reports is a joke that was was funny first and even second time, but they decided to spread it over entire game, effectively killing it.

Tychus is such obvious Jayne Cobb expy it hurts and his obvious betrayal is one of the worst "plot twist" I've ever seen.

The lesser is told about Jim+Kerrigan romantic subplot, the better.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Szarrukin posted:

UNN News Reports is a joke that was was funny first and even second time, but they decided to spread it over entire game, effectively killing it.

Tychus is such obvious Jayne Cobb expy it hurts and his obvious betrayal is one of the worst "plot twist" I've ever seen.

The lesser is told about Jim+Kerrigan romantic subplot, the better.

When it comes to Tychus I almost appreciate that they DIDN'T do the "guy working for the villain is conflicted and has a change of heart" narrative, because that's been done to death and instead it's just "yeah, he's a loving shitbag right to the end and gets no redemption, deal with it." The alternative honestly wouldn't have been any more interesting anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
But do we ever get the answer to the most important question? ARE our children using Stimpaks?!