Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Kith posted:

I meant in the interim period between Brood War and Starcraft 2, which is... what, 5-8 years? I can't remember.

I think that interim period and the way it's mostly just... ignored is one of the most baffling weak holes in the story. You've got a part that doesn't have to really fit any gameplay, you could say that Mengsk took up knitting, Kerrigan started the Hydralisk Bowling League and Zeratul composed a rock opera about a lonely Probe, loving anything that would establish motivations and perhaps deepen characters a bit. But instead it seems to have consisted largely of everyone sitting around jerking off while Mengsk rebuilt a war-devastated sector of human space in record time until Raynor finally got drunk enough that he started shooting at the Dominion and Duran/Narud started farting his evil plot at Kerrigan and Zeratul until they woke up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Yeah, that's what I mean. The Swarm was conveniently quiet, Raynor was been pickling his liver, and Mengsk rebuilt Korhal. Oh, and Mar Sara got recolonized after the Protoss purified it.

That's it?

That's really all that happened in the five year period between games?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Five years? I thought it was two!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
So...

How are we expected to feel about all of this? I know how I actually feel, but what do the story-writers want us to feel? I'm a bit too old and crusty to have the correct mindset.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

My best guess is that they want you to be impressed and excited by all the trailer moments, they probably think that structure, plot and themes are the deluded ravings of out of touch academics.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The one part of this update that feels out of place to me is how Kerrigan talks about "doing the impossible" by shattering Mengsk's power as though that's some big accomplishment. Over the course of a single year (2500, covering both SC1 and BW), the Swarm completely swamped the Terran Confederacy, the Protoss homeworld, Korhal itself, then completely wiped out three last-ditch retaliation fleets simultaneously.

Even if we ignore the ~special prophecy~ and Kerrigan's Primal Queen of Blades powers, the Zerg should have been a heavy favorite in any Swarm VS Dominion matchup (even with part of Kerrigan's Swarm gone feral and unavailable?) because we've seen what happens when the Swarm shows up several times and it tends to not go well for the other side.

Asehujiko posted:

I've kind of just forgotten how little content there was in this game, I'd mentally filed it as being the same as the other games in the series
:same:

In my head, Heart was about the same length as Wings (~30 missions), with the Evolution Missions being short fun test drives on top of that 30 missions, but it's actually more like 20 missions and only gets to 30 if you count those Evolution Missions. Also in my headcanon, Legacy of the Void is significantly longer than either game, but that's probably also wrong :shrug:.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

painedforever posted:

So...

How are we expected to feel about all of this? I know how I actually feel, but what do the story-writers want us to feel? I'm a bit too old and crusty to have the correct mindset.

on the edge of your seat to see if Kerrigan can destroy the enemy base this time

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

BlazetheInferno posted:

The part the games don't mention is that what we see at the start of this campaign isn't the first shot Mengsk takes on Kerrigan post-de-infestation. Y'know how Valerian took half the fleet? Well, turns out...

Trying to fix your game plot with out-of-game books is the Day One Patch of literature.

Kith posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean. The Swarm was conveniently quiet, Raynor was been pickling his liver, and Mengsk rebuilt Korhal. Oh, and Mar Sara got recolonized after the Protoss purified it.

That's it?

That's really all that happened in the five year period between games?

Hear me out on this.
If you remember the final mission of Brood War, you will recall that pre-retcons, Mengsk got utterly destroyed. Just completely curbstomped. He had to "call in a few favors, make a few concessions" just to scrape a new army together after Kerrigan last curbstomped him on Korhal. Logically there should have been no coming back from that. His mystique is gone.

He didn't come back from that. This new guy is just some incompetent nerd who's pretending to be him. He's so incompetent in fact that it's public knowledge he's an imposter, he can't hide it. But that's fine, whoever's running the Dominion now is happy to let not-Mengsk pretend to be the famous supervillain because it distracts Kerrigan and Raynor, the only people not in on the gag. They go for this moron and his ridiculous mad science secret lab nonsense while the actual government gets on with rebuilding.

bladededge fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 30, 2024

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm sure multiple people out there are convinced that putting half the plot in EU novels and comics makes them sell like hot cakes despite all the existing evidence that they absolutely do not sell anything like the main games or movie tickets do.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Blizzard's chief EU writer (mainly for Warcraft but I think she did some Starcraft stuff as well), Christie Golden, left the company today, so there's that.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

SIGSEGV posted:

I'm sure multiple people out there are convinced that putting half the plot in EU novels and comics makes them sell like hot cakes despite all the existing evidence that they absolutely do not sell anything like the main games or movie tickets do.

I don't like when they do that, that makes it so the story *assumes* you have read those and if you haven't even heard that they existed then you will be confused.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
At the very least, the Flashpoint novel between WoL and HotS doesn't actually contain any critical information. The gap it bridges isn't a particularly confusing one, and there are no big reveals in the book that the game just assumes you already know. Nothing specific to the book is important, but it's a neat gap-closer that has some events in it that are interesting, but not brought up in the games. Like, Raynor's bartender on the Hyperion turning traitor isn't information that's going to be important to the games, but I still had that twinge of "That bastard! Noooo :(" when I read about it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Like, Raynor's bartender on the Hyperion turning traitor isn't information that's going to be important to the games, but I still had that twinge of "That bastard! Noooo :(" when I read about it.

To be fair, paying someone to keep serving Raynor drinks when his alcoholism is his most crippling weakness is probably the smartest play the Dominion ever made.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

To be fair, paying someone to keep serving Raynor drinks when his alcoholism is his most crippling weakness is probably the smartest play the Dominion ever made.

If only. He was Raynor's Bartender, then he turned Spy for the Dominion, and ended up leaving to actively work against them.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Bonus: Zerg Unit Quotes

General Units

Okay look, it's the loving zerg. All their units do alien screech noises. I'm not going line by line and saying 'this one sounds like a roar, while this one is more of a chirp.' I'll link their videos if you really want to hear them, but this is pretty much going to be for hero units.

Larva

Drone

Overlord

Zergling

Swarm Queen

Roach

Hydralisk

Lurker

Baneling

Infestor

Parasitic Dominated Units

Parasitic Domination changing the targets lines means that every unit in Heart (plus the Corsair and Tauren Space Marine, of all things) show up here.

Granted, they all have the same lines of 'assimilation successful,' 'awaiting directives,' 'your command,' 'for the Swarm,' 'I obey,' and 'service complete.' The one exception is the Tauren Space Marine, who has 'for the Hor-I mean Swarm!'

That's a lot of work put into one ability!

Mutalisk

Brood Lord

Broodling

Viper

Swarm Host

Ultralisk

Brutalisk

Leviathan

I couldn't find a quote video for the Aberration or the Impaler. I guess even the people who record these went :effort: when dealing with Heart.

Hero Units

Sarah Kerrigan (Umoja)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0W7Fsdumso

Produced:
  • I'm still here.
  • I'm back!
  • Let's try that again.
Selected:
  • What is it?
  • This is Kerrigan.
  • Yeah, I hear you.
  • Say again?
  • Ready for action.
  • Safety's off.
Move Order:
  • Pushing ahead.
  • Covering ground.
  • Right.
  • Work to be done.
  • I gotcha!
  • Heading out.
  • Sweeping.
Attack Order:
  • I see 'em.
  • You're not getting away.
  • Time for some payback.
  • Press the attack.
  • In my sights.
  • Gotcha.
  • Bring 'em down!
  • One woman army.
  • Hold still.
  • Target identified.
  • Got one.
Attacked:
  • Hostiles engaging.
  • Under heavy fire here!
Annoyed:
  • I remember so little from before.
  • The Dominion won't get away with this.
  • Still easily amused, I see. (Reference to Kerrigan's SC1 annoyed lines)
  • Keep clicking! I'm reloading.
  • I forgot how tight these suits are!
  • Ugh, you're such a pig! (Reference to her introduction in SC1)
  • I do read minds, you know.
  • You're thinking of the number four. At least, now you are!
  • I'd kill for a working cloaking device. Actually, that's not a bad idea.
On Death:
  • Can't quit...now!
  • It's not over yet!

Sarah Kerrigan (Pre-Zerus)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOjo4Z18UeY

Produced:
  • Did you miss me?
  • Hmm, can't get rid of me that easy!
  • I will not be stopped!
Selected:
  • What is it now?
  • Out with it.
  • Yes?
  • You have my attention.
  • Speak quickly.
  • Who asked you?
  • The Swarm hungers.
Move Order:
  • Push ahead.
  • The Swarm never rests.
  • There's not much time.
  • Let's get this over with.
  • This world is mine.
  • Get going!
  • Nothing stands in my way.
Attack Order:
  • No escape.
  • This one's mine.
  • You'll regret that.
  • Press the attack.
  • Come fight me.
  • This ends now.
  • Just die!
  • Spare no one!
  • Take no prisoners.
Attacked:
  • We have met the enemy in combat.
Annoyed:
  • I will have my vengeance.
  • You didn't think the Swarm was gone forever, did you?
  • Hell hath no fury like a woman swarmed.
  • It's not easy being queen. (Bein' Green)
  • I like you. That's why I'm going to kill you last. (Commando)
  • It's evolution, baby! (Do the Evolution, by Pearl Jam)
  • Be quiet. I'm brooding.
  • *sigh* So many worlds to conquer. So little time.
On Death:
  • This is not the end!
  • I'll see you again!

Sarah Kerrigan (Primal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj2Jwe_QkwM

Produced:
  • We are unending
  • Your efforts are futile.
  • I am beyond death.
  • I return.
Selected:
  • What is it this time?
  • Speak.
  • Yes?
  • Your queen listens.
  • It is time.
  • Retribution will be mine.
  • Mengsk will suffer.
Move Order:
  • I am the Swarm.
  • Our conquest continues.
  • We adapt.
  • Make your peace
  • This world is mine.
  • Boldly.
  • The Swarm conquers all.
  • We are without limit.
  • No time like the present.
Attack Order:
  • Death awaits you.
  • We consume all.
  • You're in my way.
  • Slay them all.
  • You forced my hand.
  • Feel the wrath of the Swarm.
  • No mercy.
  • I sense your fear.
Attacked:
  • Your queen is under attack!
  • The Swarm has met the enemy.
Annoyed:
  • You're trying my patience.
  • The Swarm is the instrument of my will.
  • I have evolved beyond the Queen of Blades
  • I always did look better in purple!
  • Revenge? I'm positively aglow about it!
  • I think I'll wing it from here!
  • You should get to know my primal side! (shriek)
  • Did your heart just skip a beat?
  • You might want to get that checked!
On Death:
  • I will not be defeated!
  • You delay the inevitable!
  • Meaningless...

Niadra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gushWOExsE

Produced:
  • How may I serve?
Selected:
  • Guide my brood!
  • I am Niadra!
  • Our time has come!
  • We yearn for the kill!
  • I hear!
  • My queen?
Move Order:
  • This vessel will burn!
  • The hunt continues!
  • We obey!
  • Without question!
  • As you desire!
  • For the Swarm!
  • Yes, my queen.
Attack Order:
  • Kill the protoss!
  • None survive!
  • Die!
  • I've got you now!
  • There is nowhere to run!
  • I see you!
Attacked:
  • They are attacking me!
  • The protoss seek my death!
Annoyed:
  • It is difficult to follow your commands when you do not give me any!
  • Can I please kill more protoss now?
  • They have so much technology, yet none of it will save them from the Swarm!
  • Why would the protoss gather so many creatures when they have no mouths to eat them with?
  • Spawn a brood and destroy the protoss. Simple to learn, yet difficult to master.
  • This is all so new to me. Does everyone have a voice in their head telling them what to do?
  • Things seemed so easy when I was a larva. Now it's all 'slay the protoss' this and 'evolve your brood' that! Huh, I'll tell you what, I'll never treat my larva this way!

Alexei Stukov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPj70yn3ku4

Produced:
  • These are dark times.
Selected:
  • Speak freely.
  • There is no need for formality
  • I hear you
  • Keep your mind clear
  • You need something?
  • Our victory is assured!
Move Order:
  • Forward!
  • The end is at hand.
  • A sound decision.
  • Yes, I see.
  • Done!
  • Move quickly!
Attack Order:
  • Show me what you're worth.
  • Strike swiftly.
  • There will be no end to your suffering.
  • I will break you
  • Is this all you have.
  • No hesitation.
  • I expect nothing less.
Attacked:
  • We have met the enemy.
  • Reinforcements now!
Annoyed:
  • Ow, my eyes are burning!
  • I bring a whole new meaning to "zerg Russian".
  • Let's recap. I was betrayed and killed, shot into space, captured by the zerg, resurrected and infested, cured, given to Moebius to research the protoss cure, and was instead experimented on as the cure slowly failed. Everyone up to speed? Good.
  • Funny, as a child I loved horror stories. Now I'm in one.
  • Those about to die, I salute you.
  • Some days I miss vodka. Like today for example
  • Being infested isn't all bad. These spiky things are great for scratching your back
  • I fight to win. For me. For me. (Rocky IV)
  • The nuclear wessels are in Alameda. (Star Trek IV)
On Death:
  • Do svidaniya...
  • Not again...

Matt Horner

Kerrigan was on the Hyperion at one point, so I'm calling him an honorary zerg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haMc_eebx9o (Strangely lacks most of the lines, the playlist I usually use didn't have him at all.)

Produced:
  • Hyperion: online and prepped.
  • Systems are go.
Selected:
  • Hyperion Actual.
  • Horner responding.
  • Receiving transmission.
  • Awaiting confirmation.
  • Communications online.
  • Radio check, over.
Move Order:
  • Coordinates locked.
  • Course laid in.
  • Make it so.
  • Nice and easy.
  • Bring her around.
  • Confirmed.
  • Easy thrusters.
  • Keep your eyes open.
Attack Order:
  • All hands to battle stations.
  • Get aggressive, Raiders.
  • Focus all batteries.
  • We’re going hot!
  • Locked in.
  • Let’s show them what this boat can do.
  • It’s nothing personal.
  • Hostiles confirmed and locked.
Attacked:
  • We’re under heavy fire here!
  • Contain that hull breach!
Annoyed:
  • Agh, is this thing working?
  • Swann, I think we lost the comm station.
  • Is anyone there?
  • Mira, is that you?
  • I swear, I’ll never play cards again.
  • Bloody pirates.
  • The Hyperion may not look like much, but she’s got it where it counts. (Star Wars Ep 4)
  • I’d place the odds of successfully navigating this asteroid field at 3720… to 1. (Star Wars Ep 5)
  • Hit that bulls-eye and the dominos will fall like a house of cards, checkmate. (Futurama)
  • Hyperion’s a good ship, wait till you see her after I blow out her exhaust.
On Death:
  • My ship! UGH!

Dehaka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH9qg1_QROs

Produced:
  • I live.
Selected:
  • So much essence.
  • I listen.
  • I will collect.
  • All things change.
  • I will take essence.
  • Change will come.
  • I will change.
Move Order:
  • Forward!
  • Yes.
  • I follow.
  • I go.
  • Watchful.
  • More essence.
  • Essence flows. I follow.
Attack Order:
  • *growl*
  • Strike swiftly.
  • Their essence will be mine!
  • Essence!
  • I take their essence!
  • Kill!
  • Change drives me.
  • I grow.
Attacked:
  • Many enemies.
Annoyed:
  • I do not talk.
  • The terrans' tools. So many tools.
  • I have not evolved a new arm. Why?
  • Your essence looks delicious.
  • All these teeth. I will evolve a tooth brush.
  • *growl* Too much talk! Take essence. Change.
  • I change. I grow. I live a thousand life times. And I look pretty good!

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 1, 2024

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

BisbyWorl posted:

I have not evolved a new arm. Why?

Because you need to reach level 10 first, silly.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

One thing I like in Heroes of the Storm is that Dehaka does grow his arm back when you take his ultimate ability.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Are we adding to the essence count for these lines?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

TeeQueue posted:

Are we adding to the essence count for these lines?

BisbyWorl posted:

Dehaka also has nine different unit lines that mention essence, so I'll count those once each.

Essence count: 112

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I am exactly good at reading as the memes would suggest, it seems. :v:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's okay, all the essences just blend together after long enough.

That's how the Zerg work.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
Okay, due credit, audio director actually had every actor record lines for parasitic domination for every unit instead of just using a voice filter like I thought the game did? A+ effort.

When SC1 came out in 1998 that would have been crazy, filling up precious CD space with that much rarely-called audio.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

bladededge posted:

Okay, due credit, audio director actually had every actor record lines for parasitic domination for every unit instead of just using a voice filter like I thought the game did? A+ effort.

When SC1 came out in 1998 that would have been crazy, filling up precious CD space with that much rarely-called audio.

Doubly so considering they also did all the protoss units, which show up in exactly one mission after you unlock Infestors.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

Doubly so considering they also did all the protoss units, which show up in exactly one mission after you unlock Infestors.

To be fair I assume most of these can come up in skirmish too.

Still did the Scout though.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I'll throw this in here, so you can hear Abathur say "bitches".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMLF8LqLuas

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

SoundwaveAU posted:

I'll throw this in here, so you can hear Abathur say "bitches".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMLF8LqLuas

I'll be honest, Jim x Dehaka would be a far more compelling story than what we got here.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

BisbyWorl posted:

I'll be honest, Jim x Dehaka would be a far more compelling story than what we got here.

Steve Blum is on Cameo. It's not too late to make this happen.

Also wow if I hadn't looked it up I never would have guessed that was Steve Blum.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

BisbyWorl posted:

Possibly even slightly more plausible, too!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jim in Joeyray's Bar, wistfully gazing at a photo of a lopsided zergasaurus

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

bladededge posted:

Steve Blum is on Cameo. It's not too late to make this happen.

Also wow if I hadn't looked it up I never would have guessed that was Steve Blum.

Blum actually has an impressive range. He just gets hired a lot to do that specific voice. Nolan North suffers from similar typecasting.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Steve Blum's best role to date, by far, is the random john in Saints Row 2 who likes horse roleplay

e: his safe word was "bangarang"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mokinokaro posted:

Blum actually has an impressive range. He just gets hired a lot to do that specific voice. Nolan North suffers from similar typecasting.

Also Jennifer Hale. She has exactly two voices that 95% of roles casting her ask her to use one of.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

I love that his range includes both Wolverine and Guilmon.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Also Jennifer Hale. She has exactly two voices that 95% of roles casting her ask her to use one of.

Laura Bailey too.

Jaina Proudmoor, Kira Carsen, and The Boss of the 3rd Street Saints are all the same person.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

Warmachine posted:

Laura Bailey too.

Jaina Proudmoor, Kira Carsen, and The Boss of the 3rd Street Saints are all the same person.

Rise from Persona 4, Lust from Fullmetal Alchemist, and kid Trunks from Dragonball are also all Laura Bailey and are all wildly different. She really isn't typecast at all.

Steve needs to talk to Laura's agent.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bladededge posted:

Rise from Persona 4, Lust from Fullmetal Alchemist, and kid Trunks from Dragonball are also all Laura Bailey and are all wildly different. She really isn't typecast at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iC-yPs1UvU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

bladededge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8_O6Qi5RRQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGoV0fIuDQM
Steve also has range, but people really want spike and wolverine.

He also still does a lot of just weird incidental voice work for side characters and bit parts, even when he's not also voicing a main.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Biggest case I know of "Wait, THAT WAS STEVE BLUM???" is the fact that he did Poromon in Season 2 of Digimon. Y'know, the high-pitched in-training form of Hawkmon. Otherwise, yeah, most of the time his voice is very, very easily recognizable.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

he was an ADR writer for Season 2 of Digimon so whenever there was a bit part that they needed an actor for and couldn't find one he'd do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017