Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Kate Lockwell being the gadfly truth teller who says stuff over and over that would get her fired or worse if she was actually the controlled opposition in the cruel UED, the shoe never drops its just beating subtlety to death with a hammer. This was when my head started pinging "uh-oh" that I was in for a bad time story-wise, although the raynor/kerrigan pining was also a big warning sign: "Sometimes I think it would have been better if you had just died that day" is an absolutely absurd statement given the context of the previous games. Its the sort of thing someone parrots because they've seen it in different media and thought it sounded cool

Incidentally, There's a mod campaign that's the Wings of Liberty Campaign but you play from the other side. It's pretty interesting, but the creator decided to give Raynor a ton of cheats and resources in most of his levels, alongside some other big changes that kind of take away the "counter-op" feel of it. Like I feel that the entire point of the endeavor is pointless if outside of a couple missions you're basically playing something completely different, if it was too easy then thats the point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I will say having a hub and techs/upgrades between missions was a fun idea, that stuff being 'diagetic' for the most part

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

This is one of the better missions in the reversed mod as you can imagine, you play as the protoss waiting for reinforcements

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I do sometimes wonder if my lore is out of date or if people are confusing the Confederacy, the Dominon, and the Directorate when we talk about things. Like ghosts, I think someone said the UED, when they actually meant the Dominion(I think), when it was the Confederacy that started the thing. Of course, the dominions MO was just "The Confederacy but I'm in charge" so it seems like all the policies stayed in place

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 5, 2023

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I wonder why they went away from the over hangy guns from 1. Readability? They don't look terrible but they seem comparatively pretty beefy and generic now

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The zerg probably would watch human broadcasts for intelligence kate!!! The fuckers talk all the time!! I'm being harassed to spawn overlords constantly

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

What they planned to do, and what they would have been able to pull off, well.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

disposablewords posted:

It's running into a stakes and scale issue again, too. It came up earlier on how between games the Terran Dominion in particular and the Koprulu Sector in general seem to have massively inflated in numbers. Everyone acting like there's at least an order of magnitude more settled planets and people than just four years ago. And also, we're now conflating this chunk of the galaxy with not just the entirety of the galaxy but suggestions of it being the entirety of the universe. Things has ramped up from the Zerg being a terrifying but basically local problem that could snowball into something greater to "no it's about literally everything now." The most important thing possible is happening here and it never manages to feel earned to me.

Yeah, it doesn't work since even accounting for the expansion in SC2 the terrans and protoss control a little fleck of space, so the galaxy being on fire is yet another "we saw it in other media and jammed it into our own" blizzardism

edit: Also the Dark Voice going "Protoss....welcome, to die!" over and over doesn't help either

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 20, 2023

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

WoL's campaign was fine, but I didn't find any mission particularly fun, that coupled with the dumpster fire story and all my friends burning out on the plate-spinning micro sinks in multiplayer, also the miserable custom game experience, meant that's where the sc2 journey ended. The coop mode was way too limited and way too late. One of these days it'll go on deep enough sale to scoop up the rest of the missions, maybe

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

"If you and your spectres are as bloodthirsty as it sounds, you're as much of a threat as he ever was. I'll be seeing you real soon" lmao. Can't come up with a plausible justification so just stampede past it as quickly as possible

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

This is why I think every RTS game needs a Stronghold "Crusader Trail" or Northgards "Conquest" mode. Series of themed skirmish matches of increasing difficulty, stuff like 2v2v2's, you with multiple weak allies, FFA but you're in the middle, standard 1v1 but the other guy has more resources, etc etc. In Northgard it's also coop-able and you've got upgrades that carry over to the next levels.

Both because it's a ton of fun and it also covers the "train for multiplayer" niche (if you think that's important) since singleplayer campaign ai's are usually pretty significantly different from skirmish ais. Pretty much every RTS I think of if you go straight from story mode to online you'll get completely tactically outplayed on every level, if you don't at least try some comp stomps first, though. So I don't know if it's truly a problem worth trying to solve (or even if its a problem; we generally don't consider COD single as training for multi for example)

edit: basically if SC2 had a mode where I was collecting upgrades and units like in the campaign, and then picking between a selection of generated skirmish maps with occasional weird bits and mutators thrown in I'd probably still be playing it to this day. (I know the coop mode they added is somewhat like this but among other differences coop is mandatory in that)

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 28, 2023

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's the team rocket thing. Your plan almost worked before the protagonist showed up, just try it again when they've left !!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I was never a super big fan of coop since it plays like coop singleplayer missions instead of skirmish mode comp stomps, that said its solid fun with a buddy

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

But you can just do skirmish mode comp stomps with a friend? Hell, you can even run them with the co-op commanders.

Yeah, but you don't get the progression skinnerbox that way and you're with the orthodox races, although I did not know you could do commanders with them so I am looking into that now

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Ra3 ruled, one of the few games I replay every year or so

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I've always been torn on the SC2 music, on the one hand in general I've never been a fan of "taking old game music but we used real instruments this time" as I don't think it really works, but drat I appreciate a good fiddle

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I never played HOTS, that whole first mission had me thinking "actually, maybe kerrigan is just a piece of poo poo?" so very cathartic to read that

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Lasarra: RARG PROTOSS DESERVE TO BE TREATED LIKE SENTIENTS NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO MURDER THOUSANDS HURRRR

Kerrigan: I just want to murder all the colonists and take over this world, but, hey, that's your opinion and I'm fine with that. Looks like you've got some growing up to do.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Zergus Primus and his followers The Prime, who have been corrupted by Prime Magic, currently occupy the Primal Bastion where he and his three lieutenants can be cleared in a brisk two hours by a well-geared party

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

*krusty voice* "Kerrigans dead!"

(if only)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I liked mengsk more than kerrigan