Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Man, I love StarCraft 2, the whole trilogy is great. Yeah, it stumbles in many places story-wise, but like Sanguinia I tend to look at it more positively then most. StarCraft 1 was a huge part of my gaming teens, I remember LAN parties, custom map creation, making silly gaming clans with people at my school... Good times. By the time SC2 finally came out, life and things were different, but I still loved it overall.

Excited to follow this LP!

By the way, I think you've left a dangling italics tag somewhere in the first post, BisbyWorl. It looks a bit broken with everything italicized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

Duran joins the UED first, and joins Kerrigan second.

He's not ACTUALLY infested - given his shapeshifter powers, he can appear to be whatever he wants to be. He can seem completely clean to the UED and learn stuff about them, and then seem completely infested to Kerrigan, and have all kinds of useful information to share with Kerrigan to make her trust him as an ally.

Then he disappears and Kerrigan is like "where the gently caress did Duran go?" She did specifically mention that he was gone and she didn't know.

Rythian fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 30, 2024

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

he joins Kerrigan first - he coordinates with the zerg to foul up the attack on Aiur and lets them into the Psi-Disruptor after assassinating Stukov. Stukov says Duran is "infested"

of course, we know what infested terrans look like and they don't look like Duran - they have a zerg worm in their head controlling their every move. Duran looks like Kerrigan, and Kerrigan isn't infested. she's a zerg-terran hybrid produced with great effort by the Overmind itself. apparently, Duran was too, along with all his hybridised terran friends laughing just off-screen. Kerrigan has zero curiousity about any of this

it's bad writing. I don't know* why we're being so charitable about this

*I do know

Sure, he's sabotaging the UED from the very beginning, but he's definitely working his own plans and not just working for Kerrigan the entire time. I sincerely doubt they had the whole Amon-wizard thing planned back in Brood War, but as evident in the secret mission, he's clearly more than "just" an infested Terran, and had the ability to fake being a clean normal human, and fake being an infested Terran.

Which by the way, infested Terran probably comes in all shapes and sizes. I don't think it's quite so easy to say "we know what they look like". We've seen Dr Ariel Hanson in Wings of Liberty, for one, and I bet there's been infested characters in novels/comics and the like that don't all look and act exactly the same way. Whatever deal went down between Brood War Kerrigan and Brood War Duran, we don't know. By the time we play from her POV, they're already allied and working together - who knows how Duran introduced himself.

All that said: Of course HotS's writing is lacking. All subtlety has gone out the window. I just think we don't need to poo poo on everything just because it's not obviously stated exactly how it happened. Is "he was a shapeshifter wizard" a lazy explanation for how Duran worked? Sure. But it does work, and makes sense.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

One ex-dev mentioned it in a throwaway line without any details. Don't think that quite counts as "they admitted".

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

MagusofStars posted:

Pretty sure that's Nynaeve from the Wheel of Time, whose signature move for the first few books (and maybe the show? fell behind on the 2nd season) is tugging on her hair as a sign of anger.

Yeah. It was the thread tag for the Wheel of Time TV show around the time of season 1. I kind of tapped out of the show pretty early on, but the tag is still there from my excitement pre release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

DeepThrobble posted:

The youtube short doesn't give much detail, as one would expect from a clip that's under a minute long, but he detailed a lot more in the starcraft subreddit.
Oh drat I never saw this. Thanks! I do find this reply being the best way to look at this though: https://old.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/17ra8i3/its_ogre/k8r7igf/

quote:

Hey, thanks for the reply! I double checked your numbers and found the following:

1) Mounts are account-wide so we need to look at accounts instead of characters. Dataforazeroth has 1M accounts so it's 400k * 25 = 10M USD

2) I would argue the 1M people who upload their data to Dataforazeroth or Wowhead are not representative of the average player, but are the hardcore share of the audience. There is simply no way 40% of players have purchased a particular mount from the shop just like there is no way 20% of the players have the rare Invincible mount from Arthas (as those websites show). During WOTLK when the mount was released I played daily and I cant recall even seeing the mount once in game

I think your broader point still stands: Obviously if you make tens of millions of dollars from a skin that 1 designer can create in a week, thats an insane business compared to making a whole game like SC2

Rythian fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 14, 2024