Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You also have to stop playing before the epilogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Szarrukin posted:

UNN News Reports running gag had one interesting moment with Donny having a BSOD and muttering "I had a brother there" while realizing what Mengsk has done to Tarsonis but it immediately got killed by "mental breakdown is le funny" joke.

For the same reason I hated JJJ running gag in Spiderman: Miles Morales; there are only so many way you can have "bumbling rear end in a top hat who obviously isn't meant to be taken serious talks bullshit about main character" joke without boring people to death.

JJJ as an unhinged podcast host never stopped being funny.

edit: I only played the Peter Parker one so far though, so I guess it's possible he stopped being funny in Miles but I doubt it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BisbyWorl posted:

Wings is the worst of the trilogy in that regard, I find.

Some missions are just so blatantly designed around the unit of the day that they end up utterly useless the second they're not in their debut mission.

ah yes, diamondbacks

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Boo, you didn't deal with the Brutalisk the fun way.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Each game has one character worthy of being a favourite, and none of them are the main protagonists. Tychus, Abathur, and Alarak.

Thankfully all of them are playable (and very fun) in Heroes of the Storm.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You probably could have gotten the same effect by saying "the overmind somehow discovered a galaxy ending evil and made preparations to fight it because he lives in the universe too and would like to continue existing that he may continue devouring everything and becoming perfect". It'd still be a lame "greater evil" deal, but it wouldn't poo poo on all the characters' motivations from the previous game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I wanna do the one genuinely cool mission from the orb.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

clan towa are heroes and legends all

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That conversation between Matt, Horner and Tosh was actually a decent bit of writing, shame everything involving the metaplot of the three games.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nuke the trains.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tychus' line reads in all of this mission are all great.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Warmachine posted:

I'm also voting Secret Mission because delaying Haven is a meme and it'll get us the last bit of research we need for Tech Reactors.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't care about our planes but I refuse to let you go to Haven so anti ground.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Vikings can't be that important if they become available so late in the game

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kith posted:

Then Valerian bagged Jim Raynor, notorious outlaw, decapitating the rebellious Raynor's Raiders.

Valerian is an extremely political animal and one of the few good characters that Starcraft 2 has produced.

the only good characters that sc2 produced are either tychus or they have names that start with a

valerian's okay I guess

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

yeerks aren't worms, they're slugs

learn ur lore

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean, kinda jumping the gun there when all that is going to be in the next intermission update.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FoolyCharged posted:

And even at their peak of it, the ongoing warcraft 3 lp is a pretty good showing that it wasn't nearly as high of a peak as my rose colored glasses remembered.

Nah, Cythereal just really hates the franchise.

Warcraft III isn't amazingly written or anything, but it's solid.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

JackSplater posted:

A gauss rifle theoretically shouldn't have any casings at all, but apparently at some point they canonically made the terran gauss rifles 'gauss-assisted'. Which seems kinda dumb.

spent casings hitting the ground are cool

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cythereal posted:

I will always have a soft spot for Shatter the Sky because it's by far the best mission to just sit back, take it slow, and build an unstoppable death fleet of battlecruisers, which I quite enjoy with the special fiery death animations that zerg and some terran units have.

I also just really enjoy the animation of the laser batteries raining down from various parts of the Cruisers.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Matt keeps directing the marines in groups of twelve

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

As much as how SC2 handles Kerrigan loving sucks, the adjutant's announcement the first time she spawns in is intimidating as loving hell the first time you play.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I actually like how this mission sells the idea of the Zerg as at threat. Valerian gives Kerrigan access to a few drones and a mineral pile and she is able to turn that into an army that completely overruns the lab level.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kith posted:

if you try to pet a zergling you will in fact die, yes

worth

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

megane posted:

Kaldir is probably the tactically-correct choice, but my vote’s for doing Char first to meet my favorite HotS character.

e: Take a drink every time the Zerg try to do something cool and Kerrigan just ignores them in favor of whining about her stupid human problems.

Best boy only gets introduced if we go to Charr? Then let's go to Charr.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hell yeah Abathur is the best. Steve Blum at his Blumiest.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah that's what I assumed, even as the Queen of Blade Kerrigan had enough human left in her to prefer having a face to talk to, a human-looking face for her "adjutant".

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You forgot to mention in your writeup that swarmlings are good for baneling heavy playstyles.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

it's a good dog, played it a bunch in heroes of the storm

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Xarn posted:

At least it will be interesting how Kerrigan has to deal with the swarm, now that she isn't part of the zerg hivemind created by the big bad.

ha ha ha you think anything about how she interacts with other zerg will change

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

there's a reason every side character from hots (except izsha) made it into hots

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

i considered clarifying the acronyms but decided against it

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

That Zergling is unexplanatorily Finnish and named Ahti

if I could have a zergling sing yöton yö for me in the leviathan I would consider heart of the swarm to be good

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Brood Lords are also just plain cool

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I figured it was more a "this is his real spooky villain voice, instead of his fake human voice" situation.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BlazetheInferno posted:

I continue to be in love with the Marine's commentary in the Field Manual.

"Go to hell. We still carry bayonets." got an out-loud laugh from me.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Xarn posted:

Tosh's mission in WoL is waaaay better.

It doesn't have Mira Han though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

One thing I like in Heroes of the Storm is that Dehaka does grow his arm back when you take his ultimate ability.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Those Earthsplitters seem pretty rad, it's like someone took the tier 3 artillery weapons from Supreme Commander and put them in Starcraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arcanuse posted:

If only there was some other, not-kerrigan zerg to be in charge of em here. If only.

It would have been so easy to make it one of her broodmothers or something on enough of a leash where they won't attack the protoss but unwilling to actually wait for them.