Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Love the gameplay in this, even if the writing is lacking. It's just a fun campaign, even on Brutal (though I've no idea how I ever beat the last mission, what a difficulty spike). Enjoying the LP so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
That mysterious disappearing geyser is there on lower difficulties, it gets taken away on Hard and Brutal. That's a common theme with these missions, where you get fewer resources on higher difficulties (this map on Brutal also removes one of the mineral patches from your base).

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Really the thing that makes Firebats unplayable is the time it takes them at actually start attacking. This is easily seen when you send a Firebat and a bunch of Marines at a pack of Zerglings. By the time the Firebat has chosen its target and gotten ready to attack, the Marines have already killed the ling. So the Firebat chooses a new target, resets its animation, and gets ready to attack, and then that ling is dead.

It's pretty common to see a Firebat just waving its arms around and maybe getting off one or two attacks before the fight ends.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Koorisch posted:

I'm guessing they're *far* more useful in a Bunker than actually running around on the field?

At least against Zerg.

I guess? Their range is pretty short, so you'd probably have to invest in the armory upgrade, but then you're spending credits on Firebats which could go to actually useful units.

Also, there's a much better unit to stick in Bunkers if you want something that shreds through light ground units, which should be coming up soon (Reapers). There's a mission later on where you have to defend your base against huge waves of infested units (the one which introduces Hellions) and Bunkers filled with those things completely trivializes the level.

Oh hey, update! Voting Redstone; in addition to what I just said, it introduces us to Tosh, who might be my favorite character in Wings of Liberty.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Anyone who bumps up their difficulty to Brutal for this level is in for a surprise, as while the lava still rises every few minutes, the game no longer shows the timer! Hope you're good at getting everything to high ground quickly!

Zerg harassment on your bases can be a bit annoying to deal with, but they're actually pretty manageable once you're familiar with the level. All the Zerg units funnel through a single passage in the middle of the map, so if you keep some defenses parked there, your bases will never get attacked.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

It's relatively easy to stop the Protoss from sealing any altars here. The time it takes them to seal one is very generous, and it's just being done by a single probe, so even a few units can focus-fire it down before the defenders can stop you.

(The Nightmare mode mod stops this cheese, forcing you to kill all a probe's defenders before you can take it out.)

And yeah, you generally don't want to stick around much longer than needed, though I'll generally take the expansion in the center for the extra income. My usual plan of attack is to build up a reasonably large force, then take all four of the altars on the west at once, defending at the choke just to the north. Once they're done and the bonuses claimed, grab the nearest altars to the expansion to finish it off.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Perhaps, but his mission is much more fun than Nova's, imo.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

I voted Diamondbacks, but don't have a strong preference. The Siege Tank mission is pretty funny once you have Ghosts/Spectres to cheese with permanent invisibility against an enemy with no detection.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

This mission isn't hard, but the constant attacks on your base can get annoying. You'll send out your troops to attack a base on one side, only to get hit by an attack from the other, all while dealing with harassment by the hybrid.

I'm terrible with spellcasters and never build any more High Templar, but the energy drain ability on the one you're given can be very useful, if you can keep him alive (the AI loves to focus it down).

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Voting Breakout, it's just fun.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Torrannor posted:

That's why we need the next update, because so far, the Protoss missions haven't been too bad so far. But boy do we have things to discuss after the next mission.

Though I will be honest, I've always had a soft spot for the fourth mission, which is imho really cool the first time you play it, and remains pretty cool even on second playthroughs.

Really, the last Protoss mission has always been the most tedious for me. Once you learn how to cheese it, it just becomes a waiting game.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Xarn posted:

It is wasting my time because for significant part of the mission, I am supply capped and there is no real threat. There is unironically 10ish minutes of the mission where there is nothing to do, except wait for unit unlocks.

(might not actually be true on Brutal)

Nah it's basically true on Brutal too. Keep an eye out for Overseers and nothing will get past your walls of Dark Templar. Then all you need to do is snipe Brood Lords and keep building Photon Cannons.

Once you've met the objective, the fastest way to win is to pull all your units into your main base and destroy all your structures, then have your units attack each other. It's pretty silly.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Kith posted:

Fun Fact: The Killteam Marauders in this mission use a special texture for no apparent reason! There's also a Medic version, but I can never remember if it gets used or not.

Medics are there on Brutal (along with an entire second kill team of Marauders).

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

I don't think it got brought up yet, but the nuke that Orlan drops on your troops? There's a cloaked Ghost in his base calling it down.

It's usually irrelevant since it's an earlier mission and you probably don't have detection yet, and it's easy enough to pull your forces back. But if you really want, you can push in and kill the Ghost before the nuke drops, cancelling the strike.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

The beginning no-build section of this mission is surprisingly challenging on Brutal - the extra damage from the enemies means Tychus can end up pretty close to death.

As for the rest of the mission, it's basically the same - I think the enemy bases have more detectors (Missile Turrets and Ravens) so they're harder to clear out with cloaked units before the Odin gets there. I don't know, I typically wait to do this one until unlocking Banshees, so I have access to both anti-air and anti-ground ships.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

BisbyWorl posted:

Winner: Depends on one very important factor we'll be seeing later.

Honestly, the way this effects your choice of upgrades and unlocks throughout the campaign is my biggest problem with the way it's designed. It makes me appreciate how the later campaigns give you much more flexibility.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Both have their value, for sure. I appreciate the value of a passive AOE slow; install a few of those around your base and you'll be pretty secure from most threats. But once you've built a bunch of Hive Mind Emulators, hotkeyed them into a control group, and grabbed an entire wing of Mutas... It's so hard to go back.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

This mission is the one reason why you might consider taking the "mechanical units repair themselves over time" perk rather than the increased energy one. Even with a good amount of Science Vessels, it takes a while for them to repair your BCs after each generator. That said, this mission isn't particularly difficult, just long and tedious.

Also, those DTs do take up supply, so if you really care about maximizing your army, it's best to wait until you've hit 200 from your BCs before destroying the last prison or two.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

While we're on the topic of challenge runs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iFxEvnqQGk

It's possible to complete the campaign on Brutal without training/hiring any new units at all.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

This mission is insane on Brutal. Like, the rest of the campaign is manageable, there isn't a huge challenge if you know what you're doing. But for some reason the last mission has a huge difficulty spike compared to the ones right before it.

At least the HME cheese still works!

Also, that last cutscene where you see the nova from the artifact wiping out the enemy bases plays in-engine. Meaning, if you've decided to go out and wipe out their bases for whatever reason, that cutscene shows the shockwave passing over nothing but empty terrain.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

I am 99% sure it only shows in Brutal.

Nah, I replayed All In on Hard today, and the dialogue played just fine. Fought off Kerrigan with the usual huge mass of Mutalisks in the last minute or so, and the lines played right afterwards.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

I never understood why Kerrigan couldn't just fly the dropship across the broken bridge and pick Raynor up.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Hey, finally caught up on this thread! Awesome job so far, really enjoying it.

This mission isn't too different on Brutal iirc, though the Terran bases are much better fortified, making it much tougher to clear out the one near the start. I've tried kiting the Hybrid into the Terran bases to get them to fight each other, though it's usually more trouble than it's worth.

Also happy to hop on the co-op train, it's by far the best part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

The enemy AI seems to know how strong Infestors are, as they try to kill the ones I build pretty quickly.

The fact that I usually A-move my entire army has nothing to do with it, I'm sure.