Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Raynor got Big Mad that Mengsk intentionally threw Kerrigan into the middle of a Zerg Hive just to leave her there after she'd completed her objective, but that was more a "don't leave a fellow soldier behind / don't be a massive dick" kind of a thing. Then he went rogue because who knows who would be sacrificed for the cause next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Maybe it's what the giant codpiece is for. Remember people getting locked in cages because of Internet of Things?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Phelddagrif posted:

That mysterious disappearing geyser is there on lower difficulties, it gets taken away on Hard and Brutal. That's a common theme with these missions, where you get fewer resources on higher difficulties (this map on Brutal also removes one of the mineral patches from your base).

This makes me wonder if any super-nerd has ever studied the intro sequences to determine a "canon" difficulty. Or maybe even different canon difficulties per mission.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Nah Blizzard's liked giant shoulders for a while. Just look at World of Warcraft.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Slaan posted:

Yep, and each zerg form is actually a separate species that the zerg took over entirely at some point in their expansion. So they took over a planet and adapted the 'best' lifeform for the hive, consuming the rest.

Which makes the fact that their first instinct was to turn humans into bombs a bit of an insult to our usefulness.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

UED is United Earth Directorate. Only seen in the games when a detachment came in Brood War to "set things straight".

E: nvm, misread your point

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 5, 2023

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I gotta admit, I would eat up a scene where Raynor delivers the killshot while saying "Goodbye, Sarah." in a healing sort of way.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I don't doubt Tosh is a bad guy, but he's our bad guy. :colbert:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Koorisch posted:

The Spectre/Ghost debate I can't say much about although It's really stupid for Raynor to just go "oh ok, sure I'll do that" to Nova's request when you remember that Ghosts are all mentally indoctrinated by the ones that use them, be they the Confederates or the Dominion to be as loyal as possible.

You'd think he'd remember that, given how important it was to the thing he refuses to stop obsessing over.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

BisbyWorl posted:

Field Manual Artwork

Wow they didn't even care enough about Goliaths to scrawl something funny on their page. Plus now they just look like something out of Battletech, which while not really a bad thing, is entirely too grounded for Starcraft.

E: Goliaths were always something that I desperately wanted to like, but swarms of Marines were just too good (and delightfully splattery). They ended up being basically a resource dump if everything else was operating at capacity. (I was not a multiplayer person.)

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 18, 2023

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Sounds to me like an Archer and a Rifleman had a drunken one-night stand and this popped out.

So a Jagermech, basically.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Guess they're still mad about not being able to cash in on the DotA train.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I kinda figured the Xel'Naga became the cerebrates, because they're corpulent, bickering endlessly, and constantly doing dumb things.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Omobono posted:

The cerebrates were competent though.

Eh. A couple of them maybe. Certainly the one you played as was. But I also remember the absolute idiocy of one cerebrate that tried to rebel; arguably just so you could have a zerg v. zerg fight, but still. Plus given their size, I imagine each cerebrate is like a hundred Xel'Naga mashed into one to increase their brainpower, and even that doesn't stop them from being petty assholes all the time, even when it works directly against their own goals.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

It has been a good while since I've played. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Still, fat slugs that constantly bitch about things seems on point for coming from the Xel'Naga, especially if they secretly remember what they used to be.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

For a second I was hoping the Great Hungerer would be some fresh new Xel'Naga abomination (something like an ultralisk the size of a colony ship that eats entire cities), but then Zeratul said "could that be the Overmind?" and it felt so out of left field I knew he had to be reading the script.

I bet $0 the Fallen One is either Kerrigan, Zeratul, or Jimmy. (Boy they love people sucking more than they did before, don't they? Wonder if there's a company culture issue at play...)

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

stryth posted:

Is that a skirmish only thing? cause at least in the campaign it's impossible.

I think that's the joke.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Fuckin' AAA just does not get context sometimes. A corruption arc works once in Warcraft 3, because the orcs as they had been written up to then were generic bad guys, and then they gave them a proper culture that had been "suppressed" or whatever. So clearly the corruption and redemption thing is what sold it, and not... just fleshing out a group to make them more interesting. And for some reason they can't loving stop until they figure out why it's not working anymore.

The zerg were not boring. The zerg were fascinating. So to throw all that in the garbage and pretend they were simple pawns doesn't make the new puppetmaster more interesting, it makes people realize that you don't know what is interesting, to a borderline psychotic degree.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

loving hell, so it's going to be the end of Reign of Chaos all over again, but indefinite?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

JohnKilltrane posted:

So my theory about the crime against humanity that is the "twist" revealed at the end of the mission is that it was salvaged from Warcraft. Take what is said but replace "Overmind" with "Lich King," "Kerrigan" with "Arthas," and "mysterious darkness imposing its power on the Overmind" with "Demons" or "Dreadlords" and you get something that actually makes sense based on the trajectory of Warcraft 3. So I'm guessing it was meant to be the big twist of Warcraft 4 but then WoW happened and it became unfeasible but they just really liked the idea of "What if the evil monster was the only hope for salvation" so they tried to just import it wholesale into StarCraft and man does it not work at all.

The problem with that idea is that they'd already put that in WoW. IIRC, the final raid of Wrath of the Lich King (which came out in 2008, while Wings of Liberty released in 2010) had you kill Arthas, only for everyone to realize that the Scourge would now run amok, causing untold devastation, so someone else puts on the helmet to become the next Lich King and attempt to withstand the (say it with me) Corruption! to try to keep all the undead on a leash. It is admittedly subtly different in that you can't just make another Kerrigan immediately so you have to not kill her in the first place, but it still smacks of being obsessed with an idea and using it over and over again, rather than "oooh, we couldn't use this idea so we'll stuff it somewhere else."

E: To say nothing about "well yeah we suck, but any other option would be way worse you guys, trust me" being something of a rallying cry for people who are so terrible even they know they're shitbirds, which considering all the stuff that came out of Acti-Blizz seems like a rather appropriate idea to be floating around there, and perhaps even mandated to be included in stories to get people used to the idea.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 13, 2023

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

People been walling since Warcraft 1, not sure why they'd have a problem with it now.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I've been voting train for the past three and I see no reason to stop now.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Honestly, even putting aside the nothing I know about both characters, this exchange is very telling. Tosh is being his usual chill self, while Nova is on a vicious assault of character assassination. There's so much of Nova going "he wants this thing and it's bad for no reason I'll bother explaining", while Tosh doesn't bother to deny any of the 'charges' and just goes "yeah, and?" I also gotta respect someone who says "This is your choice. I can't make it for you." a lot more than I do someone who leads with "ugh you're such a loving idiot doing literally anything but what I say."

Then we get into the factual issues. Every single Spectre went on a killing spree? More likely they disobeyed orders - Mengsk's orders - and the ones that didn't manage to put a dent in the Dominion forces sent to take them in, just have it as a charge to excuse them being locked up and probably experimented on to see "what went wrong" (read: why they weren't blindly loyal to a psychotic degree like Nova over here).

Also, why in the ever-loving gently caress does Nova need us to help destroy the Spectre training center? The Dominion could raze it at a goddamn whim; unless I'm missing something, they built the flippin' place.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

I really disagree with this but I've played too much dota in my life.

Closest I've ever come to DotA is the third chapter of the "orc campaign" in Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne. Always rather enjoyed that kind of vs. AI supposed-to-win version of DotA. Did you know it is in fact possible to lose it by doing nothing? It takes an ungodly amount of time, but it can happen. (E: And naturally you can accelerate it by moving the heroes away from the friendly towns, but what's the fun in that.)

If Tosh's mission is anything like that one, I think I'd like it too.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I'm not sure if it was WoW Cataclysm, or the previews of Wings of Liberty that soured me first. Then it just kept getting worse.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

inflatablefish posted:

Guys I think it's immensely disrespectful to the source material for us to not go Full Horny Dumbass.

I will gladly disrespect SC2's plot all day long.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Redeye Flight posted:

It kind of makes me sad, honestly -- I swore off ever touching a Blizz game again years back, even the ones I owned already, and the thread really makes me just want to replay WoL again. Every now and then I get the itch because, to be honest, it's a fun jaunt gameplay-wise. The writing's also much more enjoyable, as observed, when you don't have SC1 lurking around your head to think about it -- I'd played all of SC1, but long ago when I finally tried WoL, and never in close enough conjunction to make me fully realize how much the two clash.

They already have that money, and that's their bottom line. Frankly the holy grail for corps would be for consumers to pay them and not have to give them anything in return. Absolutely don't give them another cent, but refusing to play games you already have is only depriving yourself for some abstract high ground. Meanwhile playing it might put load on their servers or something and cost them some maintenance money down the line. Personally I'd rather needle them in the wallet (however slightly) and be entertained doing it.

Apparently SC1 and Brood War are free now too, so I don't have to dig out my discs to remember the good times, and can freeload WoL, which I never got around to and forgot it was a thing (singleplayer only - I ain't giving any amount of life to their MP, whether it needs it or not).

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Redeye Flight posted:

Incidentally, I REALLY want us to finally do the Train Robbery mission before proceeding elsewhere, because I'm itching to get to some of the unlocks in that mission chain -- in particular so I can viciously complain about one of them.

Also Horner's been waiting entirely too long, and I really want to see what the deal is with the Diamondback.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Nah, doing Haven as late as possible is most funny. It also keeps the doc around to talk about other missions.

Still aboard the train train. Wanna see those diamondbacks and how much less revolutionary firing while moving is than they thought it'd be.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

bladededge posted:

(I'm not sure what her goals are. Does the zerg faction have any right now?)

I know it's been quite a while since we've done a "main" mission (Tychus's line), but they were really rubbing their chins over Kerrigan seeming to be going after the artifacts too, and now Moebius HQ is under attack by Kerrigan. So presumably she wants the macguffin pieces we've been collecting because question mark? I guess we'd have to go save Tychus's golden goose to learn more.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Probably just repeating things other people have said mashed together, but the way I see it there's two good options, both rarely taken.

A) Have time pressure in both narrative and gameplay, and build the game around it so that it's fair. Tell the player the rules of the pressure, and so on. Often this is achieved in strategy games by having an opposing faction that acts on the overworld as you act; you do a mission, they do something too. In that way the player chooses carefully what they want to do first so as to keep a step ahead.
B) Just don't have time pressure, or have minimal time pressure. Too many games try to include it to make things seem high-stakes, but given the explosion of "cozy" games lately, that's clearly not necessary. Just let us have fun without pretending that there's a cataclysm happening somewhere offscreen.

People brought up Skyrim, and Oblivion is very guilty of this poo poo too (oh no, it's a full scale invasion that is content to just sit around convenient choke points for you to shut down! :supaburn:), but consider Morrowind. The bad guy's plans are still in a sort of infiltration stage, moving slowly to build up power before striking, and you can thwart them at that stage before it becomes an actual war. Still plenty of intrigue and conflict, but you can be the one on the offense, and you can choose what speed that offense takes. A far better game in my opinion than those that followed it, mechanical advances notwithstanding.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

This seems like a really fun, gradually evolving mission that outright refuses to address what I thought Diamondbacks were for, given the way the unit is described: getting up in the grill of emplaced siege tanks and kicking their teeth in while they can't fire at the too-close enemy, and defending themselves with firing on the move on the way there. They even throw in siege tanks as guard for the trains, but they never have any time or good placement to set up!

Is this actually a viable strategy? Because the game sure doesn't seem to care. I'm so confused.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Personally I kinda prefer the old 'cover' mechanics (we're talking about high ground, right?) to the new ones. Being able to fight back, if poorly, I feel is better than "can't fight back at all unless something provides high vision, then you're fine". It feels very weird to have pulsing vision/no-vision when the dude in front gets killed and then everyone has to edge up, then the next dude gets killed and everyone edges up, etc. Eminently solvable on the player side, but after you notice it on your side, you start noticing it on the enemy side and the jerky movement is just really weird-looking.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Hubby Horner is just too funny an idea not to vote for.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

Honestly, the most disappointing thing about the rattler is that there's nothing snake like about it at all. Real world vehicles have the same problem. All these cool animal names and then nobody embraces the branding.

Now I really want to see someone properly stylize a Thundercougarfalconbird. A chimeric-looking car would be extremely cool to see....once.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

BlazetheInferno posted:

I feel like some Ability Tooltips just exist so you can have a mouseover label explaining something about the unit that might not feel standard.

"Yes it's supposed to do this, stop flooding our bug report forum."

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I finally bothered trying Lost Viking. Holy crap is your hitbox ridiculous. Kept dying to things that wouldn't have even been close enough for a graze in a bullet hell, and at least twice the larger explosion graphic of a projectile that supposedly killed me by touch, very visibly did not even reach the ship graphic. I can see why people say they have problems with it; not being able to see your actual hitbox is a whole extra dimension of difficulty.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I hope I interpreted that vote correctly, I want to keep going with Matt.

:same: I also want to see if they hosed up my beautiful wraiths.

BisbyWorl posted:

This is word-for-word from the end of Terran 08: The Big Push...

I literally replayed that mission last night and can confirm.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

"Hey we'll toss you a twenty if you read this one line into a mic" does seem like a simpler path, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Regardless of whether it would be permissible as evidence or not, it's still damning in the court of public opinion. Even in actual criminal courts, saying something you know will be objected to and then withdrawing the statement is a legal tactic used to worm an idea into the jury's brain. Instruct people to ignore the statement as much as you want, even find the lawyer in contempt if the judge is upset enough about the brazen move, but the damage is done. People are especially eager to believe things that align with their pre-existing views, and I can't imagine Mengsk's diehard supporters are nearly as numerous as those who already have even an inkling about the type of man he is.