Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
These days mech is a viable TvT composition, but yeah marine/tank/viking is the standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

For basically as long as I've been watching SC2 it's been meta to make the 3rd or 4th base into a PF.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

They have a skill that launches a slow moving, giant aoe bomb that homes in on its target. It's basically a micro or die skill ala nukes, where you have to pull out the targeted victim to save the unit blob.

It can deploy temporary turrets for way too much energy for what you get.

It's third skill is a little drone that shoots down enemy missile attacks for a bit that is kind of useful, but I never remember it's there.

In multi right now, I'm pretty sure it's almost a completely different unit at this point.

The current Raven still has auto-turrets but everything else is different. It has Interference Matrix, which prevents a unit from attacking or using abilities for 11 seconds; and it has anti-armor missile, which applies -2 armor to units in a fairly large AoE.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I will say that the Vulture isn't as useful in SC1 campaign as it is in multiplayer just because the AI doesn't respect economy the same way players do so harassment isn't important

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Weed Wolf posted:

silly question, but can vultures queue up laying down multiple spider mines at a time?

In this game? Yes. In SC1? Hahaha gently caress no

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

My memory is hazy but I think the only reference to "billions" in the original Starcraft was in the Brood War Terran campaign ending cutscene, which was a UED propaganda vid listing Zerg casualties in the billions. I could totally buy that, lotta zerglings to mow down.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Landed Vikings actually see a fair bit of use in multiplayer, either as a harassment tool or as extra ground firepower if there are no air targets remaining for them to shoot at. IIRC they were given a bonus against mechanical in ground mode so this sees most use versus Protoss (Stalkers, Probes).

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Colossi are special, they can be hit by anti-air despite technically being ground units. The play would be to use the Vikings in air mode to snipe the Colossi, then swap them to ground mode to clean up the Stalkers and other supporting units.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Kinda hinted at it earlier but in contrast to their lackluster utility in campaign, Vikings are used in pretty much every matchup in competitive multiplayer.

TvT: The standard composition here is Marine/Medivac/Siege Tank/Viking. Vikings uncontested would shoot down all the opposing player's Medivacs pretty quickly so this ends up with Vikings acting as area denial and dueling each other for air superiority. They also act as spotters for Siege Tanks, since Tanks can shoot further than they can see, as well as giving high ground vision.

TvP: Protoss has a lot of strong air options and Vikings are used against all of them. In addition, as mentioned before Vikings are the usual counter to Colossi.

TvZ: Vikings aren't seen quite as much in this matchup. They can be used as area denial against Mutas, but more often you'll see them come out as a tool to fight Brood Lords in late game. You can also use them to harass and snipe Overlords.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 7, 2023

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Felinoid posted:

Wait, is that actually the meta for SC1? Man, I thought I was just bad at zerg. :v:

It is in ZvZ and ZvT. ZvP usually involves a lot of hydras. You'll see folks go hydra/lurker/defiler in ZvT or go muta in ZvP sometimes. Late game in the non-mirror matchups you might also see Ultralisks.
ZvZ is just ling/muta all the time, though. It's extremely rare for the mirror matchup to tech out of that stage and it's always awesome when it does.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Campaign Fungal Growth is also a hell of a lot stronger than skirmish Fungal Growth. The skirmish version deals like 30 damage and slows units drastically rather than completely immobilizing them.
One other thing of note is that using it on cloaked units will reveal the unit for the duration of the spell, just like Ensnare and Plague in SC1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

The main nerf hydras got was the increase from 1 to 2 supply and the increased resource cost. They got a substantial dps increase to compensate but overall an SC2 hydra is weaker than a comparable cost of SC1 hydras.