Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm not all that fond of the defense missions in 2, and they overuse them enough that even the secondary gimmicks tend to get repeated eventually. I like the siege tank one, but the others tend to be blah or bad. It's a weak point in what is generally fairly solid mission design.

I noticed a couple bits of interesting foreshadowing in the news ticker tape, I hadn't seen that previously. There's a few good jokes there throughout the game that you normally wouldn't notice. Blizzard put a surprising amount of effort into the strangest places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I haven't mathed it out, but don't the reapers have the best anti-structure DPS of the infantry units? If you're running a bioball I could see it being useful to build some as a secondary control group, your MMM squad runs in first to attract attention and kill the enemy units, then the reapers run in after to focus down defensive structures, pylons, or other high-value targets.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
This is the only defense mission in Wings I actually like- giving you the laser cannon and letting you manage risk-reward is much more interesting than just running down a timer, and it's just fun to build up a critical mass of siege tanks and watch enemies melt.

If you want to win by wiping out the Taldarim instead of waiting out the doors, it helps a lot if you complete the Haven mission to unlock vikings before playing this mission, or if you're really crazy, waiting for wraiths. Flying buildings is enough to get the artifacts but they're slow and have poor vision, so trying to run them into the bases for laser vision will get them shot down too quickly to do much damage, and they're defended well enough that trying to go up the ramps will end as badly for you as it does the enemy. Actual aircraft have enough sight to let the laser clear priority threats and then can wipe out the lesser enemies on their own. The right base is pretty easy to destroy this way, though the upper one is significantly larger and better defended so can take some effort even if you know what you're doing.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I think you do get vision beyond what the Observers give you to start with, but it goes away over time- I seem to remember being able to see the starting Zerg forces for the first ten minutes or so, and having vision of the entire starting area even after losing all the structures aside from the archives until around the time Artanis warps in. There are a few other missions that pull similar vision tricks so it's definitely something they're capable of.

The second achievement is available on Normal but I think it's actually easier to achieve on harder difficulties since it boosts the number of Zerglings showing up so you get a lot more kills prior to the Defiler/Hybrid combo waves, which are generally what starts to actually kill your forces.

Overall the mission is a decent setpiece, but as you said it gets pretty dull on repeat plays. It's also the second and IIRC final mission in the entire campaign to have rich mineral fields, even if you're never realistically going to be able to take advantage of them.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Rounding out the trifecta, I never build Banelings myself, but I was a fan of using Regenerative Acid and Kerrigan's Spawn Banelings ability as my primary emergency heal. The cooldown is way longer than her actual heal but I find there's usually not many times where Kerrigan's taking enough fire to need a heal that often, and in exchange it triggers in full effect right away and can smash the hell out of an attack wave at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are Wings and Hearts the same length? Feels like this game as been blowing by if there are only 3 missions to go

Technically both games have 27 missions, but seven of the HOTS ones are evolution missions which take ~5 minutes on average to complete and don't really count- Bisby's been putting them in the intermissions since they're so low content. I think the zerg missions in general tend to be lower difficulty as well since Kerrigan is so powerful, so it feels like there's even less content there.

For reference, LOTV is 25 missions total (3 prologue Zeratul missions, 19 main campaign, and 3 epilogue), and the Nova pack is 9 missions total split into three sets of three. WOL is the largest of the campaigns overall.