Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Is there any kind of achievement tracking or anything that suggests what percentage of players took which side for this choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I can forgive the retcons of "the Dominion/Koprulu Sector are actually way bigger than we said they were" and "the Dominion rebuilt way faster than a reasonable person would expect after BW" much more than I can stuff like the characters' motivations. The fast rebuilding and bigger scope are part of making the game work as a near-term sequel to Brood War, but you don't have to do stuff like mess with why the Overmind created Kerrigan or all the "actually, that was the work of Amon" stuff, that kind of thing. All those are much less necessary.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Alpha3KV posted:

The state of things at the end of Brood War pretty much all boils down to my main annoyance with its plot: The Zerg simply weren't allowed to have truly meaningful defeats. Protoss and Terrans were very much in shambles as a result of the events, but the writers seemingly declared nothing that ever happened against the Zerg really counted. Their strength was never really reduced in any way. They wrote themselves into a corner with apparent favoritism.

Kerrigan is arguably the main protagonist of Starcraft so I'm not surprised that BW ended with her victorious. That's usually how video game stories work and I wouldn't call that favoritism.

And maybe you're referring to BW only but I wouldn't say the Zerg had no meaningful defeats in SC1/BW. The Overmind was killed! That was kind of a big deal!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

WoL in general has something that the other campaigns didn't continue with - optional missions. They're all over the campaign design. This one's the most obvious, being actively hidden (I didn't even know it existed!), but we've also seen a choice of two missions that you only play one of with the Nova/Tosh decision, and another one coming up later if we do eventually go there. And if is a key question too - you have to do a certain amount of missions before the end game, but not all of them, and only one chain of missions is actually required for it so any specific non-Tychus/Narud mission could be one you just never play in your game, and if you do it could be in almost any order.
That's not great for storytelling! Almost none of the events that transpire in missions can affect the broader plot, and any sort of escalating threat can only exist within a single mission chain because that's the only time you can reliably say these missions will be played in order.
It's not great for game design either since on top of making some awkward difficulty curves you're spending development time on more missions than a typical player is going to see.

Maybe Blizzard was hoping to give this campaign some replayability, since on release this was going to be the entire single-player game for however long it took HotS to come out. The way you're locked into your unit upgrades and research choices supports that idea. But I don't think it really helped that much to extend the campaign's lifespan, it's a pretty satisfying length as it is - and it made the game much weaker in the process.

Blizz clearly realized that there was too much mission choice in WOL and it was hurting the story, because they cut it down in HotS and LotV. I don't recall LotV as well but in Heart, you get to choose between mission chains but once you're in a chain, you're going all the way through it before you get to switch to a new one.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

All the ages are terrible though right? Nova is supposedly 19 years old in Starcraft 2 and she's already an experienced government assassin and seems to be ranked relatively senior in the Ghost organization.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Staltran posted:

I'd rather just... ignore all of that extra-game stuff. Aside from the creepiness it just doesn't make any sense. Nova certainly doesn't look like a teenager, or act like one, nor does her position in the Dominion make sense for one.

Yeah, the ages (and a lot more) are absolutely stupid EU stuff that nobody probably ever did the math on except for wiki editors.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Arcanuse posted:

I find it hard to believe the colony suddenly needs purged now given how long Haven's been waiting already. :colbert:
If the Protoss couldn't be bothered all this time, they can wait a bit longer to see if the cure works.

Conversely, Ariel has had pretty much the entire game to develop her cure at this point. If she still doesn't have anything more concrete than "I know I can do it" at this point, it's probably not happening.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

The SC1 canon is that the Zerg are basically like the Annelids from System Shock 2. You've got a lil' worm parasite that climbs into the victim's spine and lives off their nutrients while also being able to mutate them and tell them what to do(the two latter were, I think, post-Xel'naga fuckery with the species). There's no virus or anything of the sort going on.

But uh, Heart of the Swarm will teach us some new things about the Zerg that will make everyone sad.

Yeah I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what Heart of the Swarm thinks "a Zerg" is. But that's for another time.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Maybe too early to raise this, but would a "I want to kill Kerrigan" versus "I want to rescue Kerrigan" choice have worked in WoL? Obviously they'd have to be rail-roaded to the same final resolution, but maybe you could have gotten different cutscenes or missions along the way.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

That's what the Protoss were trying to do though? Selendis didn't know that through the magic of plot, the colonists weren't as infested here as they were in the other timeline, but the intention was absolutely to use all that power against the Zerg. And Jim's like "it's stupid to be killing Protoss when we should be teaming up with them" as if it's the Protoss' fault, as if Jim didn't have an explicit "fight the Protoss or don't fight the Protoss" choice and he very intentionally chose "fight the Protoss". Maybe this is low-hanging fruit to dunk on but IDK.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

Sometimes it's good enough to give a third option that is significantly better, instead of tossing the bomb either in the room with the kittens or the room with the babies, you toss it outside or perhaps in the room with the trolley problem implementer villain, Deus Ex 3 did that at at least one point and it worked perfectly well.

The third option could have been to convince Selendis not to burn the colony and now whoops, everything was in fact infested! Now it's the only outcome in which the player is explicitly wrong and you have to run a base defense mission (Terran with Selendis' carrier as a single special unit under your control) where Outbreak-style hordes of infested attack you with Hanson herself as a boss unit.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah I think the only hint of her motivations you are given in WoL is that one "I know what you're planning and who 'Dr. Narud' is" line.

On which you might fault her for never elaborating, but Jim never bothers to follow up on it and blindly signs on with Moebius and Mengsk Junior, so I wouldn't exactly blame her for not trusting him with sensitive information.

There's also cutscenes in the Pondering, where it's established she's very aware of the threat of some sort of Xel'Naga related end of the universe:

But has also given up on trying to do much of anything about it:

BisbyWorl posted:

A storm is coming that cannot be stopped.

Aaaaaand Kerrigan has gone from the cunning Queen Bitch of the Universe to just... waiting for the end of the universe, I guess?

So it's not exactly clear why she's this interested in the artifacts if she has basically given up on opposing the Xel'Naga, unless she knows they are intended to be used as a weapon against her. Given her well-established willingness to taunt the player, it would have maybe been nice to hear from her a little bit more.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Kerrigan or Selendis being able to call whoever they want on the space phone is a plot hole that is 1000% forgivable - it's what it takes to make things work. Likewise the size of a battlecruiser or even how the Dominion is now way huger than the Confederacy was. The plot holes that are bad are the ones that don't serve a purpose mechnically but just gently caress up the story.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Shatter The Sky is by far the easier way to go - it's an easier mission than Belly Of The Beast, and it makes the next mission much easier too - but Belly Of The Beast is more interesting to watch, and that's what we're here for. Make it Bisby's problem and vote to kill the Nydus worms.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

JackSplater posted:

This cutscene shows an interesting quirk of Blizzard's: They like making their special people left-handed. This is number 3 so far in the campaign. Tychus (minigun left-handed), Nova (canister rifle left-handed), and Warfield (gauss rifle left-handed). That's three out of what, ten-ish primary characters? Some of which who don't make it easy to tell. Left-handedness is present in about 10% of the population, so it's not unheard of, but it's not something you often see in video games at all without it being specifically pointed out. I think that the multiplayer Spec Ops ghost skin can have both left-handed and right-handed ghosts, but I don't think anything else in the game is left-handed.

My mom is left-handed, so I had to hear left-handed propaganda while growing up about how their brains are right-hemisphere-dominant and that supposedly makes them more effective leaders. It is true that six of the fourteen US presidents since WW2 have been left-handed - Truman, Ford, Reagan, HW Bush, Clinton, and Obama - which is unlikely to happen by chance (the lefties argue that you shouldn't count presidents who grew up before the 20th century since left-handness was trained out of people then and we don't know how many were or were not left-handed). Perhaps the same sort of thing is causing an over-representation of left-handedness among the Terran VIPs.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

holding up a U.S. President as a positive example of anything lol

I mean, are Tychus, Nova, and Warfield sterling examples of humanity either? Just passing along the left-handed propaganda.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 19, 2023

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

aniviron posted:

The execution is gaudy, sure, but I like that it's a take on a real thing - there are definitely countries that have a special blinged-out version of their normal fatigues for the generals to wear, and normal marine armor with gold ornamentation on it is a good take on that.

Warfield's camo armor looks like the Killteam Marauders in Great Train Robbery, maybe they originally considered some kind of "Dominion elite" armor design that never really got fleshed out beyond this.

Kith posted:

Fun Fact: The Killteam Marauders in this mission use a special texture for no apparent reason! There's also a Medic version, but I can never remember if it gets used or not.

Either way, neither of them appear outside of this mission.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Not going to wade into the spoiler zone too much, but not a bad guess by Tychus here about a stupid plot point to come. One wonders if it was planned at this point - probably not, I imagine.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

drkeiscool posted:

While I'm mulling over these games plots in my head again, I'm curious: other than the recording of Mengsk wanting to rule the sector or see it burnt to ashes, what's actually inspiring the people to want to rise against him? Like, don't get me wrong, that's pretty hosed up, but assuming he'd laughed it off at that press conference as a deepfake (like, it's hundreds of years in the future, you'd think they'd have the technology to do that by then) instead of freaking out about it, what would've happened? Other than gunning down a civvie in the first mission and having some generically dystopian loudspeakers and billboards, the Dominion as shown in game doesn't seem like a bad place to live. Before the Zerg showed up, he'd managed to begin recolonizing planets ravaged in the last war, the city maps show a pretty high level of technology, and instead of just having Kate Lockwell disappeared, he seems willing to tolerate dissent in the press to some extent. We know why Raynor wants to rebel, but what would lead to the other people of the Dominion rebelling as well?

Are people revolting against him other than in the first two missions and the Media Blitz post-mission cutscene? I don't think there's that much of an open rebellion at any point in the game.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

drkeiscool posted:

I guess that’s a fair point… it just feels weird that the game subtitled “Wings of Liberty” isn’t more focused on fighting for liberty. While everything is at least tangentially related, the actual meat of the rebellion was the prologue and one mission tree. You’d think it would’ve been more prominent.

We're fighting for the liberty of the humanity still within Kerrigan from the Zerg part of her, not for the liberty of the people of the Dominion from Mengsk.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Thousands of people are fighting and dying just so Raynor can get laid.

Maybe they all know this and they think it's awesome that they're campaigning for their boss man's sex life.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I've played WoL through twice and I had never seen that Kerrigan line, that really is dumb. I don't even mind the campaign basically being about Raynor wanting to get his ex-girlfriend back, but even if you buy into that, it's still bad.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

wedgekree posted:

Gameplay wise HotS is fun!

Story is.. Worst of the primary trilogy (I may be alone in thinking this as I found the third game's milquetoast rather than agonizing).

But, really do agree that in general for all this game made Kerrigan and Mengst to be the big bads, you.. Never interact with them. Kerrigan sort of wanders around in the background in two missions and occasionally taunts you. Mengst.. Does diddly beyond news broadcasts. You never interact with him, speak to him...

Well, there's the few seconds where Raynor's with Junior while he chats with dad but there's never any interaction beyond that. The main bad guys seem like they're non-entities in a game that's entirely about them as the antagonists.

A big point is that Mengsk is spending tons of resources going after Raynor, yet we.. Never really see this. There are skirmishes at places Raynor is raiding, but there's no sense of onrushing doom from Mengst. No huge batallions chasing after Raynor's every move, no feeling the pressure, like he's always on your tail.. Even as a framing device, there's no sense of him being the adversary beyond raiding some things for propaganda purposes.

No separate bad guy cutscenes of Mengkst ranting about how he's going to get Raynor. Our only time with him is always in third person (hear him talking on the news, the general broadcasts, etc). It feels so impersonal. For the bad guy driving the narrative we never /see/ htings from his perspective. The big bad needs some level of showcase. Show his brutality, show his plans, show why it's personal/he's a monster. Have him ranting.

Heck, just give him a cutscene when you finish one of the mission 'arcs'. Keep it generic - raving about revenge, how he'll get Raynor, how this doesn't mess up his scenes.. Such a simple thing to do. For the guy driving the narrative, Arcturus seems very unimportant.

I agree with these criticisms, but I think they are fundamentally because the story doesn't care very much about Mengsk and a rebellion against the Dominion. We've talked recently in this thread about how little coverage there is of any popular resistance to the Dominion's authoritarian rule, and even Raynor's resistance to the Dominion is mostly an afterthought - that is, until it evaporates entirely because he starts working directly WITH the forces of the tyrannical Dominion instead of against them. Even the story hook that Kerrigan is prophesized to be important to saving the universe is ultimately barely mentioned in the final missions relative to Jim's generic "we gotta save her!" attitude. In the end, WoL is pretty much just a story of Jim Raynor trying (and succeeding) to save his ex-girlfriend who he failed to save in SC1.

I also agree with those who say Heart of the Swarm has a worse story than Legacy of the Void. Legacy has a few really dumb story moments, unfortunately mostly in the epilogue that wraps it all up, but most of it is decent sci-fi schlock. Heart is just a total disaster.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 10, 2023

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

aniviron posted:

I agree with you that this is the substance of the plot, but I don't think it's what the writer wants to think it's about. The title is Wings of Liberty after all, not This One Weird Trick to Save Your Ex.

I think they probably had a very confused writing process with a lot of different ideas mixed up in it. The rebellion angle was definitely a part, but even the text of the game admits it's not what the game is about.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

what are you talking about, that would absolutely rule

We'll talk about the start of Heart of the Swarm when it happens, but the situation I hoped for was that Raynor is obsessed and in love with Kerrigan, has been thinking about her for years, goes on this arduous quest to turn her human again at great cost, the whole WoL thing. Then when she's human and he goes to profess his love to her, she doesn't get it at all. "Uhhhhh... you mean you've been in love with me all this time, since way back then? Jim, we hooked up like once or twice. I mean, you're a nice guy, don't take this the wrong way, but it was just a fling." The love is completely one-sided, he's nostalgic for and trying to recreate a relationship that never actually existed, etc. That would be a great start to Heart of the Swarm.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

I mean okay, look, if the writing was completely incredible and we had another full campaign with Jim Raynor reckoning with this decision that he made to save someone who was utterly reprehensible, then yeah, I could see it working.

But if we assume the tone of what Wings of Liberty's writing wanted, which is essentially a Western, then that decision would be at massive odds with basically the entire tone of the game and would suck.

If the WoL ending cutscene ended with human Kerrigan saying "you rear end in a top hat, I wanted to stay queen of the Zerg! Screw you!" then I agree, that would be at odds with the tone of WoL and not be a good decision. I think they ended it reasonably well for the story that they told. But Heart of the Swarm is a new campaign that focuses on the Zerg. The opening of Heart could take Kerrigan's feelings about who she is now, what she's done, and what she wants next in a lot of different directions from here and still potentially work, IMO.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Have to admit "cutscene Ultralisks" are incredibly awesome in SC 2. It's a good trailer!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

disposablewords posted:

I feel like the invasion dream is more about still being haunted by the things she thought and did and wanted as the Queen of Blades, more than any (at the moment) revenge desire so great as to murder a planet.

I don't think the cinematic is saying that human Kerrigan still wants to conquer Korhal, but that some part of the Queen of Blades still lurks within her despite having been artifacted back to humanity.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

both of those points are true, though

I mean I'm pretty sure Blizzard wants us to sympathize with Jimmy, but his unearthly crusade to get back together with the girl he dated for a month, and his audacity to get loving pouty when she says she won't put her life on hold to, what, retire to a space homestead off the grid as two of the sector's most wanted criminals? It's not clear what he even thinks was going to happen, just that he feels it is incredibly unfair for Kerrigan to get a say in her own future.

I really don't like SC2 Raynor, is what I'm saying. Kerrigan is at least the victim of the plot being bugfuck stupid, rather than personally making all the worst choices possible.

I think there could be something sympathetic in Jim being the lovelorn fool, if they executed it better. It's an interesting potential idea to me that Raynor has spent the last four years thinking about Kerrigan, feeling shame and guilt that he wasn't able to protect her from turning into a monster (as if it was solely his fault, since he is the main character of the story he's told himself about this), and having alcohol-fueled daydreams about someday saving her. Then after much effort, he finally "saves" her, but the fantasy he's spent years pursuing doesn't come true. He's nostalgic for and trying to recreate a romantic relationship that barely existed in the first place, the feelings he's built up in the intervening years are completely unrequited, and Kerrigan didn't spend the last four years thinking about him as he did thinking about her. I think Raynor having to reconcile his fantasy of what he dreamed their post-WoL relationship could be with the reality of Kerrigan's lack of romantic interest in him would be worthwhile for his character to have to process!

Obviously they don't even come close to doing any of this though.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 18, 2023

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Maybe Kerrigan's #2 will be her loving boyfriend, Jim Raynor, since clearly their relationship is going great and they'll surely stay together for the rest of the game.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Felinoid posted:

Frankly I'm starting to get a read between the two stories of people yearning for times past (or outright stuck in them) to a destructive degree. Combined with the time between SC1 and SC2, it feels like an almost-subtle push to put SC1 behind and have players focus on SC2. Hell, they even made it fewer years in-game than in real life.

And I have to admit, I'm kinda feeling it. I feel like replaying WoL over and over more than going back to SC1 (though part of that is just the simple annoyance that is Zerg 8). The quality of life changes are just...good. Micro-ing workers is boring. The 12 unit control groups make swarms of zerglings annoying, and as we saw at the end of this mission, they have great capacity to be cathartic instead. That 140+ swarm in the final minutes wouldn't have been nearly so controllable with even all 10 control groups in SC1 limiting you to 120 (plus manual grabbing). The permanent upgrade progression in each campaign is something I love, though obviously I can see others hating it. There's a lot of good things. Shame the story got chopped down to not be one of them.

SC2 also does a better job of having interesting missions than SC1. There are very few missions in SC1 that aren't "wipe out the enemy base", "defend your base", or "dungeon". SC2 has a bunch of missions with interesting and different objectives, and even in the ones that boil down to basically "wipe out the enemy base" or "defend your base" there's usually at least some bonus objective or scripted event that livens things up.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

You should start the next mission with one free extra zergling from the guy in the ship with you.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

How the Zerg incorporate new species into the Swarm in SC 1, according to the manual:

quote:

Although extremely small, worm-like, and possessing no ability to manipulate their physical surroundings, the Zerg adapted to survive. They developed the ability to burrow into the flesh of the less vulnerable species indigenous to Zerus. Feeding off the nutrients contained within the spinal fluids of their hosts, the Zerg learned to parasitically merge with their host creatures. Once they became capable of controlling the metabolic and anatomical processes of their hosts, the Zerg used their new bodies to manipulate their surroundings.

How the Zerg incorporate new species into the Swarm in SC 2:

They pick up a DNA helix-shaped powerup on the map.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

That's overselling it a bit. The zerg by SC1 clearly incorporated the DNA of their subsumed species, since they were able to hatch them from zerg eggs. Zerg have always had a big unstable-alien-DNA thing going on.
And the map powerup is just a gameplay visual for getting living tissue samples.
The concept of incorporating alien DNA has always been a core part of the Zerg.

Calling it essence all the time is a dumb coat of paint to make what the zerg does more like magic and less like science, at least from their own perspective. Along with tying DNA concretely to the whole "purity of form/purity of essence" thing the Xel'naga had going on, just in case you'd forgotten that the Zerg had Purity of Essence, and wanted the Protoss, who had Purity of Form, and it was very important that something had Purity of Form and Purity of Essence and the Zerg are the ones with the Essence. Essence.

It wouldn't grate so bad if they weren't saying the word every other sentence, good god.

My intended point wasn't to claim that it was a retcon, mainly just that it went from something cool and interesting to something not cool and interesting, and it'll get even worse.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Alpha3KV posted:

I distinctly remembered the Overmind explicitly talking about purity of form and essence at some point on Aiur in the first Zerg campaign. I scanned through the SC1 LP and found the quote I was looking for at the very end of its last mission:

Merging the "purities" of the two species was something very significant to it, even long after killing the Xel'naga who had been watching the Zerg. More than being something beneficial, it talks about it like a kind of divine fate.

Remember though, we learned in the Pondering in WoL that the Overmind had no free will and this was all actually the work and desires of Amon.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

That Niadra is never seen again in the game and the standing "kill all Protoss" order doesn't backfire is an incredible dropping of the ball on a Chekov's Gun.

RevolverDivider posted:

This mission rules to actually play even if the writing is hilariously bad

Yeah it's the most interesting and creative dungeon mission in the franchise gameplay-wise IMO.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

We get a new NPC on the bridge on Char, please vote Char.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

No, you did. We wouldn't be anywhere near here if the writers didn't give you their notes.

You must let Zerus remake you, Kerrigan! The final war nears, and there is little time.

I don't have to do a drat thing. I will not be a pawn in your prophecies.

Kerrigan has zero interest in Zeratul's bullshit.

But you will do anything to have your revenge?

Unfortunately, he Knows The Plot, so he can get her to do it anyways.

Then that is enough.

Maybe falling for the "You must let Zerus remake you, Kerrigan!" bit would land better if it was clear that she was unable to get her revenge on Mengsk without it - like if she fought and failed, then was like okay I have to do Zeratul's idea. As is, she already seems to be a fairly capable leader of the swarm (especially if we had done Char already) with a fair shot at Korhal if she just kept up on the track she's on. I guess maybe the second mission counts as "fought and failed" but since she hooked back up with the Zerg, things have been going pretty well.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 3, 2024

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

All those missions we spent in WoL turning Kerrigan into a human feel like a super productive way to have spent our time now that she's been turned right back into the Queen of Blades again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Some heroic attempts being made in this thread to defend the re-zergification of Kerrigan but all for naught. Blizzard could have made the story point work if they'd done a bunch of things differently, but as it is actually presented in the game it's really really bad.