Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
If you weren't aware of the cancelled shooter or tie in novels, her five lines of dialogue here are literally everything you get from Nova.

As such, I'd say we give the newcomer a chance and voted for Nova, Tosh and his Mr. Brooding Mysterious Man that watches you sleep shtick is wearing a bit thin.

This is either a lie or a reference to cut content, Tosh hasn't actually assisted Raynor in any mission against the Dominion yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I liked Eve of the Apocalypse: Twilight for being a lot grander in scope than most AoS maps with multiple locations to play at, alternate victory conditions and letting players add more creeps to the waves.

Not to be confused with the regular Eve of the Apocalypse without the ": Twilight" behind it, that's a wave defense map from the same author.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Is Eve of the Apocalypse the one that took like five minutes to load because it was quadruple-sized and where the calculations for the power scaling involved quadratic equations? I only played that one a couple of times but I was always fascinated by it.
I personally never had issues with the loading times but yes that's the one. Mostly played it against the (surprisingly competent for a WC3 custom map!) AI though because of a 1500-2000 ms ping I had at my parent's house at the time.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The most charitable read of that boarding scene is that Valerian disposes of the honour guard Arcturus sent to keep an eye on him before he starts doing high treason stuff.

The most realistic read is that a cinematic of Jimmy and Tychus boarding a ship was made and it needed to be used SOMEWHERE, relevance or sensibility be damned.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
In terms of how fun the WC3 missions are, for a first playthrough the only real stinker is Key of the Three Moons, the rest is at least passable. Where Wyverns Dare invokes some mild déjà vu to Cry of the Warsong with it's south -> north layout but it plays differently enough and it executes it's zeppelin gimmick much better than it's Undead equivalent so I didn't really mind it.

The campaign's main weakness for me is the low replayability in hero based dungeon maps(which Blizzard thankfully cut back on massively for SC2 after completely overdosing on them with The Founding of Durotar) and defense missions, though that is more of a general RTS issue rather than a Blizzard one.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
It also lets the developers re-use the animation rig from Jimmy and Tychus, which is something Blizzard used to be incredibly stingy with back in the day. You'd be amazed at how many random creatures in WoW are secretly a reskinned Core Hound with one of the heads missing!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

In theory the reason they need Raynor at all is his strategic skills that you, the player, are demonstrating. I don't know if you really need a lot of tactical acumen for the idea of "round up the boys and shoot anything that moves" but, y'know, gameplay-story segregation.
Maybe he's their regimental drummer and he's absolutely vital to getting the rhythm for stutterstepping just right.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
This mission does answer how the artifact reverses zergification - it doesn't, it just explodes everything zerg related and Kerrigan just has enough plot armour psi rating to survive that.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'm going to go with 234 Essence. Originally wanted to go with 123 but then I remembered [REDACTED] exists.

Kerrigan's dark gloves really blend into the background on the Leviathan so she ends up looking like she has no hands in some of the screenshots.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Poil posted:

Wouldn't it take an awful long time for a world to turn from a fiery volcanic one to a lush jungle one? Many millions of years? But given how time works in Starcraft 2 it probably was less than 100 years.
If you want an ecologically diverse jungle, it'll indeed be a few million years. If you merely want lots of greenery and have a big pile of fern spores, they'll readily colonize any fertile soil as fast as the wind can spread them.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Szarrukin posted:

40k writers attitude to both sense of scale and basic math is entirely different level. According to official numbers density of some of Imperial ship (I believe it was Cobra class destroyer) is so low they should float on water.
My personal favourites of 40k math making no sense whatsoever are the Warhound Titan(a mech the size of a modest townhouse) being listed as 50.000 tons somewhere, which would put it in the same weight class as the largest WW2 battleships and one of the Imperium's armoured vehicles(I think it was the Land Raider?) being made out of advanced space alloys giving it the equivalent of 200mm of regular steel, a respectable amount for a tank from the 50's.

There's also ships in the Rogue Trader sourcebooks having their crew sizes scale linearly with length leaving the largest one with a population density that would be comparable to Monaco if it were a 2d plane but due to it being about two kilometers tall and generously assuming each deck takes up 10 meters on average with the vaulted ceilings and all, it's more spread out than Kazakhstan.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Huh, looks like I should've stuck with my original guess on the essence count, I've kind of just forgotten how little content there was in this game, I'd mentally filed it as being the same as the other games in the series, just more boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
My guess is that these maps were made(or at least the dialogue for them) immediately prior to the their release and Kerrigan's completely unnecessary attitude here is the result of somebody attempting to copy the freshly released The Witcher 3's Yennefer of Vengerberg but forgetting to create the appropriate stakes for this kind of behaviour to make sense.