Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
oh dear sweet Jesus. I gave up on this after Heart of the Swarm, so it'll be exciting to see someone else suffer.

If I might make a suggestion, though? Reduce your screenshots to 900 pixels or so wide, it makes the thread a LOT more readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

BisbyWorl posted:

The problem with that is it makes text and small details a lot harder to make out, which is bad when you're doing a game that has a lot of text and small details. I'm basically starting this with the assumption that it'll never be able to be archived, barring Baldurk coming in out of nowhere and bumping the archive's size limits by a ton. Hell, half the reason I started at this size is because Killtrane is also working at 1920px.

It's less about archiving, it's more that with the screenshots that big I'm finding them actively eye-straining. I can personally still read the text perfectly well at 900px, but even a midpoint like 1000px or 1200px would help a lot.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

Mmm. I already have the next mission finished, but on Terran 03 I'll try stepping down to 1200px and see how that looks.

Even if you've recorded at a higher resolution, Irfanview, among others, can easily batch-resize all your screenshots(or do things like cutting out the cinematic black bars on cutscenes).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

NewMars posted:

Alright, there's a big, understated elephant in the room between sc1 and sc2 and that's already apparent. The events of SC2 take place 4 years after brood war. But everything in the story would only make sense, that is, the parts that do make sense, if it was somewhere closer to 40 years. Or at least a generation's worth.

On a similar note as regards scale, it was already happening in brood war and definitely got amped up in between SC1 and SC2, but in the original, the confederacy was 13 planets. And seven of those god mulched! The Dominion in this is implied to be dozens, likely well over a hundred.

Maybe after Brood War they went back home and conquered the Earth and its attendant colonies.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

theshim posted:

as a casual observer. I never cared too much about the plot, so all the retcons, holes, and plain dumb stuff didn't bug me too much. Still, an LP should be fun to keep up with. Good luck!

Don't worry, I care a lot about it, so I'll shout enough about it to make up for your silence. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I confess, I found the gameplay pretty tepid. Most missions could be solved by just producing a lot of a single all-rounder unit type and doing an attack move order.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Cythereal posted:

literal whitewashing of Kerrigan

I confess, as I remember Kerrigan in SC1, wasn't she also red-haired and pale-skinned then? I don't recall ever having anything to go on beyond her unit, uh, face thing on the status bar that would indicate otherwise. The only real design difference I notice is that they removed her dreads.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh, yeah, I won't disagree that she's definitely whiter, she's been prettied up in an odd way that more or less erases what she originally looked like, and removing the dreads was an odd choice, too, I thought you implied she was clearly of some minority ethnicity in SC1 and that had been deleted. My bad.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

NewMars posted:

I still maintain that a lot of problems with the timescale between 1 and 2 would go away if there was a 0 on the end of that 4 year gap. Because like, that's two full generations, enough time for colonies and a huge population boom to really expand the terran reach and for the dominion to have rebuilt, refocused and rearmed itself.

Yeah but then Raynor might look more differenter and they couldn't just copypaste him.

Also speaking of how Raynor looks, I know it's so you can pick him out easily on the battlefield, but it's amusing that his model is twice as large as the other marines.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

But do we ever get the answer to the most important question? ARE our children using Stimpaks?!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Original Starcraft and Warcraft 3 was when I played most of my RTS games.

Not so much the campaigns, mind you, I was kind of eh on those, and cheated my way through the latter third or so of Starcraft because it didn't really excite me much, but the UMS maps on Battle.Net had me loving addicted. For Starcraft it was wild what motivated designers could force the engine to do, and then Warcraft 3 just took it to a whole other level as a lot of those jury-rigs suddenly became baked-in and allowed for fresh levels of insanity.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The Protoss not being as smart or competent as they think they are is completely in character and also the reason for why a lot of things in Starcraft 1 and Brood War happened the way they did.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Wait a moment, I didn't quite remember the details of this but...

Casualties in the billions within at most a few days? Yeah, someone really loved Warhammer 40k because we're getting these insane inflated numbers getting thrown around that clearly no one understands.

With regards to the upgrades, I like the idea that it gives a sense of progression and lets you "customize" your loadout to your playstyle, but I felt it was very rare where I was in doubt about what to pick. Generally the upgrades had very clear and obvious superior choices that would let you win the game better and more easily.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

Canonically the Magistrate hosed off shortly after Raynor took the Hyperion and has been MIA ever since.

Smartest person in the setting.

"lmao, gently caress this, peace"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Plus he lives in space prison camp sector. The place was colonized by convicts.

Space Australia.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Fajita Queen posted:

Well presumably it's not like the Spartan armor.

Maybe he doesn't want to get out of the suit because he imagines that it is. Inside his head he keeps calling himself Master Chief and John Halo.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The "unit showcase mission" feels like design that Blizzard first experimented with in Warcraft 3, and honestly? I really don't like it. To me it means that until the very last couple of missions, everything feels like you're still playing a tutorial, because every mission is designed to give your latest toy some special attention rather than forcing you to engage some brain gears.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

I actually love the mission design for that exact reason. You actually get to enjoy and show off your new toys, as opposed to a lot of games (e.g., SC1) where you basically just don't use some units, ever.

It also makes various missions feel more distinct, rather than a lot of SC1 where so many missions feel repetitive because, for example, "tanks and tanks and tanks" is a viable answer to almost every single Terran mission once you get them.

See, I think that this speaks more to some units simply being bad and other units simply being overpowered. If there are units that the players never use, well, then those units loving suck or other units outshine them, or both. I don't think the solution to that is "here's the mission where you're forced to use a tiresome gimmick unit" or "here's a mission where we take away your good units."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I confess I never, ever touched mercenaries when I played it. Upgrades are always the superior option in my mind.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Probably not on the higher levels of difficulty, but I felt that on normal, just steamrolling the enemy bases on missions where you were supposed to defend or whatever and not steamroll, was really often a viable way of just clowning on the mission.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Nostalgamus posted:

There is actually a text blurb for <5 zerg research, which you'll never see unless you're deliberately skipping the optional objectives:

Videogame evolution is my favourite kind of evolution, where it's always literally just like levelling up and always makes you stronger or smarter, and can be tracked as linear upgrade over time.

Also I feel like Mengsk actually looks younger than he did back in the earlier games.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

I adore the Field Manual. I love that type of book where it's presented as a more professional or standard thing, but a previous owner has left all sorts of doodles and entertaining comments scribbled in.

I remember Syndicate Wars had a good bit of that, with the manual written from the point of view of EuroCorp but annotated by the cultists, another good example is the Paranoia XP RPG's corebook where, once again, a lot of the text is official propaganda, but you get commentary from mutants and rebels.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Honestly when I played, which I think was admittedly on normal because my general experience with higher difficulty levels is that they add more tedium rather than more challenge, I felt like rolling out and dunking on the enemies I wasn't supposed to fight was something I did to pass the time or for bragging points, rather than something that made a difference to the mission.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Does sticking them into bunkers skip over the Firebats' wind-up animation before attacking or are they still slow to actually target stuff?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm kind of baffled by the idea of the infestation as a subtle virus when it literally turns people into huge, shambling meat mans and wraps buildings in giant meat worms.

Like, in SC1, becoming an infested terran never felt to me anything like a virus, it was closer to a Geiger/Aliens-esque transformation, where something hijacked your entire biology immediately and then you got to watch it transform into a weapon while out of control. Hell, the original Zerg were just worms that parasitized animals and eventually learned how to control them rather than just being a passenger along for the ride, I always imagined it was more along those lines.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Which makes the fact that their first instinct was to turn humans into bombs a bit of an insult to our usefulness.

Yeah, canonically the only humans that Zerg had a use for beyond IED's were those with psionic potential, like Kerrigan.

Cythereal posted:

In Dawn of War 2, it's a much more sensible story for trying to cure a particular toxin, not a disease. Coming up with an antidote to a particular chemical poison is very different from trying to cure a disease.

Starcraft 2's plot seems to struggle with the difference between diseases, parasites, acids, and toxins. It's all green goop to them.

I think you mean it's all green corruption to Chris Metzen. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Aces High posted:

I think SC1 EU stuff (whether it was a book or a comic, I do not remember) showed that if a captured Terran didn't even have a sufficient psionic makeup they would basically go brain dead from the zergification process, and so the only use the Overmind could think up was to turn them into man-powered IEDs. The story I specifically remember this for was one where Kerrigan captured a UED medic and was experimenting to see if she could get the same results as the Overmind got when creating the Queen of Blades. After a certain point, the medic's personality got erased and Kerrigan's reaction was basically that Top Gear meme

How much SC1/SC2 EU stuff exists outside of the games, anyway? I assume smaller volumes than for Warcraft.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

God, a Diablo novel.

I'm sure it can't be as entertaining as it is in my mind.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Pieces of Peace posted:

There's over a dozen. Most of them are by Richard K. Knaak, inventor of half of the worst self-insert WoW characters (Rhonin, Krasus, Broxigar)

...that's a lot of self-inserts for one man.

Hey Cyth, any chance of a look at the most atrocious writer self-inserts in one of the next lore posts? :v: Might be funny to have them all in one place.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Wrong thread. :v: I've never read a single Starcraft book and I don't intend to start.

whoops, lmao, so many of the same people in these two threads I got confused. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Kerrigan was an exceptional psionic, but not a unique one. Psionic power is a latent thing among Terrans in general and quite a few of them had the gift to use it. It's why the Zerg invaded them in the first place.

Weren't the Ghosts in general implied or outright stated to be psionic? Though I think that's all we ever really see of it in Starcraft. Its also probably common among the Terrans in Starcraft because the Terrans are ancestors of the mutants and criminals launched out from Earth in colony ships, meaning they probably had a statistically larger number of psionically capable people among them from the get go.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Calax posted:

The only other books I remember are "Speed of Darkness" from Tracy Hickman (one of the writers behind ye-olde dragonlance). Not great. I remember giving it a few tries before tossing it aside.

You should've just stuck with it, then eventually Yahweh would've dropped by to resolve the plot after turning out to have been the most intolerable and awful comedy relief character all along.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Aces High posted:

the short story goes into this, actually. if you're able to find an archive of it (probably not too challenging, but I'm not sure if out-of-print magazines count as :filez: and so I can't link one of the places I found it while googling last night), half of the story is Kerrigan remembering how the initial selection process went for her being entered into the Ghost program. the Medic exists because Kerrigan observes the things she does and thinks "oh poo poo, maybe she's the one, I made similar choices in similar circumstances and did similar psychic things and look what I became!" but whatever virus or mutagen Kerrigan is using on the captured Terrans doesn't work and so the medic just becomes another mindless drone.

Incidentally, the text describes Kerrigan as effectively being ugly and grotesque, from the medic's perspective, with little tidbits like "she may have been seen as attractive once" and it reminds me that one of the things I always liked about Kerrigan pre-Wings of Liberty was that she was never really sexualized (my recollection). Her ghost model showed her in a slender profile, but all the ghosts were like that because they're infiltrators, they don't need all the 40k power armour because that's not how they do their jobs. When she transforms into the Queen of Blades, she still has a Terran physique but she still looks like a soldier. I remember when WoL first came out and my immediate reaction upon seeing Kerrigan's full model was "....oh, well that, that's not the queen bitch I've had in my mind for the past decade. that sucks"

Outside of the box art, I can only really find one time where we see Kerrigan as something other than a tiny, crusty sprite prior to Starcraft 2. About the only parts of her that still look remotely human are the legs, hands and face, everything else is more insecty chitin than anything.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Gun Jam posted:

I think so?

There's also the campaign select from brood war:

(I could have sworn she was barefooted, but without high hills.

Huh! I completely forgot that one. But yeah I will say that is already well towards making her design horny, considering that her "chitin" coincidentally looks like a corset.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Firebats always kind of felt like the apex of Starcraft's design. Like, even if they were never super useful, the design felt like if all the designs of Starcraft were an evolutionary tree, Firebats would be the only extant modern survivor, evolved into a very specific niche and perhaps living off a single type off moss only found in a cave in Paraguay... I think the metaphor ran away from me, but you get what I mean(I hope). Their design was strong, in the original mostly in the concept art, but still.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Boo, you didn't deal with the Brutalisk the fun way.

Luring it into the lava when it rises? :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Lets punch some aliens and get some Goliaths.

I know there's one unit that I completely used to trivialize the Terran campaign by just mass producing it and nothing else. I can't remember which one it was now, though, but I know I'll recognize it as soon as I see it in a mission.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I never built any goliaths in SC1, marines always seemed to be better all-rounders.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

I personally voted for whatever flying tanks meant because flying units can only help right now. We have plenty of ground mechs, but airborne attackers are a pretty big hole in our coverage currently.

I think this may be referring to the unit I used to steamroll the entire Terran campaign with. So I'm all for that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The old Goliath design was cooler, in my opinion.