Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
That shows a lot of why I love JJJ - for all his borderline cartoonish a$$holishness at times. At heart he's a good (admittedly insanely grumpy) old man that has the bcak of (most of the) people who worked ofr him at the Bugle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Marauders

Never had fun with Firebats, but Marauders are hella sweet.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Also in the bar there's that dancing Night Elf on a pole

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, and I presume at least being on acid is amusing for the rest of the game. Maybe?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Going for Jailbreak

This is for our buddy locked in armor!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I wonder if either of the Protoss or Zerg upgrade trees gave a possible upgrade for the Yamato on the Hyperion, you'd have to argue about whether the cannon was canon.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Jailbreak

If only as it actually -feels- like you're sticking it into Mengst and is one of my favorite missions.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I always tend to go with the 'roleplay' choice over things. If it means doing the 'good person and compassionate' choice in Rogue Trader where everyone stares at you, so be it!

And yeah, go with Tosh. Nova promises nothing, offers us nothing, and is Mengst's personal assassin. I'm pretty sure her game is 'two birds, one stone' and have two enemies of the Dominion off one another and then she can do cleanup duty.

She's not th eenemy of my enemy. She's the enforcer of my enemy.

Tosh has been weird but chill. I mean, he's hung out, he's worked with us, and he's kept his word so far.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
For me breakage with Blizzard was Warcraft 3 Reforged. I was expecting a remake of the game with new cutscenes, tweaks to the storyline and missions.. Instead we got some updated models. Uninstalled it so fast.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
NUKES ON A TRAIN

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
The Wing Commander series had 'branches' that could go into 'bad' states by default if you failed missions/failed specific ones.

IIRC in one of them (I think 2) you could go to the 'failed' path if you failed the first/tutorial mission in the game.

Those games being extremely hard you often had total failure playthroughts in campaigns beyond you just being randomly shot down in missions.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Man, you goons already have made the sequel's trilogy far, far more interesting and engaging just in the back and forth here.

I'd read it.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, agree with the Alien that it needs to be burned. And glassed.

Because if a woman working in a minimally equipped medical bay with whatever equipment could be looted, repurposed, or rejiggered could make a vaccine to prevent Zerg infection, wouldn't it have been done by now?

And isn't the Zerg's thing how rapidly they can evolve and improve themselves ergo shouldn't they be able to pretty much instantaneously adjust to it and bypass it, rendering it pointless?

The only way to deal with the Zerg is to obliterate them.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So, wait, the colonists were all infected with Zerg and basically turned as soon as the Protoss fleet came into orbit? And Hansen did within like an.. Hour or so?

So, like, how is it possible that siding with the colonists does /not/ result in a planet full of millions of Zerg?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So does the writing get better/worse from here?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Gameplay wise HotS is fun!

Story is.. Worst of the primary trilogy (I may be alone in thinking this as I found the third game's milquetoast rather than agonizing).

But, really do agree that in general for all this game made Kerrigan and Mengst to be the big bads, you.. Never interact with them. Kerrigan sort of wanders around in the background in two missions and occasionally taunts you. Mengst.. Does diddly beyond news broadcasts. You never interact with him, speak to him...

Well, there's the few seconds where Raynor's with Junior while he chats with dad but there's never any interaction beyond that. The main bad guys seem like they're non-entities in a game that's entirely about them as the antagonists.

A big point is that Mengsk is spending tons of resources going after Raynor, yet we.. Never really see this. There are skirmishes at places Raynor is raiding, but there's no sense of onrushing doom from Mengst. No huge batallions chasing after Raynor's every move, no feeling the pressure, like he's always on your tail.. Even as a framing device, there's no sense of him being the adversary beyond raiding some things for propaganda purposes.

No separate bad guy cutscenes of Mengkst ranting about how he's going to get Raynor. Our only time with him is always in third person (hear him talking on the news, the general broadcasts, etc). It feels so impersonal. For the bad guy driving the narrative we never /see/ htings from his perspective. The big bad needs some level of showcase. Show his brutality, show his plans, show why it's personal/he's a monster. Have him ranting.

Heck, just give him a cutscene when you finish one of the mission 'arcs'. Keep it generic - raving about revenge, how he'll get Raynor, how this doesn't mess up his scenes.. Such a simple thing to do. For the guy driving the narrative, Arcturus seems very unimportant.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
You've all given some very good counterparts for my thoughts on the story and it's pacing, so thank you for the commentary!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So, when exactly does that acid flashback take place?

Kerrigan wasn't in full Queen of Blades form and planetary invasions until the very end of Brood War, so this intro cinematic really doesn't fit in that game. In the five years since, Kerrigan's kept to her own sources. Then her offensive against Mengsk starts, but she mostly is content to randomly rampage along while spending most of her effort trying to dig up artifacts.

So (unless she's hallucinating in detail a memory of something which hasn't happened/hasn't happened yet) we're limited to her being somewhere on the offensive and leveling most of a city against hardened defenses, which we only really have of her during the.. Tutorial missions of the first game.

Sooo there isn't any real other opportunities for it beyond that slash of time around MIssion 2/3 of the last game she could have been on the offensive, showed up in person to rampage (maybe during when they showed that creepy flash of her when TItus was hacking the HYperion's security records)?

Or am I giving it too much thought?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I like a lot of their banter here. It's fun and charming. Saving further commentary as spoilers

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

This is only true for the SC1 LP happening on this forum. It is not actually canon. Matt was an officer on one of the ships sent to evacuate Mar Sara.

Where's a link to that? It sounds fun to read

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

If you mean the LP, it's on the front page as I type this, it's the LP by JohnKilltrane. Otherwise, the info from Matt's backstory I got from his page on the Starcraft wiki.

Cool thanks! I'll have to read it sometime when I have a free weekend.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Essence Essence Joy Joy

To the tune of the Ren and Stimpy song!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I see glowing and I think.. NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL KERRIGAN!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Sooo, how many missions in Swarm are vs Protoss and Zerg as opposed to Terran, who are narratively the big baddies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I wanna know how in the last five years or so anyone in the Dominion is left /alive/.

Like, shouldn't the Terran population be near extinction levels even with hundreds of planets given we're seeing tens of billions of people dying?