  • Post
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zomborgon posted:

This angle on the Ultralisk really makes them look like the masc equivalent of Swarm Queens

Imagining some Zerg chud "There's only two genders, Swarm Queens and Ultralisks!", while a bunch of Muta or Hydra cocoons are cooking right behind it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

NewMars posted:

I mean, on the one hand yes: on the other hand, you'd have to structure large parts of the third game in a planned trilogy around the outcome of these choices, which is an assload of work.

Maybe, but not necessarily. The prisoners are an easy way to add some choice without needing to consider the longer term effects. They'll die anyway, you can't save them (so you don't need whole other paths), but during this mission, one way is to shelter them as you can and kill them humanely (or zergely?), like a mercy kill instead of venting atmosphere, the other is to infest them. Harder mission since no troops, but doing the right thing. Mechanical benefit during the mission. Acknowledge it with a line from Stukov next intermission.

For more major stuff, sure you'd want to follow up more on it, but it can be simple still. In a PvT mission, the Terrans got word of Kerrigan's kindness so [some effect depending on mission/plot]. Or in a PvZ one, some infested are tagging along. No need to full on branch, if you don't give the player the choice to shape narrative to THAT much of an extent.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

bladededge posted:

Actiblizzard, giving their devs no time or resources to work on their flagship esports game?
Surely not. What's next, they give devs no time or resources on their Warcraft remaster? Or their Dota clone?

Story for the sequel to an iconic sci-fi RTS $200
Remastering a beloved RTS $150
Diversity Chart $800
Being a disgusting workspace on so many levels $3,600
HotS (not the Starcraft one) $150

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my studio is dying

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Xarn posted:

To be fair to Blizzard (lol), AFAIK at this point the bean counters were firmly in charge, and the whole of SC2 probably made less revenue than couple cosmetics in WoW.

To: bean-counters@blizzard.com
From: serperoth@smart.biz

Subject: Fans like him! One weird trick to harbor goodwill!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader - GOOD
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workplace#Workplace_issues - BAD

Kind Regards,

Serperoth

Joke aside, you're not wrong on that, it just kinda sucks, since they could've easily done cross-promotional stuff if they'd supported it. "In celebration of [insert faction here] winning the SC2 tournament, we're discounting this battle pet at the online store, limited time!" and "If you buy this pet, you can also get a steep discount on this Starcraft thing... It's free, you could try it... Maybe check out the co-op, only a few bucks per commander, wink wink."
But I guess they ran the numbers and figured it would buy them slightly fewer yachts per month or something to do it that way.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cythereal posted:

And it says pretty damning things about Blizzard's management and editing (or lack thereof) that no one killed it before it reached the PTR. That wasn't just one writer, people had to come up with the quest gameplay mechanical design, the mobs, environments, etc.

Yeah, this is honestly it. Like, some writer ham-handedly trying to address it in a bad way? Bad, but no bad ideas in brainstorming, that's why you don't move forward with it. It making it past more than one or two set of eyes? That's the real issue there.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4