Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

I don't totally disagree. That moment was certainly burned into my brain as well when I beat that mission in High School.

Well, there will be plenty of opportunity to talk about it more in-depth as the LP moves deeper into the story. I don't want to get ahead of things. Kerrigan's handling in the entire Starcraft II trilogy was full to bursting with problems, unforced errors and questionable editorial choices. For now I'll just stick to what I said in that initial effort post, which is that I was OK with the idea of Jim pining for Kerrigan in her human form and trying to put up a mental wall between that woman and the Zerg Queen she became because it was representative of the fact that he starts this story far more broken by the events of Brood War than he lets on, or maybe even realizes himself.

This was my read on it too. Yeah, Raynor swears to put a bullet in Kerrigan at the end of the Brood War, and we see over the course of Wings of Liberty that the the man is carrying around gun with only one bullet in the chamber for when that day comes, and he's been sitting around moping in a bar for nearly a decade because Kerrigan curbstomped him at the end of Brood War and then Mengsk picked up the slack in styling all over him after she retreated back to Char. Raynor mourning the loss of Sarah Kerrigan and wanting the kill the Queen of Blades are not mutually exclusive ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

wologar posted:

Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm are perfectly fine games if you ignore everything Starcraft had previously established.

Never got around the third one, even though I enjoyed Protoss gameplay.

Legacy of the Voice is also a perfectly fine game if you ignore everything the previous games established about the Protoss.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

By popular demand posted:

I'm dead serious, they should have fired the writing team and hired Vince McMahon.

But Mengsk is already in the game though :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Szarrukin posted:

UNN News Reports is a joke that was was funny first and even second time, but they decided to spread it over entire game, effectively killing it.

Tychus is such obvious Jayne Cobb expy it hurts and his obvious betrayal is one of the worst "plot twist" I've ever seen.

The lesser is told about Jim+Kerrigan romantic subplot, the better.

When it comes to Tychus I almost appreciate that they DIDN'T do the "guy working for the villain is conflicted and has a change of heart" narrative, because that's been done to death and instead it's just "yeah, he's a loving shitbag right to the end and gets no redemption, deal with it." The alternative honestly wouldn't have been any more interesting anyway.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

JJJ as an unhinged podcast host never stopped being funny.

edit: I only played the Peter Parker one so far though, so I guess it's possible he stopped being funny in Miles but I doubt it.

PSverse Jameson strikes me as one of those "I don't acknowledge that Miles is Spider-Man for ONE VERY SPECIFIC REASON THAT YOU CAN EASILY GUESS BUT I'LL NEVER SAY OUT LOUD" types of folks.

E: Hell, every incarnation of JJ probably is that type of person :rolleyes:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

wedgekree posted:

That shows a lot of why I love JJJ - for all his borderline cartoonish a$$holishness at times. At heart he's a good (admittedly insanely grumpy) old man that has the bcak of (most of the) people who worked ofr him at the Bugle.

My favorite takes on Jameson are the versions where he finds out Peter is Spider-Man for whatever reason and then just continues to treat Peter no better or worse than he usually does as a person. They're so incredibly rare, and of course thanks to Marvel's continual Spider-Man continuity resets, are usually often always erased anyway.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

disposablewords posted:

Dang, I guess it's been just way too long since I last even glanced at Brood War. Well, rip in piss to a garbage dude, I guess I'm okay with throwing in Warfield.

Warfield is "What if Duke WASN'T a complete irredeemable piece of poo poo." Same charisma, same commanding presence, same tongue firmly on Mengsk's boot, just not as much of an rear end in a top hat.

But yeah, this is definitely Blizzard going "Oh poo poo, we really shouldn't have killed Duke off in Brood War, what were we thinking?"

And won't be the last time they play this card either :ssh: