Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

Torchlighter posted:

Seriously, by missing out on SC1, Tychus (CW:suicide) genuinely has no knowledge of what the Zerg even are, and barely any understanding of the Protoss. I've seen at least one theory that Tychus' position in the narrative is him commiting Suicide by Cop after making what he thought was a simple assassination deal with Mengsk that immediately spiraled into 'try to kill the most powerful single being in the universe, BTW according to your old pal Jimmy she's also a victim of Mengsk DealsTM, formerly a human and if she dies the entire sector dies, so she has to stay alive.'

That's always been my read. Tychus is a dick, and was happy to accept Mengsk's deal, but starting with when he sees Kerrigan's picture in the bar, he's probably conflicted about what's he's been asked to do, and that only gets worse as he learns more and more. He was probably hoping that Events would deal with his problem for him, or he'd find another way out, but that was never going to be an option. He had to stay with Raynor, and Raynor was always going to go after Kerrigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
Everyone's story also suffers from the branching mission structure, characters can only ever develop during missions when they're guaranteed to be around, so spend a lot of time standing around with no opinions during the rest.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

disposablewords posted:

It's running into a stakes and scale issue again, too. It came up earlier on how between games the Terran Dominion in particular and the Koprulu Sector in general seem to have massively inflated in numbers. Everyone acting like there's at least an order of magnitude more settled planets and people than just four years ago. And also, we're now conflating this chunk of the galaxy with not just the entirety of the galaxy but suggestions of it being the entirety of the universe. Things has ramped up from the Zerg being a terrifying but basically local problem that could snowball into something greater to "no it's about literally everything now." The most important thing possible is happening here and it never manages to feel earned to me.

In fairness to Blizzard here, loving nobody gets this right. Solar systems, galaxies and the universe are all used randomly and interchangeably in so many works that take place in space. Some stuff even gets planets and moons wrong. It's not. That. Hard! to get right. It makes me cranky when something is described as spanning multiple galaxies, or the whole universe. It's dumb. So dumb...

(This might be a personal bugbear of mine...)

In other news, Nova can get in the bin.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
I know that Starlancer did have a thing where you could do poorly or even fail missions, and it would make subsequent missions harder until it would eventually just game over if you failed too much. I can't remember what kind of mechanism there was for reversing those failures, but given that I never finished it - and I did everything in the original X-Wing no matter how difficult - I guess it must have been pretty onerous.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
And that ties somewhat into my earlier rantette about the size of space and the interchangeability of its terms: a single galaxy on its own is almost incomprehensibly large, ruling/threatening/destroying one is so difficult to imagine.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

HannibalBarca posted:

I understand that Tychus is supposed to be a deep cover agent or whatever but "hijack your handlers' gigantic war mech and use it to attack their capital" is outrageously deep cover.

Tychus has got one job, and if wreaking havoc on the Dominion will get him closer to finishing that job, well, that's just a bonus for him. I don't think that Mengsk ever intended, or expected, for him to actually be any kind of intelligence asset, just a missile with a mouth. Of course, Mengsk didn't foresee the whole thing with the Tarsonis adjutant or with Raynor being quite so good at what he was doing. I'm not sure Tychus really thought it through either, who's going to keep up their end of the bargain if the Dominion and Moebius are wiped out. By the end of LotV, we know that Moebius are just a front for the Xel'naga and are pretty hard to actually get rid of, but Tychus definitely doesn't know that.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

Reminds me of a pretty great quote from the old Star Wars books:

That's... not entirely unfair, but it's not terrifically fair either. The Sith - and the whole galaxy in general - are way too fond of superweapons to the point where you can throw a stone and find one or the legacy of one. And Palpatine was fonder of them than most. The Empire put a lot of time and resources into them which of course all get wasted when the things get exploded. But... a lot of Palpatine's superweapons did exactly what they were supposed to do, and the ones that failed were often because of Jedi intervention of one sort of another. I'm not going to go beat by beat, but for example, the 'Nostril of Palpatine' that Han names is a reference to the 'Eye of Palpatine', an asteroid converted into a massive warship, which was only delayed - not even stopped - when a Jedi used the Force to put her spirit into its main computer. Not something you could necessarily have seen coming, even for a powerful Force user like Palpatine.

And the Empire didn't rely solely on those superweapons, they had an overwhelming fleet and army. An Imperial Star Destroyer was enough to single-handedly resolve nearly any situation, and they had 25,000 of them. Millions of smaller craft and fighters. So many Stormtroopers. The fact that the Rebellion managed to get anywhere is because Palpatine used the second Death Star as bait and drastically overestimated Vader's subservience to him.

There's also the fact that the two big turning points of the war in question were won using Imperial tactics. Wedge 'hit them with the Empire' and destroyed their best fleet and tactician with orbital bombardment and sacrificing as much materiel as needed, including a Super Star Destroyer. And in the same book as the Han quote, they lured the Vong into a trap by leaking the info that a meeting of the heads of what was left of the New Republic and the Empire were meeting, and then ambushed the Vong with an overwhelming fleet, right out of Palpatine's playbook.

(It's a cute quote, I do like it, but I'm also willing to *gestures upward* type all that.)

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

Kith posted:

I feel like if Vultures could be told to maintain a field of Spider Mines, they'd be a lot more popular in the campaign.

This, but for every RTS in existence.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
My memory of co-op was trying it out, failing a few times because I was new at it, being called all manner of names and slurs, and then never doing it again.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

All that said, they had a very easy out that they could have taken to keep things consistent - if there were simply zerg left behind when the Overmind moved to the Koprulu sector. Either then or after it died, they lost all control or structure and started multiplying and evolving rapidly. That the entire jungle is all zerg, no longer being kept geared toward being an effective army and just filling every possible ecological niche as a free-wheeling ecosystem. At least that would have been kind of cool.

That's a bit like Westwood were doing in Tiberian Sun and Firestorm, suggesting that the Tiberium wasn't just spreading green stuff everywhere, it was actively Tiberiumforming everything, new life forms were being created, new types of plants, animals and alge, mutating what was there into being able to survive and thrive alongside it, and it was very compelling.

Then EA changed it so that all the Tiberium was doing was making everything else into more Tiberium so that aliens could mine it and all the interesting storytelling went away.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

Xarn posted:

So much grinding for levels, I thought this was an RTS.

Tiberian Twilight says 'hi'. Among other, less fun, things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Even when it gets the scale wrong it's hosed up in other ways. 1,000 psykers a day to feed Big E over 10,000 years. 365.25 * 10,000 * 1,000 is only 3.6 billion. Honestly, the blood for the Golden Throne is loving PENNIES.

This one made me laugh the first time I worked it out. Like, even if you transposed that to present day, 1000 people a day between 8000 BCE and now, it's only 3% of the population over that time. More people are dying of Covid still than are sacrificed to the Astronomicon. It's one of my favourite statistics that just don't seem right, along with 1 million/1 billion seconds, and the birthday problem.