Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

BisbyWorl posted:

Haven exists in a quantum superpostion of infested and not until you side with someone, to make sure that the player never has to be in the wrong.

I'm generally much more forgiving about the writing faults in these games than most here, with the caveat that I never got around to playing HoTS or whatever the third part was titled, but this drove me crazy - instead of making me feel like my choice mattered it made me feel like it didn't matter whatsoever.

Also, shamefully, I picked Nova the first time through because I figured she was clearly the choice since there was a whole cancelled game about her that they'd draw plot from!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah. As a comparison, I'm sad that Pillars of Eternity never let my character aspire to apotheosis but it didn't change the fact that there was rarely a point where I felt like I was stuck taking an option I really didn't want (at least, not when I'd earned my poor options by my previous choices).

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

aniviron posted:

As bad as Kevin J. Anderson is I would still take him over SC2.

You don't have to hand it to ISIS, actually.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Calax posted:

The view I get from reading the thread is that a lot of the people involved are coming at it to tear it down.

What's interesting to me is that there's very few of those who say that the gameplay is anything less than solid. Which, y'know, is the most important thing about a game. By a significant amount.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, I did the air mission when I played this on release, and I missed out because this one looks like it rules.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Man, I'm gonna miss Tychus.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ah, so THIS is where the "in the rear with the gear" line was.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I don't know why I never got around to playing HOTS, I enjoyed SC2's campaign enough. And I remember seeing this opening trailer! How could I forget that backtracking siege tank and the cool as poo poo Valk getting hosed up? It's cool as hell!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'm just going to assume Kerrigan is lying about not being able to remember her Queen of Blades days.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

GIVE THE ZERGLING PETS, YOU MONSTER.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Jimmy probably should have gotten put up against the wall and shot by the Dominion, I'm not seeing an in universe reason why you'd keep a guy like that alive any longer than it took to interrogate him for whatever information you could wring from him.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

OTOH, there’s no way that they would have been able to extract all of the intel that they would have loved to pump him for in only a few hours, like who his potential collaborators are, how much of the prophecy he knows, what the password was for Tychus’ communal Space Netflix account…

Agreed, but on the third hand this series has always played extremely fast and loose with time and distance for the sake of narrative ease. Like, those dinky little dropships have enough gas in their tanks to go from Umoja to Char?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I have a feeling this game won't delve into being the baddies in a well reasoned and potentially interesting manner.

Seems like a fun mission, tho.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'm going to guess at 8 Essences per mission + 2 per intermission so however much that is for how many missions we have left.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

JohnKilltrane posted:

Still kinda salty about how this game did Hydras dirty. Yes, BW-style Hydras that are Hatch tech and I ly one supply would be ludicrously busted with SC2's pathing, lack of selection limit, and other mechanical differences, but as a Zerg player I gotta ask: would that be so bad? "Oh no, Terran and Protoss could never defeat Zerg!" Yeah not really seeing a downside here, guys.

Wanted to say this as well. I miss my huge hydralisk swarms.

I'm guessing the plot gives Kerrigan a pass on actually being a baddie instead of treating her like an actual villain protagonist?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Man, this game has such a lackadaisical plot to go with what seem like really great ideas for missions.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Man, the characterization of Kerrigan is all over the fuckin' place. It's capital B bad writing.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Kerrigan is just rejecting the sunk cost fallacy that says if she's in for a penny of war crimes she's in for a pound of war crimes.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I never realized that a baneling was supposed to be larger than a human in power armor. Yeesh, that's terrifying.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I also underestimated Zergling and Hydralisk sizes, too, so I'm clearly going to be astounded by how much bigger an Ultralisk is supposed to be than a person.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Er, is that the whole unit post?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Poor Abby Ration.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Essence

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I missed Sexy Alexei.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, the game seems like so much fun and it's a shame the writing let it down.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I can only imagine the posting on Koprulu sector CSPAM and D&D during the Zerg invasions that Kerrigan orders.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ok, so what's the deal with those two crazy kids?

Also, when 40k actually gets scale right it's terrifying. Thousands of massive transport ships landing every minute to feed the trillions of people on a hive world, and if there's a minor disruption millions starve to death. They very rarely do get the scale right, though.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 10, 2024

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

titty_baby_ posted:

The earth is 510 million sq km, with about 148 million sq km being land. The population density of earth currently is like 58 people/sq km, and the population density of this 40 billion people world would be 200 people/sq km. I don't think his scale is off for "crowded planet".

I recall one point in the first Foundation book where a character takes an elevator a mile under the surface because Trantor is built both up and down. Our tallest habitable buildings top out at like 600m, or about 1/3rd a mile. It's more than just a "crowded" planet, it's a planet where the volume of the buildings are an order of magnitude greater than midtown Manhattan. Current predictions for the latter half of the 21st century has the global population peaking around 11b, and we're still gonna have vast swathes of empty land even in highly populated nations like India and China.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Psykers are apparently 1 for every 1 million. Imperium population is reckoned to be 4-8 QUADRILLION. If you use those numbers to estimate births per day, you're still in the realm of "it's a rounding error." Like, pick 1,000 out of the 256 billion psykers born today.

Jedi have this same problem in Star Wars, actually. The first number I find is 0.0081% of the galactic population is force sensitive. The next number I find is 100 quadrillion sentient beings in the galaxy. That's 810 trillionforce sensitives.

People REALLY aren't build for dealing with astronomical and quantum scales.

edit number i don't remember: I think. I'm not built for large numbers either and all the zeroes are blending together.

Yeah, Holy Terra has trillions of people on it. You can keep the Astronomicon and the Golden Throne stocked with just the psykers born in one of the regions of the Palace.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I really like the art book, and not just for the seen it all veteran marine adding commentary. That wouldn't work nearly as well without the clinical but not always accurate descriptions of the units themselves. Also, drat, I'm half tempted to play the true-scale mod with just a bioball so I can see all the big bois in their full glory instead of scaled down for gameplay purposes.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

All Elites is a fun style to play when it works right.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

They're two different things, even if both lead to the end of a game. Rage quitting is not great because you could very well still be in a recoverable state. There's value to learning to persevere even when you're in a rough spot, regardless of it being just a video game. Moreover, disconnecting instead of conceding back in early battle.net days would IIRC not count as a win/loss, so you're denying a victory to your opponent. Also, if you're saying nasty poo poo to the other person it's not in any way good, you're just being a jerk. OTOH, calmly realizing when you're comprehensively beaten and giving a gg as you concede is good sportsmanship.

As a kid playing OG SC and BW most of my PVP was in FFA rather than head to head, I was not very good and could not do micro at all but I got reasonably good at macro for all species. I don't recall disconnecting much if at all, or even conceding that often, because in a FFA if you're not coming in second there's value to staying in and hurting your killer's chances of winning by holding them off for as long as possible. I also liked the Starship Troopers maps where your entire goal was to last as long as possible against an infinite horde of Zerg.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

Know the difference between Ragequitting, and accepting that you're in a position where you can no longer reasonably win, and bowing out gracefully.

Basically, are you Alt-F4-ing, or GG-ing?

Exactly, this is much more pithily put than I did.

e: And so as not to triple post, Jesus Christ non-cinematic mode Kerrigan must have retained some Zerg spinal reinforcement mutations to be able to lug those cans around.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Nah.

Mengsk couldn't have been prepared for this because how was he to know that there even were non-hive mind Zerg. Meanwhile, Kerrigan was aware that Mengsk would try to pull something like this, which is part of why she had non-hive mind Zerg in her back pocket for when Mengsk used some psi-disruptor based tech. This part of the plot actually coheres and no one is holding the idiot ball. Instead, the problem lies with how Kerrigan ended up on Zerus in the first place. Make that work, and it's just Mengsk getting outfoxed despite having a pretty solid plan.

Also, this mission seems like hella fun to actually play.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

God could you imagine if we got that and they killed one of the few cool characters we've seen here.

Guy just wants to mess with evolution, let him cook.

I can't see how it'd have worked without major edits, either. Abathur doesn't have free will, it's not that they're "just following orders" - Abathur was made so that they couldn't do anything but follow orders. It makes Kerrigan more of a monster when you're trying so hard to soften her edges. I think going full edgelord with an anti-hero Kerrigan would have had it's own massive pitfalls for the quality of writing Blizzard was capable of and the fact that this was a standalone release, but it really doesn't work if you're trying to redeem her as a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

A failed attack where the Psi-Destroyer crushes the Zerg invasion would have been very useful in some ways but would set Mengsk up to look like a dummy when he's invariably like "you know how this goes Kerrigan" and doesn't have any additional ideas once his previously successful tactic fails. OTOH, it foregrounds Mengsk as the villain and gives him more screentime/more reason for the player to hate him.