Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Human Kerrigan got quite a bit whiter between games. Well, that or Raynor uses a very questionable filter on his paper photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

Wait, that was supposed to be a bad scream? I always thought it sounded like a dude going "YEEEEEEEAAAAAAH!"
Right? Especially with the weirdly cheerful music.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So, Medics lost their flash grenades for SC2? The manual seems to mention them...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Felinoid posted:

I gotta admit, I would eat up a scene where Raynor delivers the killshot while saying "Goodbye, Sarah." in a healing sort of way.
The sad part is the game is leading up to that pretty well all the way until the deus ex machina shows up like three missions from the end. And that's the moment this game's story nosedives right into poo poo and doesn't come back up.

Hell, you could go a lot more interesting with "the prophecied savior is dead, what the hell do we do now and the slow realization that prophecies are just a load of rubbish or ancient propaganda anyway and we don't need no Chosen Ones" than what we actually get.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 14, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They aren't really all-rounders in SC1, though. From what little I remember of the multiplayer (and I have no doubt the meta has moved on and on since then), their ground attack is basically a little bonus you get to your super long range anti-air.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It also makes Terran games really, really boring to watch.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Prophecies are almost always Bad Storytelling, at least when played straight.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SIGSEGV posted:

We should stab Tosh in the back because I want to see how the game justifies stabbing him in the back, which is going to be infinitely more instructive in the bad writing department than merely playing nice.
They want you to stab Tosh so obviously I went with him out of sheer bloody-mindedness in my playthrough.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Even the prophecy, as lazy a device as it is, doesn't necessarily kill the story - you could always have Raynor go "screw it", kill Kerrigan (which would have the added bonus of him not going through a massive character retcon from SC1 to 2) and leave the galaxy left in a state of uncertainty that could build a proper atmosphere of a doomed battle against fate itself and a gradual discovery that prophecies can be misenterpreted or straight-up bullshit.

I'd argue this game's story still has stakes at this point and it wouldn't be so hard to turn it in a more interesting direction - until a certain deus ex machina character shows up near the end. That character's appearance is what, for me, killed any potential the story might've had and removed any interest in its further developments. Hell, I haven't even played LotV but am decently sure I can predict how it's gonna go.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

Who's that?
Mengsk Junior.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
We don't go to Haven.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Banshees are an awesome unit, easily my favorite in the Terran roster. They have one job and they do it extremely well.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This sequence is where the game's story definitely lost me. Up to now, you could still reasonably hope for an interesting finale, with Raynor torn between killing Kerrigan and letting her get away with her atrocities "for the greater good" but lo and behold, here's Mengsk ex machina, you can have your cake and eat it.
I didn't mind the retcons, I didn't mind the prophecies (I think I mentioned a few ways of how those could be worked around before) but this was the last straw and the moment I completely lost interest in the campaigns.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Has any battlecruiser in any SC game ever had plasma torpedoes? And even then why would it be launching them from such an incompetent location?
IIRC that was a concept they toyed with before release - the idea was that every Battlecruiser you built could pick between having the Yamato cannon or a plasma torpedo battery AoE ground attack.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Warmachine posted:

Considering I remember nothing about his personality beyond has a Russian/generically Eastern European accent, I'm perfectly fine with him in SC2. Honestly, I'm interested for the LP to get to HotS because I generally felt 'fine' about it and actively enjoyed Zerus. The poo poo parts are pretty dogwater, but like... it's nothing I wasn't expecting by the time I actually played it.
I think most people's problem with the spoilered place is that it completely retcons stuff established about Zerg in the first game to a much less interesting story.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm left-handed and now I feel guilty by association.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JohnKilltrane posted:

Come to think of it, it's also maybe something they ran into with the Narud thing. Like, in universe, yeah, for someone to make a connection that "Hey, Narud is Duran spelled backwards, this old white scientist dude must be that lieutenant from a few years back, just in a different body" would be completely off the wall. Like that is moon man talk, it's a completely unhinged theory that no character could rattle off without sounding like Koprulu Alex Jones. But it's still something that's pretty obvious to the player.
Except you've got this character who knows what Duran is up to and he shows up in the game and even meets Raynor to warn him specifically of the hybrid threat.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sanguinia posted:

I think that would be a lot more fair of a potential criticism of the scene if Jim's plot arc in the last game wasn't about giving up revenge.
It wasn't, though. His revenge drive got retconned instead and WoL Raynor is a completely different character from how he was at the end of BW.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Was that an arc or simply Valerian showing up with "we need to do this right NOW instead" and Raynor going "Okay"?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

in that last scene is nova running around an active combat zone with a bare midriff and thighs or does her model just have some poorly chosen colours
Colors, but it's really not much better - Raynor gets marine armor and Kerrigan and Nova run around in skintight bodysuits.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's especially insulting if you're a Zerg player because their units are actually really fun - the missions just don't let them shine as they should.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I always interpreted that line as "whatever lifeform we infest, whatever shape we take, we're still Zerg" (=subservient to the Overmind).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This area is also where Blizzard stopped putting any care into naming their characters, instead opting for the WoW-style "let's pull a mythological name out of a hat and maybe alter a letter". Amon? Egyptian god. Zurvan? Persian god.

e: VVV Warhammer knows it's silly, though. Blizzard is playing it straight.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 4, 2024

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like the brood lords because they're very thematic in being a perfectly sensible evolution of an SC1 unit. What if guardians but more.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like that Stukov is reminiscing about DuGalle... Who died because of Kerrigan. In a better story, that would foreshadow betrayal.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think Isza points out one of my bigger issues with this story: it's not about the Zerg, all the Zerg characters are minor and in the background. This is a Terran game played with Zerg units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Deformed Church posted:

Yeah, although I kind of get it - hive minds as a concept are fixed to having essentially one perspective, and it's very difficult to write a story about only one character. You'd either have to introduce non hive mind zerg (like Stukov, and the Primals, which have both made the thread very angry by their mere existence), or you're left with subordinate cerebrates/queens who can quip and chatter but the premise requires them to either have no real agency or to get stomped on immediately.

I think the best solution might have been to have Kerrigan run into more resistance re-uniting the swarm - perhaps in her weakened state she's not capable of dominating in the same way and needs to force smaller groups to join up, although that might get repetitive if you make too much of the game about it.
There was a perfectly intriguing character in the Overmind. Hell, you wouldn't even have to get rid of the idiotic Xel'Naga stuff, just make Kerrigan gradually discover this is something the Overmind was planning for as opposed to handing her the prophecy - and then make her question whether the Swarm can be made to be more than just a weapon for the upcoming war and struggling to make it so. Basically the opposite of the current story where the Swarm literally is just a weapon used in Terran infighting.