Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I wonder if the Ghost unit ever had shields at some point in development.

Anyway, hey, it's the Archangel. May as well be a battlecruiser on Odin legs. It was a pretty neat fight as far as a first boss goes. Way different from anything in Wings; at the time I recall thinking of this mission as "ah, Blizzard is drawing from the MOBA crowd now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

It's 200

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Gonna go with a nice round 300 Essences

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Kith posted:

Also, now that we've got some Evolution Missions under our belt,

Fun Fact: All of the Zerg units were intended to get Evolution variants, even the weird side cases like Aberrations. However, making all of the model variants for the Evolution Missions taxed the hell out of the art team, so a bunch were cut for reasons of cost.

Would that include drones?

Sounds silly but there are a few variations of how to handle vespene harvesting in campaign and co-op so I can see it.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Zeratul does mention that "here the Dark One altered them" and some were "left behind"

Which leaves the possibility open that the Primal Zerg are at least partially the result of experimentation. Hell they could be a control group. (No, not the hotkey kind)

Can't recall if that's contradicted later.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Omobono posted:

Aren't the free ones just Jim, Kerri and Artanis?

Fake edit: a random Talandar also didn't have the purchase button on my account? But Jimmy, Kerri and Artanis otherwise.
E2: seriously why the gently caress do I have Talandar? Haven't spent a dime on SC2 after getting Heart way back when.

Same here, but not so for my friend who only has Wings.

At some point they gave him away as an anniversary thing, if what I searched online is right, and I'm guessing that only applied to folks who owned at least one expac somehow? Hard to say.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Aces High posted:

how can you tell if you have those bonus commanders unlocked, I never bought Legacy of the Void, but I did buy WoL, HotS and Remastered (and never really checked out Co-op until this LP)

If you go into the Co-op menu and click on a commander, there will be a "Purchase" button near the bottom if you do not own them.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

In theory a single larva is all they'd need to munch on, since those contain the whole catalogue of the Swarm Zerg's designs.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

"Who asked you?"

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Hearth of the Stone

E: ah right they did that joke too

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 12, 2024

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Huh, I really thought the last guy on the list did but I must be confusing that with the campaign mod for that.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Baneling Host

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

It's mostly a creep-spread tutorial. That and one of few chances to make a defensive burrow relevant in casual play.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Is the guy who delivers the snack bars to the military base a valid target

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

"Further splits invariably result in acidic fluids of limited sentience."

So, wait, the dissipating pool of slime on the floor after you melt someone is, to some degree, able to sense? And given how zerg are, it's more than likely the rest... feel it too?

Criminy why do they let these things pop up

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

BisbyWorl posted:

The Ultralisk is the final unit to show up in the Evolution Chamber.

This angle on the Ultralisk really makes them look like the masc equivalent of Swarm Queens.

BisbyWorl posted:

>Talk to Stukov.

Stukov is a big fan of the Sonic series.

Poor guy

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 31, 2024

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Please do not bayonet charge a Baneling

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

bunnyofdoom posted:

Am I correct that from the unit picture, Mira's fighters are robots, and as such you kill much fewer of her men then it appears?

Given that we are indicated to be using automated fighters in this mission, and Mira complains about the destruction of fully-automated bases, that pretty much seals the case that, yeah, this is almost completely a robot v robot battle.

Not sure about the battlecruisers, though.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

"Conviction" indeed

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I'm led to understand she would object, having claimed "I *am* the swarm" on multiple occasions, as opposed to just being a component.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

BisbyWorl posted:

There's just one problem here:

Kerrigan just so happens to have some hive mind-free zerg on hand to effortlessly take it down, when Mengsk has zero possible way to even think such a thing was possible! This is the first time the primal zerg have been allowed to do anything in the field aside from Drop Pods, and there's a 50/50 chance Korhal is the first time you can even use that. Mengsk has been screwed from the moment we went to Zerus, and he didn't even know it.

Blame Zeratul('s new writing direction). It's not completely out of nowhere, we did go to Zerus- and pick up a number of other approaches to the swarm besides- explicitly to "evolve" beyond Brood War or De-Infested Kerrigan.

It just so happens that one of those stuck. Turns out having a black ops mini-swarm helps a lot. Could just as easily have been that super-Infested Terran sleeper agents would be the key to a victory, in another circumstance. Sadly, it's not Stukov's time to shine anymore.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Did you know that when you enlist, your sentence will be reduced by more than half? It's true*!

Earthsplitters are great. No notes.

The Emperor's Shadow Pyro and EMP abilities can at least be set to autocast. They do good work in that way. Otherwise, yeah, way too much effort.

Sky Furies are pretty neat if you build up a force of them, they zip around the map quite nicely and tear through most enemies safely. Shame there's so little air in most co-op.

Oh, and trivia: kills visually dealt by Shock Divisions while picked up by Intercessors count as the Intercessor's kills. Funny to see for a Medivac variant. Still, again, anti-air only.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Oh, and speaking of trooper costs, the "I could get a lot for this gun" guy really shouldn't consider how that gun is worth 4 times his own life.

Or maybe he should, idk

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I'm sure he'd be fine

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

This one always felt like a mission gimmick that was seeking a story, and the latter got put off until real late.

Anyway, I never actually knew about the prologue until years later. I just jumped right into the main expansion whenever it released in full. Not sure how missable it was on the UI at the time.
Not much a loss though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I've never been impressed with Tempests, any version of 'em. Feels like a unit built exclusively for taking down static defenses- and if you're so constrained that you can't take that kind of fight, then you're just asking for your tempest to swiftly get shot down along with its surprisingly massive hunk of resource cost.