Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Marauders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

The Lost Viking is a pun about an older game by Blizzard (or its predecessor) with othrer cameo that appear when clicking on a Viking unit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Vikings

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Chillgamesh posted:

Yeah, SC1 Terran was a cool pessimistic sci-fi faction where everything is run down and lovely, except for the well-protected imperial core on Tarsonis or the command decks of the big shots from the UED. Then SC2 Terran is just 40k and Firefly slapped together by someone who really, really likes Rob Liefield. They're still kinda cool, especially with some of the campaign units the LP hasn't shown off yet, but imo ramshackle SC1 Terran is a lot better art-wise.

Well, Andy Chambers, one of the Lead Story Writers for Starcraft II, woked for years for Games Workshop as a writer for both rules and lore.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Siege Tanks are a classic.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Calax posted:

If Memory serves, the cutscene that plays at the start of this level featured in a LOT of the initial promo materials for the game.

Exactly.

When it appeared i wad redacting a list of "My Top 10 VideoGame Villains!" for another forum, and after the ending of Brood Wars, Kerrigan had a lot of possibilities of ending on the top of the list. But, when this come out, il was clear that the caustic, manipulative and ruthless "queen bitch of the galaxy" was gone and Kerrigan seemed to have fallen in a depression spell, waiting for destruction as some sort of deliverance.
So I put her out only ad an "honorable mention", waitnng for the game to come out, and we know what happened then...

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Fajita Queen posted:

Let's get the protoss stuff over with in one swoop imo, that way we can be done with the awful retcons and character butchery and won't have it hanging over our heads for the rest of the LP. Stare at the rock a few more hours.

Agree.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

biosterous posted:

the sooner we finish the protoss missions, the sooner i can forget about them

My thought exactly.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

are you pondering what I'm pondering?

That we have to end this the sooner? YES.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

BlazetheInferno posted:

Honestly, I tend to leave Hanson's stuff till later simply because she will continue to have commentary after every mission, and even though I know what she says, it's just force of habit to try and dig out as much extra dialogue as I can.

I say we go an' bust open New Folsom! Ain't no better way to piss off Mengsk!
I agree

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Kith posted:

As part of an army, Spectres are better by a very wide margin. Stuns have offensive and defensive utility and can shut down very dangerous units that Snipe is not capable of killing. While they don't get the increased vision range that Ghosts do, you're practically guaranteed to have Scanner Sweep available at all times, so that doesn't actually matter.

That, and Nova is a potential knife that Mengsk would be able to plunge in our backs any given time.
Tosh.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

From now on, if I'm not wrong, Tosh should also regale us with music in the cantina, at regular times.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Slaan posted:

Get Jimmy his bikes back!

DonVincenzo posted:

Clearly it's time to reunite the lovers.

Both. Both of this.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

BisbyWorl posted:

This is word-for-word from the end of Terran 08: The Big Push, albeit redone with new voice actors for Duke and Kerrigan. Mengsk and Jim sound like they directly pulled their lines from SC1.

And just to make it even more damning for Mengsk, it caught the exact moment he went full mask off.

Frankly, I fail to see how such a registration could be dangerous: the tecnological level should be advanced enough to allow audio-video registration to be virtually indistinguishable from the original: probly audio and video proof would be unusable as legal proof in court.

TBH, right now deepfake and AI technolocy are so advanced that I fear such moment could be not so far for us.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Warmachine posted:

I kinda like the hollow victory depressed Kerrigan idea. It doesn't even need to be that elaborate--it works fine without needing to change much else about her because the most believable part is that someone who is wondering what the point of it all is, now that there's no pressing crisis to draw her attention, would absolutely withdraw inward and not do much. And because the Zerg is a hive mind, her mental state makes the rest of the swarm lethargic, giving the Terrans and Protoss breathing room until something (the Xel'Naga/Mengsk) starts presenting a crisis again and gives her an external motivator.

It's a cool idea based in some well-trod mental health topics, which means Blizzard absolutely doesn't have the chops to implement it. :v:

Yes.
The last time we hear her in Brood Wars, is in the legendary "I'm pretty much the Queen Bitch of the Universe" speech. Her next appearance is in the sequel, leading her minions in a campaign of destruction, clearly in order to finish what she started years before...
Then the Zeratul cutscene, and we hear the voice of a tired , post caring individual waiting for the apocalypse.

The grat problem of the series was the transition from the first game to the second: it lacked a vision from the beginning, they were remoulding the subject along the way.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

We got the large mech, now we need the small, transforming mechs

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

BlazetheInferno posted:

I'm pretty sure a sniper just took out that camera.

Seriously though, Mengsk seriously cracks under scrutiny here. This is a far cry from the man who was so good at keeping his cool that a Class Twelve Psionic Telepath couldn't read his true intentions.

The stress of micromanaging an empire could be taking its toll...
One of the great problem of this cutscenes is that they are not in a chronological order, so you have the pro Mengsk reporter having a crisis one moment and then, the next mission, he's still spouting propaganda.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

BisbyWorl posted:

Nah that's memeing. Zeratul is a touch over 600.

Considering his speech to the Conclave on Aiur, he seems to be a LOT older than 600
" You speak of knowledge, Judicator? You speak of experience? I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities... Unto my experience, Aldaris, all that you've built here on Aiur is but a fleeting dream. A dream from which your precious Conclave shall awaken, finding themselves drowned in a greater nightmare."

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Haven. It's Viking time!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Air superiority seesms to be the logical way to go.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Nostalgamus posted:

Warfield wearing full marine armor isn't that unusual, General Duke had a similar getup in SC1:

Considering that Warfield is a replacement for Duke, a substitute, this is not surprising at all.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

JackSplater posted:

It absolutely does, according to one of the books.

In fact a lot of the narrative problematics we made evident in this thread would be reduced if we wrer to consider the side material like novels, comics and so.
But HOW MANY bought such material? Not a lot, I'd say...

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

MiddleOne posted:

Kerrigan is comically evil and sadistic in this mission.

While being in absolute denial and labelling her actions as "Necessary Evil"; actions that really can be considered her "Moral Event Horizon".

Seriously, what the... were the writers trying to accomplish, here?

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

One thing perplexes me: in the WoL mission "The Moebius factor", Kerrigan says "I've seen through your Dr. Narud's pathetic charade, I know what the artifacts really are, and I won'

When I heard this sentence, it convinced me that Kerrigan knew the truth about Duran/Nadur, but in fact she knew nothing aboiut him. Was it a red herring or another miscommunication between the developing theam?

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Zomborgon posted:

Stukov is a big fan of the Sonic series.

Poor guy
It is probably a reference to an old SF Story, "The Green Hills of Earth", by R. A. Heinlein

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Green_Hills_of_Earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Sometimes I find myself elucubrating about this fire dupster of a story. Could have thing be better with Kerrigan discovering that the artifact has in the end separated her from the Queen of Blades, her Zerg part, and finding herself tryng to netralize her doppleganger before a new zerg horde is released?
With her as a more powerful Ghost but not so overwhelming as she ended to be, learnng to capturing units fron the enemies and using them?