Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
I don't understand why use Mar Sara. I mean, anybody who remembered it also (probably) recalled it was nuked from orbit. Ain't getting nostalgia points from a blunt retcon, y'know?

quote:

Mengsk can only control you if you let him
You always have the option of facing a firing squad!

quote:

they're digging aliens artifacts
Do unexploded Protoss bombs from five years ago count as artifacts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Szarrukin posted:

Oh, that's why I was so sure SC1 Magistrate = Matt Horner

In fairness, so did everyone, 'cept the ones actually writing this thing.
In contrast to Matt being a logical choice to be magistrate (and isn't), the canon protoss players got it in reverse - it makes absolute no sense that Artanis's the executor, yet he is.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Szarrukin posted:

Blizzard surely loves their Jamaican stereotypes. I wonder if they managed to put one in Diablo.

I think so?

PurpleXVI posted:

Outside of the box art, I can only really find one time where we see Kerrigan as something other than a tiny, crusty sprite prior to Starcraft 2. About the only parts of her that still look remotely human are the legs, hands and face, everything else is more insecty chitin than anything.

There's also the campaign select from brood war:

(I could have sworn she was barefooted, but without high hills.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Synastren posted:

There are two fundamental changes between BW and SC2 that make Terran bio significantly better:
1) You can have more than 12 units in a control group.
2) Pathfinding is indescribably so much better.

You can have 40 marines and medics on one control group (and they even added an "All Army" key if you don't want to use control groups!), and amove around. As long as you know some basic micro tricks (e.g., don't walk your marines into a big AoE zone; don't just move command into the enemy), Terran bio is basically the best all-around composition that is fairly simple to produce and control in all of SC2.

This is true even current professional multiplayer. Late game fights are pretty complex, but the composition doesn't change from its core.

ed: This thread got me to try to polish off the campaign achievements. Let's see if I can get through them all. Except 500k Lost Viking, gently caress that one.

Looking at your user text account, I'll like a second opinion, here.
:P

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Maybe we, the players, should have met Nova beforehand (in this game, mind, and not in some cancelled game), preferably doing us a solid, so there would be a reason to listen to her. Just spitballing here.
Aside from that - picking Tosh will lead him to stay, right? And thus, more conversations, while Nova doesn't stay to chat.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

inflatablefish posted:

Guys I think it's immensely disrespectful to the source material for us to not go Full Horny Dumbass.

Starcraft 2 ain't giving much respect to it's source material, either.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

Early poll this time, my AC6 collectors edition is finally coming in tomorrow and I want to have as much out of the way as possible for that.

Enjoy your mech-ing!

bladededge posted:

It'd be funny to see just how long we can put it off though.
Can we just straight up abandon 'em?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
You'll think that the kill switch means Tychus is being monitored, so his handlers will know when to flip it. Considering that no order to give the odin an extra inspection was given, apparently not.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Dunno, but "having a killswitch" is a very good reason to go "I am altering the deal" as much as you could, no?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Theory - Protoss have probes handle the mining stuff, and the probes can't be trusted with teleporting gas. Meanwhile, the auto refinery do require someone at the base to make sure nothing explodes - and as far as the protoss are concerned, this is a waste of staff that could be better used elsewhere.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Shouldn't it be a proper thread vote?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Even if Hanson fails her shot, we can still purge the colony after. They're worth that one last chance.
...'cept that given how long we took, it's probably 120% zerg by mass.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
...Are her glasses still on?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Ain't Selendis supposed to be the canon BW executor? Why is she talking like she only heard of Raynor, when they fought side by side?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Aces High posted:

Personally, I think all games should approach their voice acting like Legacy of Kain did

How did that series approached their voice acting?
Edit: also, in addition to the orb pondering be bad writing, the two other "okay, this is stupid" plot points in SC2 are (IMHO) the choices you get - Haven could be fine, if reality didn't rewrite itself to make you right; and in Tosh/Nova case, you shouldn't put a totally new character who works for your enemy against a trusty ally (you could salvage that by meeting Nova earlier, her being a friend who we owe a solid to, and we know she got her own agenda, and isn't loyal to the dominion)

Gun Jam fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 17, 2023

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

aniviron posted:

It's always so weird to me that the commanders are ground units in this game. This is an SC1 problem too, to be fair; though the severity varies. I did like that SC1 ramped up the ante with heroes - Raynor climbs the entire terran tech tree until he's important enough to be a battlecruiser. No such luck for Warfield, though he's cutscene-only. I sorta assumed he'd be more like Duke or Mengsk where he doesn't get his hands dirty at all or if he does it's in an overwhelming vehicle.

In fairness, Warfield used to be in a battlecruiser - 'till it got shot down.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Congratulations!

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Remember the start of the Terran campaign, where Raynor was like "let's kick this revolution into overdrive" all movie-trailer style?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

You’re going to have to be more specific, that’s like all of WoL’s cutscenes.

Part of my point - but in this case, it's like the first one with him. The one where he shoots a television screen.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
So, instead of "I'm gonna get Mengsk!" she was at the start of the game, she's now "I'm really gonna get Mengsk"?

Cythereal posted:

There's a somewhat infamous review of Heart of the Swarm by one of the gaming news outlets that called attention to this cutscene, and the reviewer said that when they hit this point, his eight year old daughter who had been watching him play went "Daddy, isn't the bad guy just making that up to hurt her?"

12. One of my advisors will be an average five-year-old child. Any flaws in my plan that he is able to spot will be corrected before implementation. -- the evil overlord list.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Y'know how if a word is being repeated so often, it's stop sounding like a word?
It's called Semantic satiation (I can never, for the life of me, remember that term).

We'll hit that before this mission chain will end, I'm guessing.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait if they had these teleporters to Shakuras why not just a send a single scout through to contact them?

'Cause the Protoss be are like space elves, and as we saw in wc3, elves gotta have a proper invite with a officially appointed messenger, or they just won't listen.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

Also, why the hell is no one coming to check on Lasarra? At the very least you'd think they would send someone to see if she's alright.
You know how in Alien, they should have listened to Ripley?
Here, they ain't even got a Ripley.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Have you tried turning the Kerrigan off and on again?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

I feel like one thing that makes Kerrigan a bit less interesting as a character in HOTS is that Raynor had to deal with a bunch of, supposedly, equals, who could tell him he was being a moron or disagree with him.

Kerrigan's surrounded by a bunch of psychically dominated thralls and yes-creatures, so there's no real... conversations going on? No one ever challenges her in any way or forces her to explain herself or anything.

Mind, in sc1 they did had someone to disagree with (Kerrigan, funnily enough) - and in bw, she had both Duran (not actually loyal) and a whole bunch of non-zerg people to backstab have spirited debate with.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Kith posted:

can confirm that abathur is an absolute motherfucker in HOTS

amusingly enough a lot of what he does in HOTS was ported into co-op as well
How many work in blizzard, and how come none of them said "maybe we shouldn't have two games with the same, uncommon acronym"?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Only Abathur's allowed to do that!

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Have they explained/will explain why they resurrected & infested Stukov, specifically? Like, what does he bring to the zerg table?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

bladededge posted:

At least it's equal opportunity bad writing. SC2 isn't consistent with SC1, but Heart isn't consistent with Wings either so it's fine(?)

The thing that sticks out to me most right now, SC1 vs SC2, is that I really get the sense that in SC2 every faction not on screen isn't actually doing anything. Nothing happens if it doesn't happen in a mission.

What was Kerrigan's actual motivation and goal during Wings? Nothing except those two times she was on screen, the zerg weren't otherwise doing anything. What are the Protoss who aren't Zeratul up to? Apparently nothing, they are neither fighting Duran or the Zerg. This "golden armada" is just sitting on their thumbs back home. What is Valerian and the Dominion up to now that mission 1 is over? Sitting around passively being targets. What's Matt Horner & co. doing to move the status quo in the sector while Kerrigan is doing some Villain Stuff? *Shrug*.

The universe of sc2 is just weirdly static.

Maybe it would be better served the story if instead of 3 big campaigns, you had each part contain 3 regular campaigns, one for each race.
Like (if you try and keep the basic story intact), wings could be Zeratul finding what's going on, Kerrigan assault on the dominion, Raynor trying to save Kerrigan, for example.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Remember when Kerrigan was all about manipulating her enemies and backstabs?
Good times.

BisbyWorl posted:

And then Abathur just straight up revives the dead Ultralisk.

He will never do this again.

Remember the Torrasque? It happened before, sorta.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

bunnyofdoom posted:

Am I correct that from the unit picture, Mira's fighters are robots, and as such you kill much fewer of her men then it appears?

Yeah. So we could have a fun fight with friends without the horrors of people actually dying (like so!)
Don't ask what this fully automated war machine says about terran tech, this would require taking this mission seriously.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Good think the guards/Mengsk didn't decide to just shoot Raynor in the head the moment the swarm began its assault.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

GunnerJ posted:

Maybe -1 Kerrigan level per death?
Just means you restart if she dies.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Remember how in brood wars, Mengsk got out-outmaneuvered by Kerrigan, and when he (and two other factions!) tried to just butt head with her she overpowered them?
I don't think this game does.

But anyhow, congrats BisbyWorl, another one down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
This feels like it was written for WOL Kerrigan.
I mean, didn't we just had a moment where she went "okay, I'll try and not kill civilians on my way"?