Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Tenebrais posted:

Blizzard seemed really determined to ignore everything that happened in Brood War besides the character deaths.

Pretty much. The UED especially got sort of memory-holed as an old shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

the last lost viking achievement was the only one I was never able to get. sigh...

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Warfield is one of the funniest examples of "remember this guy everyone knows?" in the whole franchise.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

How much SC1/SC2 EU stuff exists outside of the games, anyway? I assume smaller volumes than for Warcraft.

Much smaller. There were a handful of tie-in novels and such released after Brood War but the EU engine didn't really get revved up until a year or two prior to SC2. There's been a respectable amount of novels, short stories, and comics since then, but nothing on the scale of Warcraft from what I can tell.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, the (tosh route): other ghost isn't even a former dominion ghost. It's literally your enemy telling you tosh is totes a bad guy, and you should help her instead. Jim does zero research, and that is the complete extent of the information he acts on.

The funny thing is that no matter which option you pick, reality wrenches itself into place to make your choice the morally and logically correct one.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Some of the most well-designed American Civil War games I've played were Brood War custom maps :v:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

I understand that Tychus is supposed to be a deep cover agent or whatever but "hijack your handlers' gigantic war mech and use it to attack their capital" is outrageously deep cover.

EDIT: really this entire set-up makes zero sense, and I've had a problem with it since the game launched. the entire research base is destroyed but they just nonchalantly transport the Odin to Korhal with zero questions asked? I seriously don't get what's supposed to be happening here.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 23, 2023

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

When and where did Kerrigan kill eight billion people exactly? The Overmind was calling the shots for Starcraft, and it seems the UED would have been the ones causing most of the havoc in Brood War.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Aces High posted:

I see a manga for Starcraft and I think "nope, that was a loving terrible idea for Warcraft, and it's just as terrible here. It doesn't exist"

"Why We Fight" wasn't bad. Haven't touched any of the other stuff though.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

the Protoss really do take the destruction of dozens of their capital ships in stride here huh

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

so was Valerian just able to pass a persuade check to get the Dominion's most prominent military leader and half the fleet to bum-rush Char with him?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

is there ever any lore explanation, hand-wavey or otherwise, for why de-zerging kerrigan in WoL doesn't seem to have done anything in terms of removing her ability to control the zerg? was it purely an aesthetic change?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Roaches were the bane of my existence in WoL multiplayer

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

This mission really does wonders for completely neutering the Dominion as a threat. Their best general is a totally incompetent boob!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

is Raynor having a psychic kid ever mentioned in the games themselves, or is that relegated to tie-in media that maybe 5% of players have read/are aware of?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

The Chad Jihad posted:

I liked mengsk more than kerrigan

Same. He's a Space Fascist and all that but gently caress me it was nice having a character that actually seemed to exist in a simulacrum of the "real world" while it lasted. We're all aboard the stupid PROPHECY OF DOOOOOOM poo poo until the end now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

LotV is definitely the campaign I've replayed the least, although tbf I can't confidently declare that's due to its intrinsic qualities (though I did find it kind of tedious) as opposed to to the fact that, unlike for WoL and HotS, LOTV came out after I left undergrad and consequently lost a lot of free time...