Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

As horrible as all the writing right out the gate is in SC2, it's by far and away the most fun single player RTS experience ever made. Every campaign on Brutal is an absolute joy to play with a ton of variety in both mission objectives and how to approach them, and you can do all kinds of hilariously whacky poo poo once you really know what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Phelddagrif posted:

Love the gameplay in this, even if the writing is lacking. It's just a fun campaign, even on Brutal (though I've no idea how I ever beat the last mission, what a difficulty spike). Enjoying the LP so far!

A month ago I did a run through Brutal and for the first time figured hey I'll try the air version since I got all the ship upgrades for an achievement anyway. I won the mission with 0 supply remaining having bought the last ten seconds by floating all my buildings and running my SCVs into the zerg head first after my entire army died to the last wave.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Tychus is one of the new characters introduced I actually like. He's got a fun personality, a great voice performance, and he's got a fair number of scenes that are actually not bad. He also takes center stage on some of the most fun missions in the campaign. Even when stupid poo poo with him happens in the plot, he has fairly good reasons for doing what he does and the stuff that doesn't work about those scenes has nothing to do with him.

There's only one new character I think is better then Tychus, but he doesn't appear until Legacy of the Void.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah this is one of the big reasons I love Wings so much. There's a lot of wild poo poo you can do by going in certain orders to bring specific units to specific missions and the majority of the upgrades are actually quite good so you can really push out performance out of the units you like the most. There's some stuff that obviously stands out above the rest like the Marine upgrades, but this is a great idea that the other two campaigns still do well.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Reapers are bad for most of the campaign, but they've got a few good niche uses periodically throughout the campaign. On the Hellion mission you can mass Reaper instead and completely obliterate everything since anti light shreds all the attack waves, they move fast, and the anti building bombs let them clear structures quickly. They can also backdoor some structures on specific missions a lot more effectively then any other unit can.

Most of the time you have perfectly viable alternatives to using your new unit, sometimes even better ones based on what you've gotten access to. I've almost never used Diamondbacks on the Great Train Robbery, I just set up siege lines and bunkers so the trains vaporize the moment they come in range. Ghosts can also screw with a lot of missions between the cloak and nukes.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Reapers are loving incredible in Outbreak and shred the map to pieces on both defense and offence.

Firebats are pretty much unsalvageable in the base game as the job of killing zerglings just really isn't worth the dedicated unit spot when other units can do it and still do other things. The Moebius Mod actually made them really nasty since they're significantly more durable and have the ability to melt away enemy armor and nullify zerg regeneration. This made them not only genuinely pretty tanky and able to frontline for your army and take some hits, they were basically your best answer to things like Ultralisks by making your units backing them up actually able to kill the Ultras before you got shredded. They were pretty much a few of mainstay of my entire Moebius Nightmare playthrough in any mission that had Zerg.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah the idea that SC2 demands you follow its script is like actively wrong. It's encouraging you to engage with it in a fast paced way due to the mission design and that's generally by far the most fun way to engage with RTS games, but nothing is stopping you in a lot of missions from just ignoring optional objectives and turtling up until you can A move the map. There's also multiple missions that are designed around the idea of fortifying up a massive base to hold a location or to eventually A move the map into oblivion.

The game rewards you though for engaging with it in the way it wants you to, and that's a good thing honestly. It's like the difference in playing Devil May Cry by standing back and spamming the Grenade Launcher or actively going into melee and trying to style. It's a good thing when games encourage players to engage with them in the most dynamic way they allow, and SC2 is really good about rewarding aggressive or fast paced approaches to situations. There's a lot of really whacky solutions to a lot of missions that are really fun to do.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Eeepies posted:

This mission is everything wrong with map design. A defense mission except that the enemies are all light and swarmy so you don't have room to experiment, mindless aggression during the day, nothing to explore, and even people who don't know the missile turret cheese can just station units next to infestors when they come out to kill them quickly.

Eh this mission is fun enough on Brutal to tear through with Reapers.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I used to poo poo on Devil Dogs but after my last Brutal run where I noticed they had managed to drag themselves through the entire map without dying and soaking up a bunch of damage for my more valuable units they've grown on me a bit. Regular unit is still trash though.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Terran Bio Balls are insanely powerful in the campaign and can stomp it into the ground even on Brutal. In multiplayer I know they also used to be a massive threat, though I have no idea if that is still the case.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I'm glad it's not just me that thinks Zeratul was completely butchered in SC2. Pretty much nothing that made the character interesting or cool remains except his design and even that just feels lacking compared to what we see of him in SC1.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The Hercules has a few missions, particularly The Moebius Factor where it's really fun to use on higher difficulties. It's also really rad in the Moebius mod where it can land and then produce units like a structure.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Predator is the emperor of meme units in SC2

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

R O C K

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The final Protoss mission is actually pretty fun on Brutal.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Ghosts are far superior to spectres and are arguably top three units in the game, especially once you get to the final few missions. That said this isn’t Brutal so they’re not needed and even on Brutal you can go without them no problem.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Rhonne posted:

I feel like in a different version of this game, you'd start the campaign playing as Nova for a few missions before she's abandoned to die by Mengsk the same way he did to Kerrigan, only for her to be saved by Raynor. Then the game follows Nova joining Raynor's Raiders to fight the Dominion and the zerg threat and Jim gets a chance to do right by Nova where he failed with Kerrigan.

This would be pretty cool actually, I've never thought of that before.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

WoL has the most time and attention put into it and I think it comes together the best on Brutal for a satisfying experience with a lot of mission variety and approaches. HoS just kind of sucks outside of some hilariously broken bullshit. LotV is really great when it's on the ball and on par with WoL but also has the most samey mission design of all three campaigns.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah Snipe is completely broken and a big part of it is Zerg being the endgame map enemy, so you can just hose down almost every single priority target if you can mass snipe them quickly enough.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I don’t think I’ve ever even bothered to use the Wraith in this mission I just made Vikings instead.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The majority of Legacy is better than Heart, though that’s not saying much.

But then lol there’s the epilogue

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Co Op is a lot of fun and while it's got problems like Zeratul being obnoxiously overpowered it is something that RTS really needs to revisit to pick up steam.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Vikings are incredible at air to air and completely dumpster Wraiths in the role, which is pretty much all they need to do when paired with one of the upcoming units we're likely about to see.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

This is a very fun mission. It's where I found my love of Viking/Banshee pushes.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The idea of a Zerg cure is so hilariously dumb. Selendis is also way cooler then the doctor. Also the mission you get siding with Selendis is way better.

Burn them all, Protoss for life.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

FoolyCharged posted:

And even at their peak of it, the ongoing warcraft 3 lp is a pretty good showing that it wasn't nearly as high of a peak as my rose colored glasses remembered.

Nah WC3 is mostly fine.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

It’s also an RTS from the early 2000s. It’s got some really memorable highs and most of the rest is just to suffice moving the gameplay along which is the star. It’s basically the same deal as SC1 to SC2, just still mostly sparse enough it doesn’t get as bad as 2. It also helps most of the campaigns besides Undead RoC are extremely fun to play and well designed though reforged botched a lot of that.

Nothing in 3 is really as offensively dumb and overwrought as SC2 gets

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

It doesn't even really matter if it's a retcon, it's just insanely loving boring to turn the Zerg into corrupted noble savages to try to and pull an Orcs with them.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

All of the Terran themes for SC2 are loving excellent.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The air version is by far the harder version of the final battle, especially on Brutal.

The Leviathan and non stop waves of Brood Lords demand a lot more to answer then the Nydus networks. You can go all in on Siege Tanks and Bunkers and effectively completely dismantle the ground version of the map even on Brutal as you'll vaporize anything that even remotely comes close to your base, and just Mercenary Vikings will answer the small number of air units. Build a squad of Banshees and you can just erase every Nydus Worm pretty rapidly after they spawn.

Brood Lords are a much, much bigger threat to bunker/planetary fortress and siege tank walls then the Nydus networks are, as even if you're slow to kill the Nydus worms you should still be able to just massacre almost everything that comes out of them. You then need to dedicate a lot more supply to Vikings or other anti air, as Missile Turrets don't have the range to stop Brood Lords. Ghosts in bunkers can shoot back at Brood Lords if they're fully upgraded as well as hop out to snipe them though.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

disposablewords posted:

It occurs to me that I've never really done a proper bio-ball outside of early missions where it's pretty much mandatory thanks to limited unit selection. I just love high end expensive ships and tanks and such too much. But to out-swarm the Swarm, hm...

It is insanely loving satisfying to build an MMM blob and then lose almost nothing stutter stepping a much bigger army while everything your guys shoot turns to dust.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Dumb as gently caress story decisions aside, this is one of the most fun RTS stages in the genre on Brutal. How utterly batshit this stage got by the end in the Moebius mod is one of my fondest memories of SC2

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

LotV has one of the greatest character in Starcraft so it earns points on that back alone.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

hell yeah here we go

as fun as HotS can be to play this is one of the most insanely gigantic jumps off a cliff in terms of storytelling I've ever loving seen, and it's not like we were particularly high up in WoL to begin with!

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

HotS also has a problem where it's the biggest drastic difference between how its campaign faction plays compared to the multiplayer. There's so many drastic differences between the campaign Zerg and multiplayer Zerg, particularly with queens, that you're not actually picking up a lot of the most important basics of playing the race.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I usually don’t mind at all and prefer the single player be developed to focus on single player, but between the main gimmick and the way Queens work campaign Zerg are just so far removed from multiplayer Zerg it’s kind of wild.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah Kerrigan is the downfall of HotS and why it's probably the weakest overall campaign gameplay wise despite having some of the coolest missions in RTS history. She's so insanely overpowered in every conceivable way that you don't really have to engage with any of the more interesting Zerg units, they're just better off as meat shields for Kerrigan to kill everything.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

That line about the Protoss killing Zerg is one of the funniest lines in all three campaigns and I fondly remember bursting out laughing that they said it with a straight face.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Why are you like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

This mission rules to actually play even if the writing is hilariously bad