Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Oh nice!

I hope there's going to be more of what's going on in the SC1 thread. Or even if it isn't. I don't care.

I liked the updated graphics of SC2, and the gameplay felt significantly easier (I guess). There was a lot of improvement in general so far as gameplay is concerned. But yeah, the story was a bit weird. And yeah, the romance thing came out of nowhere, because Raynor flirted with Kerrigan, but it was more in a "He'll hit on anything in a dress" sort of way. I mean, it was an unsubtle way to introduce that Kerrigan is a telepath, and that was it.

Was he even broken up about her getting killed in SC1? Where is that post...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh, yeah, I won't disagree that she's definitely whiter, she's been prettied up in an odd way that more or less erases what she originally looked like, and removing the dreads was an odd choice, too, I thought you implied she was clearly of some minority ethnicity in SC1 and that had been deleted. My bad.

I do remember her looking a bit weirder in the original game and then overly prettied up in the sequel (and the cancelled Ghost game, but yeah, I always shrugged that off as a "game" thing. Y'know, that things look funny in games because they can't quite render them right. So characters have hair that looks like dreadlocks because you can't render individual strands of hair. Or the face has funny features so that they can animate the face better.

Tenebrais posted:

He was definitely angry at Mengsk for abandoning her on Tarsonis, and there's a line in the Protoss campaign where Tassadar (or was it Zeratul?) comments on his feelings for her on Char. They definitely had a bond when they were fighting together in the Sons of Korhal.

That was kinda my read of it too.

I was all like, "Yeah, they turned it into a romance because she's literally the only female character in the game." I mean, if it weren't her, they'd have to get Raynor to romance the computer AI lady.

Kinda like what they did with the female elf character in the Hobbit movie series...

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

D'you know, I like Tychus. I like the character. I like how laid back he is, and he's not really into this revolutionary stuff. And he seems to be genuinely friends with Raynor, but since I've never completed the game, I have no idea if that's meant to be an act.

Of course, that just made that opening cinematic so confusing, because it looks like he's supposed to be used to get at Raynor, and he doesn't immediately, which sorta threw me off.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Is it possible to clear the whole map before the end? The computer will eventually cheat in units anyway, but can you clear the rest of it, and keep it clear?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Gun Jam posted:

In fairness, so did everyone, 'cept the ones actually writing this thing.

Didn't the guys doing the SC2 VLP say that as well?

That'd been a good LP. The guy doing it was really great at micro. It was fun to watch. But also terrifying.

"Man, I could never play that well... how does he do it?!"

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Ashsaber posted:

Fun fact, remember the horrible scream from the Terran Academy tech building in 1? That is the resocialization in action.

No! My innocent childhood!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

So, you get limited cash throughout the campaign, right? Is it better to buy upgrades for units, or to buy mercenaries?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

BisbyWorl posted:

Unit Spotlight: Marine

Yes! Brilliant! It's stuff like this that keeps me coming back!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

The field manual makes the Marines even more like WH40k Space Marines. The armour sealing to prevent bleeding out, the design of the greaves....

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Having the doc working on a "cure" to the Zerg virus is a bit of a weird thing. It's like, "Didn't anyone think of that earlier?" I mean, yeah, okay, we're led to believe that the Terrans were all like, "Oooh, biological weapons," and the Protoss were all like, "Burn the unclean!", but you'd think someone would've also been all like, "Can we fight it?"

And I don't think you should...? Because yeah, I never thought of it as a virus thing. A parasite, sure, that eats into you and integrates you into it. Like the Many in System Shock, or yes, obviously the Tyranids.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Calax posted:

I think in the SC1 manual when they talked about the origins of the Zerg (so le-ancient lore) The original form of the zerg was a bug/parasite that would hook to the base of the spinal cord/nervous system and seize control that way.

That's pretty much what was in my head. A ganglia of nerve cells that insinuate themselves into the person's CNS and then slowly take over. Instruct the body to form different types of cells that produce mucus or organic barbs or whatever weird stuff is part of Zerg bio-weaponry.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Aces High posted:

I think SC1 EU stuff (whether it was a book or a comic, I do not remember) showed that if a captured Terran didn't even have a sufficient psionic makeup they would basically go brain dead from the zergification process, and so the only use the Overmind could think up was to turn them into man-powered IEDs. The story I specifically remember this for was one where Kerrigan captured a UED medic and was experimenting to see if she could get the same results as the Overmind got when creating the Queen of Blades. After a certain point, the medic's personality got erased and Kerrigan's reaction was basically that Top Gear meme

Actually, I thought the entire point of Kerrigan is that she is psionic which is why she got turned into the Queen of Blades. Non-psionic humans are only good for cannon-fodder in Zerg eyes.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

No high heels.

Still, even in the older pictures, she's "sexy lady with alien bits on". Except for the claws. Those are nicer on the remaster.

The things on the back though... they seem to have a "fallen angel wings" look to them, don't they? Like bat wings that lost their membrane thingies. In the older renders, they look like weird claw things, and I think they're rendered more like a cape when she's moving?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

RevolverDivider posted:

I used to poo poo on Devil Dogs but after my last Brutal run where I noticed they had managed to drag themselves through the entire map without dying and soaking up a bunch of damage for my more valuable units they've grown on me a bit. Regular unit is still trash though.

The Merc units get the upgrades, right? So were the Devil Dogs upgraded, or just the base units?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Is everyone meant to be slightly suspicious? Are you meant to be distrustful of everyone in your team? Does anything come of it?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Hey! Swanky! Faux leather seats! This is the good stuff.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Flying Tanks!

Actually, I have no idea. But flying tanks are the best.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a35539961/brief-history-of-the-flying-tank/

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I'm not very enthused about the model. The SC1 was... not better, but I liked it better. It looked more bulbous, sorta fit in with the overall aesthetic better.

Are Terrans better as a bio army as compared to SC1?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Calax posted:

Battletech would like a word.

It's kind of Mad Dog-ish, but it looks a bit more... I dunno, like a smaller Light Mech. Can't quite remember which one, but it's like a small Argus.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Oh, this mission! I remember when that other guy was doing his playthrough. That'd been good.

Tanks for the memory!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

BisbyWorl posted:

Oh I think you do, 'James Raynor'. Something was on this ship just now. I still smell it on you. Protoss...interestin'...

Why does Tosh put Raynor's name in quotes? It's a funny thing to emphasize. I'm guessing it's supposed to call back to how Zeratul spoke to him, but it sounds more like he's saying that isn't his real name.

Y'know, I never pegged on that the alcoholism thing was supposed to be more significant. I thought it was just more of the "cowboy" trope. Y'know, with the hard drinking, and the shooting at televisions, and stuff like that.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Bloody Pom posted:

Hell, one simple change that would have made me less annoyed about WoL's setup would have been to replace the photo of Kerrigan with one of, I don't know, younger Raynor leaning against one of Fenix's dragoon legs and grinning like a dipshit.

That would be so loving cool. I mean, yes! That would be an instant reminder of what a gutpunch it was when Fenix dies... and how Kerrigan mocked Raynor about it.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I'm surprised there's nothing about cupholders. Considering the universe, you'd think there would be.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I liked how prophecies worked in VtM: Bloodlines. Rosa spoils the plot for you, but not necessarily in the way you'd thought.

But VtM has prophecy and magic baked into it with the Malks anyway, so it's not as jarring.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Yes, I think so. Just get 'em out of the way, get all of that research done, and be OP for the rest of the campaign.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Kith posted:

Alcoholism Narrative Reference Counter: 7

Weren't there two of them in that update? Somebody said that he looked rougher than usual...

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Hwurmp posted:

actually it's eight layers

Should start playing "Non, je ne Regrette Rien" so we can start kicking our way out.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

"Nuke Cola". Reference to Fallout, or just a generic dystopian sci-fi thing?

Edit: Images on the previous page, sorry.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Here's the thing...

Prophecy can be done well.

Hackneyed tropes can be done well.

Even retcons can be done well.

E.g. The Sith Lords. A lot of it is a mix of Star Wars and Planescape Torment. It retcons what was going on with Revan.

But you have to have someone who actually knows how to write. Maybe respects the material. Takes the time to actually think about the story rather than just look for the easiest way to resolve lingering plot threads.

What's frustrating about the writing is that it's lazy. It is so lazy, and awful, and inconsistent. No-one took any effort, which is a shame because as great as the gameplay of the first game was (accidentally, as I've understood it), it was the writing that made it memorable.

Y'know what it reminds me of? The Thundercats reboot. It was so bad. Characterization shifted from episode to episode. Entire episodes where nothing happens, and then episodes where the story lurches forward. I'm so glad it ended after a season, because it needed to be put out of its misery.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

VostokProgram posted:

you could make a really funny story where each villain points to an even bigger threat over and over until the characters begin to think it's turtles all the way up

Procedurally generated villains?

"Summon Bigger Fish"?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

bladededge posted:

A master immediately lifts off and moves to an island or inaccessible mountain at the start of the game and techs straight to cloaked wraiths on offense while the opponent wastes time on things like scouting or building a ground army.

This sounds like the sort of thing I would do which makes me a bit suspicious about it. I read in a book about military tactics that amateurs are always looking for a superweapon or trick to overwhelmingly beat opponents, and solid (albeit) boring tactics in the hands of a veteran will win every single time.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Yes, but that wasn't the assignment. The post was about how a "master" would defend instead of walling.

I always thought RTS favoured a more Jeet Kune Do approach; you intercept attacks with attacks of your own.

EDIT: Sorry, I was also replying to MagusofStars.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Well, at least it's over and done with. We can now get back to the Interstellar Adventures of Raynor's Rogues.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Tosh's before Novas. You know it to be true.

I dunno, this choice. It's like, it's not really between Tosh and Nova. Ghosts are better units, but Tosh is better than Nova. So, do you make a gameplay choice, or do you make a story choice?

Gotta confess, I'll stick with story, what little there is.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

BisbyWorl posted:

This mission doesn't even get a token ending cutscene. It just cuts to the results screen.

Because clearly, you done chose wrong.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Wing Commander: Prophecy had a branching campaign as well, but that was based on if you were able to hit certain objectives or not.

The odd thing (that I remember, anyway) is that if you did badly at missions, the next missions were even harder, so really, once you start losing, you're going to go on losing. It makes sense from a story perspective, but really sucked from a gameplay perspective.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Warmachine posted:

The fact they are the only unit with that property more or less nullifies the niche because it can't synergize with anything else. This might be cool on an early game harassment unit (like reapers!) except that... well, it's not an early game unit and the campaign doesn't reward harassment.

Would they be better with better micro, i.e. keep moving them around while firing?

Do units get a penalty to shooting at moving units? I'm thinking of Dawn of War that had a bunch of this stuff...

Is it the price versus performance that makes the Diamondbacks a middling unit?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

People die when they are killed.

... how much further can we drag this out?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

Maybe, sitting on her throne, supported by two giant ultralisks and a billion skulls, Kerrigan is the one who stares into the stellar blackness and goes: "...huh, this doesn't feel as good as I thought it would." and she silently abdicates the throne in some way, leaving the Zerg to slowly slip her grip as she goes looking for something with meaning to her. Wings of Liberty could still be about knocking the Zerg about and dealing with Mengsk, but Kerrigan's plotline could instead literally be her having found a hobby(amateur Xel'naga archeology, maybe) and popping up at odd places, raiding Protoss vaults, in the middle of backwater planets doing her own little zergy archeology digs, etc. It could explain why the Zerg are giving humanity a breather rather than just mercilessly curbstomping them utterly, they're confused, infighting and many of them, except for Kerrigan's personal guard, are still finding their new footing. If you still wanted to keep the stellar threat, it could certainly just be Kerrigan intentionally or unintentionally loving things up with her new goals. She would be a far more compelling villain than Samir Duran.

Oooh, I kinda love this...

Given the choice, whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire, or to challenge the fates for another throw, a better throw against one's destiny - what was a queen bitch to do?

Get Amy Hennig to write it. Instant classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

BisbyWorl posted:

Field Manual Artwork

It looks awesome. I just wish it was in a different genre of game.