Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I don't think it's wrong to pick up romantic vibes from Raynor/Kerrigan in SC1, because I got them too, but what I liked about their relationship in SC1 was how it wasn't the pure melodrama it became in the sequel, which we're already seeing in the intro cutscene. It's fairly obvious they had a thing for each other in the OG Terran campaign, possibly even slept together, but to me it read as just that: two people who were believably kinda into each other, not ~*~TRUE LOVE~*~ to span the lifetime of the universe. I can't really go into detail because of spoilers, but pretty much all of my issues with their relationship in SC2 come back to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I particularly hate how the prophecy turns Kerrigan into a completely worthless "villain". The idea of her going all "lol nothing matters" could work in a vacuum I guess, but like... why is she gloating about how the prophecy says the universe is doomed while simultaneously trying to keep anyone from reading it? If she's convinced she's gonna die anyway, what is her motivation for doing literally anything anymore beyond :moreevil:? And most importantly, why are we supposed to care about her being the big bad if she's not actually the big bad?

It could maybe work if Kerrigan was somehow in league with the Xel'Naga, or helping them return ala Saren in Mass Effect, but as it stands, Kerrigan is no longer a character with any believable goals--just a plot device that we're only fighting because The Prophecy Said But Thou Must. It's lazy as hell and completely dismantles one of the cooler characters Blizzard created.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Didn't the Pondering show us that the Overmind infested Kerrigan with the express purpose of creating an agent that could act outside of whatever was ~*corrupting*~ it? Kerrigan actually being under the control of the big bad the whole time doesn't just fail to make sense in the context of SC1, it makes no sense in the context of this game.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

It's nothing compared to the butchering of Kerrigan's character, but I find it hilarious that despite having a free ride on a gleaming space station, Raynor still hasn't bothered to shower or change out of his sweat-stained shirt.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

painedforever posted:

Is this why I feel so doughy and cheesy?
You are what you eat, as they say.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I feel like I'm already having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of a world where might makes right and the only law is consuming others to absorb them into yourself and thereby grow stronger... but also (judging from the mission preview) it just so happens to have a designated Proving Grounds for the anticipated Chosen One to be Tested to gain the true power of the planet. This is gonna be really stupid, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

the Orb of Zot posted:

The real crazy part is the implication that Kerrigan is even stronger now than ever before.
The full calculating might of the Overmind and whatever CORRUPTION Amon added into the mix was weaker than taking a nap in the Primal Zerg’s origin pool.
The question I keep wanting to ask is "but what makes the pool so special?" Like, I get why it's symbolically extremely important to the primal zerg, because it's one of the most important parts of their history, but the narrative makes zero attempt to explain why this pool is the Pool of Power Overwhelming. Zeratul and the Ancient One just say "it has power, no nobody has ever actually gained power from this place but really it has power we swear" and everyone goes along with it. But, like, why? What gives it power?