Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bad Purchase posted:

i consider myself a citizen of the world and thus no language is foreign to me op

I’m a citizen of uranus. :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Native English. My dad learned British English due to the whole “imperialism” thing so I can sniff the diff, but I switch between American and British, usually at work.

Learned Swedish moving over here, and that’s used essentially with anyone not my partner, family, work or friends (and the latter I’ll Swinglish if I can’t think of a word). It’s harder for Swedes to speak Swedish to me sometimes, which I gleefully exploit. Hearing myself speak Swedish sounds like I’m listening to Animal Crossing’s Animalese.

Relearning Spanish. I was solid up until HS and then came the apathy. But a Spanish exchange program when I was fourteen gave me the confidence to learn Swedish and use it. I owe that teacher a debt of gratitude.

And since I’m a slut for pain, I’m currently learning Finnish. It’s a lot of pattern recognition and repeated letters.

Someday I’ll learn Italian or Igbo.

Samovar posted:

Conversational Swedish. But when people speak it quickly (and they do) I can get lost pretty easily.

Still prefer North Sweden's pronunciation of 'Sju' over Southern Sweden's.

see I thought you were cool

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
English native, took Spanish in 4th, then 9th, 10th, 11th grade. 3 years of University Swedish, and a year in Sweden, where I had to pretend to be a German to get people to not 'practice their American '. Later I found out being told you speak Swedish like a German is *not* a compliment, but better than being told that you speak like an American. I honest to God saw Americans trying to shout English, like not comprehending it was hearing impairment?

440 says into Spanish Duolingo, about to jump on italki bandwagon, to start getting 1 on 1 speaking coaching. Thinking of choosing Peruvian Spanish, since I think they don't use vosotros and there is a YouTube chef I love from there. (AbelCA!)

Gorgeous Zan
Apr 13, 2007

New Haven Yacht Club
Native English.

Conversational Danish which was tough because I'm Canadian, and my colleagues and people I interacted with all spoke English so they'd be polite and speak English with me. A lot of wearing a "Je Laerer Dansk" sticker on my jacket when I was out and about to keep people from switching into English by default. I do tend to get a bit lost when the velocity of a conversation ramps up. Need to practice it more since moving home.

Would like to learn Spanish or Portuguese next. Is Duolingo worthwhile?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
That sticker idea is loving brilliant and certainly more wiser than my “steamroll the Swedes” method.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I talk to Jesus in tongues

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

teen witch posted:

see I thought you were cool

Hey, at least I can ask about the hospital without having to say "khyook-huset"

Also, we say hello without needing to say a word up here!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

Hey, at least I can ask about the hospital without having to say "khyook-huset"

Also, we say hello without needing to say a word up here!

I’ve been pronouncing it kinda like 'wh’ook-huset' - wonder if it’s another shex/keks thing like with “kex”

for the record it’s keks

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

teen witch posted:

I’ve been pronouncing it kinda like 'wh’ook-huset' - wonder if it’s another shex/keks thing like with “kex”

for the record it’s keks

Oh, no disagreements re. Kex.

No disagreements here at all.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

teen witch posted:

for the record it’s keks

It's sjukhus with a u not oo, there's a distinct difference. Sorry. That's also why "sju" is basically impossible for non-swedes to pronounciate. First the awesome guttural sje-sound and than the uuuu.

I was born in Gothenburg, where they say shex, but I live in Stockholm now and have switched over to saying kex. It just happened after a few years.

Anyway Swedish, Norwegian and Danish by default. English, German, and Polish. And some Spanish.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Von Pluring posted:

It's sjukhus with a u not oo, there's a distinct difference. Sorry. That's also why "sju" is basically impossible for non-swedes to pronounciate. First the awesome guttural sje-sound and than the uuuu.

I was born in Gothenburg, where they say shex, but I live in Stockholm now and have switched over to saying kex. It just happened after a few years.

Anyway Swedish, Norwegian and Danish by default. English, German, and Polish. And some Spanish.

I may have also been describing it phonetically because oo-u I tend to pronounce similarly. When I say sjuksköterska, it sounds more u than oo, sjukhus not so much.

My main SFI teacher was from Umeå and I live in Eskilstuna so my Swedish accent is a mess in spots.

Better than Skånska iaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The Swedish sj is a thing of wonder. I tend to mangle it to sh, but nobody expects Svorsk to sound good anyway.

Native Norwegian, and the usual cultural hegemony immersion in English. I had German in school but haven't really kept up on it, so every sentence is like a little "find the cognate" puzzle - though I can mostly follow the TV news without subtitles.

Dutch is fun, I can't follow a conversation (except that every so often a sentence is suddenly "Norwegian with a weird accent" or "basically German") but I can kind of guess my way through simpler text. I should use duolingo or something to get familiar with the most common non-obvious words. :)

And for whoever was learning Finnish: Godspeed, that's a project. I lived there for a month and appreciated the surprisingly approachable pronunciation rules, but you notice real quick that the only shared vocabulary is some loan words.