Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The show definitely goes off a cliff towards the end, but there's still some good stuff in those last few seasons. I really love the episode when you finally see Michaels' movie and everyone's appearances vary wildly from scene to scene based on when they were supposedly filmed. And then Toby's head explodes with incredible special effects, a slow motion camera, and multiple angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
they should make a new office but insterad of working in the office they all work from hom e lol could you imnagine that?

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

A Fancy Hat posted:

She wasn't even that dumb when she showed up, but those last 2-3 seasons of the show turned everybody into cartoon characters.

Every sitcom does that eventually.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Erin was a moron from the first second she was in the show. The basis of her character is that she's a naďve, kind hearted idiot with little agency.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
agency deez nuts

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

A Fancy Hat posted:

The show definitely goes off a cliff towards the end, but there's still some good stuff in those last few seasons. I really love the episode when you finally see Michaels' movie and everyone's appearances vary wildly from scene to scene based on when they were supposedly filmed. And then Toby's head explodes with incredible special effects, a slow motion camera, and multiple angles.

I like when the camera crew catches up with Jan in a parking lot to tell her the movie got finished and she starts frantically clawing at her car door trying to get it open so she can flee

naem
May 29, 2011

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

She has a wholesome girl next door quality that I like and she’s funny. Yeah she’s kinda basic white girl but for the most part she means well. To be fair, I’m talking early seasons Pam. She definitely gets worse as the show goes on, but so does everyone else.

you the viewer are meant to strongly identify with Jim as The Protagonist©️™️ and Pam is that one girl at work your age that you wonder, would she date me? I bet she’d date me, she’s so plain and normal like me©️™️, we’re kind of friends©️™️©️™️ is sue almost my girlfriend!!™️©️™️©️™️©️™️©️

the early seasons play on that awkward silence office workspaces have and the Jim/Pam sneaky buddy flirting thing is a kind of universal experience

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Jim is kind of a dirtbag though

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

A Fancy Hat posted:

Threat Level Midnight owns

haljordan posted:

Jim is kind of a dirtbag though

One of the many reasons that I enjoy his portrayal in the prank thread as an unhinged obsessive (edit: self-centered) lunatic who makes everyone around him unhappy

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 1, 2023

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I think the best analogue to Jim is how Mulder was portrayed in the X-Files. Surface level he seems handsome and cool and funny, but super hosed up when you dig below the surface. Mulder had that episode that ends with him jerking off to Bigfoot footage, Jim dumped Amy Adams on a booze cruise without an ounce of emotion in his voice or face while he did it.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Or when he goes to Utica with Michael and Dwight and Karen (rightfully) calls him out for being a selfish immature prick and he just kinda slinks out of the room without a response.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Erin was a moron from the first second she was in the show. The basis of her character is that she's a naďve, kind hearted idiot with little agency.

Her first appearance she has basically 0 personality and is an object for 2 men to fight over. Dunno why they took like multiple appearences to start building her actual character

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My hot take is the show has a really weak supporting cast outside of Carrell, Krasinski, Wilson and Fischer, and it was way better when it knew to use them in tiny doses. After Steve Carrell left they spotlighted all these ancillary characters and it really showed up how bad their acting was. The Stanley dude is the case in point — he existed in the good seasons only as an occasional punchline because he’s a god awful actor, then Carrell left and they built actual stories around him, which obviously failed in every way.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ryan lying about going to thailand when he actually just goes to fort lauderdale is pretty funny

Nov 6, 2002

Ryan is the most realistic character in the office.

That said, if the show had happened a decade later Ryan would have failed upwards into another techbro position in Silicon Valley.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

It is fun to see Rainn Wilson pop up in the news now and then pleading for attention. Let’s see he’s calling for spiritual revolution, wrote an autobiography, seems very available for interviews, and has changed his name on social media to call attention to climate change. Wonder if Carell & Krasinski still take his calls.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Later seasons have Mark Proksch, so they're not all bad.

Also, Darryl's delivery of "the coconut is... subtle" almost pays off the very dumb plot line of the warehouse guys winning the lottery.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Slugworth posted:

Later seasons have Mark Proksch, so they're not all bad.

Also, Darryl's delivery of "the coconut is... subtle" almost pays off the very dumb plot line of the warehouse guys winning the lottery.

Would you quit your job if you were one of the warehouse guys? What's 1/6 of $950k after taxes?

Nov 6, 2002

haljordan posted:

Would you quit your job if you were one of the warehouse guys? What's 1/6 of $950k after taxes?

Assuming the $950k was the lump sum payout, it would be around $590k in winnings after federal and state taxes. So about $98k.

I guess if you had a low paying blue collar job a decade ago you could live on that for a couple of years.

naem
May 29, 2011

haljordan posted:

so about $100k each for six people lump sum

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

They go steady downhill from around I want to say season 4 when they decide:

- Michael is fundamentally a nice person who loves everyone
- Dwight is fundamentally a nice person and not an incel fascist
- Jim is a marketing agency hotshot and not the beleaguered straight man having his soul destroyed

Or really, it's that they decided that The Office isn't a living hell where we can only pray Jim and Pam escape, but is actually a loving dysfunctional family.

Nov 6, 2002

Strategic Tea posted:

They go steady downhill from around I want to say season 4 when they decide:

- Michael is fundamentally a nice person who loves everyone
- Dwight is fundamentally a nice person and not an incel fascist
- Jim is a marketing agency hotshot and not the beleaguered straight man having his soul destroyed

Or really, it's that they decided that The Office isn't a living hell where we can only pray Jim and Pam escape, but is actually a loving dysfunctional family.

woah woah woah

Dwight was never an incel lol.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I like how Jim made all those huge life decisions without consulting Pam

naem
May 29, 2011

they literally cloned Jim, Dwight and Pam probably in case they lost anyone else after steve carell left

the last couple seasons were a cosplay of The Office

Nov 6, 2002

I hate both those characters so much. (not Erin).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

YeahTubaMike posted:

One of the many reasons that I enjoy his portrayal in the prank thread as an unhinged obsessive (edit: self-centered) lunatic who makes everyone around him unhappy

Even though the show usually glorifies his hilarious pranks, it's nice the few times when they show how dumb they really are, like when Jim realizes he spends most of his days wasting his life on overly elaborate pranks, or when he gets viciously owned by Dwight in a prank war.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Clark Duke: When Josh Gad Asks for too Much Money

Nov 6, 2002

Mega64 posted:

Even though the show usually glorifies his hilarious pranks, it's nice the few times when they show how dumb they really are, like when Jim realizes he spends most of his days wasting his life on overly elaborate pranks, or when he gets viciously owned by Dwight in a prank war.

Jim throws a snowball directly at Dwight's face in the middle of the office like a loving psycho and then refuses to be even slightly apologetic about it. He should have been put on unpaid leave and made to attend some kind of counseling.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Has someone made cs_theoffice?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like that they just gave Fake Dwight over to Jan because the writers decided to make her horny for underaged dudes.

Increasingly Unhinged Jan was kinda fun but I think retconning things to "Actually the assistant she slept with was only 17 at the time" wasn't the best idea.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Mega64 posted:

I like that they just gave Fake Dwight over to Jan because the writers decided to make her horny for underaged dudes.

Increasingly Unhinged Jan was kinda fun but I think retconning things to "Actually the assistant she slept with was only 17 at the time" wasn't the best idea.

"Where's the Quizno's? " does get a legit laugh out of me every time. He sounds so bummed lol

haljordan fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 1, 2023

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

naem posted:

they literally cloned Jim, Dwight and Pam probably in case they lost anyone else after steve carell left

ew

naem
May 29, 2011

hey now, they are nonthreatening caucasian males wearing carefully neutral colored shirts and they are visibly inside of the set of The©️Office™️

they interact with the other The Office©️™️ characters, look at the camera, and do those interview one one one bits

one of them has relationship issues and talks about it! That’s what people like right? The other The Office©️™️©️ characters sit there and walk by you can see them, with a subscription to PEACOCK™️©️™️©️™️©️™️

Nov 6, 2002

Pete was great in White Lotus.

naem
May 29, 2011

You wouldn’t mind if John Krazinski left right? You wouldn’t mind, that would be ok. He married Emily Blunt, he’s in movies now. Look! That guy has a blue shirt! Just like Jim! haha

I wonder what wacky hijinks [CHARACTER] will get up to in this week’s episode I bet [HE/SHE/THEY] will say [CATCHPHRASE]

naem
May 29, 2011

will they? won’t they? you bet they will! everyone is dating Erin! Everyone. Is that what you want? Theme song!

Look at the shirts! Look at em!

[CATCHPHRASE]

*jingles keys*

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

naem posted:

This stretch was the lowest part of the show for me because they just totally ran out of ideas so they decided to try re-doing stuff they'd already done.

And Ed Helms basically had one foot out the door so they decided to utterly destroy his character, making him into an even dumber version of Michael who was also super socially awkward and weird.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

The other thing that weirded me out was how insanely involved everyone was in their co-worker's lives. Every single person in the office got invited to Jim & Pam's wedding? I can barely tolerate my co-workers during working hours when I'm paid to be there.

A Fancy Hat posted:

This stretch was the lowest part of the show for me because they just totally ran out of ideas so they decided to try re-doing stuff they'd already done.

And Ed Helms basically had one foot out the door so they decided to utterly destroy his character, making him into an even dumber version of Michael who was also super socially awkward and weird.

"Hey guys I have to go film the Hangover Part III for a few months, can you write me off the show?"

"Ah yeah sure we'll have you go on a big long boat trip but everyone will think you're still working at the company and you won't get in any trouble when you get busted."

"Great! See ya!"

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Private Cumshoe posted:

Seinfeld is available on Netflix and it's a show about narcissistic idiots too OP it is a sitcom from a slightly earlier time (the jokes might be a little "racy")

Not that there’s anything wrong with that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I totally forgot the episode where Dwight uses a friggin tranquillizer gun on Stanley, the writers must've been drunk as hell for that last season.